Saturday Kickaround

*Full accounts of Maryland's dramatic 1-0 victory over North Carolina before a record crowd in College Park. One-loss Virginia hosts winless Clemson tonight in Charlottesville.

*With modest expectations, the USA begins U-20 World Cup play against Germany at 10 a.m. (ESPN Classic, Galavision) in Egypt. Virginia's Brian Ownby is in the starting lineup.

*MLS this weekend:
Los Angeles at Columbus, 7:30 (Direct Kick)
Seattle at New England, 7:30 (DK)
Colorado at Kansas City, 8:30 (DK)
Real Salt Lake at Dallas, 8:30 (DK)
Toronto at Chicago, 8:30 (DK)
New York at Chivas USA, 10:30 (DK)
San Jose at DCU, Sunday at 3 (Telefutura, The Comcast Network)

By Steve Goff  |  September 26, 2009; 9:20 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , MLS , U-20 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps, USA TV, Beckham, MLS
Next: D.C. United Warm-Up

Comments

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Spongehead Marwan!!

Everton just got a 1-0 win on the road at woebegone Portsmouth.

Several big saves from Tim Howard including one 5 minutes into stoppage time, another reflex save of a pointblank shot with his shoulder, and a goal cleared off the line by the nearpost Everton defender on a corner kick.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 26, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

No game on FSC tonight?

Posted by: addick | September 26, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

DC United match on Comcast is being shown on delay at 5:30 to accomodate the Redskins. I assume Telefutura doesn't give a rat's arsenal about the Skins and will show match live @ 3:00

I wonder how that will effect blogispheric activity. I will watch on Comcast and stay off the blog so nobody tells me the score.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 26, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching the USA-Germany game?

I try to be patient and reasonable here, but we look awful. Ownby has looked particularly bad, but to be honest I find myself unable to say that even one American player is actually doing well. Shea is at least putting himself about, but effort doesn't do you much good when you turn the ball over repeatedly. That's the problem for the whole team, actually. The defense is under constant pressure because we lose the ball virtually every time we try to enter the attacking third. It looks like an offense vs. defense drill rather than an actual game.

Oh, and Davies had to come off after apparently something serious, since a) he sat down after being hurt with no one around and b) after one sentence to the trainer the sub signal was given. Those are never good signs.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 26, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Yup -- the kids look awful. I would say that the 4-3-3 formation isn't helping the USA hold any possession, though we did create some decent near miss opportunities in the box. Disappointed not to see Diskerud get the ball more, given the advance publicity he's been getting.

Posted by: fischy | September 26, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, turned it on at the 16th minute and the commentator says "This is really the first time that the USA has come forward in numbers."

I left for a bit and return to find it 2-0.

Some of our best U-20's aren't there obviously, but you would hope these guys would be better than this.

Posted by: delantero | September 26, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Yeah....based on this match, it doesn't look like anyone on this roster will threaten for a roster spot on next year's World Cup team.

To a man, they're slower and less skilled than the Germans.

Posted by: DWE4 | September 26, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Germany wins 3-0, which feels like the absolutely appropriate scoreline. We did hit the bar, and Arguez looked half-decent, but if we're going through it will be because Korea and Cameroon are quite poor.

Quick ratings:
Perk - 5; Mayen - 4, Opara - 4, Agbossumonde - 4, Davies - 5; Powers - 4; Ownby - 3.5, Jeffrey - 4, Diskerud - 4.5, Shea - 4.5; Taylor - 4.5. Subs: Flores - 4, Arguez - 5, Duka - NR

One player avoided worse than the 5 he started with. Yes, it was that bad.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 26, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Or 2, I guess. Forgot about Perk.

Suggestion: Switch to 442, find a right back so Mayen can play right midfield, and use Marosevic with Taylor up top so that at least someone is up there with him instead of just leaving him alone for the entire game.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 26, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Tried to watch USA, even put the American flag up as I do for all USA matches. Verrrrry borrrrrring and started flipping back and forth to the Hannover match which was no more exciting. Eventually I cleaned the kitchen.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 26, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Woe is my Clemson Tigers. They've hit the skids since I left there in the late 80s. Can't blame it all on an alleged child molester; he was coach for just the last few years. They've got to figure out a better way to recruit from outside the South where people actually play soccer after 8th grade.

Posted by: DrBeaker | September 26, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

it's really wierd/sad to watch portsmouth lose it's 6th in a row this morning, as i am reading "bloody confused", chuck culpepper's account of portsmouth's great season a few years back. i hope they eventually get it together and avoid relegation...

Posted by: birdynumnum | September 26, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Well, so much for the discplined, defense minded team we were reading about. I guess I should have expected this when the players were saying "it's going to be a close one."

Players that shouldn't be melted down for reprocessing: Perk, Jeffrey, Diskerud, Shea, Arguez, Duka. The rest, particularly Ownby and Flores, were just outright disfunctional.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | September 26, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Pretty 2nd goal from Benzema.

Posted by: Reignking | September 26, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

The NY v Chivas match is on FSC

Posted by: fedssocr | September 26, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

just home. sorry to hear about the u-20s. some big names aren't there, but still have some real quality players. from chest's comments, I'm wondering if it isn't coaching and strategy. Rongen brought the u-18s to portugal last year and they got shellacked. this year they came under different leadership and were the best in the tournament (even the German coach said so -- and chanted "USA, USA" during our final match against Portugal). chest's description sounded like how the u-18s played last year. can someone of that pedigree really be that bad at coaching? or am I crazy? or -- as I suspect -- is this far too small a statistical sample to draw conclusions?

ah well, I'm about to go coach my girls u-11 team. we're 0-2, so I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

Posted by: troy6 | September 26, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Fully agree with Chest. Our team looked awful.And do you know that Germany played without 25(!!!!!) players who were not released by their clubs although a few starters did make it?(Ref.KICKER)
Is the problem not Thomas Rongen who has little to go for him as a coach(fired twice in MLS) except that he came through the Ajax Youth system.
The British commentator said it well:"the Germans look like a team and the Americans like a collection of individuals."
Why entrust clearly talented youngsters to an unqualified teacher? Very sad.Coach P.

Posted by: bechtoldpk | September 26, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

troy, if the little one is up @ 4 we may swing by and try to change your luck! It won't be the rain that keeps us away...

Posted by: DadRyan | September 26, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

DR - game cancelled. bummed. catch ya'll next time.

Posted by: troy6 | September 26, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Not too shocked at the US-20 result. Rongen complaining about how MLS hasn't been developing enough young players was a sign he was making excuses ahead of time. That being said, youth teams run in cycles. The 2007 team had kids like Altidore, Adu, Bradley, Seitz, etc. This group is down compared to that. The U-17's we have now look to be even better than the 2007 team, so there ya go. Just take it in stride and remember that Pablo Vitti was one of the stars on Argentina's U-20 2005 team that beat Nigeria for the title. That alone should tell you results mean very little here.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | September 26, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I was not expecting much from most of this U20 team, but what I saw today was pretty rough.

That said, the Columbus-LA tilt will definitely be set on full screen on the computer while the Florida game is on the tv. That looks to be a great game, and for sure a potential MLS Cup preview.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 26, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Crud my normal spot for live feeds doesn't have anything that seems to work for me.
Anyone got links for Gals/Crew and Sounders/Revs?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 26, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan, atdhe.net has both up and runnin

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 26, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

thanks Jacob. bookmarking now. should have done it a long time ago.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 26, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Blown ACL for Ralston? DAng!

Posted by: DadRyan | September 26, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Poor Ralston, can't catch a break.

I admit I'm not watching the Seattle-NE game much. Those football lines just make it so hard. Although they do get me pumped for the Falcons game tomorrow.

Lot of forward marching in the LA-Crew game, really open

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 26, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Goal Columbus in the 32nd. Mr. Gaven with a header back across goal from a tight angle that bounced off the far post and in.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 26, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Gettin' a little chippy in New England now that the score is level again.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 26, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Lots of early scoring in the 8:30 games.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 26, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Lots of early scoring in the 8:30 games.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 26, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Scores across the board are looking good right now

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 26, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Bad loss for Virginia (though the weather seemed to play a factor). Clemson outplayed them physically. The Hoos are a paradigm of inconsistency at the moment- beating #2 Wake last week, losing to winless Clemson tonight. Sigh.

Posted by: carmines757 | September 26, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

that reminds me, what are us DCU heads looking for this evening in the score lines? Are we hoping for a draw in New England? Do we want LA to lose?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 26, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd say the Crew-LA game doesn't mean much to us. We're rooting for Chicago to beat TFC, and Dallas to beat Salt Lake.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 26, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

right, I looked at the table and I guess a draw in New England would be the best result there. I just can't stand the Sounders anymore, and take pleasure in seeing them lose. I'd like to see them not make the playoffs.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 26, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I almost always root for LA to lose. There's no way for us to catch Columbus anyway so them winning isn't a big deal.

Generally I think if all of those teams around us keep tying each other that is not a bad thing for us. It keeps one point out of the standings.

Posted by: fedssocr | September 26, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

And RBNY to beat Chivas

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 26, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

NE up 2-1 on seattle.

Posted by: birdynumnum | September 26, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

troy6:

Sometimes you play so badly that coaching is hard to judge. It's hard to gather what the attacking emphasis is when our central midfield was so awful on the ball, and when our alleged wide forwards in a 433 are dropping off so deep that Taylor was often 20-30 yards from the nearest teammate.

I will say that I don't think Mayen has any right back in him, which showed. Beyond that, coaching wasn't even on my mind. I'm just discouraged that this is the best squad we could come up with. Even our best chance (Jeffrey's shot off the bar) was an accident; in the build up to that shot, Jeffrey had a golden chance to put Flores through in space on the left with plenty of targets for a cross. Instead, he played a ball to no one that got blocked and had to be recovered before he could be set up.

***

Revs-Seattle was boring, and then the score was ideal for so long until Joseph struck again. One more reason to dislike Seattle, I guess.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 26, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Texas Tech at Houston is on ESPN2. It looks weird to see that stadium without the Dynamo.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 26, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

The result doesn't kill us. If DC wins tomorrow we go ahead of Seattle in points. We would move to 39, while Seattle would be at 38. We also have played the same number of games. So in essence this result allows DC to be in control of our own destiny. NE always makes the playoffs and pisses everyone off when 4 hundred people show up to their playoff game.

The good news is RSL is losing and the Rapids are being held to a scoreless draw. If the NYRB win then we are in great shape. (I love conspiracy theories so I say NYRB blow this game because they hate us so much. Any takers?)

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 26, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Tried to watch the Chicago game, but it played like a photo slideshow. Might have tried to tough it out, but the fact that the game is being announced by the cast of SNL's "Da Bears" skit made it intolerable.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 26, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

McBride levels it for Chicago in the 78th!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 26, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Houston just punted and I'm sure the Texas Tech returner handled the ball well outside the Dynamo's penalty area. Of course the blind refs completely missed it!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 26, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Jesus Padilla being interviewed now. He said they want to win tonight to knock DC United out of BCS Bowl contention...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 26, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Chicago comes THISCLOSE to knocking in a goal on the last kick. Finishes 2-2

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 26, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

How much fun would a Chivas/Galaxy playoff pairing be?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 26, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Must be annoying to watch that football game with soccer lines on it.

Posted by: Reignking | September 26, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Chivas dominating.

Posted by: Reignking | September 26, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I had the sound turned way down earlier, and missed any updates on Ralston's knee. Did they say anything at the half, or after?
That didn't look good at all.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 26, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

figured out how to turn our fine though slow midfield possession game into a dangerous attack in the final third, where we have been dying all season. Principle No. 1 is not to feed Emilio long square balls at the top of the 18 with his back to the goal. The service was excellent last night. When's the last time you could say that?

Posted by: dccal

Reposted for dccal from an earlier thread.

Right on! And I can't say I remember better service from our "starting" 11 from Burch or Namoff, and certainly not Fred . . .

Posted by: delantero | September 26, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Amazing finish NY-CHV!!!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 27, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Just got home from a party and saw the dying minutes of the Chivas vs. NJ game- quite an ending. NJ's second road point of the year. Very weird to route for NJ.

Opted for watching Liverpool rather than the US U-20 squad this morning. I used to think Clapton was god, I'm starting to think Torres is.

Had fun at lunch w/ DCU in between.

@RFK tomorrow, of course. Vamos United!

Posted by: KireDCU | September 27, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Meagan Fox is hot. And a new cast member said the EFF word on SNL... oops.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 27, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan, I heard that. It was as loud and clear as the ones we hear during a Revolution playoff game.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 27, 2009 2:13 AM | Report abuse

I freaking love her for that, DadRyan.

Posted by: sitruc | September 27, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse