Thursday Kickaround

*Updating the Insider's exclusive report that the USA-Honduras World Cup qualifier will be shown live on closed circuit only: The company that owns the rights is in the process of lining up bars and restaurants to show the match for a cover charge. Initially, the focus was on establishments geared toward Latin American fans, but now a broader collection of sites is being pursued. More details in the coming days/weeks.....

*The USA national team has never done it. And until Wednesday night, no MLS club had accomplished it: Win at Estadio Saprissa in Costa Rica. The Columbus Crew made history with a 1-0 Champions League victory at the Monster's Cave. Not a good couple weeks for Ticos at Saprissa: First, Mexico thrashed the national team, 3-0, and then an American squad won there. Meantime, American shortcomings in Mexico continued as Houston dropped a 2-0 decision at Pachuca. In Kansas City, a crowd of 26,119 watched Chivas defeat Mexican rival America, 2-1, in a friendly at Arrowhead Stadium.

*More on the Insider report that Philadelphia Union might play its home opener at Lincoln Financial Field.

*Americans Abroad:

Europa League, Everton-AEK Athens 3 p.m. GolTV
Copa Sudamericana, Lanus-River Plate 7 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
CONCACAF Champions League, Toluca-Marathon 8 p.m. Galavision
Europa League, Panathinaikos-Galatasaray 8 p.m. GolTV
CONCACAF Champions League, Comunicaciones-Real Espana 10 p.m. Galavision

By Steve Goff  |  September 17, 2009; 8:45 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , CONCACAF Champions League , Costa Rica , MLS , Mexico , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Site of Philly's Home Opener Unclear
Next: Philly, Ticos, Adebayor, DCU Updates

Comments

someone tell Summers that if I don't have to pay a cover charge, I'll arrive hungry and thirsty. If they do charge, I'll eat before I go and nurse one beer all game long.

Posted by: troy6 | September 17, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Toluca defeats Marathon 3-1. DCU back in the CCL after their next match when they too defeat Marathon.

Posted by: supamars11 | September 17, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Basel and Roma, a classic combination. Just add some mozzarella, and we're set.

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Lets go Toluca (I thought I would never, ever say something like that!)

Posted by: strago | September 17, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

AWESOME result for Crew, but saying that Houston's lost to Pachuca shows "American shortcomings" is a bit harsh. The team was without several players due to the ridiculous refereeing of the last CCCCL game they played and Tally Hall had a coming out party.

LEARNSOMETHINGNEW: Pachuca was started at the beginning of the 20th century by Cornish (english!) mine workers, and for nearly a decade was an all-english team. Kinda makes them awesome.

Posted by: crocken | September 17, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Troy6,
To be fair, I'm not sure that the bars showing these kinds of broadcasts have a lot of choice as to if/how much to charge for covers. The company that has the rights to the broadcasts makes that decision. At least, that's my layman's understanding of how it works.

Posted by: pecanturtle | September 17, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Pecanturtle is right. Once at Summers I got to chatting with a girl who did not work for Summers but worked for the provider (Setanta maybe?). Anyway, her job was to go to venues doing PPV and collect the $$ for Setanta. Summers has its issues, but this is not one of them.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | September 17, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

yea... i had to shell out 20 bucks a game for the Rugby World cup a few summers ago... that sucked.

Posted by: crocken | September 17, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Basel and Roma, a classic combination. Just add some mozzarella, and we're set.
Posted by: Reignking
====================

As a salad or pizza, pan or thin of kos.

It's going to be a long thread (for the pun haters).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that's disappointed by the possibility that my first experience in the new Philly stadium will either be for a non-DCU game or not until next year? I was looking forward to the two-stop new MLS Soccer Stadium Tour for DC away games. We've got to break in the new RFK branches - North and Central.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | September 17, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I think I have a prescription for Vercengetorixll. Is that the generic or trade name?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Why can't PU (pun intended) play in an unfinished stadium? After all, if you take the Lerner's point of view, Nationals' stadium is still incomplete. PU can play two seasons and still not pay rent.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to the Crew! Some of there fans talk way too much smack and are annoying as hell (I learned that firsthand when I went to support Puerto Rico in the CCL opener there last month)--but ya gotta give the devil it's due:

They got it done and they should be proud--the only bad part is now I gotta listen to more smack from the most obnoxious ones--oh well, it's like they say "to the victors go the spoils".

Hardhats, I salute you.

Posted by: yankiboy | September 17, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Vercingetorix was Julius Caesar's main native opposition during his conquest of Gaul. From HBO's Rome series:

In other news, I was going to post something soccer-related but have now forgotten what it was. But Julius Caesar never got any victories at Pachuca or Toluca.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 17, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Union stadium couldn't be finished on time because of the unions?

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Caesar plays for Valencia.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

And, of course Inter.

I told you it was going to be along thread.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I'll repeat what I said originally. Anybody else suspect this was done by the powers that be in Honduras as a way to keep American fans from viewing the telecast? It was my first gut instinct and the fact that Latin American bars in this country were the original targets reinforces my initial instincts. Why Latin American bars folks? So we could watch? Motivation for them? Nothing more than pure spite. It's not such an outrageous thought IMO.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 17, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I told you it was going to be along thread.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 10:33 AM

It's thyme to stop this nonsense. Chive got better things to do!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | September 17, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

If you are lucky enough to have DirecTV, they are showing UEFA CL and Europa games in HD for free, incl. CSKA Sofia(go reds!) vs. Fulham today.

Posted by: sofiaboy | September 17, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Who are TPTB in Honduras?

Business owns right to game.
Business wants to maximize profit.
Business is not the country of Honduras.

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Villarreal plays today, but Marca doesn't expect Rossi to start.

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

EJ is on the Fulham roster.

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I thought Caesar's main opposition in Gaul was Asterix and Obelix???

Posted by: Tweaked | September 17, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"The Honduran federation sold the U.S. TV rights for the Oct. 10 game in San Pedro Sula to MediaPro, a Spanish-based firm that serves as a middle man for coverage that often appears on ... pay-per-view and closed circuit."

Steve Goff

Reignking,

The Honduran Federation sold the rights. The company wants to maximize profits with a initial plan to show the game in Latin American bars? HORSE HOCKEY! That is not maximizing profits, that is an agenda.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 17, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Obviously the conspiracy to prevent American fans from watching the match is orchestrated by Chavez (Hugo not Caesar).

I'm thinking that I should have a salad for lunch. You know, the one with romaine lettuce and a dressing of Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and Worcestershire sauce. Can't think of the name right now.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Watched some of the Houston match on FSC and was pleasantly suprised how well Houston did considering the absences in midfield - Holden most of all, but also Clark and others. If Holden finds his way overseas (again), and Clark's move to Italy actually happens, Houston will have real issues in midfield. On a more positive note, anyone agree that Geoff Cameron is a potential national team player?

Posted by: sportsparenttoo | September 17, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to apologize for breaking the chain of puns. I know they say, when in Rome...but I have always found that rather Gauling

Posted by: sportsparenttoo | September 17, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: croftonpost | September 17, 2009 11:09 AM

You still haven't explained what that agenda is. Why on earth would the Honduran FA care who watches a match on television in our country? What advantage can be gained by an FA by our fans not seeing a match?

Now if MediaPro handed some cash under that table to the Honduran FA, that's a different story. And still has nothing to do with the Honduran FA caring about whether we see the match here in the US.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 17, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: croftonpost

Or it is a focused marketing plan utilizing limited resources.

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@croftonpost: Bro, no disrespect whatsoever intended but the Latin American establishments are already the customers (in some cases for several WC/Copa America cycles). I'm not tryiong to be smart but I think that RK is really onto something here.

It's biznez. Nothing more. Nothing less. The agenda is to get paid. The barrier that they face is that outside of a the customers that they already have cultivated for years--in order to approach the non-Latin establishments they have to harvest new relationships in a very short amount of time.

They have worked with a guy like Joe @ Summers but that is an execption. There is not a lot of time for them to try to market themselves to new clients.

Meanwhile, they can jack up the rate if they want to for the clients that they already have for this crucial qualifier and if they can expand their brand by getting some non-Latin clients then they still make out.

Like the Wu-Tang Clan used to say it:
C.R.E.A.M. (Ca$h Rules Everything Around Me--dolla dolla bill, y'all)

Posted by: yankiboy | September 17, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I think we'll probably see the usual list of bars that will show the Honduras match. Going to be a logistical NIGHTMARE for places like Lucky Bar and Fado - closing a portion of the bar at 10pm on a Saturday night and then charging people $20 to get in to that area for the match - ugh. They might decide it's not worth the hassle.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 17, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

And now I'm reading EJ is not on the Fulham Zooropa roster (that's disappointing).

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Here's the official team sheet, RK. Not sure how Johnson managed to stay off it...

CSKA Sofia vs Fulham

CSKA Sofia: Karadzhov, Kostadin Stoyanov, Minev, Kotev, Ivanov, Todorov, Yanev, Morozs, Yanchev, Ivan Stoyanov, Delev

Subs: Ivaylo Petrov, Vidanov, Vladimir Manchev, Timonov, Branekov, Michel, Marquinhos

Fulham: Stockdale, Kelly, Pantsil, Baird, Smalling, Gera, Riise, Greening, Davies, Kamara, Nevland

Subs: Zuberbuhler, Watts, Saunders, Anderson, Uwezu, Marsh-Brown, Smith

Referee: Darko Ceferin (Slovenia)

Posted by: Kev29 | September 17, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Is this possibly the first time an MLS squad has won at Saprissa?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 17, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Nailed it! :) And to think the Crew did it without Moreno or Schelotto.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 17, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm not buying it guys. I simply don't see how a plan to televise the game in Latin American bars is maximizing profits. Too many areas of this country have a minimal Latin American population for this to be an intellgent marketing plan. If this was being distributed to larger venues then I might understand. If you guys think there simply isn't an American market for this game then I believe you have greatly underestimated the American soccer market. We may not be Europe, Central America, or South America but international soccer definitely has a place here and it isn't entirely foreign or naturalized fans. World Cup ratings were at a record high in 2006.
I'll be real interested in the numbers after this game. I suspect that the revenue generated by this idea will not amount to the network contracts of the past or even come close. I'm not buying that this is simply business. Something about this just stinks.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 17, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

crofton - again, I think you're confusing business with conspiracy. The Honduran FA sold the rights to a media company that routinely buys matches - the Hondurans took the money and they're done. That company (MediaPro) have made the decision that they can make more money by offering it on a closed circuit PPV feed than they could by selling the rights on to ESPN. They claim that ESPN's offer was too low.

Now they claim that demand will require more than the list of Latin American bars they would usually sell to. This only justifies their point to keep the rights - if they're going to sell more PPV packages to gringo bars. This is a clear cut business decision - just like the one NBC Universal made when they kept the English language rights to the Mexico match and plopped the game on mun2.

All of this is a direct effect of media companies realizing that there IS value in showing US matches to the American audience, not the opposite. People want to keep the rights and pocket the cash. The US team has raked in surprisingly good TV numbers this Summer. ESPN is playing catch up when it comes to securing the rights - and frankly, they don't want to pay MediaPro a ton of money just to put the match on Classic (because of college football that night).

Posted by: Kev29 | September 17, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29 -- You underestimate the reach and villainy of the Honduran Football Federation. 48 years ago, they planted a phony birth announcement in a small Hawaiian newspaper, hatching a decades-long conspiracy to put in an American President (actually Kenyan-born and not eligible to serve) who would sit idly by while the Federation sold the rights to a crucial USA-Honduras match to a Latino company that would restrict USA viewership to closed circuit sites. Now that the truth is out, it's only a matter of time before a coup here restores lawful constitutional government to the USA again.

Posted by: fischy | September 17, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

fischy, I really meant it when I said that you should stay away from that foil helmet!;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | September 17, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

:-D

Posted by: Kev29 | September 17, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I have dug even deeper into this conspiracy -- by which I mean I've opened some spam email -- and it turns out that he's not even Kenyan-born. All that stuff about his Kenyan family is a misdirection, created so we would not realize he's actually Honduran...

Posted by: fischy | September 17, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Kev,

I hear you but lets see where the numbers are after this is over. I still find it hard to believe the this idea is going to make more money for them. Only time will tell.
I'm not implying a conspiracy. I'm simply saying that motivation is sometimes irrational. Not every act carried out by human beings is attached to logic as can be seen daily in any newspaper.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

It's all business, but there may be some kickbacks involved.

And anyway, September 11, 2001 was planned and executed by secret forces in the US Government under pressure from Haliburton, Blackwater and Lockheed Martin. Read about it on CNN here: http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/06/12/iraq.contractors/index.html

Et tu, Brute?

Posted by: WorldCup | September 17, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

One other item to consider guys. This PPV or closed circuit strategy is exactly why boxing has gone from one of this country's most popular spectator sports to close to irrelevant. They took the product off network TV and the sport diminshed in popularity. Exposure is what brings in fans, attracts advertisers, and ultimately makes money. The closed circuit idea is a loser.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 17, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The closed circuit idea is a loser.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 17, 2009 3:53 PM

MediaPro could care less about the health and growth of American soccer - they want to get paid on 10/10/09 - that's it. And no one here is endorsing closed circuit as a great idea - it's a business decision made by one company - not Honduras, not the USSF and not the fans of either team.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 17, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Just because MediaPro doesn't care doesn't end this. There are way too many companies and American interests involved here. This is a slippery slope. If this practice continues then many will lose to include US fans and companies that have a vested interest in soccer (ESPN among them).

Posted by: croftonpost | September 17, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I won't be able to watch it live. What I'd like to know is if there will be a way to watch it later?

Posted by: fischy | September 17, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Well, I won't pay $20 to see this game in a bar, no matter what, and frankly, if most of us had the ability to pass on this match then perhaps that would put an end to this ridiculous approach.

Alas, I know it's hard to not buy in when it comes to the emotions of a futbol fan so they'll likely make some money. I just hope it's not very much.

Posted by: Ciscokid50 | September 17, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

It's going to kill me but I certainly won't pay for this. I don't want to put a cent in the pockets of those that are behind this.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 17, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Why don't we just invade Honduras?
It's closer than Afghanistan, they don't wear turbans, they already changed their leader so we won't have to, and occupying their TV stations should be easier than the AfPak border.
After the match we could either stay on for another 8 years or so
(and capture some of their promising youth players and nationalize them), or if they let us win, as the Iraqis did, we could drop soccer balls in friendly villages with red/white/blue "USAID" logos.
What's the downside?

Posted by: bechtoldpk | September 17, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

For 2002 and to a lesser extent in 2006 I would be first in line to drop cash at a bar to watch a qualifier.

With at least 15 matches to choose from on that day, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who just don't care to invest the time and $$$ in going out to a bar to watch a game. There's just not enough USMNT soccer culture out there to get people jazzed up to pay for it. Hell, it was a pretty weak showing for the "free" game on MUN-2 against our biggest rival.

Isn't DC United playing that night as well?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | September 17, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

LOL about DCU playing the same night Jay!
thx!