Quaranta Apologizes

D.C. United midfielder-forward Santino Quaranta says he apologized to Coach Tom Soehn for comments he made last week about the team's situation to Post colleague Paul Tenorio.

"At the time, I was upset about not [starting] in the Open Cup. I regret doing it that way because, at this time, with what went on in the last week -- with Josh [Wicks], we had some issues -- and just to continue that wasn't the smartest thing in the world. I can't take back what I said. I dealt with it and apologized to Tommy for it."

On the playoff chase.....

"In all honestly, we're not that far behind. At 33 [points], we're in a great spot here. The difference from this year and last year, we understand we can win games. ... It's an exciting time for us: Five games at home, it's a rarity, especially this time of year. It's a great opportunity for us."

On the penalty kick he drew at Dallas.....

"I watched it [on video]. The thing about this is, running full speed and this guy is behind me, so anything he can do to throw me off. I couldn't finish it, so I am going down. I didn't dive. He clipped the back of my heel twice. I didn't dive -- I can promise you that. I have to start doing that more often -- making those runs and being more aggressive. It's something we talked about and something I am doing more comfortably in a four-back system. I have responsibility and the attacking is my strength. I've got to do it more."

By Steve Goff  |  September 8, 2009; 11:37 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Burch Sidelined
Next: DCU News & Notes

Comments

thou doth protest too much

Posted by: pjdemko | September 8, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Tino +1

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 8, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Thought Tino's thoughts were right on although I understand the political sensitivity of the matter.

More important, he put his game where his mouth had been. Saturday's game had the most aggressive attack I've seen in a while . . . and I would like to see more of that.

Now, if the coaches would/could start the same 11 consistently.

Posted by: carnack | September 8, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Again. Congrats to Paul for scoring those candid statements.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 8, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Talking to the coach is what Tino should have done to begin with -- he has earned that right at least. Nothing he said before was over the top, but I think he only took his beefs public out of deep disappointment with the OC result.

Hopefully, if anything, this leads to an expanded role on the club. I see him as the next team leader on the Etcheverry-Moreno-Nelsen-Gomez-Moreno-Olsen continuum.

There will be competition for his services going forward, and I hope DCU does what it can to retain them.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 8, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I think there will be. And I, too, hope we can keep him. Really like his openness and his enthusiasm, even if occasionally wrongly directed. He plays with a soccer ball pretty well too.

Posted by: vivzig | September 8, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Coach Soehn should have known
Team is not groin together
Whether Q speaks, not

Tuesday's haiku

Posted by: OWNTF | September 8, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Just one more sign that he has definitely matured since his last stint with DC. Way to man up, Tino.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | September 8, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

doesnt require someone with their A license to figure out this team should be playing a 4-4-2...Tino was right, but should have kept it in the family.

Posted by: daustin7 | September 8, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how long we have Tino signed for? For some reason I think he's not signed after this season, and I pray that I'm wrong. I think Chris Rolfe is a good player and deserves the opportunity to play in Denmark. Having said that, Tino has played much more and indeed has been far more effective for DCU than Rolfe has for the Fire.

Posted by: dcarmy | September 8, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Santino's earlier comments could be read to say I'm going to dive/go down easy.

"I was just waiting for him to hit me. You know [Moreno] is going to score the penalty..."

"If he's behind me and I'm in front of him and he touches me, I'm going down."

With the addition of these new comments, I think its clear Tino is simply openly recognizing the truth that coming in on a play like that there’s a rather good chance he’s going to be fouled. Being aggressive and drawing the foul is a big part of the game. Thus, ‘waiting for him to hit me’ is an honest acknowledgment of this fact, not a statement that he’s going to go down like a sack of potatoes at the slightest touch. Having said that, I think he could use a better choice of words that ‘waiting for him to hit me’.

Here’s what I find really interesting about Santino’s comments. He points out that at full gallop it doesn’t take much to disrupt things and I believe is saying that if an opponent clips him enough to prevent him finishing then allowing himself to go down at that point is not diving. It’s an interesting point. I played soccer for 10 years and always tried to stay on my feet and in the play, but where’s the tipping point between one’s obligation to play honorably (diving is cheating) and how much of an opponents’ pushes, kicks, clips, shirts pulls, etc. to absorb?

In this instance, Tino states the opponent clipped him twice, preventing him from finishing – so he went down. If someone has clipped you enough that you can’t get the shot you otherwise would’ve had off are you really supposed to do all you can to stay on your feet and get a now (perhaps greatly) weakened attempted shot off? That’s the way I played, I left it up to the ref to decide when I was fouled, but I don’t necessarily think I have the moral high ground here.

It bears pointing out that the opponent isn’t exactly playing cleanly when engaged in such actions - whether purposefully or accidentally.

Santino goes on to say he needs to be more aggressive as he was on this play. I agree!!!

Posted by: KireDCU | September 8, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

=======================
over past two MLS seasons, Rolfe has 43 starts, 15 goals, 3 assists; Q has 39 starts, 7 goals, 7 assists.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 8, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"I couldn't finish it, so I am going down. I didn't dive."

I was glad to get the goal and also how aggressively Tino played, but don't those two statements contradict one another?

Posted by: troy6 | September 8, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Kire's comment makes sense. If the "I couldn't finish it" part was due to being clipped, then the two statements do not contradict. And yeah, count me in the crowd that says do whatever it takes to keep Tino around. He's good enough for the national team, but probably won't make next summer's roster (if we qualify), which makes him doubly valuable.

Posted by: troy6 | September 8, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

5 home games + an away game to KC.

if DC United doesn't get into the playoffs, its entirely their own fault. the cards are in their favor.

Posted by: crocken | September 8, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who can back up Tino's explanation from personal experience. When you're at full speed, any contact at or below the ankle will send you quite literally flying. Cost me a full season once.

Also the defender tried in vain to foul Tino outside the box by pulling on his shoulder. From a trailing referee's perspective, he did himself no favors there.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 8, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF:

Obviously the numbers bear out that Rolfe has played more (though if you throw in CCL and USOC games, I'm guessing Tino passes him). Rolfe's goal haul reflects 2 important things, in my mind:

1. He is a better finisher than Quaranta. This is not news.
2. He's been on a better team in both seasons.

That said, I think Quaranta has been more important to us than Rolfe is to Chicago. Last season, with Gallardo out and the team basically imploding, Quaranta was moved into a central role and threw himself into it with gusto. It was not the best fit, and he didn't play spectacularly, but his effort and desire to win was valuable leadership for a team that was sorely lacking in that department.

This year, he's been our most effective creator of chances, and right now I'd say he's our single best player at any position. He seems bound and determined to haul this team to results no matter what else is going on. I don't know if Rolfe has ever played with the same level of fire (no pun intended). There's also the fact that, even with teams knowing how to play against our 3412 and our slower attackers, no one in MLS ever seems comfortable defending against Quaranta. He's a constant problem for other teams.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 8, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"I have to start doing that more often -- making those runs and being more aggressive. It's something we talked about and something I am doing more comfortably in a four-back system. I have responsibility and the attacking is my strength. I've got to do it more."

Am I reading too much into a possible semi-permanent 4-4-2 switch, especially with the injuries now?

Posted by: Section117 | September 8, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

@Chest -- I agree. I love Q, and he is way more impt to DCU, because United don't have a Blanco or a McBride (yet?!), etc etc. Too impt to be left on the bench for USOC final, I think. I just hope Q isn't dis-Soehned before the end of the season. He should be a cornerstone if the FO is in their right minds.

As a MNT fan, I also like Rolfe, and as a DCU fan, I was always afraid of him. So I'm doubly glad he's going to Europe.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 8, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes when I'm typing really fast, and someone taps me on the shoulder, I go down.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 8, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Way to go OWNTF! You shoot down my tribute to Tino using cold, hard, undisputable facts. I didn't think you could do that in the D.C. area! Maybe I haven't seen Chicago play enough this year but it seems like Rolfe hasn't played as much or as well as in years past. The question remains, however, how long do we have Tino under contract?

Posted by: dcarmy | September 8, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

dcarmy: "The question remains, however, how long do we have Tino under contract?"

As far as I know, Quaranta has only one year guaranteed. But considering his total compensation this year is $72K, it doesn't matter. The club that gave Emilio a $450K/year raise on spec isn't going to retain Quaranta at that salary.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 8, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I wasted a penalty chance in a very important high school game lo these many years ago. I got hacked and hacked as I somehow manuevered thru the box. But I kept going and got off a mediocre shot that was swallowed up by their all-met keeper. I wish I had gone down. We had a Moreno type guy that always converted. We would have won that game......should have won - but I'm over it.

Posted by: marksman37 | September 8, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: marksman37

Exactly. As a (former?) player, where is the line? There's certainly not a simple answer.

Posted by: KireDCU | September 8, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

What's all with these guys apologizing for their honest outbursts? First Landycakes apologizes for his Beckham comments. Now Tino apologizes for his accurate remarks about Soehn.

Why can't US players ever speak their mind?

Posted by: doctortechie | September 8, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I thought Tino was brilliant against Dallas, Give him the ball and let him run at players. There are far to many players on the team that are on the down side of there careers. Tino is the future leader of this group

Posted by: highlandtownoldtimer | September 8, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

lol marksman! i love the glory days stories! Where'd you play?

Posted by: wordup1 | September 8, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

re: "I couldn't finish it, so I am going down. I didn't dive."

Translation: "I dived. I didn't dive."

Posted by: Ron16 | September 9, 2009 6:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KireDCU
==================

The line is 18 yards from the goal. Simple answer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 9, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse