Matchnight: United-Jabloteh

I'm thinking of placing clipboards outside each gate tonight. Spectators would be asked to sign in -- violation of civil liberties?! -- so we'll know exactly how many folks are actually here. Then again, a hand count around halftime shouldn't take too long. It's going to be grim.

This match is not part of the season ticket package. It's a gray cool weeknight. There's live TV coverage. The opponent has no American fan base. The home club isn't exactly playing inspiring futbol right now. Yes, the match is important, but if no one is here to see it, does it count?

Oh, by the way, greetings from RFK.

Pregame news: More than two hours before gametime, Santino Quaranta is running sprints along the sideline with suspended players (Moreno, Jakovic, John) and others (Janicki, Allen, N'Silu, DiRaimondo) -- an early indication that he will not be in uniform tonight. The reason: Precaution against aggravating a quadriceps strain ahead of Saturday's vital league match against Chivas USA.

The Capital Weather Gang has the RFK forecast.

Dan Steinberg's Sports Bog exposes a DCU photo shoot.

Kickoff: 8 p.m. ET.
TV: Fox Soccer Channel.
Announcers: Christian Miles, Brian Dunseth.
At Stake: A DCU win and a Marathon home loss Thursday to Toluca would clinch a Champions League quarterfinal berth. Otherwise, matters won't be settled until Oct. 20-22.

Lineups and subs later.....
DCU: Kocic; Habarugira, McTavish, James, Wallace; Khumalo, Simms, Jacobson, Fred; Gomez; Pontius. Subs: Hamid, Vaughn, Burch, Olsen, Szetela, Emilio, Shipalane.

FYI: Kocic is carrying a yellow, which means if he receives another tonight, he will miss the potentially massive finale at Toluca. Hamid and the pool goalie would be the starting options.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame contributions are encouraged. Enjoy!

By Steve Goff  |  September 30, 2009; 5:47 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Roster Outlook
Next: United Rewind

Comments

1st!!!

I predict an even more frustrating loss....

...It's called a reverse jinx people.

Posted by: RetiredShark | September 30, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there. I'm leaving in 1o minutes, and I'm even bringing someone.

Posted by: torrey151 | September 30, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Since we need a win.... My starting 11.

Vaughn--------James--------Simms------Burch

-------------------Olsen-----------------
Khumalo-------------------------------Fred
-------------------Gomez------------------

---------------------------Pontius--------
-----------------Emilio-------------------

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | September 30, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh yea, and also since the pace and skill of SJ Jabolteh isnt all that fast, and is more on the gruond oriented, i see fred, gomez, and olsen playing MUCH better vs. this team than say a MLS side.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | September 30, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh yea, forgot kocic. lol

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | September 30, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I can deal with Quaranta being in street clothes if he'll be fit to play Chivas. Frankly, if we can't win this one without him, we don't deserve to advance. With Khumalo and Fred available, the wings won't be the problem (say what you will about Fred, but I think he can do a lot of good tonight if he plays in a more direct fashion). Of course, I'm expecting Soehn to inexplicably use Szetela at right midfield, so I guess I should slow down on that optimism.

Seriously, though, this is a team with serious weaknesses in central midfield and with their outside backs. They also don't have much going on up front. We should dominate central midfield, attack the wings, and try to avoid playing high crosses (Lawrence is going to eat those up all night). Keep the ball on the ground, make this a contest of skill and soccer IQ rather than a physical battle, and we should really be able to grab 3 goals just like Toluca and Marathon did.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 30, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey, when Dadryan gets off the plane he'll have a reason to be excited about trying to do a road trip to Toronto next season.

They're putting in a whole bunch of grass at BMO.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 30, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

"Announcers: Christian Miles, Brian Dunseth."
My mute button will be put to work tonight...
Honestly, it's like 2 hours of sticking knives in my ears...

Anyways, I'm hoping Szetela plays tonight.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | September 30, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Goffinho:

What would be interesting is to find out how much of the season ticket holder base shows up. DCU made this one and last week's CCL game free to STHs. I'd love to find out how many of them took the team up on the offer. I plan to, but I fear I might be in the minority.... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | September 30, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Just a minor correction - DCU did offer season ticket holders free tickets to the last 2 CCL home games.

Posted by: srose13 | September 30, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Time for Danny Szetela to shine. Its been two months so he should def be "match fit." I would also like to Habarugira (spelling?) play sometime in this match. Our playoff hopes are bleeding, a win and marathon loss could be the bandaid of our woes.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | September 30, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

From le twitter:

Posted by: Section117 | September 30, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Any info on what Simms and Ponty did to deserve this punishment?

Should have invited some skating buddies. The ramps will not be crowded tonight.

See you there. Or not.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 30, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

FC Dallas are playing NE tonight at the cotton bowl. We all gotta hope FCD wins to help out DC in the playoff race. Currently 0-0 in the 10' and Jay Heaps goes off injured.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | September 30, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Announcers: Christian Miles, Brian Dunseth.

Well, guess who will be watching with the mute button on! Is there a DCU radio feed? I might just mute the TV and listen to Tony Limarza, if there is a broadcast tonight. I used to do that for baseball game son ESPN, because the quality of announcing was so terrible. Then I realized it wasn't just the announcing, the sport sucked too...

Posted by: kdiff813 | September 30, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Am I reading that Simms is back at D-mid?
I hope so. That will surely help.

Posted by: marksman37 | September 30, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I go to as many games as possible, but the fact that it's a wednesday night makes it less attractive than the other factors. scratch that. it's all of the factors. especially the money.

Posted by: troy6 | September 30, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

NE-0 FCD-0. Halftime. Lets go FCD! keep our playoff hopes alive

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | September 30, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Szetela. Who?

Posted by: nairbsod | September 30, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

How does the crowd look for the FCD game?

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | September 30, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

The stands are almost full. Probably 15,000 now at the FCD game. But the thing is, they are all wearing green Mexican National team jerseys. Mexico plays Columbia after the FCD/NE game.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | September 30, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

If I lived in the DC area, I'd go to this game, if only because DCU is playing someone different.

However, I currently live four times closer to Columbus than I do DC...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 30, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 30, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Contrary to the fc dallas game I think there is about 500 at the dc game

Posted by: strago | September 30, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Is it my TV, or is Fred sporting an Olsen-esque beard?

Posted by: isaac101 | September 30, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

GOALLLLLLLLLLL! GOMEZZZZZZZZZ!

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | September 30, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

anyone have a link to the game? Am watching from Japan. Don't see it on Justin.tv

Posted by: Samuraise | September 30, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | September 30, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, make that full season ticket holders. The deal didn't apply to guys like me, who hold two half-season ticket plans.

Posted by: Stevenho | September 30, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Man... You are a life saver

Posted by: Samuraise | September 30, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Here is one Samuraise. Just click on the one that says DC United vs San Juan Jabloteh

Posted by: spikeman | September 30, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I was a bit late.

Posted by: spikeman | September 30, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Wallace is currently playing really good. FCD/NE 0-0 in the 60th.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | September 30, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Cuba Gooding Jr. in goal for San Juan...

Posted by: Samuraise | September 30, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

GOALLLLLL! FREDDDDDD!

Pontius looks 10x better at lone striker than Luciano - and makes 700k less...

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | September 30, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Fred does well to not mess up a pretty easy finish. 2-0.

Boyzzz looking good considering the long layoff, and the fact that he is wearing a cast almost as big as he is.

Posted by: isaac101 | September 30, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Goal FCD - Cunningham in the 71st. FCD 1 - NE - 0.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | September 30, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

The guys look motivated tonight. Posession at this point must be 90-10 DCU. I realize that SJJ is weak but in any case we look pretty good. Hopefully we can put a couple more in so people can rest for Sat's game.

Posted by: sbg1 | September 30, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

FCD and San Jose are everyone's favorite teams lately. Although at the rate their going, FCD may need to slow down after today's win or they'll be in the playoff race too

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | September 30, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

GOALLLLLLLL! BOYZZZZZZZZZ!

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | September 30, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Where has this Gomez been all season?

Posted by: isaac101 | September 30, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

"Yes, the match is important, but if no one is here to see it, does it count?" --Goffster

Very philosophical indeed, Steve.

Hey isaac101-

Gomez has been on the bench for most of the past several games (You can thank Tommy boy)

Posted by: redskinsux | September 30, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Geez, is there anyone in the ballpark aside from the teams and the refs?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 30, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

FCD wins, every team in the playoff race (other than the Revs) breathes a sigh of relief

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | September 30, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Amazing start. Also strange how players i.e. Wallace & Pontius play really well at their natural positions. Funny how that works. From what's on display tonight EmiliSLo should not start another game EVER for DC.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | September 30, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BolivianDCFan

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
You couldn't have called it better (cept for the Oleson part)...Fred is the man o the match.

Cuba Gooding in the nets for Joe-Blow-Tech and I could be wrong but I think Elton John is really Ronaldinho.

We look great but I think Edison High School (Go Eagles) could beat Joe-Blow-Tech which is really saying something cause I doubt Edison could beat their own girls JV team.

NO INJURIES!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 30, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Szetela!

Posted by: edgeonyou | September 30, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Sztela actually on the field? My eyes deceive me.

Posted by: RetiredShark | September 30, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Went to go look up the box score...not really sure who these goal scorers are ;)

Helbert Carreiro Da Silva
Boyzz Khumalo

Posted by: Reignking | September 30, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Why does Dunseth keep talking about overall goal differential? Goff has stated all along, the first tiebreakers are head-to-head play and away goals.

Posted by: combedge | September 30, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Reaffirmation of our uncanny ability to score droves of goals when we really don't need them.

Posted by: speculation | September 30, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

This is driving me crazy. Mr Announcer it's Toe-bay-go! Just because we're a small country doesn't mean you don't have to pronounce our name right!

Posted by: Solnoir | September 30, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

And Burch gets burned.......

Posted by: SoehntheExit | September 30, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

There something about Habarugira that I like, and I really want to be impressed with him, but he just HAS to mark tighter on the back side in the box. I can't believe a professional can ball-watch that badly.

Posted by: benonthehill | September 30, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Shipalane has some confidence on the ball. I know SJJ is not defending particularly well, but it's great to see him running at players with speed and purpose.

Posted by: dcuIII | September 30, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Boyzz with a NICE goal from 20 yards out. 5-1 final.

Posted by: isaac101 | September 30, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

GREAT strike from Boyzzz...

Posted by: the_slammer | September 30, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Burch is a fault on the goal imho.

Boyzz with a nice return to action.

Gomez and Moreno should platoon the A-mid role. The pair going 60/30 in alternate matches.

Can we get Wallace and Pontius rookie of the year, they did well.

Kocic looked solid

Shipalane is a keeper

Haraburga seemed to pass the ball to the other team a lot.

Szetela can tackle and dribble and pass, why is he on the bench???

Fred, has the touch of wood now. What happened?

Nice win. Why couldn't we do this against San Jose?

Posted by: RRP1 | September 30, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Ya Speculator...Goals when we don't need em.

Oh well Dat was schweeeeet!!! I'm so freeking happy I might not beat the step-kid today!!! We goin to the knock-outs...probably!

VAMOS UNITED!!!! I

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 30, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

At a quick glance (I'm sure there are other permutations):

If Goff is right, United advances unless Marithon beats Toluca by 11 goals tomorrow.

If FSC dude is right (it would be a first) United has to wait til next matchday and hope Marithon doesn't make up the 10 goal differential.

In either case I feel as if we are in the knockouts.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 30, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Funny thing just happened. Went into a store just now and the fella noticed my DC United training jacket. He is an English guy and asked me some questions about mls, I told him that DC just beat a team from T&T. He said "it's nice to see mls teams getting win internationally.". Strange the difference of thinking on international play vs. American fans.

Posted by: evanskr521 | September 30, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, maybe not so cut and dry. I'll let the math majors work it out.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 30, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

@ evanskr521

I agree with the English bloke. I want international success almost as much or more than in the MLS.

I can't see the CONCACAF continuing with the group format much longer. By looking at the crowds in ALL stadiums for the Champs League, it can't be a money maker.

As elated as I was when the group format was announced, I'd like to see CONCACAF go back to the knockout format.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 30, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

@9Nine9

If Marathon beats both Toluca and SJJ, DCU is out unless they beat Toluca. And if Marathon ties Toluca (and it's a home game), DCU would also need a (road) tie.

Posted by: benonthehill | September 30, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Pachuca 1-0 Houston, 1st half.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 30, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

As psyched as everyone is about the win, SJJ isnt a great team. They hardly pressured on our goals (even though they did pressure when we didn't score) and they had hardly any attack to speak of (the goal displayed DC's weakness with speed attacks). As poorly as Chivas has been doing, they're a high pressure team. No way we're getting the space we got tonight.
On the other hand, some good work from the guys who have out of favor/injured lately. Gomez with 2, Boyzzz with 2, Fred with some nice plays, Szetela finally gets to play a bit.
And the rookies were nice. I loved Wallace's performance, more so than Pontius (even though he worked hard).

Posted by: Sunspot | September 30, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure all of you with HD audio clearly heard me yelling "DC U-NI-FRED!!" and "Vamos, U-Ni-Fred!" after Fred's goal.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 30, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Besides the goal scorers, I liked Pontius's intelligence on the pitch and Jacobson's overal game. And I thought Szetela was close to sensational in his 30-odd minutes. He made at least three steals; several good passes (and didn't make poor passes like Fred and Boyzzz did), and showed skill and calmness on the ball.

Posted by: b18bolo | September 30, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

@Ben Hill
Thanks for the research. I guess we could use some help from Toluca. Toluca will probably use their Under 16 team.

Umm vamos toluca (lower caps is no accident.)

Good-night ladies.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 30, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | September 30, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

So.... As someone who attended the game on Sunday and this evening, why didn't DC do half as well on Sunday when it counted?

Let the new guys play. They are the future f the club.

Good bye Tom.

Posted by: tcbannon | September 30, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

So -- I am back from my DC sports doubleheader. I was not the only one to do the trick, going to the Nats in the afternoon and United at night, but at least 2 guys missed the Nats' indescribably awesome 9th-inning comeback/walkoff win to close out their home sched. I stuck it out, but I missed Gomez' first goal.

All-in-all, this was one of the highlights of my decade-plus in the DC area. Truly thrilling baseball win, and a fun game to watch at RFK. Of course, the contrast between the two stadiums was striking. Beer flowed, and much food was consumed until the many stand started to close up shot prematurely in the 8th inning. The Nats were giving away signed jersey's and a 40" TV. The Nat Pack was tossing t-shirts to cheering crowd, and the level of the crowd's sustained excitement level during the last several at-bats was amazing. I've only seen the like a few times at United games.

Tonight, at RFK, you had to walk far and wide (and high) to find the one open carne asada stand, and then back down a level to find an open beer stand. Still, the game was fun...

Posted by: fischy | September 30, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

A United win and a Mexico loss, a great night for futbol.

Loves it when Telemundo shows half the stadium emptying out when Mexico is losing. Sore losers they are!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 30, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the game -- I learned something tonight. There is a limit to Fred's suckitude. Sure, he scored a gimme goal thanks to a great set by Pontius(?) -- but, anyone could have scored that one. He fouled up so many attacks in the box that I was declaring there was no limit to his suckitude....until the 90th minute. He managed not to fall over, handle the ball, turn it over, or otherwise mangle the play. Instead, while he almost lost his footing, he regained his balance, stayed in control of the ball, and found an open man to pass to -- and Khumalo hit a wicked shot that curled back just inside the post.

So, if anyone tells you that Fred's suckitude is boundless, you can point to that play and tell them they're wrong.

Posted by: fischy | September 30, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

"Truly thrilling baseball win"--fischy

If something like that even exists.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 30, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tcbannon | September 30, 2009 11:44 PM |
------------------------------------------------------------

That's an easy one. San Jose Earthquakes are 150x better than San Juan Jabloteh.

As proof -- Exhibit A - the career of one Cornell Glen. He starred for Jabloteh early this decade. He made the move up to MLS, where he's a bench player for the Earthquakes. A good player -- one of the best Trinidadians, mind you -- but not even a regular starter for the Earthquakes.

Posted by: fischy | September 30, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

fischy-

I really wouldn't have expected you to be a baseball guy...Have you always been? Can you actively watch baseball and not get utterly bored? If so, how? Were you "watching" the game but really talking on your cell phone or reading a book?

I've been to a baseball game and enjoyed only because of the experience. I was with friends, we talked, joked, etc. Very little attention paid to the game.
But I couldn't go to a baseball game and be actively engaged in the game.

Posted by: redskinsux | October 1, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Redskinsux: No one goes to a baseball game an actively engages it under the age of 73.

I lived in STL for a while and would go to the Cardinals games just to get drunk with buddies. (Now I am a pretend Cardinal fan, aka I watch the highlights on Sportcenter)

We are the greatest team ever!!! I am just joking. I hope Toluca wins tomorrow so we go through. Go result in Dallas for us tonight.

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 1, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

@redskinssux -- I've always been a baseball guy, and grown into even more of one as I got older and gained appreciation for the sport. I think it's an amazing, sublime game, even though I was always pretty terrible at it. Sure, there are slow, dull moments. You can say the same about any sport. However, if you actually understand the intricacies of the game -- positioning, strategy -- as well as the athleticism, then even the slow moments can be interesting. That said, I'm not hear to preach the gospel about baseball, save to say that I believe international baseball competition could one day be in the same breath with the World Cup and the Olympics as greatly anticipated and widely watched events on the sporting calendar -- if the lords of baseball don't screw it up.

Posted by: fischy | October 1, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

"Best part about attending a game with so few spectators? The fact that one can heckle the side ref in Spanish and KNOW he could hear every word one says. :-)" --JuanJohn

Apparently the ref also understood Burundian pretty well - how else to explain Habarugira's soft yellow?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 1, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Goff's gamer is up. This "G?mez" was pretty active tonight -- he's all over the article, and is even quoted. I'm dying to see if it makes the paper that way, or if this is only happens online. I noticed the "G?mez" thing in an online piece last week....

Posted by: fischy | October 1, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

I like baseball as well even though I'm younger than 73. :)

Posted by: croftonpost | October 1, 2009 3:17 AM | Report abuse

@ Fichey

Fred suckitude? Not last night. Were you still talking about the Nats game? Is there a Fred on the Nats team? Fred was the man o the match in my book though I wouldn't argue against Gomez!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 1, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Solnoi
=================

Don't take it personally. FSC announcers screw up half the names that come out of their mouth. Although, I think they did get Tunapuna right for a Joe Public match.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 1, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Goff, your reporting is getting more sorry as you report on the fact that no one is there. How about you do your job and leave out the grim statistics.

Posted by: RicoSuave4 | October 1, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse