Philly, Ticos, Adebayor, DCU Updates

*More on the Philadelphia stadium situation from the Philly Daily News.

*Rene Simoes, the Brazilian who guided Jamaica to the 1998 World Cup and has held numerous coaching posts, is Costa Rica's new manager for the stretch run of World Cup qualifying, including the finale against the USA at RFK on Oct. 14.

*Manchester City's Emmanuel Adebayor will serve a three-game suspension for stepping on an opponent's face. He faces further sanctions for inciting the Arsenal supporters after scoring.

*Because of connections and jet problems, D.C. United spent 16 hours returning to Washington from Trinidad and Tobago and arrived at 3 a.m. Today's practice was cancelled.

By Steve Goff  |  September 17, 2009; 11:39 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , Costa Rica , D.C. United , England , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: Weekend TV Listings

Comments

Union president Tom Veit confirmed a Washington Post report

pwned

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I could see practice being canceled for those who were in T&T, but why not have Jaime run practice with those who stayed behind?

Posted by: alecw81 | September 17, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

If Adebayor did that to Peralta, he'd get an enhanced penalty. For defacing a monument.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 17, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Arsenal releases a picture of the injured Dutchman.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

@I-270 -- Well played....

Posted by: fischy | September 17, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Goff for scooping the local Philly press. The rivalry begins...?

Posted by: fischy | September 17, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I smell a new derby.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 17, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I really hope someone made that Dutch reference before and I missed it. Because, if I'm the first to make that visual pun for something that happened on Saturday, then I am terribly, terribly, (one more) terribly disappointed in all of you.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I have an excuse -- I can't see the videos at work, so I still haven't seen the face-stomping.

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

i don't think it was a stomp. van Persie's face was in the way of his boot (seriously). Adebayor had no time to react intentionally in an attempt to injure, IMO. now Wicks - that was a stomp. he could give lessons.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | September 17, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks the "BPL" isn't tilted just look at the Adebayor ban. How convenient for Puce Face Fergie to have City lose its best player before the match at Old Pratford.

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | September 17, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Tilted? Tilted at windmills?

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

A DadRyan self portrait?

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 17, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

That was my initial thought as well, alecw81. Much of the team didn't travel. Many were busy messing around with furries while wearing suits and sneakers.

Posted by: sitruc | September 17, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

The DCU players who didn't travel to T&T have been working out to various degrees all week. Today was supposed to be the day the entire group got back together, but because of the travel delay, they'll resume tomorrow, take the weekend off, and then begin preparing Monday for Thursday's Marathon game.

Posted by: Steve Goff | September 17, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

SG-

That's a lot of time off for a team in their current position.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 17, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Given that this is the first time in 31 days that they've had the weekend off I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | September 17, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

but if it's going to be a marathon game they better do some fitness

Posted by: OWNTF | September 17, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Boogie_Knight
========================

A one-match ban would still benefit Man U. So it must be Gianfranco Zola, West Ham's manager, who's pulling the strings.

Get the facts before you make a conclusion.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

wait, do you j'accuse Zola?

Posted by: OWNTF | September 17, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I didn't jacuzzi with nobody.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Any competent coach or trainer will tell you, over-training is just as bad as under-training. The body needs rest. So put down the cudgels and slowly back away.

Given that Tomacco and Marathon are squaring off tonight, take no issue with the focus being on lab work for one day...

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 17, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for inspiring me to reach new heights this afternoon... timed it perfectly with the kiddo's nap time even.:-)

I thought Adebayor made a mistake in the heat of the moment. A costly one. From the replays I watched, he seemed to have a look of regret all over his face as they waited for VP to get up and for the match to resume. I think he would have been more apologetic had it been an accident. He knew what he was doing, but like your dog biting you in the heat of rough play or an accident they get quiet and nervous as if they are expecting punishment. He didn't mean to go push it that extra inch, but his dark side got the better of him.

Haven't really watched the fan taunting part. Don't care to. The stamp was enough to warrant some time for reflection.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 17, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@i270--You freakin'got me. That was the last thing that I was expecting. I should have know better considering the source...

Posted by: yankiboy | September 17, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I-270 = MOTM, hail.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 17, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Get the facts before you make a conclusion.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 2:24 PM
----------------------------------------------------

Nah -- Clearly, this is Arsene Wenger pulling strings to get his revenge on Adebayor and City.

Posted by: fischy | September 17, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Apropos of nothing, a great post and reader suggestions on best soccer anthems on NYT's Goal. Somehow they missed our songs though.

Posted by: sofiaboy | September 17, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Soehn is in a no-win situation. He gives players a break, and people say it's wrong. If he had made them practice, people would be saying he makes Nowak look like some kind of new-age hippie coach.

There are plenty of rational reasons to dislike Soehn's performance as coach. Why, then, do I mostly read people getting on him for the things that do make sense? What kind of practice are you going to have when the entire coaching staff probably got home at 4am? What kind of practice are you going to have when the only players that are physically able to go 100% and weren't on the trip to T&T are Olsen, Habarugira, Wicks, and Moreno (Burch, Jakovic, Fred, Khumalo, Barklage, Quaranta, and Namoff all have injuries; N'Silu and Janicki might as well no longer be with the club; everyone else went to T&T)?

They should be out there playing 2v2, right? Or maybe they could put Wicks in goal and play every coach's least-favorite practice game, "World Cup". Actually, if they did that, it might be the only time in history each field player has actually worn his country's jersey (USA, Burundi, Bolivia).

I guess this makes me an apologist, because it doesn't contain a demand that we put Soehn in the stocks. All I'm saying is hold your angry objections for when he does wrong.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 18, 2009 6:25 AM | Report abuse

From the Philly article: "Toronto is scheduled to undergo field renovation."

Has it been discussed what type of field renovation they're doing?

Posted by: Hokienautic | September 18, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

@Hokienautic, Toronto looks to be putting in GRASS.

I was talking to some RPB dudes in Charleston in the preseason and they said the whole thing hinged on Toronto finding alternative venues for the other organizations using the field during the MLS season, to keep the pitch from getting annihilated. The reason their turf is so bad is it is OVERUSED.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 18, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Rene Simoes helps Costa Rica more than he helped Fluminense, at the brink of relegation in the Brazilian championship.

After Fluminense he went to Portuguesa in the 2nd division and did not fare any better...

Then comes Costa Rica...