MLS Playoff Race

D.C. United (27) 8-7-12, 36
Toronto (27) 9-10-8, 35
Real Salt Lake (27) 9-11-7, 34
Kansas City (26) 8-11-7, 31
Dallas (26) 8-12-6, 30
San Jose (25) 6-12-7, 25
Vancouver (No. 7 Whitecaps upset No. 2 Carolina in USL-1 playoffs)
New York (27) 4-17-6, 18

For our purposes, the first tiebreaker goes to the club that has played the fewest matches. Next is head-to-head and then goal differential.

FIRST-ROUND PAIRINGS
Eastern
Columbus vs. Seattle
Chicago vs. New England
Western
Houston vs. Chivas USA
Los Angeles vs. Colorado

Golden Boot race: Conor Casey (Colorado) and Jeff Cunningham (Dallas), 15 goals.

Fredy Montero's golazo:

By Steve Goff  |  September 28, 2009; 6:49 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: Stoppage in United Match

Comments

A beauty from Montero.

Goffster- Who are the top candidates for rookie of the year?

Posted by: redskinsux | September 28, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Explain to me again this concept of a striker who can create and finish.
I have only heard rumors of such a thing.

Posted by: billq1 | September 28, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping that lots of European scouts have been watching Montero. Get him out of MLS quick!

DC plays at home against Chivas this weekend. Seattle is at the red hot Columbus Crew. If both home teams can win, United will be right back into playoff position. Problem though is that Chivas are a better team than the Quakes...

Posted by: DCUMD | September 28, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

So, will we see Bill Hamid get the start against San Juan Jabloteh to preserve Milos Kocic for those FLEETING playoff hopes?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 28, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Blah, Blah, Blah, we didn't do this, we didn't do that.
Too many excuses, not enough accountability.

Posted by: ussccr | September 28, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I'd hope Kocic would get some time in the starting 11 on Weds, before the final three MLS games. Hamid can play the final CCL game, if we win Weds.

And winning is certainly not guaranteed . . Lord knows, we couldn't beat a last place team starting a 3rd string keeper, at home with something to play for!

Posted by: delantero | September 28, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

If Euro scouts were watching Montero this weekend they have a massive headache from those football lines.

And people wonder why MLS' TV ratings are so poor.

Posted by: DrewROC | September 28, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

@DrewROC,

Oh now, now - Euro scouts headaches from all those extra markings will be nothing compared to negotiations with MLS on the $10-15 million "Jozy Benchmark" transfer fee.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 28, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

If you aren't going to play Hamid on Wednesday, no way do you play him against Toluca on the road. Putting a keeper in for the first time, on the road, against a quality opponent in a place where your team has never won (Mexico) is a mistake. Keepers are all about confidence and throwing him to the wolves for his first match could kill his confidence. No, all things being equal, I'd play him on Wednesday at home. The opponent is lesser, the team should be fired up and it wouldn't be a bad situation for Bill. But Toluca on the road as a first match? No way.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | September 28, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Is everyone working these days? Or has the performance of DC Area teams and the recession really just caused and absolute swell of apathy amongst sports fans?

Moreno for Manager

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 28, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Salami red card for Nigeria.

Mmmmm salami.

Posted by: Reignking | September 28, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Crippled keeper, I totally agree about not starting Hamid at Toluca. Remember Nick Van Sicklen? I only differ with you in that I wouldn't start him against SJJ, either.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | September 28, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

If we win Weds.and Toluca beats Marathon we've qualified for the next round of CCL. Who cares who plays?!

And really, if a keeper is that fragile that they can't take a whoopin now and again, they shouldn't play keeper. It's more of a matter of protecting starters from injury in a valueless game. Plus, if Kocic gets hurt, Hamid CAN'T play in MLS so we're doubly screwed.

Start Hamid, the kid is 6 4 200 lbs. I'm comfortable he's not that frail.

Posted by: delantero | September 28, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Jesus H. Those gridball lines are horrific. There's no way I'd sit through 90+ minutes of that on TV. Hell, I got a headache from this clip. I don't know how they can even play on that field.

Posted by: JRandomReader | September 28, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Hamid in Egypt with the U-20's?

Why so silent on the DCU aftermath Goff? Something cooking out at RFK?

Posted by: teo_68 | September 28, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Nice update. But Columbus isn't in a race anymore, they are in. And Houston could follow next week.

Time to distinguish between teams who are in and those that aren't.

Posted by: TrueCrew | September 28, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Please tell me I am hallucinating. We let New England back in????

Posted by: UnitedDemon | September 28, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Soehn took some responsibility for the meltdown, saying, "I've got to go back and evaluate whether I had the right blend of guys on the field."

Best quote ever (as others have pointed out).

The fire-Tommy bandwagon is full of gas and I'm at the wheel.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 28, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Why so silent on the DCU aftermath Goff? Something cooking out at RFK?

Posted by: teo_68 | September 28, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

________________________________

I think Goff is silent due to the Jewish holiday today. I seem to recall him being away and with family on previous Jewish holidays.

I may be remembering incorrectly though.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | September 28, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh wow what a volley on a corner from Italy but cleared off the line. What skill.

Posted by: Reignking | September 28, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"Who are the top candidates for rookie of the year?"

As far as I know, there is only one candidate for ROY. Or, there might as well be.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 28, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Hamid in Egypt with the U-20's?

Why so silent on the DCU aftermath Goff? Something cooking out at RFK?

----------------------------------------

I don't think so. I saw him at the Marathon game.

Posted by: dkwatts86 | September 28, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@Godfather_of_Goals

I'm too lazy to look this up, but I don't think Montero is eligible for ROTY. Didn't he play professionally in Columbia? And didn't MLS change things a few years back so that there was a real ROTY and a "Newcomer of the Year" (ie. someone who is a "rookie" in MLS, but has prior professional experience)?

Or did you mean Party Boy?

Posted by: edgeonyou | September 28, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Moreno for Manager

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 28, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Of the two losses yesterday by DC area teams (Redskins & United), United was by far the most infuriating. The Skins lost on the road and still have 13 games left. Whether or not they lose the majority of their games still remains to be seen. However, United was home and had everything to play for against an inferior opponent who only had pride on the line. United's defeat was completely inexcusable and at least for me very discouraging.

DC sports fans do have help on the way though. The Capitals are predicted to contend for the Stanley Cup by virtually every expert and are the pick to win it by quite a few. In addition, most experts think the Wizards are a playoff team this year.

I was thinking of Moreno myself yesterday. However, I think he needs to begin as an assistant. Another name that popped in my head is Diaz Arce. He has garnered some respect in soccer circles since he began coaching.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 28, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Dave Sarachan should be available. Other than that . . . I dunno. Maybe Bruce would like to come back to Virginia.

Not sure why everyone wants players to coach a team for whom they just played.

Posted by: delantero | September 28, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why everyone wants players to coach a team for whom they just played.

Posted by: delantero | September 28, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Diaz Arce has been away for a decade. Probably comes down to emotional attachment and familiarity. However, the Celtics have gone down this route with a great deal of success.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 28, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@edgeonyou:

My bad!

According to Wikipedia, you're correct -- Montero is not eligible. Seems kind of unfair, he's only 22!

On the other hand, he's already drawing EPL interest, so awarding him ROY might not do much for the league in the long run.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 28, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Remember, not all great coaches were former players.

But, that goal by Montero was just sick.

As for Sunday's game....I...yeah, speachless.

Posted by: dogboy | September 28, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: croftonpost | September 28, 2009 2:19 PM

Not if you're a fan of both the Redskins and Orioles (and even a Terp-grad to boot).

But yes, hockey and basketball season can't get here soon enough.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

If memory serves, Hamid isn't eligible to play in any league games this year (although he is for the CONCACAF tournament), so if Wicks is out for the rest of the season, would the team then be able to get an "emergency" 2nd GK from the general player allotment or whatever that thing is called?

Posted by: Juan-John | September 28, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Poopy,

I am a fan of both. I am also a fan of MD football (went to George Mason so I never changed childhood football allegiances). It was a very ugly weekend.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 28, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Listening to Man City-West Ham, should be a decent match if anyone wants to wile a couple hours away on a Monday afternoon at the office...

Posted by: Kev29 | September 28, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Juan-John,

Have you heard that Wicks is done for the year?

Posted by: croftonpost | September 28, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

OK, since everybody's in such a bad mood, try this on for a "fresh start" scenario: Fire Soehn; retire Moreno and Olsen into front-office coaching roles; drop Gomez, Fred and Emilio; protect Namoff, Simms, Jackovic, Pontius, Wallace, and Wicks, and MOVE THE TEAM TO A CITY THAT WILL GET A SOCCER STADIUM BUILT. Aaaaiieee!

Posted by: dccal | September 28, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Umm, why would I give a sh*t about who plays for the team if they move to another city?

Posted by: Kev29 | September 28, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Poopy,

Posted by: croftonpost | September 28, 2009 3:02 PM

Which is why it's so frustrating to see DCU hovering around the mediocre-mark for the past 2 years.

Atleast DCU actually winning helped ease the pain of being an O's and Skins fan.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 28, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 28, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I commented on this yesterday but am I the only one that is starting to see parallels between United and the Skins?

Look forward not backward and Rock the Red baby!

Posted by: croftonpost | September 28, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: croftonpost | September 28, 2009 3:35 PM

The big difference... United are broke as a joke :-(

Posted by: Kev29 | September 28, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

No disrespect to Montero's effort, but Reis made no effort at all to stop the shot. I realize he got caught too far off his line, and it was a magnificent shot, but still....

Posted by: fischy | September 28, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

At last, you can't blame Jonathan Spector for the hideously bad defending by West Ham against City. But, another example of an American not seeing the pitch. By any chance, is he hurt?

Posted by: fischy | September 28, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | September 28, 2009 4:27 PM

Doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with Spector, Zola just preferred Faubert tonight for whatever reason. Faubert then rewarded his manager's decision by getting beaten like a drum all night.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 28, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Montero is a diving, crybaby, lying, rapist. Golazo my @$$. Can someone tell him that his two different colored boots are a disgrace to the Hotness that is Natasha Kai.
Not to mention the speed lines those dorks in Seattle are rocking are about as queer as it gets.

And from a previous thread: Yo Ivanobeatch, get off my jock. Do I know you?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 28, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry long day. Still don't like Montero.
Still don't think Burch should be left unprotected. He will end up in Philly and score on free kicks every time he faces United. I'd rather keep him here, safely rotting on the bench... or trying to get better.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 28, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse