Namoff Out With Concussion

The Insider told you Monday that D.C. United right back Bryan Namoff continued to experience headaches after receiving a blow to the head against Kansas City two weeks ago. Today, the club said the veteran defender has a concussion and has been listed as "out" on the official injury report.

Namoff has started all 26 regular season matches and played 2,326 of 2,340 minutes -- by far the most on the roster. His four assists are tied for second on the team.

On a brighter note, Marc Burch, Dejan Jakovic and Boyzzz Khumalo -- who were all sidelined with long-term injuries -- have been upgraded for Thursday's Champions League match against Marathon at RFK Stadium.

Nonetheless, United's lineup is likely to be without the three defenders who have started the most matches this year.

Out: D Bryan Namoff (concussion).
Doubtful: D Marc Burch (ankle).
Probable: MF-F Santino Quaranta (quadriceps), MF Fred (calf), D Dejan Jakovic (hernia), MF-F Boyzzz Khumalo (wrist).

By Steve Goff  |  September 22, 2009; 2:25 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bellamy Incident
Next: Americans Abroad, Dutch Madness, MLS

Comments

I'll keep posting this until Goff notices/responds -

Goffino - what has happened to your Live Online Chats every other week? Another victim of budget cuts at the Past, er, uh Post? It seems like at least 2 months since you've been on for what used to be a regular Wednesday feature. With the MLS playoff races heating up and the European leagues in full swing this is the time we need you live!

Posted by: soccerman | September 22, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember Namoff getting crowned vs. KC?

Wow, maybe the concussion is spreading...

Posted by: JkR- | September 22, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

If I remember right, when Namoff's head collided with the KC player, the ref was fairly quick to blow his whistle and stop the game until both players got up on their own. Then again, I could be wrong -- had a lotta beer before the game... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | September 22, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Live online chats in all sports have been significantly scaled back since last year.

In the future, if you need to reach me directly, there is an e-mail link on the front of the blog.

Posted by: Steve Goff | September 22, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

We hear at Post Digital are working on a new Live Chat tool that will provide more interaction with our reporters...... stay tuned.

Posted by: Mulfito | September 22, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

And all efforts are spent on the Skins ;)

Posted by: Reignking | September 22, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

We hear at Post Digital are working on ...
Posted by: Mulfito
==================

You their at Post Digital?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 22, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Hugh got to be kidding.

Posted by: bs2004 | September 22, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I was expecting this; but it's a killer all the same.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | September 22, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Namoff has arguably been our MVP this season (unfortunately that's partly because none of our attacking players have been consistent enough). Anyway, Bryan should take the time to recover properly and get some rest.

Next league game is at home against San Jose de California followed by a midweek game against San Jose de Trinidad. Those are games we should be able to use some of our "roster depth" to get through.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 22, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Did somebody say "head"?!

"Daylight, alright
I don't know, I don't know if it's real
Been a long night and something ain't right
You won't show, you won't show how you feel

No time ever seems right
To talk about the reasons why you and I fight
It's high time to draw the line
Put an end to this game before it's too late..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 22, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

We hear at Post Digital are working on ...
Posted by: Mulfito
==================

You their at Post Digital?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 |
---------------------------------------------------

Well played. They have good hearing, if not good grammar.

-------------------

Hugh got to be kidding.
-----------------------------------------------

OK -- I'll bite: Who's Hugh, and why does he have to be kidding?

-----------------------------------------------

I'm really hoping that Namoff can return from this. He's the indispensable piece on the team right now.

Posted by: fischy | September 22, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Namoff has really been the Olsen this year.

Posted by: Reignking | September 22, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

When I saw that collision, I had a feeling this was going to be coming, surprised it's taken this long for it to come out.

As has been stated time and time again, Namoff has been one of the best players on the team, this season. It was a crime for him to not have been on the All-Star team. He will sorely be missed. Hope it's just a mild one and he can recover from it quickly.

Posted by: dogboy | September 22, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

That would be Hugh An'cry who's (whose) Downs at Na'mouf about Bryan. You had to ask...

Posted by: sportsparenttoo | September 22, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow. This is devastating news. Namoff is probably the player on the roster that we can least afford to lose. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Bryan. Hope to see you out there with some funky headgear in no time.

So McTavish fills in for the time being? I don't trust Vaughn or Habarugira, although we might still need one of them to start on Thursday.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 22, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I bet we see all 3 (McTavish, Vaughn, Habarugira) on Thursday against Marathon.

Posted by: alecw81 | September 22, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember Namoff getting crowned vs. KC? Wow, maybe the concussion is spreading...
Posted by: JkR- | September 22, 2009 2:38 PM

@JkR-: Namoff was clocked by Jewsbury and it looked pretty bad at the time. IIRC, Namoff was bending over, heading a ball out of danger, when Jewsbury ran up on him, and ran through his neck with his left thigh/knee. Namoff's head snapped very hard over to the left, and I thought Namoff was going to be out right then and there. A totally ugly play and I don't think that Jewsbury even had a foul called on him.

Posted by: bs2004 | September 22, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

In what should be a surprise to, well, no one, Barca looks good against Racing. Up 4-0 at half.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 22, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Scratch that, 3-0.

Blame it on a typo

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 22, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, the Atlanta Beat are just going to take all of Umea's players.

Posted by: Reignking | September 22, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so I've successfully sold the tickets I had for the Costa Rica game. Before I buy some from the Outlaws, is there a way I can buy directly from the Barra Brava or Screaming Eagles? I've looked at both of their websites and have found nothing for the Costa Rica game.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 22, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

4-0 now

That red and blue team isn't bad.

Posted by: Reignking | September 22, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Actually, reset: I've found them on the Barra Brava website, but am unable to buy them from that site as I'm not a memeber. If there are any members willing to help me, please email at jbalions25@yahoo.com as soon as possible. Thank you very much.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 22, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Oscar Serrano upper 90...here is the comeback!

Posted by: Reignking | September 22, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

With the nice megging to make room for the rocket shot too!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 22, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Someone posted Oscar's number on here the other day in reference to getting tickets with the Barra. I can't remember which thread, but it couldn't have been more than a week ago I don't think...The Barra Sub-board on Big Soccer might be a path you could explore.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 22, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks again Dadryan!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 22, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hoyanick1 | September 22, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks again you guys for all your help, but after consulting with my brother, we've decided to go with the Outlaws. It's his first game, and so I'm letting him choose. Again, big thanks for all your help.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 22, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I think the gods want us to suffer. Correction, they want us to suffer some more. Next season had better be a new page.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | September 22, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, the Atlanta Beat are just going to take all of Umea's players.
Posted by: Reignking
===============

Did they all defect after the all star game?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 22, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least Jakovic, Burch, and Boyzzz are healing up. I think we got to pick one goal: CCL or MLS playoffs. With the depth and skill we have, we cannot go after both. I say focus on the MLS playoffs.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | September 22, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

You can buy tix from Sam's Army.....at least you could last week.

Posted by: fischy | September 22, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

@ManofLaMancha -- There is no depth really for United right now, so it's pointless to talk of saving anything for the MLS game. The only position with any depth is the midfield. Assuming Jakovic is not ready for Thurs., there are only 5 defenders, including one who has never played for DC United and hasn't played in any game for anyone this year, and a 20-yr. old recent signing that has not impressed.

At forward, there is either the choice of 2 older guys, or two young guys who usually play midfield. At midfield, United isn't likely to send out a lineup with Allen, Di Raimondo, Szetela and Shipilane, so we can assume that Soehn will use some of the more regular players. There's no saving anything on Thursday, except to keep out guys whose fitness isn't there yet -- namely Jakovic and Khumalo. On Sunday, DCU gets back Gomez and maybe Jakovic (and -- yippee -- Fred). So, Soehn can mix up the lineup a little for that game.

He plays the best players he can on Turs, to try and pull out a win to keep CCL hopes alive. Then, he does the same thing on Sunday, to keep MLS hopes alive. That's where the season stands. Reassess after Sunday's game.

Posted by: fischy | September 22, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I think most of us would not make a big deal about the Marathon loss. But a loss against San Jose would be a crash out of the MLS playoff hopes.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | September 23, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

We need 2 win both matches, but I know that is not going 2 happen. The frustration continues.....

Posted by: uknowmeas-GQ | September 23, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Namoff has been the most consistent performer for the team this year. I hope he recovers well and completely from this concussion, even if it takes a while.

As for it being a "crime" he wasn't on the All-Star team, Namoff is a fine defender, but there are faster and technically better defenders in the league than him. He might have seen some ASG time under the old regime (East v West), but under the present stupid arrangement (MLS vs some also-ran Euro team) there are too few slots for a player of Namoff's calibre to get the nod.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 23, 2009 6:39 AM | Report abuse

I think fischy's got it right. If a player is less than 100% fit then he should not be playing tomorrow (Jakovic, Burch, Khumalo). But other than that, there's no reason to be specifically resting anybody for Sunday. Everybody should be well rested anyway after being off for 7 days.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 23, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse