USA U-20s Win, 4-1

Remember Bryan Arguez? He was D.C. United's first-round draft pick in 2007 who didn't earn any playing time in league play and was sold a winter later to Hertha Berlin, where he has yet to make a favorable impression. Arguez, who didn't play in the 2007 U-20 World Cup and was an alternate this year before being added late to the roster, scored in first-half stopped time on a seven-yard shot into the roof of the net today as the USA under-20s surprised Cameroon, 4-1, in Suez, Egypt.

Tony Taylor (Miami FC), Dilly Duka (Rutgers) and Brian Ownby, from the University of Virginia, also scored for the second-place Americans, who rebounded from a 3-0 loss to Germany (1-0-1) in their opener and can advance to the second round with a result Friday against South Korea (0-1-1).

By Steve Goff  |  September 29, 2009; 2:32 PM ET
Categories:  U-20 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United News & Notes
Next: Early Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

That was a completely different team. Are we sure the team was not kidnapped before the Germany game? Jared Jefferies impressed me.

Posted by: lrg1231 | September 29, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Amazing what a 4-1 win can do...45 minutes ago, everyone was whining that Rongen and his 433 sucks. Reminds me of the Confed Cup.

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Edit my post, Jared Jeffrey

Posted by: lrg1231 | September 29, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Now, am I right in remembering that Duka is a Red Bulls prospect, but yet MLS has shut the door on him?

Making it harder for our younger guys to play in MLS sounds about right. Yep.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 29, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Jared Jefferies impressed me.

Posted by: lrg1231 | September 29, 2009 2:44 PM
---------------

You're probably the only person that he impressed when he was drafted by and played for Les Bullets.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

yow! whodathunk they would end up equivalent on goal differential?

apologies to coach and players for previous criticism (although in my defense, I did state outright that I didn't know what I was talking about).

Posted by: troy6 | September 29, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

This was the only result the Cameroon whiners and divers deserved. The PK was laughable.

As for performances, yeah, I think they might have talked about strategy a little. I don't think anyone knew what they were doing the last time around.

Also, this group needs clearly is off on the touches in strange ways. I wonder if professional experience would eradicate the problem.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | September 29, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Calling Duka a Red Bull's prospect is a stretch.

He hadn't been on their radar til he was already enrolled at Rutgers, meaning he can't be an academy project.

It was just typical RBNY trying to bend the rules for their benefit.

Posted by: alecw81 | September 29, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@alecw81,

Still, it pains me to think that outside of FC Dallas, a lot of these kids could wind up...not in MLS.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 29, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow! I couldn't catch the game but i am impressed.

Nice to see Mookie (Arguez) living up to his potential.

Here's hoping that the knuckleheaded immmature bit is behind him. I hope that he uses this as a catalyst to be a team leader (in a good way).

Posted by: yankiboy | September 29, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

What does anybody think about that wingback Williams who "is without a team right now". He is fast and has a great throw-in. Shouldn't DCU sign him for the final weeks?

Posted by: bechtoldpk | September 29, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I forgot the game was on. What's wrong with me? I watched the replay on ESPN360. For some reason they skip past the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half, so I haven't seen the Taylor goal. Duka's goal was very impressive -- but I wouldn't punch his ticket for Europe yet.

The penalty call was ridiculous -- a total dive -- but Opara did get a fistful of jersey. I wish I knew why defenders do that. No good can come of it.

As for DCU signing anyone for the last few weeks, I believe the rosters are closed, no?

Posted by: fischy | September 29, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Wallace? Anthony Wallace? I thought he was a rightback for Dallas, unless there are multiple Wallaces on the team.

Posted by: Josh8 | September 29, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Williams...I need to learn to read.

Posted by: Josh8 | September 29, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Does United retain Arguez's MLS rights? Jest wonderin'...

Posted by: fischy | September 30, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

My afternoon/evening tomorrow: Health Care rally @ White House; Nats baseball game; and DC United soccer game. 8 hours, door-to-door.

Posted by: fischy | September 30, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

fisch: they were in commercials. Just like old times.

Posted by: Reignking | September 30, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse