Monday Kickaround

*Barcelona scored five goals (against Atletico Madrid), Real Madrid scored five (against Xerez). Messi had two, Ronaldo had two. Real scored in the first minute, Barcelona in the second. Real scored in the 89th, Barca in the 90th. Barca had three goals in 25 minutes, Real four in 14. Both are 3-0-0 with nine points. Can't wait for the first meeting, Nov. 29 at Nou Camp.

*The Columbus Crew remained three points ahead of Chicago, thanks to a controversial second-half penalty kick. Watch the video as Steven Lenhart and Wilman Conde converge on the ball.

Lenhart told the Columbus Dispatch: "I was pleasantly surprised" by the call. Added Fire Coach Denis Hamlett: "Lenhart comes in and does a karate kick and kicked Wilman. [Referee Mark Geiger] decides that's how he's going to change the game."

*Maryland claimed a 1-1 tie at North Carolina State on Saturday night, thanks to an 89th-minute goal by Drew Yates and a failed penalty kick by the Wolfpack in overtime. This Friday, the eighth-ranked Terps host No. 2 North Carolina in a rematch of last year's NCAA final (Ludwig Field, 8 p.m., Fox Soccer Channel).

Soccer America men's top 25: 1. Akron (6-0-0), 2. North Carolina (4-0-1), 3. UCLA (3-1-0), 4. California (5-1-0), 5. South Florida (5-0-1), 6. Harvard (5-0-0), 7. Louisville (5-0-1), 8. Maryland (3-1-1), 9. Wake Forest (3-1-1), 10. Monmouth (6-0-0), 11. UC Santa Barbara (5-1-1), 12. Duke (4-1-0), 13. Virginia (4-1-0), 14. Creighton (1-1-1), 15. Dartmouth (4-1-1), 16. Indiana (3-2-1), 17. N.C. State (4-1-1), 18. Michigan (6-1-0), 19. Michigan State (4-1-1), 20. Loyola Marymount (4-2-0), 21. Boston University (4-2-1), 22. St. John's (2-1-3), 23. Northwestern (3-1-2), 24. Ohio State (3-0-3), 25. (tie) South Carolina (4-1-1), 25. Wisconsin-Green Bay (4-0-2).

By Steve Goff  |  September 21, 2009; 9:15 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , MLS , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Playoff Race
Next: Video: Russian Fan Scores

Comments

I hope he enjoyed his return -- Van Nistelrooy out 5-6 weeks. Haha.

Posted by: Reignking | September 21, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

that PK was a joke. where do we find these officials?

Posted by: torrey151 | September 21, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

LOVED seeing La Liga on ESPN2.
More please.

Posted by: nairbsod | September 21, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

It was awesome watching La Liga in HD on ESPN!

Posted by: Barracudas | September 21, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

MD does play St Peter's on Tuesday for those interested blood and gore.

Posted by: J_S_F | September 21, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Both players led with their studs. Hamlett would have you believe that Conde did nothing wrong with that quote. Was it a penalty kick? It depends on whether you believe that Conde hitting Lenhart a fraction of a second before Lenhart hits him is enough. "In the opinion of the referee," it was.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | September 21, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"Can't wait for the first meeting, Nov. 29 at Nou Camp."

To be broadcast on a channel that none of us get.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 21, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1,

Oh come on now, we all know that it will be on GolTV. It WILL be aired, but ESPN2HD won't have it - and to be fair - shouldn't.

How could we miss an opportunity to hear Ray Hudson EXPLODE all over Phil Schoen. It'll go like this - Messi will score, CR9 will answer, and then Messi will dribble from midfield, show Kaka how to handle the ball, make Drenthe and Pepe look like Greg Janicki and pound it in the net.

At that point - there will be an excited Englishman who litterally expires in a can't miss GolTV event! It will be great!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 21, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Lenhart-Conde collision.

Oh hush. You knew it was coming.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 21, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure that Lenhart was "pleasantly surpised" by the decision.

Columbus got a gift... It happens from time to time...

Posted by: yankiboy | September 21, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

It was awesome watching La Liga in HD on ESPN!

Posted by: Barracudas | September 21, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Indeed...was switching back and forth between the Madrid game and the most boring Skins game ever!

Posted by: ttn703 | September 21, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Gotta admit it was a little difficult trying to stay tuned into the riveting action going on in the Skins game with live La Liga on tv.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 21, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

270:

I have acquired the rights to broadcast the Barcelona-Real Madrid match in the US in English, Spanish, and Esperanto. However, my business model calls for me to only show the game in 2 locations:

1. On my TV.
2. Using a complicated series of mirrors, and possibly some kind of Rube Goldberg machine, I will be reflecting the game off my TV and onto the side of my house.

I am doing this because I hate the American soccer fan and want to spite them. Take that, us!

***

A second cup of coffee prompted me to look ahead for the ideal set of results for United's playoff hopes. This should probably go in the previous thread, but it seems like it's been abandoned. Here's what we would be best off with (home teams first):

Colorado-SJ: SJ win
Columbus-LA: Irrelevant to our playoff hopes
New England-Seattle: Draw
KC-Colorado: KC win
Dallas-RSL: Dallas win
Chicago-Toronto: Chicago win
Chivas-NY: NY win

Some of these are obviously stretches. SJ winning in Colorado seems unlikely, and NY winning at Chivas (even with NY's much-improved play of late) would be farcical.

There's also the tricky situation that a win for KC would produce. KC would be on 33 points before our Sunday game against the Quakes. The Wizards were largely left for dead, but in MLS a 2 game winning streak in September almost always means you're in the playoff hunt no matter where you were before. I'd rather they were not still alive on the final day, since they're our last opponent, but in this case I'd take them getting closer to the pack at the expense of a Rapids loss. A draw would also be acceptable, since it would more or less kill KC off, and we'd still be ahead of the Rapids with a win on Sunday (and if we don't win on Sunday, we should be barred from the playoffs no matter what else happens).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 21, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Serious question . . . do they have drug testing in La Liga or Champions? Some of those dudes are starting to look kinda Brady Anderson to me.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 21, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The penalty call in the Fire match actually is understandable but a little uptight all the same. Conde had his studs up above waist level, and if the ref decides that's a red card foul, which then results in a PK because it is taking place in the area. then in essence play stops at that point in the ref's mind. Subsequent actions like Lenhart's "karate kick" would not then affect the restart--it is still a PK. The ref could also have sent Lenhart off, for violent conduct (because if my above scenario holds, the ref has effectively said play is stopped at the moment of Conde's foul), but the restart would still be a PK.

Posted by: macheath | September 21, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Interesting question OWNTF. I think Ronaldo is starting to look a little beastly himself. I mean, maybe he's hittin' the gym when he's not shopping at ED Hardy, or hookin' up with Paris Hilton?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 21, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

How on earth can you watch the Redskins? That must be like watching paint dry.

Posted by: Reignking | September 21, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Pretty much RK. I'm afraid my interest in the NFL is going the way of my love for the NBA. It's vanishing.

Maybe I should start rooting for my namesake in Atlanta?;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | September 21, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Swiss referee Massimo Busacca, who took charge of last season's Champions League final, was handed a three-match ban on Monday for making an insulting gesture to fans who barracked him at the weekend.

Busacca was photographed sticking his middle finger up at Young Boys fans who insulted him during their team's Swiss Cup match at third division FC Baden.

Posted by: Reignking | September 21, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

dadryan: much more entertaining, at least. TGonz is a beast. Nice to have e360 to watch the RM-Xerez game at the same time, too.

As an Eagles fan who had to watch the Gibbs teams, I hated the Skins for their consistency and winning. Now, the complete opposite -- I feel sorry for them. It had been so long since they were relevant, save for the one Brad Johnson season.

Posted by: Reignking | September 21, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I always refer to Mark Geiger as the "always surprising Mark Geiger" or "always entertaining Mark Geiger" for just such reasons. He was the center ref in two of the four DCU results that were singled out for referee criticism in the USSF referee program's "Week In Review." He's a complete joke.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | September 21, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I think macheath has got it right. A PK and cards to both players would be fair.

Thanks to Chest for doing the research on this week's games. I could definitely see KC and Dallas earning the upsets, and Sea/NE tying and Chicago winning are also entirely likely. But your last point is the most important. Irregardless of what happens in any other match, if DC United fails to secure 3 points on Sunday then they do not deserve to be in the playoffs.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 21, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan; Switch allegiences. I give you permission. It's fair. I support United, you support the Falcons. And you play qb for them. It's allowable under the rules of fandom.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 21, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

For those who thinks that was a pk I am confused. I was watching the game and when the ref blew the whistle Eddie Gaven put his head down and walks away. It was clearly a foul on Lenhart. All the Crew players reacted that way. Conde won the ball. Our leagues refereeing is just terrible -but we already knew that. I don't understand spansih but telefutra was clearly confused because they kept showing the clash second earlier and not the kung fu kick.

I am going out on a limb and saying Barca will win that game 4-1. Superior possession in the midfield will be the key. (Xavi has only made a bad pass twice in his life and one of the times it was u12).

I-270, thoroughly enjoyed Kung Fu Panda, so thank you.

Chest, I hope your right but all the results feel for us this weekend, do you really think that happens twice?

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 21, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The Fire-Crew PK was not a fair call. It was a 50/50 ball and the Crew player could have easily injured Conde with his karate kick. Both players should be warned, if a call were made, but certainly no PK called. That's a case where a referee swung the results of a match.

Posted by: billindmd | September 21, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Goffino - what has happened to your Live Online Chats every other week? Another victim of budget cuts at the Past, er, uh Post? It seems like at least 2 months since you've been on for what used to be a regular Wednesday feature. With the MLS playoff races heating up and the European leagues in full swing this is the time we need you live!

Posted by: soccerman | September 21, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

With Marrufo out of action, Geiger is the current holder of the worst MLS referee title. Toledo is a piker compared to Geiger's awesome terribleness.

Posted by: fischy | September 21, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse