Tuesday Kickaround

*Defender Jay DeMerit has not fully recovered from a groin injury and did not join the USA squad in Trinidad and Tobago for Wednesday night's qualifier (7 p.m. ESPN Classic, Galavision). Forward Conor Casey, who didn't train with the team all last week after a tooth operation, was also scratched, leaving Bob Bradley with 22 players (18 will be in uniform) for the critical match against the Soca Warriors.

*For Washington area futbol fans, you might want to activate your split-screen device on the television machine again tomorrow night. For the second time in five days, a USA qualifier and a D.C. United league game (vs. Kansas City, 7:30, Comcast SportsNet) will be shown at the same time. Don't blame MLS: DCU rescheduled this match to accommodate the Real Madrid friendly a month ago.

*The European Women's Championship has reached the title game Thursday in Helsinki with four-time defending champion Germany facing England, a program that continues its international rise. England's Eniola Aluko (St. Louis Athletica) is tied for second in goals with three.

*Local men's college roundup: Maryland and Georgetown rebounded from opening-day losses to UCLA and Cal, respectively with Sunday victories over Cal and UCLA, respectively. Jason Herrick's overtime strike, his second of the match, lifted the Terps over the Bears, 2-1. Maryland drew 10,400 spectators for the two games. The Hoyas surprised the Bruins, 2-0, for their biggest victory in Coach Brian Wiese's four-season tenure. ... Virginia is off to a 2-0-0 start after winning the Portland Invitational with a 3-0 victory over the host Pilots and a 2-1 triumph over Washington on an overtime goal by Neil Barlow, younger brother of former DCU prospect Jeremy Barlow. ... American won the D.C. College Cup for the fifth time in nine years with a 2-1 victory over George Mason. ... In this week's Soccer America rankings, Maryland is No. 10, Virginia 21st and AU 23rd.

By Steve Goff  |  September 8, 2009; 8:58 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , College Soccer , D.C. United , MLS , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Playoff Race
Next: Burch Sidelined

Comments

Good, another excuse to hate Real Madrid.

Posted by: Reignking | September 8, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

The bigger problem is that I don't have ESPN Classic. Not sure how I'm gonna swing this one. Perhaps Union Jack's in Ballston again.

Probably be able to get them to play the DCU game at the same time. Comcast sportsnet will be showing replays of the DCU/KC match at 12pm and 7pm on Thursday.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 8, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

ESPN360 on the computer, COMCAST on the TV could be an option...

Posted by: hoyanick1 | September 8, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

US on TV...and I don't really care to watch DCU. It isn't fun.

Posted by: Reignking | September 8, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Wow, last time I checked I couldn't get ESPN360 in my area. It would appear it's now working. When did that change?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 8, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Ahhhh Fall, the time of year when I give up on all of the activities I began back in February and fill up my TiVo with sitcoms, dramas, MLS, EPL, Champions League, Qualifiers, College Football...

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 8, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

i've watched more Telefutura this summer than any of the 4 major american broadcasters.... its only going to get worse when they are showing the u20 world cup (the EGIPTE adverts they're running are CRAZY)

Posted by: crocken | September 8, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan,

If you have Comcast, then they signed up to ESPN360 a few weeks ago.

Posted by: ashleybone | September 8, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

A few more providers decided to give in to espn, DadRyan. That includes Comcast.

Posted by: sitruc | September 8, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

The German women have won the last 4 Euros and 6 of the last 7. They scored 10 goals and conceded 1 on the way to the finals. They have never lost to England.

"The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet." Damon Runyon.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 8, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

How about some love for the Terps women. 5-0 and ranked for the first time in a few years...

Posted by: teo_68 | September 8, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

The German women have won the last 4 Euros and 6 of the last 7
Posted by: OWNTF | September 8, 2009 10:15 AM |
-------

Now that's domination. I guess the Scandinavian powerhouses of Sweden and especially Norway have slipped dramatically in the past decade. Or maybe, the rest of the world is catching up.

Posted by: diego_r | September 8, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

That's pretty cool news about 360 in my book. Thanks for confirming the obvious.

I'll also remind folks here that Comcast Sportsnet will again be playing live Champion's League matches starting next week. Unfortunately it'll only be on Tuesdays for now, with replays being shown on Wednesday of games played on Tuesday.
Better than nothing I suppose.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 8, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan,

If you have Comcast, then they signed up to ESPN360 a few weeks ago.

Posted by: ashleybone

Wow, I had no idea. Huge.

Posted by: Reignking | September 8, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

As was the case on Saturday - US vs. DCU...country trumps club every day of the week and 7 times on Sundays.

We need the full 3 points tomorrow. If we can nick a tie at Honduras then we may be sitting pretty. It seems we have Castillo in October, here's hoping we get Jones in by then. We need points in these last few games. NO ONE wants anywhere near that 4 spot because it's starting to look like it could be a blood letting in Argentina.

I hope BB attacks TNT and does not play that road shy crap.

USA! USA!

Posted by: Kosh2 | September 8, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

anyone know if time warner carries espn360 now?

Posted by: joe_hill | September 8, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I've had Comcast since before the flood, and have been able to access ESPN360 ever since.

Over-under on Wednesday's RFK attendance? I still haven't decided whether to go to that game or not...

Posted by: Juan-John | September 8, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Goffino - speaking of the same game time for the USA & DCU...how come Sunday's print version of the Post had a nice, big article about the USA-El Salvador match but no mention of United's tie at Dallas? The standings/box score had a simple notation - late. The games ended at the same time! What time is the sports section getting put to bed these days? 9:30 pm? Things are really falling off over there.

Posted by: soccerman | September 8, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

@ Juan-John - I called the over/under at Dallas as 9K - they had 10,219. For Wed at RFK, I'm saying 11K. Forecast for rain won't help the walk-up gate.

Posted by: soccerman | September 8, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

D.C. United game story was in the later editions and online.

True, the matches started at the same time. But with so much college football, U.S. Open and the USA qualifier coming in on deadline and only so many editors to handle all the copy, DCU had to take a back seat this time.

Posted by: Steve Goff | September 8, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

D.C. United game story was in the later editions and online.

Posted by: Steve Goff | September 8, 2009 11:24 AM |

I should have seen it either Sunday or Monday. It was in neither paper. Post Fail.

Also, the New England game was over before the DC game, and it got a "late". You would think that someone would have updated all six of the "late" soccer games in Monday's paper. They didn't. I'm dropping my subscription because, quite frankly, this is the last straw. Playing musical box scores with baseball is one thing. Not getting it right time and time again with soccer, fahgeddaboudit.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | September 8, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Good, another excuse to hate Real Madrid.
Posted by: Reignking
====================

Why hate RM? I was just telling some people how they're very similar to DC.

-Plays in it's nation's capital (let's start with an easy one)
-Has players with Spanish names (another easy one).
-Has fans with Spanish names (Oh hush. You knew it was coming).
-Paid too much for its star Brazilian.
-Has an iconic, aging player who plays well just when you think he should retire.
-Has fans who demand that the coach be fired with each loss or draw.
-Has fans who demand that the owner and general manager be replaced after each trophy-less season.
-Has fans who hate David Beckham.
-Played a home game at FedEx Field on August 9, 2009.
-Boasts of winning the domestic league and the region's Champions League/Cup, although neither has accomplished those feats recently.

They added:
-Read Madrid has a player named Kaka. DCU plays like Kaka (BaRRD)
-"wins trophies" . . . or not (OWNTF)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 8, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Virginia sophomore Tony Tchani (Norfolk, Va.) has been named to Soccer America's Men's Team of the Week, the publication announced on Tuesday (Sept. 8). Tchani led Virginia to a 2-0 weekend at the Portland Nike Invitational, and was named the offensive most valuable player of the tournament.

Daniel Shannon (American) named too, and no one from Maryland.

Why hate RM? Because I've lived in Madrid, and had to watch them collect players and stash them on the bench for no reason (Michael Owen). They are the Yankees of soccer. And the city of Madrid wasn't that great, either, compared to Barcelona or the rest of the country. Well, Almeria is worse, but that's not saying much.

Posted by: Reignking | September 8, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Well said jayrockers...I'm giving 'em 'til Thursday morning. If DCU gets the same treatment with a homegame then it'll be the Sayonara boys for the Post.
Goff - where will you be sitting Wed night?

Posted by: soccerman | September 8, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"If you have Comcast, then they signed up to ESPN360 a few weeks ago."

Whoa! This is great news for me. Not good news for my wife and child, however. Hmmmmm... maybe not good news for my marriage, now that I think about it... actually this might be bad news for me in the end. Until then, I think I'll just see what's on.

Posted by: WorldCup | September 8, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I wanted to record both DCU and US....and then I saw the propganda speech from the Dear Leader comes on at 8pm and I know the wife wants to watch that also. So, I searched more showings of the DCU game and it comes on repeatedly thru the next couple of days.
Since I work till 10 or so, I can't watch either live. And I will only have time to watch one game.
And speaking of the Dear Leader (sorry) I was slammed for bringing up the Lockerbie action and wanted to reply.....
we all knew the fingerprints would be found and here it is.....

British officials now say President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton were kept informed at all stages of discussions concerning the release of the Lockerbie bomber, Abdel Baset al-Megrahi, the London Daily Mail reports.
The newspaper quoted an anonymous "senior Whitehall aide" as calling the reaction of Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton "disingenuous."
The British officials say the Americans spoke out because they were taken aback by the row over al-Megrahis release, not because they did not know it was about to happen to the only person convicted in the bombing of a Pan Am flight that killed 270, including 189 Americans.
"The U.S. was kept fully in touch about everything that was going on with regard to Britains discussions with Libya in recent years and about Megrahi," the Whitehall aide said.
"We would never do anything about Lockerbie without discussing it with the U.S. It is disingenuous of them to act as though Megrahis return was out of the blue. They knew about our prisoner transfer agreement with Libya and they knew that the Scots were considering Megrahis case."

Posted by: marksman37 | September 8, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | September 8, 2009 11:15 AM

45??? I mean 4500, I think.....there are more family members than 45 at most games....

Posted by: fischy | September 8, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse