Thursday Kickaround

*Following the path of an increasing number of American players, Chicago Fire forward Chris Rolfe is off to Denmark after this MLS season.

*Seattle goalkeeper Kasey Keller, commenting in the Seattle Times on the crowd at RFK: "I was giving [DCU President] Kevin Payne a little shtick, saying this is our attendance for an autograph session. But D.C. fans were great."

*From Drew "Showcase Showdown" Carey's Twitter page: "Hey DC! You USED to win trophies! WHOOOOOO!!! 2-1!!!"

*Video of the Josh Wicks incident.

*The D.C. College Cup got underway in Fairfax with 19th-ranked George Mason edging Howard, 2-1, and American defeating George Washington, 2-0. The tournament continues Saturday with Howard playing GW at 5 and GMU facing AU at 7:30.

By Steve Goff  |  September 3, 2009; 9:06 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , D.C. United , MLS , U.S. Open Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: Lots of Reflection at RFK

Comments

Ouch. UVa has lost all 3 exhibition games, including 0-1 to GMU.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Goff, I just read a Reuters report that said FIFA has banned Chelsea from signing any new players during the next two transfer windows. Any word on what that's all about?

Posted by: TCompton | September 3, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

TCompton: Go to ESPN's page. It's up on there.

Pretty harsh.

Posted by: Str8Red | September 3, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Drew Carey's a jerk. DC United fans have way more passion than any Seattle fan could dream of having. I'll be looking forward to proudly wearing my DC United jersey when I go back home to Seattle!

Posted by: bigwave | September 3, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I think the Pearce / Bursapor signing has fallen through.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

i hate you drew carey

Posted by: KG118 | September 3, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Drew Carey is a tool.

Posted by: Pedalada | September 3, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Kasey Keller really is a class act. If the sounders do have any success in the CCL next season, it will be because they have him in goal. and Drew Carey sucks, but we had that coming (and probably a lot more to come) after Kevin Payne went on the warpath. That being said, KP deserves a lot of credit for marketing the game. To double the attendance from last year's final was an accomplishment, and the atmosphere was amazing.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

hmm - initial reaction to this story, wouldn't it be great if there was a large complex of fields in DC that could be used for organized and pick-up games. Perhaps, it could be anchored by a soccer stadium :)

Posted by: emanon13 | September 3, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Okay - credit to KP and DC United for marketing the heck out of the game, BUT... doesn't that raise the question of why they don't market the heck out of all DC's games?

Posted by: robb10 | September 3, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Damn. I saw Rolfe as a potential DCU acquisition this off-season.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 3, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Re-posted form the last thread because I crave the attention:

Someone needs to buy a cheap bust of George Washington at a souvenir shop, glue a container on its head and brand it "The Washington Cup."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 3, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

@VTUnited
I second that, it truly was a great atmosphere/solid turnout considering it was midweek.

Posted by: supamars11 | September 3, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

1. As I was saying, WICKS IS WHACK. Don't forget Crayton dancing with that cup a year ago.

2. Burch is a blatant cheap shot artist. I allowed my detestation of Blanco to cloud the fact that Burch tries to compensate for a lack of marking ability with cheap shots against virtually every attacking player. And I'm sick of watching a professional soccer player run around the ball to kick it with his good foot. That would get you benched on most U-13 teams, and in a 3-man back line in a professional league it's preposterous.

3. Schmid completely out-coached Soehn. Every jack-ass watching that game could see that Seattle was exposing the 3-back line virtually every time they were in possession. We didn't have ANYONE to put centrally with Jackovic? Schmid was missing BOTH central defenders and was able to field a 4-man back? Why? Because his TEAM knows what system they're playing and that system doesn't change from game to game. Schmid's substitutions were brilliant.

4. Goff's grade on Jackovic is insane. That guy was the best player on the team last night. He got beat one time. Soehn put him in an impossible position, and he damn near pulled it off.

5. DC United needs to break free of its South/Central American fetish and find some attacking players in Europe like Ljungberg or Huckerby. The best additions this year came from the USA/NCAA and from Hungary/Canada.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 3, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

While the result is massively disappointing from my perspective, I've heard from several non-regulars that attended last night that they thought the atmosphere was fantastic. Despite the loss, I've heard from these same non-soccer types that it was a great game. So high five for the marketing.

We can look back and wonder WHAT IF we didn't have a head case in goal? Or two uninterested Brazilians? Or a left back that when serving the ball doesn't put it into the stands or the wall?

Just sayin, I think there are a lot of long ignored questions that need answers at the end of this season for DCU to grow.

Posted by: cjholden15 | September 3, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: robb10 | September 3, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Because a) they're not very good at it. To beat a dead horse, when a local professional team is playing one match for a national championship, the best they can come up with is cryptic boxes saying "we win trophies"? Most associate that sort of ad with a car dealership or a nerdy junior high schooler. 99% of the OC attendants' increase was due to fans' efforts and a respectable opponent, not the club's marketing.

b) budgets were tight after last year's financial debacle and the economy-driven drop in sales.

I have heard DCU is looking for new marketing staff, so let's hope for more impact from these efforts.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 3, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

if wicks is in goal against dallas, that will be a disappointment. he needs to sit. I understand that we're in the playoff hunt, but he needs time to reflect and chill out.

and I certainly hope that MLS can come to agreement with the players union and do the things they need to do to stop losing good talent overseas. I understand the allure of europe, but we're losing too many guys to 3rd rate euro clubs. i'm not saying that AaB is a 3rd rate club, but rather talking about other transfers/teams.

Posted by: nairbsod | September 3, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

DC United needs to break free of its South/Central American fetish and find some attacking players in Europe...
Posted by: OWNTF
================

Add a center back to the shopping list. Jakovic will be going (back) to Europe in the transfer window. He's Nelsen-like.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 3, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Okay, the Chelsea transfer ban put me in a better mood. I wonder if Abramovich actually breathed a sigh of relief that he won't have to fork out any more massive transfer fees for a year.

Posted by: addick | September 3, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

=================
Nope. If we want the US MNT to compete for a World Cup we need to send MORE players to Europe and stop pretending that MLS is a world-class league.

I'm glad Rolfe is going, I think he could be an impact player for MNT. Wish he were larger and more durable.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 3, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Why am I not drinking a Mimosa from a Cup today???

Fred - GOTS TO GO!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 3, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Very good point 270. That Goff rated Burch higher than J last night makes me question Goff's acuity, at least on this one night.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 3, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals

And 100% of that was made up.

Wewintrophies was a great idea. DCU should be proud of its history -- unlike the rest of the city, DCU actually wins, and has actually won recently.

And they targeted their market correctly -- college-aged kids -- and gave them an offer they couldn't refuse.

The devil, though, is in the details -- Sodexho failed to deliver, and I don't see those new fans coming back.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

So if we get our wish, DC will win the MLS Cup and be back in CONCACAF CL next year. Hooray.

We're in the situation that mathematical logisticians call the Steve McLaren Paradox (like that? I just made it up) of wanting the team to win and the coach to leave at the same time.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 3, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Burch etc. take a lot of crap but Simms ball-watched and let Ljungberg blow by him to set up the first goal. Namoff was indecisive on the second after Jackovic got beat. He parked in no-man's land which led to Simms sliding to Namoff's man and leaving a late run free, who Simms otherwise should have picked up.

Though, come to think of it, a 4th defender might have been handy in either situation.

Posted by: benonthehill | September 3, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Has Sodexho EVER delivered?

Posted by: Hoost | September 3, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

A few things about the marketing effort: first, I loved it. I thought it as hilariously over the top and justifiably arrogant (unlike Seattle's unjustifiable, at least until last night, arrogance). That said, I think the execution could use some work. I really hope that the marketing team will be doing some kind of overall evaluation of this push to figure out what they did really well, what they need to improve on, what flopped, and how they can put forth sustained efforts.

Anecdotally, I'll share two brief things. First, some of my friends who have no interest in soccer (I am unfortunately the Office Soccer Guy) said to me yesterday: "Oh yeah, The United have some big game tonight, right? I saw something about it." So I think there was at least some awareness that something was going on. Second, at the Green Turtle on Tuesday I wound up sitting at the bar next to a woman who was a self-described sports lover. She was unable to attend the game, but did express some frustration that the team had no merchandise, paper tickets, extra flyers, etc. available at the bar. It's possible that she just missed them - but if she missed them, then they probably needed to be more prominently displayed. She went so far as to tell me that she had a feeling the marketing team needed a little work. I'd agree, but I also think that the effort was good and that as long as they use this as a learning experience I think it could pay off big dividends beyond just last night.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | September 3, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

At least we know Josh Wicks won't sign with Chelsea in the next year...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 3, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Not to make light of this tragedy, but after watching the video (I was at the game last night and didn't see The Stomp in real time because I was distracted), I gotta say, if you're gonna stomp on somebody, STOMP ON 'EM. Wicks' effort looked like a three-year-old freaking out in a sandbox. Puncture a lung or something for God's sake! Draw blood!

Posted by: loosek | September 3, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

After seeing the video I will agree Wicks is an idiot. At the very least he was angry and likely trying to intimidate Montero. But it is also clear Montero played it up for all he could. Perhaps some glancing contact was made but if he really stomped on his hand Montero would have been much more seriously injured than he appears to have been. Still a red card. But 5 minutes of rolling around on the ground on the field instead of off the field appears a bit over the top.

Posted by: fedssocr | September 3, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@Joel_M_Lane
I can't stop laughing.
Jackovic shut down the rapist for most of the game and deserves much higher marks.

Burch running around the ball to hit his service was great! It was even better when the service got waist high. Burch = 2

Posted by: UniteforDC | September 3, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

That's not needed, Unite.

If anything, make fun of his 80s haircut.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Montero should grow his hair a little higher so that we can call him Kid - or is it Play?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 3, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

What Wicks did was idiotic although I still haven't seen a replay showing that he actually made contact with his hand/wrist/arm. But my real question is how the hell does the 4th official make that call without using replay which is against the rules?

Posted by: mfrahm | September 3, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

United is like a middle age player who used to be really good and now just looks at the photos of his glory days and polishes the trophies he used to win. The management needs to change, the coach needs to change, and guys who can only play half or part of a game need to go. You can't win trophies with guys who can only play part of a game.

DC really has become a mediocre team.

Posted by: hacksaw | September 3, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF

-----------------------------------------
Theres talent anywhere in the world, its just that DC cant scout worth sH*t..!

!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 3, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"The Post's unparalleled soccer coverage"
---------------------------------------------------

So, we've got that, even if Seattle has the trophy. In fact, we've still got a newspaper -- two, if you count the Times, which the wife of Insider writes for.

Goff, do you get extra for the advertising?

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Jozy Altidore is on espn2 right now.

Posted by: sitruc | September 3, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

from KP's statement on their BTB blog:

"We will now refocus on CONCACAF Champions League, the hunt for playoffs and winning MLS Cup."

That's a joke right? "REFOCUS" on Champions League? When did we ever FOCUS on it in the first place?

Posted by: nairbsod | September 3, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@mfrahm - that definately needs to be adressed in that USSF Ref report or whatever that thing is. as Mason08 keeps pointing out, there is no way the 4th official could possibly have seen any contact, as Montero's body blocked wherever it was that Wicks's feet landed.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@VTUnited

Doesn't matter if Wicks made contact or not...a red card for violent contact can be given for either striking or an attempt to strike.

Posted by: icehippo | September 3, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

@VTUnited Exactly, the replay we've all seen is shot from the same angle as 4th official would've had and Montero's body blocks any view of what truly happened. A quick check of Montero's arm this morning should tell us whether contact actually happened (man I feel like a birther now). All that said Wicks is still an idiot for at a minimum putting himself in that position

Posted by: mfrahm | September 3, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff:

Have you ever asked Tom Soehn why he continues to try to use a 3-5-2 when each time he does it blows up in his face? If so, what is his response?

Also, sir, do you personally think said coach returns next year?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nairbsod | September 3, 2009 10:13 AM |

If Wicks is in goal against Dallas (doesn't it look much better with capital letters?), I think it would reflect some confidence in him from the coaching staff. He made a mistake. He's not the first player who got ejected this year -- remember Jaime's red card when he tracked down an opposing player to take him down after he lost possession? It happens. I won't be surprised if Soehn gives him a game to cool off, but it won't be the worst thing if he doesn't.

I have read some pretty extraordinary comments about Wicks -- calling him a "thug" suggesting he looks as if he's got a drug problem, all the way to that Albino Sounder's over-the-top racist comment about heroin, crack and guns. Wicks was racing to get the ball, As he tried to step over Montero, the guy rolled, which made it tough for Wicks to avoid him. I think anyone who assumes intent there, is assuming an awful lot.

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@icehippo you could also interpret the action as Wicks going towards Montero to yell at him to get up and then jumping over him because he was rolling around on the ground towards Wicks' ankles.

Posted by: mfrahm | September 3, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Looking at the current DCU roster here's who I'd keep (and no I'm no GM and haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn).

DCU Keepers (and no, not just hand jumping-on goalies):

Pontius
Olsen
Namoff
Jakovic
James
Simms
Quaranta
Moreno (if and only if he takes a pay cut and realizes that at this point he's a 30 minute player, at best)

Sad, that I can only come up with 7.5 players.

The Front Office needs to definitely take some of the blame here for some of these guys they've run out there.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

right on hacksaw. and I can't believe iI beat joedoc to this one

Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

(repeat twice)

Assorted all rights, oh yeahs, come on nows, hoots, etc til fade

Posted by: OWNTF | September 3, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

DC really has become a mediocre team.

Posted by: hacksaw | September 3, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Spot on.

A week ago I posted here that it was time for a reboot at the end of the season. I no longer believe that. Instead, I believe the reboot needs to start now. Last night was the final straw for me.

Soehn & Kasper should be fired, immediately.

Ashton and Simpson can stay for remainder of the season but their contracts should not be renewed.

The entire training staff should be fired, with extreme prejudice.

Olsen should be made player-coach for the remainder of the season. Hail Mary pass? Hell yeah...but it worked pretty well for Sky Blue FC.

The search for a new TD should begin immediately and it should have a global, no-stones-unturned scope.

Once the new TD is installed the search for a new 2010 manager begins.

As for the players, there's not much that can be done personnel-wise for the remainder of the season. But once the season is done the new TD and manager have to take a cold, hard look at who stays...most on the current roster should not. Right now the only players I see worth keeping are Wicks (despite his idiotic act last night), Kocic, Jacovic (if we can even keep him), James, Namoff, Olsen, Simms, Wallace, Pontius and Quaranta. That's not even enough players to fill the protected roster for the expansion draft, which illustrates just how bad things have become. Perhaps a player or two will change that between now and then, but as long as Dumb and Dumber (Soehn and Kasper) are in charge, I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | September 3, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------

Drew "MiMi" Carey needs to realize that Seatlle will be raped by the Concacaf giants next year cant wait to see that

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 3, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@ mfrahm - yeah, I think that was the beef that Wicks had when he was sent off. Wicks had to know that if the fourth official wasn't immediately indicating that a red card should be given, he didn't see the incident in real time.

That said, Wicks is definitely a head case - you had to see it from the beginning. Sure, a keeper needs to shout at his backs to help with positioning, but he doesn't have to be such a d!ck about it. He calls his guys out, tries to embarrass them. Watch how Keller handled his backs last night...that's the way it should be done.

Wicks' blowup at Burch in Chicago and last night's amateurish stomp (and subsequent tirade on Pruss...I totally thought Wicks was going to deck him!) are signs of a pattern. As many have said, he's a head case and to be honest, not one that I think United should have to deal with...let him go back to Portland.

Posted by: combedge | September 3, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@icehippo - I wasn't sayin he shouldnt have been thrown out, but I was concurring with a previous post about how the 4th official should not have interjected himself in the call, as he was in no position to judge what happened...unless he looked at the video board...which is not allowed.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

is the wikipedia clock wrong or am I reading wrong..

Seatlle page was "This page was last modified on 3 September 2009 at 13:22."

notice the 13:22, thats one o'clock in the afternoon, i think right?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 3, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

===

This is true, but do you really think Wicks tried to stomp and missed? Furthermore, the CR and AR1 could have made the same call (VC: Attempt to Kick), but either missed it or chose to ignore it.

Last point I'm going to add on this:

Q1: What usually happens after a good stomping?
A1: Teammates of the aggrieved bum-rushing the transgressor, and a mass confrontation ensues.

This did not happen last night. Wicks had time to walk back into his goal, pick the ball up, walk out and toss it up to midfield without anyone in rave green getting up in his grill? If it was visible from 60 yards away to the 4O, why did none of the players - who were much closer than that and for some, on the right side to see it - react violently? Their only reaction was to initally try and pick Montero up to celebrate his goal. Obviously, they too either didn't see it or were choosing to ignore it.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTUnited |

Why are saying he was in no position to judge? If he's watching the play and sees Wicks stomp on/at Moreno, that's enough for a red card.

Posted by: icehippo | September 3, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"Wicks was racing to get the ball, As he tried to step over Montero, the guy rolled, which made it tough for Wicks to avoid him. I think anyone who assumes intent there, is assuming an awful lot."
Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 11:10 AM

i have watched that play probably 50 times this morning already, and it is quite clear to me (from all angles) that wicks was attempting to stomp on montero. i cannot tell if he actually connected with his intended target, but that is immaterial. that is a clear-cut red card.

its sad really, because from what i saw of the replays his play was monumental. wicks seems to have impulse control issues...

Posted by: dfunkt | September 3, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Incidentally, Wicks' save on the Montero header in the first half made #7 on Sportscenter Top 10.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | September 3, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"Barring any breaking news, I will not rejoin you again until Friday from Salt Lake City, site of the USA World Cup qualifier the next evening against El Salvador. The Post's unparalleled soccer coverage this weekend will also include Jon Brand at Maryland's season opener against UCLA on Friday night in College Park and Paul Tenorio in Texas for D.C. United's league match against FC Dallas on Saturday night."
================

Except for the "I will not rejoin you again..." part, this is great stuff. The Post gets two thumbs up for its soccer coverage.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 3, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

===

The problem with this is that it also requires that the closer CR and AR1 were *not* watching the play since they had indicated no misconduct. This is an even larger problem than an overreaching or guessing 4O.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"notice the 13:22, thats one o'clock in the afternoon, i think right?"

Maybe it's GMT, so 8:22 EDT.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 3, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTUnited |

Posted by: icehippo

no, the 4th official was not in position to see Wicks make acutal contact. Montero's body was at an angle where it would have obscured the 4O's sightline to his right hand, which is what Wicks stepped on. check the tape. again, not defending Wicks here, he was correctly ejected for violent conduct (and should serve a lenghthy USSF suspension if for nothing else other than his subsequent interaction with Pruss), but the way the decision was arrived upon maybe wasn't correct.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Mason,
I don't know, I don't remember anyone from the US stepping up when Sanchez tried tripping Alitdore. A play like that, most guys on the field aren't going to see it because they will be celebrating or turning back up field. Did the 4th Official see it? I have no idea. He made the call so I can only assume that he did. The way I saw it, Wicks act was just incredibly stupid and there's no need for it. I see no argument with the red. It was warranted and then some. And quite frankly, I'd be disappointed if United doesn't do something about it (team suspension, or out right cutting). Afterall, isn't Tommy always trying to prove points by benching guys? (See Szetela, et al.)

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | September 3, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mason08

Looked to me like Prus first went over to the AR, then the 4O joined them. Who knows what was said, or who saw what?

Posted by: icehippo | September 3, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VercengetorixII

Even though it was right at him? ;)

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Who cares, Wicks DESERVED a red for his actions.

The blow up at the 4th official didn't help his cause either.

What a ma-roon.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Totally useless information cause I'm full of useless information. And I thought Exit 270 and others might have fun with puns.

PoPa 1-0 vs TPV Tampere
in the 9th min. of Finland's Ykkonen

Just thought you should know.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 3, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Also, it'd be nice if Pontius finished more of his chances.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

You can't see a thing from the tape. Amazing how the only word is a linesman on the other side of Montero's body. He could see a leg and foot come down but not whether they hit Montero or the ground.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 3, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Eniola Aluko scores 2 and England is thru to the semis in womens Euros.

Sonia plays later today.

Wicks is still whack.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 3, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Whats funny is that the USSF will just say.."Bad referee, bad referee, you were a bad boy" and shake their fingers.

And guess what DC will still be without the Cup.
Lets move on. Shall we! DC needs to focus on winning a game before seasons end.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 3, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

===

Well, that's true, but that incident also had a completely different quality. Altidore was running off toward the corner to celebrate someone else's goal, and it wasn't a stomp. It's only natural that the focus would be elsewhere. In this case, Montero was stationary, on the ground, and he had just scored a go-ahead goal in a cup final. Considering that two or three Sounders ran over to him and tried to lift him up, I think it's pretty safe to say that they were focused on him as they were running in his direction.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't going to weigh in on the whole Wicks thing, but here I go. This happened right under my nose. When I saw Wicks get up, I thought he was just trying to get the ball out of the net quickly. Then for some reason he chooses to go over Freddy when he could have gone around him. He hops over him and in mid-air, one leg (can't remember which one) kind of flicks out as he's coming down. One could argue that he was actually trying to avoid landing on Freddy. However, seeing it live right in front of me, I thought wow! Why did he just do that? It didn't look to me like he actually landed on Montero at the time. But it seemed to me that if he really was going to get the ball, he should have gone around the player on the ground. He knew who it was and he knew it was the player that not only just scored the goal, but also kneed him in the head a few minutes earlier. I watched as the center ref and AR communicated over the headsets and then looked at the fourth official who was nodding his head. Then they conferenced. I knew it was coming and told my wife even before the card came out. I went home and watched the re-broadcast to see it again up to speed and the replays. Bretos caught it and called it, too.

If Josh Wicks was trying to intimidate, retaliate, whatever and suddenly regretted it in mid-air, then too bad. Too late. You got what you deserved.

My biggest problem with this kind of behavior always happens in front of kids that we are desparately trying to turn into good sportsmen on Saturdays.

I'm reminded of too many of these ugly incedents the whole way back to Robby Alomar spitting on Hirschbeck - see also, Terrell Owens, Ricardo Clark, Marcus Vick, etc. Professionals have to keep their cool and remember who is watching.

Monkey see, monkey do.

Posted by: spata1 | September 3, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

@virginafan - i think thats exactly the point some of us were trying to make. regardless of how it was made, it was the right call, and wicks should be done for quite awhile.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

9Nine9: I will follow that...Bompastor and France play their quarterfinal later today (in Tampere).

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | September 3, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF - agreed. semantics are all I have left at this point.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

===

We know for sure that Prus didn't see anything, or saw something and ignored it, because if he had seen the VC, he would have just shown the card straight away, without all the discussion.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Monkey see, monkey do.

Posted by: spata1 | September 3, 2009 11:57 AM
----------------------------------------------------

Well, that was pretty careless, even reckless remark. I can't know what your intent in using that phrase was, but I'd say you'll "get what you deserve" when folks accuse you of racial insensitivity, if not out-and-out racism.

What were you thinking?

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Aalborgmerica!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 3, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

My biggest problem with this kind of behavior always happens in front of kids that we are desperately trying to turn into good sportsmen on Saturdays.
Posted by: spata1 | September 3, 2009 11:57 AM
==================

My 7 year-old's analysis of why DC lost:
1. Bad sportsmanship.
2. Bad defense.

Next game we're going to discuss playing a 3-5-2 when it hasn't worked all season so that he can add
3. Bad coaching.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 3, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I was so distraught this morning on my way to work on Metro, I backhanded a long-haired slacker who was wearing jeans and a flannel shirt. He looked Grunge.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 3, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Monkey see, monkey do" refers to children aping the behavior of professional athletes.

Forgive me, primatologists. I know that an ape is not a monkey.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 3, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Regardless, what's done is done. Wicks got the red. It was a stupid thing to do by him, however, I dont think he deserves to be kicked off the team. (Not what I was saying last night when it happened, but...)

He's got anger issues, I think he should be fined by the club and benched until he completes an anger management course. Gotta look at the bigger picture here. I mean, look what happened with Quaranta. Had major issues with drugs, got cut from DC, didn't play much in LA, fixed his issues and comes back to DC a different player.

I was not a fan of Wicks originally, but he has proven to be a decent keeper, though he (in my opinion) is a bit slow.

The Chicago game was the best game I've seen DC play in a while, with Gomez starting then Moreno subbing in for him. Last night, even though DC wasn't at the top of their game, I did see a quality game going on. After Wicks's antics, we still fought, but I could see how the momentum was definately in Seattle's favor.

Wicks essentially cost us the game with his precieved anger issues. This team can win and look like DC of old, but, it only happens in flashes.

Posted by: dogboy | September 3, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Shall we!

Seriously, Goff, come back. We need a new thread desperately.

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, Wicks was yelling at Montero while he was on the ground, glaring at him. He then stepped over him and put his foot on or very near Montero's hand.

There's absolutely no reason for it.

Don't tell me there's no intent there. It was disgraceful. He should be benched and fined by United.

Posted by: delantero | September 3, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

oh cmon fischy thats a reach. poster is saying that Wicks (who is whack) sets a horrid example for young people who are watching. Monkey (the kid) see, monkey (the kid) do. Which is a concern of all parents who see that their children emulate sports "heroes" of dubious character. Wicks (who is whack) is not the monkey in the age-old aphorism, the poster's child is.

Please turn down the racism detector a few notches because you're getting a false positive.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 3, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"Monkey see, monkey do" is a common phrase used when trying to teach older children to behave correctly because their younger siblings are watching.

No where in my post is there any mention of race being a factor in any part of the incident.

I'm enraged that someone would try to go there on me. I grew up in a multi-racial household and I currently live in a multi-racial household.

My hands are shaking as I type this I'm so upset.

Posted by: spata1 | September 3, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 3, 2009 12:09 PM |

Nice one!

@I-270 -- I guess my point was a bit too subtle. I think everyone knows what the phrase means, but one can look at the particular use of it in this discussion and cry "foul" -- assuming intent based on circumstances. With a red card from the 4th official.

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF
Thank you.

Posted by: spata1 | September 3, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Good account, spata1.

If the three involved officials were talking about it immediately, then I'm cool with it. Clearly, they all saw something, and were just trying to put it all together and get the call right. Maybe they were trying to figure out exactly who was the transgressor, exactly, since there were multiple DCU players nearby.

The fun thing about reffing is that you not only have to arrive at the correct decision. You also have to look like you knew what you were doing in getting there.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Shall we!

Seriously, Goff, come back. We need a new thread desperately.

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 12:10 PM

no kidding. By the time Goff gets back this thread will have a billion responses.

And I saw nothing racial in the monkey-see monkey do post.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

============================

Human see, human do.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 3, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

As I wrote above -- I was making an illustrative point, which everyone seems to have missed. Of course, there was nothing actually racial in the comment.

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Be cool Spata-
It's just a bit charged in here on that front. There've been people in here talking about how Wicks looks like a tweaker and how he needs to put down the crack pipe.

And some really weird comparisions to Brett Favre. Still don't get those...

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

DC really has become a mediocre team.

Posted by: hacksaw | September 3, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------

Crap, we're the Al Bundy of MLS....

Posted by: Josh86 | September 3, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@fischy
OK, but if you hadn't said it, maybe nobody else would have. You went there first. Even I missed your point because I saw red at the mention of it.

Posted by: spata1 | September 3, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Human see, human do.
Posted by: OWNTF
================

Well that's just sexist because "human" contains "man." You should use "person." No, never mind. "Homo sapien?" No, not that. "Individual."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 3, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I missed it.

And now I have one of my least-favorite DMB songs in my head.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

For that matter, there was nothing racial when Andrew Cuomo said "shuck and jive" when he meant "shake and bake", but that didn't stop a lot of people from absolutely going off on him, assuming intent and accusing him of racism, even though he was referring to all the candidates and not specifically referring to candidate Obama.

I was just saying it's very easy for people to go off and assume malicious intent -- but, if you step back, it doesn't even make sense. If Wicks wanted to hurt or intimidate Montero, why would he jump cleanly over him, and try to come down on his hand -- which wasn't even in the same place it was when Wicks left his feet? Really, it makes no sense. He was stupid to try and go over Montero, but I don't think he meant to step on him, much less stomp on his hand.

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Crap, we're the Al Bundy of MLS....

Posted by: Josh86 | September 3, 2009 12:21 PM |
------------------------------------

At least we have a hot daughter and wife than.

I mean, Katie Segal in that Sons of Anarchy is total cougar material.

Plus, as a kid there's nothing more that I wanted to be that Clown Dog delivery guy in the O's hat who was dating Christina and taking her on dates to watch turtles mate. I mean, that totally led to eventually bedding Sue Ellen Crandel.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Soehn will not be fired. Wicks will not be benched for disciplinary reasons (he might need a rest on Saturday).

The MLS season starts up again in two days, and I suppose DCU will put this loss behind them in that time, as they have all the other losses. The quotes from Gomez show that he got over his considerable anger quickly.

Monkey see, monkey do.

Vamos.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 3, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Really, it makes no sense. He was stupid
=====================

Agreed.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 3, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Even I missed your point because I saw red at the mention of it.
===

There will be no stomping in the comments!

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

And yes, I did make a Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead reference.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Why does Wicks need a rest, GoG? He's a GK and he got to sit out the last 20 of this one.

What? Too soon?

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

What? Too soon?

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if he needs a rest or not (but note that GK's are just as subject to fatigue and injury as anyone else). Just stating the opinion that he's much more likely to be benched (if at all) as a routine rotation than as a disciplinary move.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 3, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

United States international Heath Pearce's reported move to Bursaspor, a Turkish club, has been voided because the club and player could not complete an agreement before the close of the transfer period.

According to the club's official website Pearce wanted to re-work the contract just before signing it and the club and player did not have enough time to get the deal done before FIFA automatically closed the transfer window.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I said very early in the season DCU was "pedestrian". I amend that to now include, "and occasionally wacko."

Posted by: Ruthie1 | September 3, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

fischy you find racism where there is none to be found. geez.

Posted by: nairbsod | September 3, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey Drew Carey! You used to have a career!

Jeebus.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | September 3, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

So is Pearce a FA now - or was this originally a transfer deal?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 3, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Scratch that - I see now he's out of contract, and likely MLS bound!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 3, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Drew Carey never had a career.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I just found a copy of the Wednesday sports page on the sidewalk. While walking it to the trash can I glimpsed a blurb saying that Brett Farve faced a fine for an illegal block during Monday's pre-season game.

This may explain the albino's comment re: Farve, and will also complete my time spent on American football for the season.

Posted by: MrKrys | September 3, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

OT: Can someone check on Chest Rockwell? I haven't heard a peep from him, and I'm afraid last night's result and peformance may have sent him into some sort of medical malfunction.

Chest, you there? Is there anybody in there? Just yell if you can hear me! Is there anyone at home?

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 3, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

It was a joke, GoG.

I'd say he needs a match to "clear his head" after last night. Anyone who wants to can call it a suspension.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey Drew! Wayne Brady's funnier than you!

You need to be sentenced to hear the Yodeley Guy song all the way from here to Seattle on the next plane!

Posted by: bs2004 | September 3, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

For the sake of everyone's eyes, let us all hope that the Sounders do NOT get drawn against Saprissa in CONCACAF next year (assuming the USOC winner gets a Champions League berth).

Purple and rave green?? Oh my eyes.

On the other hand, let's see how the new kids react to the Monster's Cave...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 3, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

""Yeah the refs really screwed DC United. C'mon. Seattle had the better team. Seattle had the better coach. Seattle had the better management. And the Seattle goalkeeper is not whack. Posted by: OWNTF""

That pretty much sums it up.

Posted by: delantero | September 3, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

So can the "We Win Trophies" t-shirts be found next to the Patriots' "19-0" shirts?

Posted by: Section117 | September 3, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I didn't even finish reading the comments before coming down here to comment.

Monkey see, monkey do? Are we really getting upset over that? There was no racial intent there, c'mon guys. So is it ok to say that if someone is white?

I understand the desire to be PC, but lets not assume that everything has a racial undertone, especially when using a keypad.

Posted by: torrey151 | September 3, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, should have read the rest of the posts before commenting on Visionmonkey.

Posted by: torrey151 | September 3, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Does Wayne Brady need to smack a b*tch?

Posted by: torrey151 | September 3, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

man the stomp is getting as much attention as the head butt heard around the world...

laugh and enjoy!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 3, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

A bright spot not yet commented on--Jakovic's first touches were excellent all night long. There were many examples of well-played balls from Seattle that he deflected away with his head and feet directly to teammates who could then play the ball back upfield--excellent work (Goff's rating in this case is a puzzlement--even conceding the role in Seattle's last score).

Why oh why didn't we play in a 4-4-2? For all the mistakes and other factors, I think this put us behind the eight ball before we stepped on the field. Goal one probably does not happen against a 4-man back line. Goal two should have never happened in the first place--three defenders standing there marking no one. Ugh.

Posted by: snakebit | September 3, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Wicks = roid rage

Posted by: GeneWells | September 3, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Wicks = roid rage

===

For some people, crazy comes naturally.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: snakebit | September 3, 2009 1:33 PM
===================

I'm very curious why there's been no explanation or questioning as to why Bozo The Coach seems to be so caught up in the 3-5-2 (for 3 years now).

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Which CB would you put in, and who comes off? I think the reason they play the 3 man back line is because it means you can play both Olsen and Simms.

I wouldn't go for Janicki over Olsen. Simms > Benny at Dmid, and I don't think Benny can run the wing anymore, not to mention he's more influential in the middle, but can't do it without Simms.

I think Soehn would like to go 4 man, but James was ineligible, and Janicki has been shocking; McTavish as CB is over as a first 11 option.

To sum, it's not the formation the coach loves, it's getting the guys he wants on the field.

Posted by: JkR- | September 3, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

im not any great tactician, but wouldn't the reason for the insistent use of the 3-5-2 have something to do with it being one of the only formations where you can fit Olsen, Simms, and Gomez out there at the same time, in positions that they can actually play. Olsen and Gomez are paid too much to be part timers, esp with Moreno in a similar situation. beyond that, we dont seem to have a capable 2nd centerback.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Good points.

However, with that said, when have we seen the 3-5-2 work in favor for us? Seriously, I can't remember.

I just think with our current group the 4-4-2 gives us the best chance to win, no matter who's on the field (as long as it's not Hamburgesa).

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

When Nelsen was the lone CB, and the first year of Boswell, IIRC.

Posted by: JkR- | September 3, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

didn't it work ok like 3 or 4 years ago? when everyone was 3 or 4 years younger...

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

PMP-
Given USOC-related roster constraints, I don't know how realistic it was to expect a 442.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

3 D's, 2 D Mid's vs 4 D's and 1 d-mid means Olsen comes off.

I don't have a problem with that, but I'd like to see that acknowledged by those who don't like the 3-5-2.

Posted by: JkR- | September 3, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Randomly:
I always thought we should go after Chris Rolfe - he gets snap shots off with no obvious warning.

I think Goff marked Jacovic down because of his blunder (perhaps his ONLY blunder) that let Le Toux get free to cross to Levesque for the second goal.

From where I was in section 204, row 4, Wicks' action looked like an obvious red card. I couldn't figure out why it took so long for the card to be produced.

The 3-5-2 is designed to provide some midfield defense that Gomez won't provide on his own. Let's get some real two-way midfielders on the pitch and we can use a 4-4-2. Szetela time?

Why didn't Tommy start Pontius and Quaranta together? We lacked speed and aggressiveness.

Posted by: b18bolo | September 3, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Goff is hinting at some "spicy" DCU news on his twitter page. My guess is that it is about Szetela.

Posted by: hoyanick1 | September 3, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

They put the $2 beers in a different line from the $2 hot dogs, making it impossible to buy both. I opted for the hot dog line, and waited 45 minutes (no exaggeration). (the last 25 of the 1st half plus 20 during halftime). I ended up buying full price beer and a couple hot dogs. It was a horrible experience. I was mad and so was everyone around me. Sodexo was completely unprepared for the demand the ad campaign had generated. The poor lady at the counter was all alone, and she had to start each order from scratch - pouring beer from cans, putting dogs on buns, wrapping them in foil, arranging the tray, and processing payment - no wonder it took so long. Plus we lost.

Posted by: WorldCup | September 3, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: b18bolo

Yes, once again, they both don't start...they should be starting.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with Olsen coming off. I don't think him, Gomez, or Moreno are 90 minute players any more anyway.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Which CB would you put in, and who comes off?
===================

Emilio; Moreno

Olsen (or Quaranta); Gomez; Simms; Pontius

Wallace; John; Jakovic; Namoff

and Whack in the Back

Also WTF is up with Szetela? Why even have him on the bench?

Posted by: OWNTF | September 3, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

New rule: If you want to insert someone into the lineup, you have to say who you want to come off.

All in favor?

Posted by: JkR- | September 3, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

that comment about the lines is exactly why I got to the stadium extra early. Got my two dogs and two beers and didn't encounter a line. anyone could see disaster at the concession stands coming. Felt sorry for the folks waiting forever. Go buy yourself a Costco hotdog and soda for 1.50 and make yourself feel better. :)

Posted by: nairbsod | September 3, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Wicks bought Montero a box of chocolates.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

fischy you find racism where there is none to be found. geez.

Posted by: nairbsod | September 3, 2009 12:45 PM

Ummm...no, I don't. You don't read very closely.

---

2 24 oz. cups of Modelo Especial

Cost: $10 each

Wait time: About 3 minutes

1 pupasas and 1 sausage rice and beans plate

Cost: $6 and $10

Wait time: 5-7 minutes at halftime

Being able to enjoy a good beer, good food, a thrilling game and fully enjoy my tickets: Priceless

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say Drew Carey never had a career?

Sure - oh, except for those shows that lasted for years on television, earning him millions of dollars and enabling him to co-own the BEST TEAM IN THE US!!

GO SOUNDERS!!

Sorry - couldn't help it. Well up to all you DC fans, but my Sounders are here to stay. See you on the 12th for another whuppin'!

Posted by: Buddydog | September 3, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Since we're on the subject of the back line, seems to me in '07 we had the most points in MLS and who was on the back line?
Namoff, Burch, McT and Boswell!! Then in '08 the FO decided to IMPROVE IT, with Peralta and Martinez?? We've been sliding ever since.

Posted by: patrick18 | September 3, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

See you on the 12th for another whuppin'!

===
2-1 isn't a "whuppin".

"Whuppins" are what MLS teams get in Mexico and Central America because of fixture congestion. Good luck!

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Modelo Especial is garbage...

The only hot dog line I stand in is at Hot Doug's.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

In my book, what the Sounders did to DC last night qualifies as a "whuppin," but absent any formal definition, we're left with my opinion vs. yours.

Even though I'm a SFC fan, having lived in DC I've enjoyed attending DCU games, and I have to give credit to DC for a great fanbase which has contributed a lot toward the success of the MLS. Without it, the MLS would not be in the position to expand and make room for teams like my beloved Sounders. So kudos to you and yours.

But I'm still going to relish this sweet, sweet taste of victory and razz you about your 19th-century stadium...

Posted by: Buddydog | September 3, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

In your book, winning by one up a man from 69' on while giving up the majority of the posession is a whuppin? Sounds more like a pamphlet.

Furthermore, RFK is a 20th century staidum, as evidenced by it's use of electric light and indoor plumbing.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Electric light and indoor plumbing may be the only thing RFK has going for it. The bathroom nearest to me didn't even have soap. It has a dispenser, so evidently it did occur to SOMEONE that soap was a good idea, but no one thought to fill it.

The TVs in my section didn't work. The condiment area ran out of ketchup.

Oh, and by the way - bird crap doesn't count as paint, but at least someone's trying to cover up the drab grey walls.

Posted by: Buddydog | September 3, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

wait, they were out of ketchup?!? the injustice. and no one goes to RFK expecting to find soap, or a working paper towel dispenser, so if you get one outta two, its like a bonus.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Soap?

Just pour a little beer on your hands. Scrub. Rinse. The hops are good for your skin.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Perspective!

Which is worse? Wicks (alleged) misconduct last night or Lucy's kicking of the waterbottles? (Not saying either call was right or wrong.)

Stupid? Yes.
A Mistake? Yes.
Deserving of banishment? Hardly.

Posted by: carnack | September 3, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

How much more are Americans getting paid in Denmark (or Sweden or Norway) than in the MLS?

Posted by: bartapest1 | September 3, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Damn. I saw Rolfe as a potential DCU acquisition this off-season.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals
--------------

Posted by: bartapest1
------------------

Rolfe's departure from Chicago is a sad one for me as a FIRE fan. However, it isn't really all that unexpected.

When Frank Klopas [The moron posing as the GM of the FIRE] dropped $255K/Yr * 4 years on a worthless turd named Justin Mapp, then re-upped the ultimately-replaceable Logan Pause and the ultimately-average Jon Busch [each at or above $100K/yr], this was one step out the door for Rolfe.

Chris Rolfe has also been playing LEFT mid instead of his natural striker position all year. [Yes, you read that right: The mouthbreathing morons in the coaching staff think its a good idea to put the very RIGHT-footed Rolfe on the left, and the very LEFT-footed Pappa on the right.] This represents the other step out the door.

What you get is a frustrated, out of position player that can't get his rightful payday.

This isn't new, by any means. Watch as Conde and Pappa and Blanco all follow Rolfe and Soumare out the door next year. And this is all due to inept management and incompetent field management for the FIRE.

But here's the good news, MLS fans: You'll be treated to 3 more years of Justin Mapp aimlessly walking around MLS pitches to the tune of $255K/yr. You'll get to see Logan Pause backpass, and Jon Busch let in soft goals for years, too.

When the next worthless piece of garbage is due for his contract in MLS, he'll [rightfully] point to the WORST CONTRACT IN MLS HISTORY in Justin Mapp to justify an obese salary. When the CBA comes due for renegotiation, and the salary structure is screwed up, thank Frank Klopas.

In a league with a salary cap, inept management and incompetent field management will screw up the entire league.

Posted by: khan1 | September 4, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse