Poll: D.C. United's Pursuits

I conducted a similar poll a while back, but with the U.S. Open Cup now out of the way and D.C. United in the middle of a tight MLS race as well as in contention for a Champions League quarterfinal berth, it's an appropriate time to ask.....

By Steve Goff  |  September 23, 2009; 1:37 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United News & Notes
Next: USA Monitoring Honduras Situation

Comments

I said qualify for both because I am crazy

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 23, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm a pessimist in most things and I think the worst thing that can happen to United right now is to advance to the CCL and be distracted next season (after losing players to the expansion draft).

What this team needs is a new coach, new blood, and a full pre-season to get use to one another... unless of course United wins MLS Cup, then I'd settle for distractions of the CCL next season.

Posted by: TCompton | September 23, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I voted fall short on both.

I love this team with all my heart. This is our team and I will forever love and be proud of that fact. But for as much as I consider myself an optimist this team has been slipping from the MLS elite for 3 years now. We have injuries and chemistry issues. Plus the players are really not performing at peak capability. We can discuss whose fault that is some other time but the fact remains. This team has some titanic glaring issues that stack up against it to get 'er done here in the stretch.

A few years ago sputtering form was good enouth to make the playoffs. But there are more teams in the fight now, and let's face it these teams are really efficient. Great coaching and great talent discovery and utilization. We used to lead in those catagories but alas, no more. Teams used to be scared to face us - we used to win before stepping on the field. But to be honest I now find myself fearing to play certain teams - even at home. I cannot even find it within myself to consider the Marathon game a lock. I mean how sad is that?

Oh how I would just love to be wrong though...how I would love to be dead wrong.

Posted by: Kosh2 | September 23, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

i voted nader

Posted by: HWLongfellow | September 23, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Off topic but Kenny Cooper just scored for 1860 in the second round Pokal tie, 2-0 for the 2. Bundesliga side.

I wont be able to sleep well at night until both Farve and Sohen are sacked.

I want to say that DCU will make at least one of the two, but in reality I think we just dont have the skill or depth to make either. We will find out a lot about the team tomorrow night.

Posted by: rademaar | September 23, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Ronaldo with a goal in the 2nd minute, Real up 1-0 in the 15th.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 23, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Hull vs Everton

Hull: Duke, Mendy, Zayatte, Cooper, Halmosi, Barmby, Boateng, Featherstone, Cairney, Ghilas, Vennegoor of Hesselink

Subs: Warner, McShane, Fagan, Geovanni, Kilbane, Marney, Cousin

Hmm, let's hope that Brown just wants Jozy to rest after lots of travel and matches in the last couple months.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 23, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

What Kosh2 said -- word for word.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | September 23, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

No question the #1 priority for the team is to salvage the MLS season. What we'll find out tomorrow is how close a #2 CCL is.

Personally I don't see any of the key players fresh off injuries starting or playing major minutes tomorrow. That'll leave us a makeshift back four and something close to the regular front six, all well-rested.

I think which team's crowd shows up and gets behind them (because you know Marathon partisans will show) will be best able to handle its business.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 23, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Ohhhh Rangers
They'll be singing the blues
When Rangers win and Chelsea lose!

{God I hope so...}

Posted by: Kev29 | September 23, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Kosh2 - well said

Posted by: regularfan | September 23, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow, EJ starting for Fulham...

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Like the good Philadelphia native that I am, I voted multiple times.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 23, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow, EJ starting for Fulham...

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 2:55 PM

Hodgson made 11 changes from their match at Wolves. Yep, the whole first team is rested. Would be kind of embarrassing if EJ hadn't made the 11.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 23, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for Chest_Rockwell to vote before I cast my vote.

Posted by: B_A_ | September 23, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Jozy-less Hull already losing. Good.

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what's going on at Hull, but they sound like they're going into another 7 month swoon after a decent start (like last season). Match reports I read claim that Jozy didn't get a chance to do much of anything last Saturday - and was subbed out (first) after just an hour. Time will tell how the season goes for him, but the hot start seems to be over.

Goal - Hull 0 Everton 3 (Dan Gosling 24)

Posted by: Kev29 | September 23, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Hull got off to a good start this season?

Jozy was ineffective Saturday. He didn't do much, but he didn't have much to do.

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

In case you want to listen to West London's only football club valiantly challenge some pricks from Southwest London... ;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | September 23, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Godfather - What if neither team's crowd shows up and gets behind them? Attendance isn't likely to be much more than 8000.

I agree with most of Kosh's well worded comments also. This team is definitely not the dominant force it was years ago. That honor has fallen to Houston, and rightfully so.

But isn't there also a chance that United is going to peak at exactly the right time? In 2006-2007 we peaked way too early and crashed out of the playoffs. You could say that we had a more dominant lineup those days, but this 2009 team still has a huge amount of talent, and if they can just play together at the level they're capable of, reaching MLS Cup is still a definite possibility.

I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow against Marathon, but I don't see us missing the playoffs this year. Our schedule remaining is easier than most of the rest of our competition, and we're getting healthy (besides Namoff) at the right time.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 23, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for Chest_Rockwell to vote before I cast my vote.

Posted by: B_A_ | September 23, 2009 3:04 PM
=================

Well in.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 23, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Hull got off to a good start this season?

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 3:16 PM

Ha - yeah - I guess I shouldn't classify a win and a draw in the first month as "good".

Posted by: Kev29 | September 23, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Kev: better than Villarreal.

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

We'll qualify for both :)

Posted by: GoUnited | September 23, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Chest said we'd make the playoffs in the previous poll. He also said we'd win the US Open Cup. As it happened, so did I. I have transferred my Open Cup optimism to the CL.

Kosh2 is right: the league is getting better and we are aging. But I'd rather slip a bit with Moreno and Olsen and the return of Gomez and a slumping Emilio than be a supporter of a team that showed players like that the door the minute they are past their prime. We have a little soul, don't we? They will retire or find other roles; the team will rebuild. We'll be back at the top before long.

Posted by: dccal | September 23, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I voted fall short in both. Again, not because that's what I want but because the team just sucks right now.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | September 23, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Kosh's words pretty much summed up my feelings as well.

Well said, if you're ever out here for a DC vs Galaxy or Chivas game I'll buy you one of those bacon-wrapped hot dogs with all the fixings they sell outside the stadium after the game.

Those things are more addictive than crack.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 23, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

The only reason we're even competitive still is because of the core we will have to build on next season.

But we need to clear out Soehn and hopefully anyone in the front office who likes slow, ineffective players with huge salaries. That might mean a little failure. Let's not stay the course, people.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | September 23, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I voted neither. There are so many teams vying for so few playoff spots that I can't vote that as likely. CCL is more likely but I am troubled that they need to win by two or more goals this evening for tiebreaking purposes.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 24, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse