Early Tuesday Kickaround

*Little-known fact about the U.S. Open Cup: Only five foreign players are permitted on the 18-man game-day roster. What does that mean for D.C. United in Wednesday night's championship game against Seattle at RFK Stadium? According to the club, the foreign service is Fred, Gomez, Habarugira, Jakovic, James, Khumalo, Kocic and N'Silu. (Players with green cards/permanent residency, such as Moreno, do not count as foreigners.) James (cup-tied), Khumalo and N'Silu (both on the injured list) won't play. Shipalane is also cup-tied.

Emilio received his green card recently, but as of late yesterday, United was still awaiting the USSF to certify that the Brazilian striker (considered a foreigner in the earlier rounds) would not count against the limit.

*Advanced ticket sales for the final are around 12,000 -- very good for a midweek game but, in my mind, disappointing considering the amount of energy and money that DCU has pumped into marketing the match. That said, 15,000 would be a nice showing after 8,200 came out for last year's title game.

*Meantime, United has been confronted by a potential legal issue involving its Volkswagen sponsorship. The club said it had no comment.

*Planning to go to South Africa for the World Cup? Bring a tent. Rooms are scarce.

*Trinidad & Tobago, the USA's World Cup qualifying opponent next Wednesday in Port of Spain, is getting settled in Honduras for this weekend's qualifier (roster listed). Might we see Bobby Zamora, USA midfielder Clint Dempsey's teammate at Fulham, make his Soca Warriors debut soon?

*Americans abroad:
MF Alejandro Bedoya played 90 in Orebro's 2-0 win over Gefle in Sweden

By Steve Goff  |  September 1, 2009; 12:06 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , CONCACAF , D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Adu Loaned to Belenenses
Next: D.C. United News & Notes

Comments

Early indeed, I'm going to bed...

Posted by: PEddy | September 1, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

I guess 12k is low. But school just started, school sports, activities, life, etc. It is a tough mid-week sell. Sorry.
Friday night would have been ideal, just not feasible, I know.
And to the chattering class from Washington.....state.......Tues afternoon wasn't a much better sell.
Here is hoping for a full first team squad - as much as possible with the restrictions noted above.
This should be fun.

Posted by: marksman37 | September 1, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

SEE!?
Kocic will have to be there. It sucks that James is cup tied. Who wants to see Hamburgesa or Janick again?
Totally awesome ey?
Good news is Hurtado is out for the Sounders and I think Marshall is questionable.

I wanna see United score at least two in the first half. Shock and Awe, and beer showers, and smoke bombs!
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | September 1, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

YOu guys are underestimating the walk up.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 1, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm bringing four friends on Wednesday, non-regulars, and hoping to bump that up to eight or more. People like the words "two dollar beer" and "two dollar hot dogs."

Posted by: eadc | September 1, 2009 1:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping the walk up brings us to 18k or so, and I think it could happen. It seems like there are enough diehards out there who've gathered quite a few more friends than they normally would. Normally I only know 3 friends that might go occasionally, now it seems like there are 11 going (who still don't have tickets). Hopefully the team can give all the newbies something worth watching while the BB, SE, and la Norte can make RFK rock like it should for a cup final...this is a pretty unique opportunity to bring in new fans.

I'm so frustrated I can't be there.

Posted by: TassieTiger | September 1, 2009 2:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinking weather may help a bit, it's going to be a perfect evening Wed. Was that legal bit written by a small child?

Posted by: DCB23 | September 1, 2009 5:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joshuaostevens | September 1, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

there ya go DR; you knew Goff would tell you eventually.

by my math, only four of the listed foreign players will play, so it shouldn't matter whether Emilio is listed as foreign or local.

see ya'll tomorrow. I'll be the one in the DCU shirt. :-)

Posted by: troy6 | September 1, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, those numbers struck me too. Does that mean the VW "Presenting Partner" deal is only worth $300K?

Posted by: fedssocr | September 1, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

"this is a pretty unique opportunity to bring in new fans."

Yeah, and DCU blew it with that pathetic ad campaign. How many people look up websites for every random meaningless print ad they see? "We Win Trophies" is the boast of an eighth grade chess team, and they don't offer 2 dollar beers.

Apart from long time fans who regularly attend games, I think ONE person I've spoken to had any idea about the game, the discounts, what it means, etc. Even one season ticket holder I spoke to had no clue.

On the other hand, Kudos to the fans who are bailing them out with word of mouth. And it is gonna be great -- meeting a class (if unloveable) MLS team in the Cup final, biggest home game so far this year, decent sized crowd at least, etc. See you there!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 1, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if this was posted, but here's the video of Axel Witsel's (Standard Liege) brutal tackle on Marcin Wasilewski (Anderlecht):

You may not want to watch if you have a weak stomach.

Posted by: addick | September 1, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Forget going to WC2010. That's the final nail in the coffin.

And I like how they kept using the word "scheme" in that article. That's what it feels like.

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

"Concerning the legal bit: they claim they are owed a 22-25% commission, but are only suing for 75 grand? How's that work?"

They were willing to take less than the full commission, so they may be seeking less in court. My guess is their responsibility was less than total, and/or the paper trail is incomplete. Whether or not they're legit (I don't know, obviously) their claim might be on shaky technical ground.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 1, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Steve, what's a typical figure for presold tickets for the average, 16k-drawing DCU league game? What is the normal walkup?

Posted by: the_slammer | September 1, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Roma's coach Spalletti quits. That was quick. Ranieri probably in.

Bojan hurt yesterday...

France, who snuck through on goal differential, advanced in the women's Euro to play the Netherlands.

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I love the marketing campaign, even if it hasn't put us over 20K. I think it's creative, they've really pulled out all the stops, and they're generating buzz and questions even if that doesn't translate to butts in seats. At the very least it's laying groundwork for future events.

Of course, the team also really must win now. MUST.

I also think the walk-up is going to be fairly big, mainly because so many people I've talked to are completely fed up with Ticketmaster. If you buy ahead of time through them, it's $12 + $8 fee + $4 fee for spectator seats. Where's the deal? I wonder how many people heard about the game, were at least somewhat interested, went on Ticketmaster, saw what a rip-off their fees are, and said "forget it."

Posted by: VercengetorixII | September 1, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Danny Califf injured in a bike crash? Bottom of http://yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=5116

Wolves central defender Danny Califf was injured due to a bike crash and Marcus Tracy watched from the bench as Aalborg swung a tight 1-0 home victory over Midtjylland.

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Godfather I disagree about people not knowing about the tourney. The SEs did a pub crawl this past Saturday on U St with the Inter-American Cup in tow and we met people at the 5 bars we stopped at who had either heard about the game or already had tickets to attend (and yes we were at sports bars but not usual SE bars).

Not sure what advertising the team has done in the local Hispanic community (hopefully tons as they are usually the big part of the walk up crowd).

As someone who was thoroughly annoyed with the over-blown marketing for the Real game I really appreciate DCU's efforts to sell this game (wish they could put this much time, energy and money to sell the team all season long).

K

Posted by: goaldigger | September 1, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

VercengetorixII - completely agree about Ticketmaster. No way are sane people willing to pay their fees. And most don't know about calling DCU directly for tickets. I expect a big walk-up crowd. I think the final # will be above 15K, but not sure how much more. My attendance prediction: $1. Oh wait. Wrong game. I say it'll be 16,459.

and, I also agree with the comment about fans bailing out the team by bringing newbies. OK. Maybe it's not a bailout, but the fans are really helping here. I'm fine with the gorilla ad campaign they did, but I fully expected another full-pager/half-pager today with $2 BEER, $2 HOT DOGS, $12 TICKETS in HUGE letters. That's what gets people to the game - not cryptic "we win trophies" (no matter how clever that campaign was).

Posted by: nairbsod | September 1, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

The tackle in link above is sickening. He should be banned for LIFE.

Posted by: UniteforDC | September 1, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I don't have a weak stomach (yet), but that tackle was horrible. His reaction alone (What? Me? and then the smile) warrants a 10-match ban.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 1, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

When filing suit, they are just mentioning that is for that amount in order to have it in Federal Court. They do not have to list exact amount, just that it is worth more than that amount.

Posted by: cneblett3 | September 1, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I think the injury is really sickening. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think there was malicious intent. He was trying to control the ball, and the defender slid in to take it. If this was anything more than an accident, I'd have to agree that a very long suspension is in order -- possibly a ban.

Posted by: fischy | September 1, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I thought DC loaned DiRaimondo to Richmond?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | September 1, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

That's also an absurdly high commission. Hard to believe that DCU ever agreed to anything like that. I'm not even sure why they would need brokers to bring in a big fish company like VW. What is it that the FO does all day? I just read that the Red Bulls hired their first scout this year. I'm guessing DCU is similarly strapped, and the FO spends all their time just trying to find info about internationals who may be available. There needs to be some more professional management -- a division between running the team and recruiting 'talent'. It costs some money to hire people, but it would be less than paying a commission for the VW deal.

Posted by: fischy | September 1, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

If we drawn over 15 K, won't that be about the biggest crowd ever for a U.S. Open Cup championship game? As I recall off the top of my head, Chicago & K.C. only drew around 1 K when they hosted it.

Of course, that only goes to show you that this tournament has never been promoted much at all since MLS was formed and probably wasn't promoted at all in the decades before that.

So much for the American version of the venerable F.A. Cup -- even though the U.S. Open Cup tournament has been around about as long as the F.A. Cup tournament.

Posted by: Stevenho | September 1, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

_________________________________
Ganamos los trofeos :)

Posted by: schmuckatelli | September 1, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I thought DC loaned DiRaimondo to Richmond?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers
--------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing that's a joke about the awful injury. Congrats on being the first to joke about it...

Posted by: fischy | September 1, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Can't see the vid here. Is it worse that Eduardo's injury?

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

One of a billion transfer rumors, though this one could be interesting...

Carlos Vela could be moving from Arsenal to Fulham later today

Posted by: Kev29 | September 1, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Do/did any of the ads have a one-line explanation of what the Open Cup is? And what month it started, who we beat to get here? That wouldn't hurt to attract new folks, I think. Water under bridge now.

And I agree with nairb about the need for large-font notes about the $2 deals . . . when I first read that in a comment here on SI, I thought it was a joke.

I remember in my days in MN how the minor-league baseball St. Paul Saints were very successful in getting the word out that their games were fun! and cheap! and laid back!! People would parrot that sentiment like Pavlovian dogs, or perhaps Pavlovian parrots. Not sure how they did it, but it only took them a couple years.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 1, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I thought the transfer window was closed, except for Norway and the Netherlands?

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2009 10:34 AM

Nope - 90 minutes left in the UK. Think they're still making deals everywhere in Europe as well

Posted by: Kev29 | September 1, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Man, that injury is unbelievable....that looks as bad as it can get. Good luck to the Dude's recovery.

I will be at tomorrow's game with my usual group of 4 (already in ticket count). However, I am getting three more tickets to the game that I'll pick up at will call (not in ticket count). Hopefully there's a bunch more like me.

Can't wait to see D.C. kick some Sounders butt.

Vamos United!!!!

Posted by: Smitty8 | September 1, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@ Reignking: I think it's just as bad if not a bit worse. The leg kind of flops around a bit.

Posted by: addick | September 1, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I liked the advertising efforts, but the uncertainty over whether United plans to field its first team or the sort of B team it has put on the field for CCL games as Soehn keeps trying to balance all three competitions, is sure to suppress attendance.

Posted by: fentysupporter | September 1, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@Fenty - no way Soehn doesn't put the best team out there in a cup final after all the PEEMPING that has been done for this game by the FO.

Posted by: the_slammer | September 1, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Goff, whats the deal with Namoff moving to the Greek league after this season? Is this true? See item number 9 here: http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ro-weekendreview083109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Posted by: jleppig | September 1, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: addick | September 1, 2009 9:04 AM

Who'd a thunk a guy named Axel could break a guy's leg?

I'll take your word for the heinousness (is that a word?) of the tackle, so I'm going to pass on reviewing it. I'm a huge proponent of harsh penalties for guys who do that. Going in hard on a 50-50 ball, when both players are aware of the danger, is one thing. Going in dirty, cleats-up, and blind-siding a guy is simply cowardice.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 1, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fallschurch1
=======================

I was also in MN when the Saints (re-) started (didn't I see you at Stub&Herb's?). Other aspects of the Saints' success were that the Twins were playing like crap when not on strike and that Minnesotans like to spend much of their summer days outdoors, not in a dome.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 1, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: the_slammer | September 1, 2009 11:02 AM

I don't think it's going to be an 'A' or 'B' team, it's going to be whatever 11 players they can assemble. When you consider the foreign and cup tied players.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 1, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jleppig | September 1, 2009 11:04 AM

I think that guy's source is his own a$$

Posted by: Kev29 | September 1, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Re: VercengetorixII

_________________________________________________

I did that exact scenario. Went to the we win trophies website, it took me to ticketmaster which meant I already knew I wasn't go to pre-purchase, but just for fun, I went through the steps. If I wanted to buy one $12 ticket and print it at home, I'd have to pay an additional $8.55 per ticket service charge and $4.55 per order print at home fee. So, $25.10 for a ticket that is advertised for $12. I'm buying walk-up.

Posted by: jamest1 | September 1, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Weather Channel says clear and in the low 70s at kickoff tomorrow night - that can't hurt the turnout.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 1, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

who broke whos leg?

and 75k minus will give it to them, DC waste money anyway. Would have gone to some no name player who gets injured or gets put out becuase of "coach's decision"

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 1, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Saturday's home qualifier against El Salvador and subsequent game against T and T are on ESPN Classic and ESPN360.com . . . nice for ESPN to showcase this must win game on their 4th or 5th channels.

What a bunch of homers. And how can it be on "Classic" if it's live?

Posted by: delantero | September 1, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

""Chris Jones and Lloyd Mair, both of New York City, say they offered to lower their commission rate""

Obviously they are disgruntled Red Bulls fans.

Posted by: delantero | September 1, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I was on the fence for 2010; assuming we qualify. But, that article confirms that there are just too many "ifs" associated with travel there. I think this time a trip to Europe or the Carribean for a week or so is in order; spend the day in a pub or on the beach watching matches with lots of beer.

Posted by: hacksaw | September 1, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"Instant Classic"

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | September 1, 2009 11:24 AM

Well, soccer has come a long way - but they're still not going to bump an Oklahoma football game and NASCAR for us.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 1, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't know Chris Jones, but I do know Amanda Jones:

"On and on she goes
Little Miss Amanda Jones
I said on and on and on and on
Just watch her as she grows
Don't wanna say it very obviously
But she's losing her nobility
Hey Miss Amanda Jones
Miss Amanda Jones..."

"Miss Amanda Jones," The March Violets, circa mid-1980s

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 1, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Eduardo has been given a two-game ban for his nonsense against Celtic.

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Smitty8! Will you and the crew be tailgating for a bit tomorrow? I'll hopefully have a handful of friends in tow, but I will be looking for familiar faces in Lot 8 for the prefunk!

Posted by: DadRyan | September 1, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

(didn't I see you at Stub&Herb's?)

No . . . I never even made it to a Saints game. But I heard they were fun! and cheap!! and laid back!!

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 1, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Standard Liege midfielder Axel Witsel has been banned until November 23 for the tackle which broke Anderlecht defender Marcin Wasilewski's leg.

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Continueing on with international disciplinary matters. Axel Witsel (Standard Liege player sent off, see Addick's link at (9:04) got an 11-match ban:

I think it's appropriate. He had to know he could cause a serious injury by keeping his leg out with studs exposed but Wasilewski slid in hard to clear the ball - Witsel had a chance to at least pull his leg in but didn't do it.

I watched these teams play on a computer feed last season when Gooch was manning the defense for Standard. They plain don't like each other - remember Gooch v Van Damme and the racist insult allegations. Normally Wasilewski is one of the dirtier players and Witsel one of the more creative attackers but apparently they can reverse the roles.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 1, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Does Seattle have a problem with the five foreign player limit?

I think Nyassi, Ljungberg, Montero, Gonzalez, Hurtado, Alonso, LeToux are all foreign citizens. LeToux came to the USL in 2007, so probably not a green card yet

I assume Zakuani has a green card having played for Akron in college

Posted by: fentysupporter | September 1, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Winner!

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrows Lineup:

--------------Wicks--------------
Namoff--Janicki---Jakovic---Burch
Fred-----Simms-----Gomez--Wallace
---------Moreno---Pontius--------

Subs: Kocic, Olsen, Emilio, McTavish, Quaranta, Habarugira, Szetela (I think he's finally working his way out of the doghouse, and if we want to trade him in the offseason, he needs to play to have value. I'd like to keep him, but it seems like the FO doesn't)

Posted by: alecw81 | September 1, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Just kidding, you know it'll be this:

-------------Kocic-------------
Habarugira----Jakovic-----Burch
---------Simms----Olsen--------
Quaranta-------------------Fred
-------------Moreno------------
---------Pontius--Emilio-------

Posted by: alecw81 | September 1, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

@fentysupporter: Hurtado is out of the match for a his red card in the last match. I actually don't think LeToux is considered an SI. At least MLS doesn't consider him one, same story for Alonso. Go figure.

As far as I can tell they won't need to exclude anyone.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 1, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

You may not want to watch if you have a weak stomach.

Posted by: mokreine | September 2, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse