MLS Playoff Race

Real Salt Lake 9-9-6, 33
D.C. United 7-5-12, 33
Toronto 8-9-7, 31
Kansas City 6-10-6, 24
Dallas 6-11-6, 24
San Jose 5-12-5, 20
UNC Women (No. 1 Tar Heels rout No. 2 Notre Dame, 6-0)
New York 4-16-4, 16

For our purposes, the first tiebreaker goes to the club that has played the fewest matches. Next is head-to-head and then goal differential.

FIRST-ROUND PAIRINGS
Eastern
Columbus vs. Chivas USA
Chicago vs. New England
Western
Houston vs. Seattle
Los Angeles vs. Colorado

By Steve Goff  |  September 7, 2009; 12:52 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Is This a Penalty?
Next: Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

Not thread related, but it's come to my attention, through sources who cannot be named, that Danny Szetela has been benched for simply missing a practice due to partying too hard the night prior...

It would be understandable if he was benched for 1-3 matches, and fined a week's wages. Anything beyond is simply ludicrous.

This is a player who has the tools and ability to help United through this busy stretch, and Tommy has decided instead to bench him.

If I won some sort of lottery which bestowed upon me $100+ million, I'd buy United, and fire everyone below Kevin Payne. Some players would be hired back, some not... Coaches? Maybe Mark Simpson.

Posted by: alecw81 | September 7, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Goff, keep up your not so subtle digs at the Red Bulls. And, yes, I think the UNC women would beat the Bulls.

Posted by: delantero | September 7, 2009 1:41 AM | Report abuse

You'll never see me calling for a coaches head just because we lost a game, but I do wonder about the relative severity of in-house punishments. I refuse to believe that Soehn would bench him for so long without a good reason (like, say, Wicks, who probably ought to have missed a few starts).

Still, I think Szetela has a bit of an upside and I'd hate to see him demand a trade over this, unless the offense is worth it. And if that's the case, we're probably better off without him taking up roster space. So what gives?

Posted by: vivzig | September 7, 2009 2:05 AM | Report abuse

Be careful delantero, the UNC women might make the MLS playoffs.

Posted by: sitruc | September 7, 2009 2:37 AM | Report abuse

I just find the Szetela situation disheartening because we know so little. All we have is speculation, no offense alecw81 (you could be right, but who knows?).

I am always someone who preaches consistency. Therefore, if we take my consistency logic, and attempt to understand the Setezla case, the scenario doesn't look good. If Wicks' "stomp" is not even worthy of a suspension. Then, through my theory of consistency, whatever Setezla did must have been horrible.

In regards to the playoffs we are in a bit of a jam as several teams have played less games then us. The only advantage is we get to play the teams around us down the stretch. DC can make the playoffs but I would say we have one of the harder paths comparable to other teams.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 7, 2009 3:57 AM | Report abuse

Seems Red Bull fans have more to cheer about these days with their 2 game win streak and a beautiful sss on the way. I hope we make the playoffs but we don't seem to be in a position to rip on anyone.

Then again, it was kind of funny.

Posted by: DCB23 | September 7, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

I think the fans deserve a (expletive) answer about Szetela.

vivzig-Good point w/Wicks..."I refuse to believe that Soehn would bench him for so long without a good reason (like, say, Wicks, who probably ought to have missed a few starts)."
Maybe Szetela raped someone? That's clearly worse than Wicks' stomping. If the FO chooses not to say anything about this, my comments cannot be considered ridiculous or far out.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 7, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

OK, just did a background check on Szetela in MD and he's clean here. Anyone have connections in VA or DC?

Posted by: redskinsux | September 7, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

If New England makes the playoffs again I will be seriously POed.

Just what the league needs, another playoff game on ESPN w/ 6,000 in attendance...

Posted by: rademaar | September 7, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

what this post tells me is that we need to beat Seattle. just focus on the one at hand, fellas.

by the way Goff, would you mind listing the number of games played in charts like this? people who haven't had coffee yet (hi!) don't do well trying to figure out how many games in hand various teams have.

Posted by: troy6 | September 7, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

is the intern going to do a story on the Maryland game last night? anyone got a score?

Posted by: troy6 | September 7, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

still no coffee, but I saw a UC blog post that said MD won 2-1 in extra time. hope that's true.

Posted by: troy6 | September 7, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

troy6: wouldn't the one at hand be KC?

Posted by: Truck | September 7, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I think Troy is making the assumption that we win against KC and that a win vs Seattle is a must to move in the ranks.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 7, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

UVa (soccer, of course) won its two games this weekend...

Posted by: Reignking | September 7, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

On the Szetala thing, if I were manager of the team and a new transfer was too hung over to practice I'd do my best to get the player released. Just as I'd be inclined to fire a new employee who was too hung over to come to work. I mean, if this rumor true, the young man's behavior is utterly preposterous.

And finally, to keep my post somehow relevant with Goff's thread, it is dismaying that the two teams we are most likely to overtake in the race to the playeoffs have a game in hand. DCU is going to have to come close to running the table to get in. Urf. Go United!

Posted by: glfrazier | September 7, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

The Metro section's What Washingtonians Make includes Josh Wicks $42K salary. No indication of how much it is after fines.

Nice to see that Steve included the UNC women's soccer team. Is it sports chauvinism or regular chauvanism that the sportsy talking heads never mention Anson Dorrance and UNC women's soccer when discussing dynasties? They've only won 67% of all NCAA championships.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 7, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hoyanick1 | September 7, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Once one is banished to Soehn's doghouse, one does a life sentence with no chance of parole. He is a stubborn, insecure idiot who is never willing to bend his position to deal with the circumstances. What should be explored more than the details of Szetala's conduct is why due diligence wasn't done on this guy. Among players he has always been known as an immature, irresponsible fool who can't be trusted to be a reliable team member.

Why Wicks hasn't been suspended is a sitter: Soehn needs him to have any chance of winning. He has no confidence in the back-up GK and the "internal" sanction announced last week is designed to head off MLS action, which MLS does in fact have the power to take even if the competition is outside league play (Precedent: Stoichkov was punished for breaking the AU kid's leg - that wasn't MLS competition). Wicks could have gone even farther in his egregious conduct and there would be no club suspension.

Posted by: lgm6986 | September 7, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

"As for the guy who did a background check on Szetala in MD and requests that others do them in DC and VA, I find that appalling, too. But I'll acknowledge that my sensibilities are not in line with today's Internet."

These are the moments I live for, lol. All I did was a case search on the MD government site...casesearch.courts.state.md.us/ Check it out, you can publicly view any person's civil or criminal history. Anywho, I'm tired of getting the runaround on various things with this team, and frankly, if I have to make such a statement to get some answers, I'll do it again.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 7, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Alright, clearly off topic: I'm trying to use the day off to plan details of my trip up there for the Costa Rica game. There's a hotel chain I really like, and has two hotels in the area, one at the end of the green line, one towards the end of the blue. Are either or those areas red flagged? Your help would be appreciated.

On topic: It still can be done. As long as they turn to Benny and Jaime and not Soehn for anything emotioal, it can definately be done. It won't be easy, but I don't see why not.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 7, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Maybe others are more familiar with the areas you mention. In general and within the beltway, the western part of the metro area is better for lodging, especially if you want to walk to restaurants a nearby metro station, etc. On the eastern side, you get more of the hourly rate places. It makes for a longer metro ride, but...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 7, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Jacob-

OK, Clearly too much time on my hands but when I visited Costa Rica last December, we stayed at Hotel Aranjuez. Decent/Nice area, sweet layout of a hotel, decent price with breakfast included and only a 10 minute cab ride to downtown. I imagine the stadium is somewhere near downtown.
Here's their website:

Posted by: redskinsux | September 7, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Lol, just realized game is in USA (thnx 270). No sleep = erroneous blogging.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 7, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Haha, redskinsux, I appreciate the travel tip, but I meant in DC for the USA-Costa Rica game. Thanks though!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 7, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Which end of the blue/green line are you talking about?

[Blue] Springfield (VA) vs Largo (MD)
[Green] Greenbelt (MD) vs Branch Ave (MD)

Also, do you plan on driving to the stadium or taking metro? A factor to consider is that the stadium is on the blue/orange line

Posted by: emanon13 | September 7, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Planning on metro. I've been looking at the map and fares and all, and the Blue line hotel is cheaper. Both stops are flat rate all day parking. Basically, if the Camp Springs area is considered safe, that's the one I'm leaning toward, and is really all I'm asking. Camp Springs, thumbs up or down?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 7, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey JfATLish, not sure if you and your bro are cool with trying a hostel, and I'm not sure what the deal is with the parking at this one in particular, but it is located right in the heart of downtown and gets pretty good reviews. It might save you a couple bucks and you might meet some "international babes"... You'd be in short walking distance from Metro Center or even McPherson Square Metro stop which would also get you on the Orange or blue line out to RFK. Also pretty safe and you'd be close to Chinatown and many restaurants, etc.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 7, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I like the tip DadRyan, but my brother is apprehensive about that that. Thanks you guys for all your help.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 7, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

So, if playoffs were today 1 East) Columbus and 1 West) Houston would play Chivas and New England, respectively then the teams play according to points/placement i.e. 4 vs 5, 3 vs 6?

Posted by: delantero | September 7, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

And DC has 18 points left to take. It's going to require a minimum of 9 to make it, I think. And that'd be real tight.

I would like to see us take at least 12-15 of the remaining home points.

Posted by: delantero | September 7, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

The top two teams in each conference qualify and are seeded 1 & 2 in their respective four-team playoff conference brackets.

The four MLS teams with the next most points, regardless of conference, receive "wildcard" berths.

The four wildcard teams will be seeded according to conference first.

If more than four teams qualify from one conference, the team finishing lower than fourth in its conference will shift over to the other conference bracket.

A team switching conference brackets will be seeded below all other teams in its new conference playoff bracket.

Posted by: emanon13 | September 7, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

troy6: wouldn't the one at hand be KC?

Posted by: Truck
------------------------
um, yeah. i told you i hadn't had any coffee yet! but thanks for the optimistic defense redskinsux.

atlanta: rethink the hostel idea. it used to be in a dodgy neighborhood but it has completely gentrified. beautiful area, lots to do, safe, and cheap. even as an old family man, i still use hostels when i can.

Posted by: troy6 | September 7, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Of course you can do it, and with publicly posted records it is easy to do. That certainly doesn't make it good or right to do. I'm sure we could have a very entertaining conversation about how having the right to do something doesn't make it right or appropriate, but it would get boring for everybody concerned very quickly. And I'd lose the debate.

Posted by: glfrazier | September 7, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

If redskinsux paid for a background check, then we should worry about him.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 7, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

It is going to be a fight to the end. Hopefully Szetela helps us in the games to come.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | September 7, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

wow so thats how an MLS single table will look like..makes more sense just take away the word "play-off"
ah Jim Mora you feel our pain...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 7, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Even tho I think it's unlikely, there is actually a possibility that the West gets six teams in the playoffs. I never would of thought that could happen.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | September 7, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

@JacobfromAtlanta-ish
When I went to school in Syracuse and would come down to DC for a weekend out I would always use the Red Roof Inn, located right by Chinatown. Reasons, really close to the Verizon Center, redline is one block away, Fado's Irsh Pub, easy access to metro to take me usually to Georgetown for a night out. It also is actually really nice and not to expensive. Whenever I would travel I was getting places in the 100-119 range (i don't know what your budget is and I know you can find places cheaper somewhere else but the location is amazing.) They also do breakfast (couldn't comment on it though as I never made it up in time -hung over. It always worked for me cause it would be me and 2 other buddy's so the price wasn't terrible.

Red Roof Inn
500 H St NW
Washington, DC 20001-2620
(800) 843-9999‎
(202) 289-5959‎
(202) 289-0197‎

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 7, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

@Jacob: I lived in the Camp Springs/Andrews AFB area for a few years and I didn't think it was that bad at all. The Branch Avenue Green Line terminus is right off Auth Rd. and Branch Avenue, right at the Beltway interchange. I'd have no problem staying at a hotel/motel in that area, personally. YMMV (your mileage may vary) though.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 7, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Despite the discrepency in the number of games remaining, I don't see Chivas and New England finishing ahead of DC. NE looked awful against KC this weekend, and Chivas just lost to RSL by 4 goals a week ago. Oh yeah AND we're still undefeated at home in MLS games.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 7, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

"the team finishing lower than fourth in its conference will shift over to the other
conference bracket.""

So, we finish 3rd or 4th in the East, and beat the West teams on points, we'll stay within the East for the playoffs . .

Man, either that or magically finish 5th in the East, but qualify on points and have to go out West like the Bulls last year?

Posted by: delantero | September 7, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"Once one is banished to Soehn's doghouse, one does a life sentence with no chance of parole...[Szetala] he has always been known as an immature, irresponsible fool who can't be trusted to be a reliable team member.

Posted by: lgm6986"

Not only do I suspect that you don't know anymore about Soehn than anybody else on here (which make your remarks simply out of line), you manage to insult both people without making a coherent point. Is it Soehn's inflexible idiocy that is responsible for this or is it Szetela's unreliability? Or do you just hate everyone?

Posted by: vivzig | September 7, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

England-Germany women's Euro final is set for Thursday.

Posted by: universityandpark | September 7, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Plus I think the fact that there seem to be no whispers outside the team about the Szetela situation means that either the team has insane discipline or that no one (including perhaps Danny) has a serious issue with his situation. Either every soccer writer in the country is in on a conspiracy of silence or no one is talking. That's odd for an unusually harsh punishment, right? No one has called Steve or Ives or Grant or whoever and said 'hey, Danny's getting a raw deal here'? Seems odd, no?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | September 7, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

re-reminding everyone that this golden age thing is going to come on WETA @ 10. It might stick in minds longer Steve, if you posted the heads up a bit closer to the "kick".

Anyways, big yup, yup to Chest on recognizing the most important tools in the box in an earlier thread.

The good news is that our new faucet is so freaking awesome that it's like we have a brand new kitchen.
Also swapped out a stinking dimmer switch that was making our ceiling fan make so much noise we're pissed we waited so long!

Posted by: DadRyan | September 7, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

What's going on with Taylor Twellman?

Posted by: Reignking | September 7, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | September 7, 2009 9:24 PM

"re-reminding everyone that this golden age thing is going to come on WETA @ 10."

----------

Great show. Really enjoyed it. Thanks for the heads up, Goff, and the reminder, DadRyan.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | September 7, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

PrinceBuster21, I'm glad someone else caught that. I really needed it myself. Cool stuff.

Goff, thank you for the heads up. I found it a bit inspirational... Made me want to go to Powhattan springs and shrackle some tile in the big bowl...

Posted by: DadRyan | September 7, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so, uber-nerdy new life highlight:

Just had Jozy respond to me on twitter. Totally more awesome than I thought, kind of ashamed at how much, but still.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 8, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Ok, the lack of updates in the last 36 hours is driving me crazy. Its official, I'm a junkie.

Posted by: TassieTiger | September 8, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Tassie, I'll give you a topic. Obama speaks to school today. Discuss!

Posted by: Reignking | September 8, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Jacob, you talking trash about Megan Fox?

Posted by: Reignking | September 8, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Fox is overrated.

Posted by: sitruc | September 8, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Fox is overrated.
Posted by: sitruc
==========

Megan Fox and Fox Soccer Channel - better seen and not heard.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 8, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse