Tuesday Kickaround

*Mexico drops out of the running to host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup.

*Columbus is poised to become the first MLS club to advance to the 2009-10 CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals tonight when the second-place Crew hosts third-place Saprissa (8 p.m., Fox Soccer Channel, Galavision).

*Without star striker Taylor Twellman for months, the New England Revolution will have to make its playoff push minus midfielder Steve Ralston, who was diagnosed with a torn ACL.

*Meantime, D.C. United moves forward without starting goalkeeper Josh Wicks.

*Following a 3-0 loss to Germany, the USA faces Cameroon today (12:45 p.m., ESPN2, Galavision) at the Under-20 World Cup in Egypt. Don't be surprised to see former DCU prospect Bryan Arguez inserted into midfield along with Rutgers' Dilly Duka.

*The USL-1 semifinals are 75 percent foreign (sort of): Portland vs. Vancouver and Montreal vs. Puerto Rico.

*Americans abroad
Yesterday
D Jonathan Spector in 18, didn't play in West Ham's 3-1 loss to Manchester City
MF Benny Feilhaber 90 in Aarhus' 3-2 loss at Esbjerg
MF Jeremiah White 8 in Aarhus' 3-2 loss at Esbjerg
MF Alejandro Bedoya 36 in Orebro's 3-0 loss at GAIS
Today
MF DaMarcus Beasley and Rangers vs. Sevilla
D Frank Simek and Sheffield Wednesday at Crystal Palace
F Mike Grella and Leeds vs. Carlisle
MF Jemal Johnson and MK Dons at Oldham
MF Jose Francisco Torres and Pachuca at Metapan

*A nice local college matchup tonight as third-ranked Maryland visits George Mason. Details here. In the Soccer America men's rankings, Georgetown enters at No. 13 and unbeaten UMBC at No. 25: 1. Akron (7-0-0); 2. UCLA (5-1-0); 3. Maryland (5-1-1); 4. Wake Forest (5-1-1); 5. North Carolina (5-1-1); 6. California (6-2-0); 7. South Florida (6-1-1); 8. Harvard (6-1-0); 9. Monmouth (7-0-0); 10. Indiana (4-2-1); 11. Ohio State (5-0-3); 12. UC Santa Barbara (6-2-1); 13. Georgetown (6-2-1); 14. Boston College (5-3-0); 15. Duke (5-2-0); 16. Virginia (5-2-0); 17. Stanford (7-1-0); 18. Portland (5-1-1); 19. Boston U. (6-2-1); 20. Louisville (5-1-2); 21. Northwestern (4-1-3); 22. Connecticut (4-2-2); 23. Kentucky (7-1-0); 24. Butler (6-1-0); 25. UMBC (9-0-0); 25. (tie) Old Dominion (6-1-0); (tie) Brown (4-0-3).

For the extensive TV offerings today.....

*Soccer on TV:
U-20 World Cup, USA-Cameroon 12:30 p.m. ESPN2, Galavision
Euro Champions League, Arsenal-Olympiacos 2:30 p.m. Comcast SportsNet
Euro Champions League, Rangers-Sevilla 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Euro Champions League, Barcelona-Dynamo Kiev 2:30 Fox Sports Espanol (4:45 Setanta)
Euro Champions League, Fiorentina-Liverpool 2:30 Setanta (5 p.m. FSC)
CONCACAF Champions League, Columbus-Saprissa 8 p.m. FSC
CONCACAF Champions League, Cruz Azul-Puerto Rico 8 p.m. Galavision
CONCACAF Champions League, Metapan-Pachuca 10 p.m. Galavision

By Steve Goff  |  September 29, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , College Soccer , D.C. United , FIFA , MLS , Mexico , U-20 World Cup , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wicks Out 4-6 Weeks
Next: D.C. United News & Notes

Comments

Ok, I know it's "coming in 2010" with regards to FSC in HD. However, I've been thinking. ESPNU is supposed to be in HD, but on Comcast's "Comcastic" Cable Network, I'm not sure channels in the 700's (the Sports Tier) can be in HD.

Has anyone bothered to call FSC and ask them about HD plans as well as what their plans are to get Cable systems across the country to upgrade them to an HD channel in 2010 are?

I realize that Americans are SPOILED beyond belief in the amount of games we can watch here, but the handful of matches that come in HD make the experience EVEN better.

Hoping to see Bill Hamid in between the pipes tomorrow!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 29, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

hmm so without Mexico that leaves...

US
England
Holland & Belgium
Australia
Indonesia
Japan
Korea
Qatar
Russia
Spain & Portugal

I would bet on 2018 England and 2022 US or Australia. How are Qatar and Indonesia still on the list? I don't think either one has a single world cup venue.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 29, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Time to set the fantasy CL lineups...as if I knew who was even going to play.

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I've realized I'll watch any soccer game in HD. It's nice to be able to see the players' names, for one...

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Bummer for Ralston. I wonder if it really will end up a career ending injury. I wish him a speedy recovery if possible.

I'll enjoy a little Champion's League this afternoon if I can, but I'll be on the plane to Honolulu tomorrow during UEFA Champs League as well as DCU's match...
What are the chances that they'll have FSC on the plane?
I remember catching some UEFA CL on a plane last year....

My biggest Questions are about the upcoming WCQ to be played in Honduras... Any news on that front?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 29, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

anybody know if the Arsenal game is going to be on Time Warner Cable in NYC?

Posted by: joe_hill | September 29, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Qatar is on the list because they have boatloads of money. I am sure Ol' Sepp would love to get his hands on as much of that money as he can. And the WC has never been staged in that part of the world. It's a tiny country so getting around should be easy enough. I would guess they have at least one big stadium that is WC quality and they could easily build more in plenty of time.

Indonesia is on the list because it is a big country with a huge population. SE Asia loves football....at least European football anyway. One big problem for them may be security issues although they have gotten much better at tracking down terrorists lately. But after the South Africa struggles I am not sure sending the World Cup to another country with so many desperately poor people is going to work. The amount of money they would have to spend on venues and so forth would be much better spent on helping their people.

Posted by: fedssocr | September 29, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Indonesia, huge country of Eurosnobs.

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

anybody know if the Arsenal game is going to be on Time Warner Cable in NYC?

Posted by: joe_hill | September 29, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Yes, MSG Network

Posted by: Kev29 | September 29, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 29, 2009 9:10 AM

FSC "can" be picked up in HD by Comcast. We'll see if that happens. Premium/Digital package channel could be shown in HD in the 200's (like HBO, NFL Network, etc - you get the HD 200 channel with subscription). But Comcast needs to agree to a separate deal to add the channel in HD. Will Fox be able to pull that off? I hope so. MLB and Big Ten Networks have struggled getting their HD channels on Comcast.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 29, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

sweet, thanks Kev29!

Posted by: joe_hill | September 29, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I just got the MLB and Big10 HD stations (yawn). And NFL Redzone (nonHD) because I have the $5 sports tier for GOlTV on Comcast.

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I have NFL Red Zone in HD. Not going to lie, it's pretty cool. NFL and Comcast have been fighting for years over what is going to be shown where and for how much.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 29, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

@Kev29,

MLB and Big Ten Networks have struggled getting their HD channels on Comcast.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 29, 2009 11:13 AM

Hence why I root EVERY day for REAL options to break up the cable monopolies that don't involve the dish.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 29, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 29, 2009 11:29 AM

I bet DirecTV, Dish and FIOS will have FSC HD from the get go.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 29, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

A FIFA World Cup in Qatar would have to be the first all-indoor tournament, right?

Posted by: mason08 | September 29, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I think Qatar had some crazy underground stadium idea, too.

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Portland? Sounds 100% foreign to me.

Posted by: JoeS3 | September 29, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Off topic, but there is an interesting story in the Wall St. Journal today on financing stadiums, basically treating and selling seats like a condiminum with a 20-30-40 year mortgage.Tottingham is doing this because public financing is not avialable. Given United's poor record, this might not be the best ime to try and sell this approach, but it may be the only viable way to find money to build a stadium in future.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | September 29, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Tottingham

Posted by: Ruthie1 | September 29, 2009 12:26 PM

:-D Ossie Ardiles, is that you??

Thanks for the article heads up, it's a good read - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471504574441213411789746.html

Posted by: Kev29 | September 29, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I just wondered...will the US bid for the Olympics in 2016 (Chicago) have an effect on our WC 2018/2022 efforts? My guess is if we were to get the Olympics there's no way we'd get a World Cup 2 years later.

Posted by: soccerman | September 29, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

soccerman: I don't think that the Olympics will matter that much, but I also don't think we're going to get 2018. However, check out this coincidence...

London 2012
England 2018

Chicago 2016
US 2022

FIFA and the IOC might have relations, but they're not so intertwined that they'd get in the way of affecting a money friendly host decision. There have been close Summer Games/WC decisions in the past - Munich 72/West Germany 74 comes to mind.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 29, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, there's no details there and no way for us to know for a fact why Mexico dropped out. However, it might indicate they've counted heads and learned that the USA is likely to tabbed to host one or the other Cup finals. At the very least, it suggests that FIFA has made it clear that the USA bid was the leading CONCACAF contender.

Posted by: fischy | September 29, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

England 2018
USA 2022
Australia 2026

Too biased toward anglophones? Perhaps. But those are also three safe choices. China will have something to say about that though.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 29, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse