Terps, USA TV, Beckham, MLS

Greetings from College Park, where Maryland and North Carolina will tangle for the first time since the the Terps' 1-0 victory last December in the NCAA College Cup final. On this pleasant evening with a big walk-up crowd expected, Maryland might break the Ludwig Field attendance record that it set three weeks ago when UCLA visited (6,718). Terps basketball coach Gary Williams, who coached the Lafayette men's soccer team in the early 1970s, is scheduled to attend.

Kickoff: 8 p.m. ET.
TV: Fox Soccer Channel.
Announcers: Dean Linke, Keith Tabatznik.

Read this terrific story about Terps senior Kevin Tangney.

If you're watching on TV or in the stands, please contribute to the pregame, in-game or postgame discussion.

Meantime, a few general notes.....

The TV rights holders for the USA-Honduras World Cup qualifier Oct. 10 are in the final stages of arranging closed-circuit service for numerous bars and restaurants. English or Spanish audio will be available, depending on the venue. I hope to have more details in a few days. As you learned from the Insider, there will be no standard live TV coverage for this match. ... Galaxy star David Beckham will not play in Columbus on Saturday because of an Achilles' tendon injury. ... Dynamo striker Brian Ching signed a contract extension through the 2013 season. ... Rapids midfielder Jacob Peterson (23 appearances, 12 starts, two goals) is out for the year with a knee injury.

By Steve Goff  |  September 25, 2009; 6:43 PM ET
Categories:  Beckham , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Kickaround
Next: Saturday Kickaround

Comments

Well -- I did see much of the first half. Zac MacMath made a couple of stunningly great saves. Alex Lee looked pretty good on defense, too -- although it should be said the Heels are controlling most of the possession, the Terps were also denied on the goal line by either a great save or a lousy call.

Back to Zac -- he's clearly a very talented 'keeper, but his thin build has to be a huge concern for any MLS teams scouting him. He's listed at 6-1, but he seems to play smaller. If he's really 6-1, he can grow into being a pretty solid 'keeper -- with good training, he can develop more vertical leap. Not sure if he's ready to make the leap into the pros after this season, but MLS teams must be watching and waiting.

Posted by: fischy | September 25, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping the closed circuit deal becomes a financial disaster for MediaPro. My friends and family are all boycotting this event. This is something we don't need for American soccer. Not good. Not good at all.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 25, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

interesting comment, fischy. while the latest trend has been for monster keepers, there are a lot of skinny guys out there. I agree, however, that putting some more muscle on would help him avoid injury. I caught him at 3 games with the us u-18s and he was spectacular...until he broke his arm. he is still just a sophomore. i imagine he'll spend some time in the weight room.

Posted by: troy6 | September 25, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Tagney delivers with 2 minutes left. Thanks for the linked story on him.

Posted by: fischy | September 25, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I went to a soccer camp with Alex Lee a couple summers ago. It was when he was going into his freshman year at MD (I was going into freshman year at Sherwood) and he was a counselor of some kind. I got a signed ball from him and his twin brother in case one of them (or both) become famous.

Posted by: spikeman | September 25, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Just back from the match. Outstanding atmosphere. Match stayed at full intensity for the first 35 minutes then again the first 20 minutes of the second half and picked up again for the last 7 or so. What the hell kind of PK did #10 for UNC try to kick? He missed the goal by 5 yards. Very lucky for MD. I'm loving watching Evan White develop before our eyes. He had one Gooch-like "Obey" moment. Hard to believe he's a freshman. The place erupted on the goal. I'm not sure the team who played better won tonight, but I'll take it!

Posted by: dsheon1 | September 25, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree about Ethan White, he alone is worth the trip to Ludwig. Tonight, Tangney performed even better and the fact that he got the game winner was well-deserved.

Also, really like what I've seen of London Woodberry: he works very hard, can fly, and makes good decisions on the ball.

One DC United note: Josh Wicks came out for the game tonight and while Rodney Wallace and Marc Burch were being honored on the field at the start of the game, Wicks made himself available to the legions of kids running around the stadium. Josh didn't have to do it, but he seemed to go out of his way to entertain the folks that had come out tonight.

Posted by: CPAddick | September 25, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

By the by, I kinda know how Tangney felt -- although I had to deal with misdiagnoses. But, I tore one ACL and almost exactly a year later, tore the other. It was a few years before I finally got an MRI authorized on the first one, but I knew from the moment it happened. Just couldn't get the doctors to believe me. Neither one involved contact, but it's something you just know, even if you walk off the field. To have the two of them go in succession like that...it makes me wonder if some of us aren't born with an expiration date on our original parts. Nothing you can do to prevent them from tearing, when they've reached their limit.

Posted by: fischy | September 26, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

maybe you just have a hankerin' for dorkin' out fischy? sorry bro.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 26, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

all for the weight room in regard to US prospects. everyone else can go sit in a coffee shop with wireless internets.. and pray for the muscles it's going to take to win the world cup in 2018...

Posted by: DadRyan | September 26, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

"I went to a soccer camp with Alex Lee a couple summers ago. It was when he was going into his freshman year at MD" -spikeman

I played with him in high school...Him and his brother were starters when they were freshmen. Pretty good that's for sure. This was the first time I got to see him play at UMD and it was definitely a good showing.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 26, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Ummm -- dorkin' out? If that means what I think it does, it doesn't cover ligaments tearing from hyperextending.

Back to the cheating thing in the prior thread -- FSC ran a clip of a Bundesliga goalie who got caught narrowing the goal. Apparently, he's been doing it for years, but it just got noticed. He pulls the frameposts off a metal brace that's in the ground. Then, he pulls the bottom in to rest inside of that brace. Not a huge difference but it sure is cheating. Maybe I am naive, but I'm amazed that people do this kind of stuff. I understand PEDs, but I am kind stunned by this kind of cheating on the pitch.

Posted by: fischy | September 26, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

FYI - the Lee at PSU is injured.

Posted by: J_S_F | September 26, 2009 1:57 AM | Report abuse

J_S_F-

Anything serious?

Posted by: redskinsux | September 26, 2009 2:29 AM | Report abuse

Hey Steve -

I took your advice and started my own blog. My thoughts on today's game:

(I also posted the first piece). Thanks for all of your advice.

Posted by: nefariousjahs | September 26, 2009 2:29 AM | Report abuse

You started your own blog, huh? That's so 2005....Not sure anybody reads those things any more. Wish you all the luck, though...

Posted by: fischy | September 26, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Geez fischy. Give the kid a break. He's 17. I think it's a good sign that he's trying his hand at writing match reports.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 26, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

What a great game last night. Glad some of you could join us fellow Terps in our own backyard. The atmosphere was electric and the game lived up to its potential. VAMOS TERPS!!

Posted by: terptilldeath | September 26, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"Another desultory result, it was poised to become."

Sounds more like Dickens than blogging.

Posted by: Reignking | September 26, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

sorry fischy, I meant geeking out... You are right though, some people are just born to get hurt more than others, some have weaker parts and some are just less coordinated.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 26, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse