United Rewind

What to make of Josh Wicks.....

The guy was superb for 67 minutes. If player ratings were to be submitted at that point, he might've received an "8" or "9". But then he appeared to step/stomp/hop/skip/bounce on Fredy Montero when he had no reason to be anywhere near the Seattle player. Did he make contact? It shouldn't matter. He put himself in position to get sent off. Wicks then had another meltdown when the red card was shown. So that's twice in five days -- he blew up at teammate Marc Burch during the game in Chicago on Saturday -- that his emotions got the best of him.

At this rate, we might see Bill Hamid sooner than you think. (Kidding. Sort of.)

Okay, folks, I need your help: What rating does Wicks deserve? For the saves, for keeping United in the match in the first half, he should receive high marks. But the red card was devastating to the club's comeback hopes and, frankly, was an infantile act.

Wicks ??, Namoff 5, Jakovic 4.5, Burch 5; Pontius 6, Simms 5.5, Olsen 5, Gomez 4, Fred 3, Moreno 4, Emilio 4. Subs: Quaranta 7, Kocic 5, Wallace 5.

Read my match report with quotes.

Some final thoughts: Third-largest crowd (17,329) for an Open Cup final in the MLS era. Great atmosphere. Cool to see so many Seattle fans, including investor Drew Carey, travel cross-country for a midweek game. DCU supporters were loud and passionate. The field looked awful -- was there a monster truck show at RFK last weekend?

By Steve Goff  |  September 3, 2009; 12:58 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hamid's Signing With DCU
Next: Thursday Kickaround

Comments

Jakovic played far better than your rating indicates. He had a great many interceptions and blocks. Wicks gets two grades 9 for the first half, 0 for the second.

Posted by: decoi | September 3, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Wicks 6. (9 for the first 67 minutes, 1.5 for his brain cramp on Montero).

Posted by: Juan-John | September 3, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Tough to do the grading. I say 6.5 for Wicks. If you can give Simms a 5.5 for his goal, despite being left behind on both goals, then Wicks should still get a decent mark for a brilliant 60+.

Thanks for mentioning the field condition. I was wondering about that because I thought it looked awful, too. I sat low down on the "quiet side" -- I was thinking it was just a different perspective, but I see you noticed the same thing.

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

I think the field is still suffering from when they played in the rain against LA. Seems to me that that game tore the field up quite a bit.

Posted by: hokieunited | September 3, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Wicks: If he was an 8 or 9 at 67', I say give him a 6. He made one mistake. There was also one botched clearance, which at least was played to safety.

Jakovic should get a bump - he made some very slick plays and had little help. But he did wear down at the end. Heavy minutes lately and Seattle's speedy attack.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 3, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Though Jakovic was involved in both goals, but it seemed like he was everywhere making plays for most of the night. I'm excited to see what he (and Namoff) can do if he ever gets decent players to stand to his left.

Wicks deserves at least a 6. poor sounders shots or not, he made 4 or 5 point blank saves before his lapse of judgement.

and I wish I could respect Montero more than I do (because he is a sharp young player), but feigning/simulating injury to aid in getting an opponent sent off is not gamesmanship, its cheating. When a 200 lb man stomps on your hand, your chest and leg should not be what needs medical attention

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 1:21 AM | Report abuse

The teamed played very well for some time. Not on either goal.
Wicks is an idiot this week. Over the weekend, we could accept it for some in team intensity. This was uncalled for.

I really need to go to bed. I also need to stop wasting so much time on such a mediocre team. These guys aren't even that. Losing to the Scroungers at home like this, while the stadium still couldn't get the job done was a HUGE EMBARRASSMENT.

I did what I could. That extra 10 people I thought I hauled in, ended up being 13. Way to make me look like a jack ARSE along with the club gang. I'm sure it'll be super easy to bring folks back after that mess.

Oh what's that? US/Costa Rica tix start at $35? Good luck USSF.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 3, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Wicks 0. Good luck regaining your teammates' confidence.

Posted by: gasdorian | September 3, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

I used to use Marcus Vick as a "why I'm against Virginia Tech" response, but now someone from my own team has done exactly the same thing. Embarassing.

Posted by: UVAtoRFK | September 3, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

UVA, I was just watching the Broncos preseason game, and Elivs Dummervill (the guy Marcus stomped in the Gator Bowl) flashed up on the screen. and I had to laugh a little bit. now I'm sad again. ha.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Very forgiving group. For me it's about maintaining your concentration - especially in such a massive and critical match. I said this about Burch when Wicks went at him last week, and I will say the same for Wicks. He's a pro and is expected to perform at the highest level for 90+. Hear that? 90+.

So they scored one on you (one which I say was his fault, but to be fair it was a tough shot) - you get up and get on with it. You keep your team in the game. Instead he stomps on Montero's hand. Wicks even looks at him while he's doing it, doesn't even try to hide the fact that he intends to do a stupid, filthy, low-down, rotten act. Then he goes all "Hulk Smash" when he is rightfully tossed.

In any other part of the world, he sits out the rest of the season and is gone at season's end. There is no place in the game for that nonesense. He was doing well, one might even argue that he was winning his team a title, but in one unbelievable act of...I dunno what to call it, he cost us a title.

As for the stomp and futher demonstration of petulance he's got some USOC timeout coming his way.

Posted by: Kosh2 | September 3, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Would we be even having this discussion about Wicks if Montero didn't roll on the ground as if he'd been shot?

I think not.

Posted by: GoUnited | September 3, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

I once had my arm stomped on intentionally while lying on the ground during a game. Searing pain and severe discoloration. Wicks needs to be dropped from the team. Period.

Posted by: Pedalada | September 3, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Kosh-

There was no stomp that the CR, who was in the proper position, saw. Wicks must have hid it very well.

It was still dumb.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Those of you thinking Montero embelished on the stomp really need to take another look... He brings his hand up to his chest and grabs the stomped hand with his other hand... no rolling, no leg grabbing... take off your dark shades - Wicks is a disgrace.

Posted by: GoSounders11 | September 3, 2009 1:36 AM | Report abuse

I'd have to give Wicks a 10 out of 10. He represented DC the way it should be represented. Don't worry about morals, and gamesmanship, just try to beat the hell out of anyone that gets in your way. The pimps in D.C. would be proud of him. Keep him in goal. I'm sure the other teams in the league will benefit from it. Probably the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. What a surprise it came from Wicks!

HA, HA, HA, told you we'd win. Everyone thank Wicks for gift wrapping it for us.

How about next time you give him some heroin, crack, meth, and a gun back there in goal?

Wicks.......what a joke.........keep playing him. He's the next Favre!

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | September 3, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Give him a 5. Neutral.

Monster trucks at RFK, why was I not informed of this...?

did MiMi bring her purple and green dress as well?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 3, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

The result was well deserved for Seattle. Here's a team without two of their starters coming into a very intimidating environment. If it wasn't for Wicks they would've been up by at least 2 at halftime. Seattle has had everything going for them this season, and frankly, D.C. has had very little to brag about. So congrats to Seattle.

This game has been the story of D.C. United over the last 2 years. Inconsistency. I think Olsen? said a couple weeks back, there's always about 3-4 players who don't bring it to the games. I agree with that notion and unfortunately it seems to be the same players. Generally speaking, Fred and Emilio have played simply awful for the last few months. Burch has also been a loose end. Add one more player and there you go. 3-4 players that bring the team down.
Can this be emphasized enough?

**FRED AND EMILIO NEED TO BE ON THE BENCH**

I shed a couple tears after the game because it's hard to see a team you love so much play so shamefully. Yes, shameful. Not even United's winning history could win this trophy for them.
In Goff's voting poll, I actually had United losing the Open Cup final, losing the CCL, but making the playoffs. Yes, I think they will make the playoffs and even make a run because this team has too much heart for it to lose like this, even with 3-4 players that bring it down.The players and coaches are clearly frustrated and to me this stems from the coach. Soehn has had plenty of time and chances to make a respectable team. However, he can't even produce a consistent team. I think this game seals the deal for Soehn.

@Dadryan-

I feel your pain. The hotdog lines were too long. I didn't bother.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 3, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

When will the coach and the team learn that long balls to Emilio don't work. Emilio should have paid for a ticket tonight, he was just an observer. He can not holod the ball and he makes more passes to the other team than his own. Why was Gomez taken out? I miss the old United.

Posted by: mpd1 | September 3, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

The shot I would love to see on the stomp is the high end camera behind DCU's goal. From the replays, it seemed to be focused right on Montero after the goal, and it would have a pretty clear angle of where, exactly, Wickes landed. Unless that gets put out, our guesses are as good as the 4O's.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 1:43 AM | Report abuse

They ended up running out of hot dogs so it didn't matter anyway!!

Posted by: BurchFan4 | September 3, 2009 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Wicks shouldn't have even been in the area, especially with his legs up, and coming down near Montero. He's truly an idiot of the first degree. He might be a great athlete, but I'm guessing his I.Q. hovers around 50.

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | September 3, 2009 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Management who believes that fielding a team with Gomez, Moreno, and Olson all on the field at the same time, is management that has no clue about the speed and talent in this league. Mind you, any one of those three would make any one team - and perhaps all three can be in the starting eleven of three different teams. But come on. The best game we played was against Chicago, and that's because Soehn coached correctly and told Gomez and Moreno they each would get one half to skipper the team and leave it on the field. That gave a slot for speed. Why oh why did we not start this game the same way? I thought for sure we wouldn't mess with success!

Posted by: dsheon1 | September 3, 2009 1:46 AM | Report abuse

@redskinsux Fred and Emilio don't need to be on the bench, they need to leave. They are both paid far too much money for their output. I'm sure he is a great player, but Fred doesn't fit on the field with this group, and he hasn't in 3 seasons. Emilio is especially frustrating because you see him pour his heart in some games (ie the Marathon match), and then watch him loaf in other ones like tonight. and if Burch must be on the field, Id rather see him as the left mid than left back.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Eh, stupid isn't against the LOTG.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse

mason08 - I think FSC had the shot you were talking about (high, behind the goal), but the net made it hard to see...now if it were in HiDef...

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse

@mpd1 I agree about Emilio. For long stretches, he was our most ineffective player, and he's making $600,000 a year! He seems to lack speed and doesn't do well on 50/50 headers that players like Pontius can win. Being at the game enabled me to see it more clearly, I think, than watching on TV.

I think we need to dump Emilio and Fred at season's end...not good enough on a consistent basis for their salaries.

The atmosphere at the stadium the final 10 minutes was great!

Congrats to the Sounders and their fans. A good addition to MLS.

Posted by: billindmd | September 3, 2009 1:51 AM | Report abuse

VTUnited-
Agreed, but for the rest of this year they need to be subs. Next year, I say offer them $75K each with the distinct title of 'substitute'. If they want to play for this team they gotta come on as subs and prove themselves as a sub. I think a limited role might help United.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 3, 2009 1:51 AM | Report abuse

It must not have made it into the online highlight package, because it cut away just before Wicks takes "The Leap".

FSC in HD? I'll believe it when I'll see it.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

FSC brushed off United at the end of the game. pisst me off.

gave 5 minutes of pure recognition and credit to Seattle. And 2 seconds worth of credit to DC for creating a cup final atmosphere and providing a pitch.

THATS IT?!?!?!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 3, 2009 1:54 AM | Report abuse

1. Wicks deserves a "2". Yeah, he made some outstanding plays. But his dumb play against Montero and then yelling with the ref basically turned the game. They could have been incredibly deflating to the team (to DCU's credit, the team battled back). Wicks does a lot of things right. But this play (stomping on Montero) and then losing his cool afterwards are unacceptable. DCU really needs to do something (suspend him for at least a game or two) b/c MLS can't act in a USSF match. And at a time we're in CL play and need to pickup points, we potentially lose our #1 GK. Or we don't suspend him and send what kind of message? I hate it, just absolutely hate it when we not only don't exemplify high standards, but we tolerate lower standards. This isn't about showing passion and fight on the field, it's about Toni Schumacher punching a player in the run of play, it's about Sanchez trying to take out Eddie Johnson's knee after Donovan's score--just totally classless acts with the potential for serious injury outside of the run of play. There is a difference between playing hard and being an out of control punk on a play.

2. Jakovic deserved a better rating Goff. Seattle has speed, we don't, our backline should have been exposed. Jakovic is really the only speed resource we have on our backline most games.

3. This match boiled down (from a player evaluation standpoint) down to a couple of things:
--Wicks put his/our team behind a HUGE boulder. Effectively he took Gomez off the field (at a time when we needed more offense).
--Our guys who should step up offensively (especially Moreno, Fred and Gomez) were completely ineffective against a team minus a bunch of important defenders.
That's why DCU lost. And that should be reflected in the rankings.

Posted by: JoeW1 | September 3, 2009 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Wicks.......what a joke.........keep playing him. He's the next Favre!

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | September 3, 2009 1:38 AM

-----------------------------------------------------

"AlbinoSounder", eh? Well-chosen moniker, as you have posted one of the most racist comments this blog has ever seen. Congrats to you. Is there a trophy we can award you for your great work? Please provide us with a home address, so I know where to leave the flaming bag of "crab".

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 1:57 AM | Report abuse

i caught the replay of the match about an hour ago, and they threw that shot in when they were trying to decipher what happened, while MOntero rolled around on the ground. like i said, it wasn't any more definitive than the others, which is probably why it wasn't in the highlight package.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I missed the game. But if what I read here is true, Wicks deserves a 0 or 1. Keeping the team in the game with great saves for 67 minutes doesn't count a bit if you bury your team with a moment of blinding stupidity and poor sportsmanship. Get the man into anger management counseling. And get a new keeper. Inexcusable.

Posted by: danboleo | September 3, 2009 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Gomez should have stayed. In a tie breaker of creative playmakers, speed is the factor. Gomez is at least one step ahead of Moreno in speed. Moreno can create but cannot keep up.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 3, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't Marcus stepped on in that game too?

When I saw the field tonight, I was trying to remember the last rain. What's going on with the groundscrew this year? How did they put markings down for that bowl game?

Posted by: sitruc | September 3, 2009 2:01 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Fischy on the comment.

Seattle doesnt know what lies beyond MLS. They will get smacked around by the rest of Concacaf.

It will make Garber cry, again.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 3, 2009 2:02 AM | Report abuse

He's the next Favre!

===

Does anyone know what this means? I'm afraid I've missed the message entirely.

Wicks is going to retire and unretire repeatedly?
Wicks will punt a ball to himself?
Wicks will pitch Wrangler jeans?

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 2:04 AM | Report abuse

I thought that guys comments were a bit over the PC line as well, especially for this blog ("pimps in DC"?). guess thats why we have the ol' abuse button.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 2:06 AM | Report abuse

"I think this game seals the deal for Soehn."

I retract this statement.

I HOPE this game seals the deal for Soehn.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 3, 2009 2:06 AM | Report abuse

fischy..........Please explain to me how comparing Wicks with Favre is racist? Is it because they are both past their primes and wear uniforms? Way to try and make something out of nothing.............

Wicks screwed up.......just like Favre, who should have retired years ago. The Vikings are better off without him, and would be better served by Tarvaris Jackson. Favre is old and stupid, yet Minnesota will ruin their entire year by depending on Favre. 10 interceptions, and 3 td's before he is pulled. It's stupitidy, and that's what Wicks did too.

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | September 3, 2009 2:07 AM | Report abuse

mason08, its a guy for seattle trying to make an american football analogy. what do you expect?

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Wicks was totally at fault for violent conduct.

I was sitting in Sect 333 and even from there could see it clearly...almost is slow motion. Montero is one the ground. Wicks runs back to goal as if to dig the ball of the net. He looks down at Montero, takes a skip/hop, and stomps his feet onto/around Montero.

I just watched the re-air of the match on FSC. The side angle shows Wicks stare at Montero, then almost - how to describe it - skim across Montero's legs. He watches Montero the entire time, then does not bat an eye to apologize. If you try to avoid a player, you tend to jump higher than four inches, right? It looked as bad as it was.

Wicks, for all his critical saves, has cost us this game. He nearly cost us the game last week in Chicago...he was so consumed with screaming at Burch that he forgot about Chicago's taking a corner. He nearly let them score because he was focused on his anger and blind to the consequences. Even after, he made the save, then was still so angry, he just turned and literally threw the ball out of bounds so that he could continue to go after Burch. NEARLY LET THEM SCORE! GAVE AWAY POSSESSION!

He cannot be trusted. Perhaps the pressure has gotten to him. Then again, perhaps DC cannot locate or build mentally strong keepers...Crayton off 'exploring' outside the 18, Zach Wells off and on and then retiring...what gives?

My guess is Wells, at minimum, will get a 'lesson' and be benched for the next match. However, if the federation is worth its salt, they will ban him for at leat two matches. He deserves it.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | September 3, 2009 2:09 AM | Report abuse

25 is "past prime" for a GK?

This from a Sounders fan???

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 2:10 AM | Report abuse

Yes........Wicks is pretty much crazy. He's really more of a liability then he is an asset. But, if D.C. wishes to keep losing, they should keep him in goal.

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | September 3, 2009 2:12 AM | Report abuse

25 is past his prime or before his prime, if his maturity level is that of a 10-year old. D.C. United had a chance until Wicks got stupid.

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | September 3, 2009 2:13 AM | Report abuse

Albino - are you going to light my country music award on fire? Your team played great tonight. I don't think you need to try and explain to us just how stupid Wicks was tonight. What Wicks did tonight was pretty much off the charts of poor decision making, and well beyond comparisson to throwing interceptions by an aged NFL qb. again, great showing by your club and its fans tonight, and congratulations on a well played final. best of luck in the CCL next year!

Posted by: VTUnited | September 3, 2009 2:15 AM | Report abuse

"25 is past his prime or before his prime, if his maturity level is that of a 10-year old. "

===

Talking to you is like talking to my kitchen table.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 2:17 AM | Report abuse

I've replayed the Wicks incident and whatever Wicks did, caused Montero to grasp his left side--watch closely. If Wicks made contact with Montero it was surely on his right side. Unless Wicks got his hand. We need better angles.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 3, 2009 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Thank you VTUnited......... I will try to keep my comments to the subject at hand. Good luck your club for the rest of the year. I hope gamesmanship will be of utmost importance to the players.

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | September 3, 2009 2:19 AM | Report abuse

I think it's time we all get behind young Mr. Kočić. If I have my preference, we will have seen the last of Josh Wicks in a DC uniform. The dude is unstable, which is the exact opposite of how a goalkeeper should be. I don't care if he ends up as the second coming of Lev Yashin, he has got to go.
Whoever commented on Keller's demeanor earlier was spot on. Kasey has always been vocal and demanding if necessary, but has never done it in a way that made teammates want to shove him on the field, nor has he ever stomped on an opposing goal-scorer. The man oozes class.
Unfortunate way to go out in a cup final, but props to Seattle for bringing it. Hopefully, DC can get some measure of revenge when they come back to town next weekend.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | September 3, 2009 2:29 AM | Report abuse

Alibino-
Why are you over here trying to pick a fight? They know what happend stop being a dbag and making everyother Sounder fan look bad.

Posted by: sounder1 | September 3, 2009 2:41 AM | Report abuse

Yaaawwwwwwwwnnnnn... 17k for a tournament fan? You guys should be ashamed. Seattle would have filled Qwest Field for this one. DC is the worst sports city in America!

Posted by: cjmcca01 | September 3, 2009 2:46 AM | Report abuse

You are right Sounder1. I only take issue with those trying to defend the idiotic action of Wicks. His actions were disgraceful.

I'd have to agree with cjmcca01. 17k is pathetic. It would have been 67K in Seattle. D.C. has been trying for years to get a new stadium, and they still have no chance at getting it done. How about MLS gets rid of D.C., and gives a franchise to Sacramento?

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | September 3, 2009 2:52 AM | Report abuse

They promoted the game with cheap seats, and cheap beer. They drew an entire 17k and lost. What will it be next time? 6k and free beer? Any remaining DC fans should really rally with Sounders FC fans. Soundersfc.com . Join the real fans, and leave the idiots behind.

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | September 3, 2009 3:02 AM | Report abuse

That's some pretty good satire

Posted by: AshburnUnited | September 3, 2009 3:09 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I think I can smell the Seattle fan arrogance all the way from Georgia. Amazing.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | September 3, 2009 3:10 AM | Report abuse

Dear Washington, D.C. -

We win trophies.

(See Picture of Kasey Keller holding up OUR trophy!)

We win trophies. Join us for the next one.

Posted by: theandyman17 | September 3, 2009 3:19 AM | Report abuse

Seattle fan arrogance? I don't think so. D.C. United was able to host the cup even with their tiny little fan support. D.C. United used their political influence and somehow got the final. How else do you explain 17K, vs. 67K? It will be the last final in RFK. That's for sure. Unless D.C. United starts letting pets in, the attendance has nowhere to go but down.

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | September 3, 2009 3:25 AM | Report abuse

Andyman - Having trouble with your singulars and plurals there? You win TROPHY. That's how you write it when you've only won one.

AlbinoSounder - That's right, it will be the last Open Cup final at RFK, because all the other ones will be at Kwezt Field because the Sounders are so OMG awesome that they'll be in the final every year. Solid reasoning. I'll go ahead and mark my calendar.

Posted by: J-Ro | September 3, 2009 3:39 AM | Report abuse

Mark it up J-Ro. Glad you're on board.

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | September 3, 2009 4:31 AM | Report abuse

An 8 for the 67 minutes Wicks was in, a 0 for the 28 minutes he should have been in but wasn't. 8*67/95 = call it a 5.5.

Posted by: evwill | September 3, 2009 4:43 AM | Report abuse

In reality, DC controlled possession of this game. There where 2 problems.

1) With all our possession, Seattle was content to sit back and defend. Even though DC controlled the pace of the game they created nothing going forward. Therefore, play into Seattle defensive posture and allowing Seattle to counter all day.

2) Seattle exposed our 3 central back system. Clearly, as Chicago showed, DC is a formidable defensive force with 4 at the back. Sadly, our new center back was cup-tied and this forced the 3 man system. I hope during the playoff stretch we us the 4 man system. The 2 Freddie's ran riot tonight due to our 3 in the back. A four man system would suit us better.

Jakcovic played extremely well. Was he at fault for the goals, maybe? But he saved us numerous time.

Wicks is an idiot and a disgrace. Id wouldn't even care if we cut him. Stomping like that is disgusting.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 3, 2009 5:04 AM | Report abuse

@AlbinoSounder- I'm ignoring your childish "I told you so, na na na na na boo boo!" comments, and skipping to the Brett Favre part. I'm no Packers, Jets, or Vikings fan, but you're not REALLY trying to say that one of the greatest athletes the world (YES, THE WORLD) has ever seen is comparable with Josh Wicks, the goalkeeper for DC United of a mediocre soccer league? That is incredibly insulting to Brett Favre. The man is a legend. He will be remembered as one of the, if not THE, best of all time even after all his indecisiveness in his later years. I can't even fathom why you'd bring him into the discussion, but to insult him is just bewildering. Please leave. Now. I can tolerate the taunting because the Sounders have the worst fans in MLS (AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT STATISTICS!!! YOU GUYS ARE JUST REALLY ANNOYING!!! TO EVERYONE!!! EVEN THE TFC FANS ARE ALLOWED TO HATE YOU WITH US!!!), but bringing Brett Favre with you is just a disgrace to one of the greatest men to play any game ever. Thanks for your contributions, not kindly get the f*ck out.

Another thing: they don't sell 67k seats at Qwest for MLS games and wouldn't have for this game, and they didn't even sell that many vs. Chelsea, when they potentially could have (it was 65k LMFAOROTL ZOMG YU GUYS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!1!!!!1!!!). Go choke on some granola. Where were you last year? You had a team. You didn't support it, though.

Posted by: kdiff813 | September 3, 2009 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Alibino-

Posted by: sounder1 | September 3, 2009 2:41 AM | Report abuse

THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! You are the exception to what I said above about all Sounders' fans being really annoying and hated by everyone else in MLS.

Posted by: kdiff813 | September 3, 2009 5:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | September 3, 2009 3:25 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, one more comment: seeing as how it grew from 8,200 last year to 17,300 this year, I'd say there's nowhere to go but up. Especially if the economy recovers. If it weren't for the economy, we'd probably be averaging the same amount as the last few years- around 18-20k. And I know, that isn't as amazing as the Seattle fans, because they invented the sport and the entire concept of going to watch people play that sport in a stadium for a profession, but that's better than almost anyone else in MLS except the LA Galabeckhams and TFC. We're very proud of our fan support here especially with so much else going on to compete with (5 major sports teams and a bunch of minor ones), not to mention the fact that the city is pretty poverty-stricken, so a good number of the 5 million or so in the metro area cannot afford to attend games.

I have to give you guys credit. You've done something amazing up there in Seattle. It's a pleasure to watch games at Qwest on TV. Especially on ESPNHD. Just please, keep your arrogance to yourselves. It's embarrassing to your own fans and quite insufferable for us. How is criticizing those of us who actually DO go to games going to accomplish anything? What are we supposed to do, threaten all our friends if they don't want to pay to come to every single game for a team they don't support that plays a game they wouldn't normally watch? Sorry if the rest of the city isn't very interested in the team, but I assure you, everyone here will never miss a game save for scheduling conflicts, financial problems, or the fact that there are so many of us spread throughout the country.

But thanks for all the press! With this game and the Real Madrid game, it seems like the fanbase should have grown pretty significantly! I can't imagine that newcomers were dissatisfied with what they saw last night; it was a very entertaining game no matter what.

Posted by: kdiff813 | September 3, 2009 5:45 AM | Report abuse

Qwest obviously would have sold 67k for a championship game. To dare to compare your measly little 17k vs. 32k, 65k, or 67k simply shows how little fan support you truly have.

kdiff813.......You really have no perspective on the history of sports. Favre would have been great had he retired a few years ago like he should have. Now he's just a liability to any team he's on because he's selfish. Watch Minnesota crash and burn because of him. Just like D.C. crashed and burned because of Wicks.

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | September 3, 2009 5:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm still not sure you got the rating on Emilio right. Tell me one thing he did all night. He got his hat handed to him by second-string defenders. Jaime, Fred, Gomez - why are they on the field instead of Quaranta to start the game. Bad coaching. Santino. Pontius, Wallace, Szetela need time in big games to see what they can do as a unit. Time to let the old (with a big emphasis on old) guard go. And they can take Soehn with them. The team has no identity, makes big mistakes at critical moments, has too many players out of control, and is outside the playoff picture again. Time for change.

Posted by: rcdwriting | September 3, 2009 6:14 AM | Report abuse

1) Emilio and Fred dont look interested at all. I suspect they will be cut in the offseason
2) Moreno and Gomez, god bless them, are old and slow
3) We were again exposed by speed for much of the match
4) For the one or two small mess-ups Jakovic made, he saved us 50 other times.
5) Wicks cost us that game. I knew it the second that he did it, I looked at the line judge who was talking to the ref and I knew he was gone. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
6) We're not going to make the playoffs
7) Sohen needs to get shown the door

Posted by: strago | September 3, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

How about #2 for Wicks. That's the same number you use to signify a turd, right?

Posted by: doctortechie | September 3, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Wicks 6, kept us in the game in the first half, but got himself sent off.

Namoff 6, deserves more than a 5. He is the only guy on our team with any pace. He can defend, and he scores once in a while.

Jakovic 3, made some nice plays but lost his mark on both goals.

Burch 4; weak spot on backline

Pontius 6, better than Quaranta ever was. Start him, bench Q.

Simms 5.5, played the passing lanes well.

Olsen 1, why is he on this team again? Oh yeah, b/c the coaches feel sorry for him and all his injuries. The problem is, he can't play anymore, and slows us down. Cut him.

Gomez 3, bringing him back didn't work. He is slow, and his skills are a shadow of their former selves. Bench him. Let Jaime start, and go as many minutes as he can.

Fred 1, useless. Unbelievably slow. Cut him.

Moreno 3, passes went to wrong shirts all night long.

Emilio 1. I give up. Cut him.

Subs: Quaranta 4, one of the better games for Mr. Mediocre.

Kocic 5, promote him.

Wallace 5. warm body.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 3, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I second the prevalent opinion that Jakovic played better than your grade. In the 3 guys back-line, he was everywhere. He was gassed at the end, but its understandable. Defending is not just for the defense. The whole team posture puts or releases pressure on your own defense.

Moreno is the club's legend. So I'll give him a pass.

Fred, Gomez, Emilio should not be here the next year. Thank you for your service guys. But you are not contributing anymore.

Our youngsters still uneven, and have wonderful days and have bad days. At least we can tell ourselves that they are learning.

Wicks - he is Mike Tyson: brilliant, powerful, wild animal. NFL has a ton of such guys, with propensity to self-distract. Should we bank on him NOT to shoot us in the foot at a dire moment? Or let him vent at our guys and not theirs, and pay Burch extra as Wicks punching bag? Sorry Burch, it was a mean joke at your expense. Wicks should go.

Posted by: Tolik | September 3, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

i just hope our fans dont do what seattle fans would have done if they were in our situation and turn away now from the team b/c what has happened last night/over the last two years. the rematch w/ seattle is only 9 days away and we need to pack rfk again. i know managment is absoultley pathetic in running this team, but if we stop now it will just prove the seattle trolls right. besides, the atmosphere last night was GREAT and i think all of the first timers are likley to come back because of it. we just need to keep that up for the home games down the stretch, becuase that is the only way this team has even the slightest chance to make the playoffs.

regardless though, tom sohen needs to go. its clear the team has the talent to compete with the top teams in this leauge, they just aren't consistant. that immediatley refelcts on the coach's ability to motivate the team, and based on what's happened in too many games this year it is clear that sohen can't get it done.

Posted by: rademaar | September 3, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

1. Fred was unintereated and Moreno was awful for the first 45.

2. Pontius' first few touches were crap, and the team ignored him after that.

3. Burch,for some reason, doesn't think it's necessary to hustle.

4. Jakovic was a MAN all night, but the damn finally broke.

5. Wicks made some nice saves on balls played directly at him...But he's still a hotheaded idiot.

6. Seattle completely outplayed DC pretty much all night and deserved the win.

7. Anyone notice the pointyball lines on the field? Maybe that's the reason for the poor field condition.

8. Were there ANY Seattle fans there last night, besides the ones in the upper deck tossing streamers on the field?

9. UVAtoRFK: I used to use Othell Wilson as my "why I hate UVA" response, but I long ago realized that the school and its athletic department will never really stop producing hateful d-bags. Thanks for giving us Al Groh to kick around.

10. Go Hokies!

Posted by: loosek | September 3, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

At 63:30, Montero kneed Wicks in the head going for a ball that Josh had not held onto cleanly. At the time, from our seats, it looked like Montero had done intentionally (which was part of a larger issue with Montero -- after listening to Schmid complain about how Montero was targeted for fouls earlier in the weeks, we watched him dive and routinely take cheap shots at United players throughout the evening). Watching the replay last night, it is unclear if he intended to do harm or, even, if he hit Wicks that hard.

Four minutes later, Montero poaches the goal and it looks like Wicks jumps on his right hand. But Montero gets a stretcher (for his right hand?) because he plays up Wicks' rash move as much as possible... for what reason is he put on the stretcher? Apparently an injury to his left leg, the leg that Montero used to kick Wicks in the chest while scoring the goal.

Wicks deserved red, but the circumstances seem to be a little more severe than what has been discussed here.

Posted by: CPAddick | September 3, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Great job by Sodexo(?) on concessions last night. I haven't seen a performance like that in...I dunno...months?

Posted by: Section117 | September 3, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps we should all just ignore posts from opposing fans whose sole objective is to rile us up.

On the field, United has fallen on tough times, but from 1996 through 2006, D.C. had the most consistently colorful, loud and entertaining fan support in MLS. In no small part, Crew Stadium, the HDC were inspired by the passion at RFK. If not for the pageantry of the Black and Red, MLSE never would have gotten involved. Toronto's success helped solidify Seattle's bid to join the big league. And now we are witnessing this league turn a major corner and head into a new, exciting era - thanks to the dedication, courage, forethought and strained vocal cords of many who frequent this blog.

We don't need to explain ourselves to the likes of AlbinoSounder. We should just say "your welcome" and move on with our team.

Posted by: bluejay95 | September 3, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

@CPAddic

Great point! The official last night was awful as usual and his calls or non-calls hurt DC all night. Montero should have received a yellow for his knee to Wicks' head, but there was no reason for retaliation. The ref missed a clear fouls on Pontius that might have been a penalty and a hand ball on James Riley that was clear as day.

Posted by: no_recess | September 3, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I hate to think we have that sort of thug -- at least, a thug in his more hot-headed moments -- on our team. But we have had some thugs who made major contributions to the team: for example, Stoitchov in his better times.

The question about Wicks, like so many other questions on the field, needs to be decided by next year's coach. We need that coach on hand by the day of the MLS Cup, because he will need to decide whom to protect in the expansion draft that will doubtless be held a few days later. The coach will also need to help identify the players we will need to replace those whom he decides are excess to requirements. Yet it makes little sense to replace the coach mid-season.

We will all be out there rooting for our team, but maybe it would be for the best if we miss the playoffs again. Two advantages: It won't let the front office delude itself about our being other than mediocre, and it means we can, perhaps, hire a new coach to be announced before the MLS Cup and hence be able to make some player decisions in time to do some good for next year.

Query -- is Dave Kasper part of the problem too? And, if so, is there is reasonable replacement available in time to do us any good?

Posted by: fentysupporter | September 3, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I don't think Wicks should ever wear a United Jersey again. What he did was unacceptable, but this is the second occurrence in five days which makes me think that he either has an anger management issue, or we're seeing the side affects of someone taking drugs. Either way, I don't want a player on my team that does something so stupid that he costs his team equal chance of winning a trophy. It's just pathetic.

I also think that United should start playing for next year. Let's see more of young players like Wallace, Szetela, Pontius, McTavish, Quaranta, Jakovic, and Kocic (I know there are more U-25ers, but I can't think right now). Fred, Emilio, Gomez, and Moreno should all be second half subs (or throw them into the Champions League matches).

If I were Seattle, I would make a shirt that says, "we can win trophies too" and send it to Kevin Payne.

Congrats to Seattle. They deserve their Open Cup.

Posted by: TCompton | September 3, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Wicks 1

Although he made some saves for us in the first half, he ultimately cost us the game, and did so unprofessionally.

Posted by: invncbl | September 3, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: loosek | September 3, 2009 7:39 AM

Yes, there were a few scattered on the TV side. The SE and Barra had a great time booing one guy holding up his Seattle scarf at half-time. But it was great to see the collection of Seattle fans all together in the upper deck, for a midweek game. A colleague said he came out of a meeting on Capitol Hill at about 2:30 yesterday afternoon and ran into a doze4n or so Sounders fans drinking and partying along Pennsylvania Avenue. Awesome! Hate to lose the Cup, but Seattle has made a fabulous contribution to the league in its first season. Hope they keep it up even after we kick their butts on the field next season!

Posted by: fentysupporter | September 3, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Let's get a few things clear.

2. Montero faked an injury to deceive the refs. This is cheating. He played a great game but he made his biggest contribution by a blantant, knowing violation of the rules. The players on the field knew it.

3. No doubt Wicks shouldn't have given Montero an opportunity to cheat by getting anywhere near him when he was on the ground. When they talk about experience, learning how to avoid being the victim of cheating is a big part of that.

4. Goff is an excellent reporter but needs to get in the habit of thoroughly checking replays before pronouncing judgment.

5. If I had to play goalkeeper for this team, I'd be crazy too.

6. When Seattle comes back here, any United fan needs to make it his or her duty to give Montero not a moment's rest.

Posted by: cronaldo | September 3, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section117 | September 3, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I don't think the focus of most people's reaction covers Wick's actions strongly enough. Any time a player (esp. outside the run of play) attempts to intentionally physically harm an opponent, it reflects poorly on the team, the coaching staff, and even the front office. Despite being in 'playoff contention', I for one hope that Tom Soehn (or if necessary, the front office), suspend Wicks for this violent outburst before US Soccer inevitably does so, and maybe even convince him that it is in the club's best interest that he at least get help managing his game-time emotions.

Posted by: TheGreat8 | September 3, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

A sad outcome, but if nothing else we'll benefit a bit next season from no Concacaf.

Gomes spit on CJ Brown back in the day, remember? And Brown comes from the Jay Heaps school of thuggery. Wicks lost his temper and Montero punked us and that's how it goes.

Agreed on starting the young guys. Why wasn't Wallace starting?

Oh, and Seattle fans, how are the Sonics doing these days?

Posted by: M__N | September 3, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Once again, a hard game to watch!
Wicks deserved EXACTLY what he got. I wonder how Soehn and Payne feel about their comments about Wicks after the Burch Incident now? Seems his "fighting spirit" got the best of all of us and cost the team heavily. Trade or cut him immediately!
He does not have the "class' of the majority of the team!!
Fred and Emilio should not have been on the field ! "brickfoot Emilio" cannot trap a ball to save his life and he must be the easiest guy in MLS to guard against.
Just place a defender 25 feet in front of him and wait for the ball!! Fred consistently tries to dribble to much and loses the ball 80% of the time! I think it is obvious that TS has little control over this team and cannot motivate them!
I love the team, but they are performing mediocre AT BEST. We need some young, exciting forwards who can move. Looking forward to 2010!

Posted by: patrick18 | September 3, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

@cronaldo "I made a mistake," he (Wicks) said, "and it cost our team a player and cost us a game eventually."

Wicks is an embarrassment. I hope he is benched for the rest of the year and then released.

Posted by: ahelms10 | September 3, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

So Sounders fans have resorted to trolling late at night rather than reading a book before bedtime?

Posted by: benonthehill | September 3, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I'll leave Wicks out of this one. It's a wash in my opinion. Yes, his stomp/act hurt the team, but the team had no one but him to thank for being 0-0 through 55 minutes.

The creativity going forward is pathetic. I'm suddenly watching last year's team. No drive, too many forward runs that never develop. People looking for passes in the wrong places, players making runs that go unseen (WHEN THEY MAKE RUNS!), and overall a lack of anything challenging going forward. It's suddenly not hard to keep United off the score board during the run of play.

Fred - is past his sell-on date.

Luciano - not producing for his cost.

Some of our other older attacking veterans are showing their age on full sprints.

This team needs better options going forward. The game doesn't flow in the attacking third and rarely in the midfield.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 3, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

cronaldo-

"1. Wicks stomped on the ground, not on Montero. FSC showed one replay from directly overhead and it clearly shows Wicks jumping over Montero, landing about two feet away from him."

Can you provide a link? Unless video evidence proves otherwise, everyone will assume that Wicks made contact. Don't blame Goff, blame the terrible TV coverage soccer gets in this country.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 3, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

AlbinoSounder ---

How should I put this?

You are a moron!! Your logic astounds me.

Regardless. Seattle won, congrats to you and them. You deserved the win.

Now lay off the DC attendance figures. What you all have in Seattle is great, and I hope it stays like that for a long time.

The need to put DC down on their attendance is not necessary. I'll add to other comments already posted.

DC is a predominatly African-American city. It is safe to say that the African-American community has not really embraced soccer or United as much as the (mostly white and latino) suburban fans from VA and MD. Now if you know anything about this area, you know that most people are gone the last 2 of August here, leading up to Labor Day weekend.

Now I'm not saying that we would have over 25 or 30K, but most of the fans come from the burbs, and that the traffic (even bad in late august), some misplaced fear into venturing into DC, the pathetic service for fans at RFK, and many other factors contribute to our low (by your standards)attendance figures.

Seattle has better attendance than DC? Great for Seattle, but so what? For all you Sounders fans still whining about DC winning the bid, deal with it. It is over anyway.

Posted by: torrey151 | September 3, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Wicks = 0

He committed a stupid, senseless, and selfish act that cost us a trophy. If that doesn't call for a zero, I don't know what does. The saves in the first half were great, but some of them were hit right to him, and he didn't know much about them. Nothing that he did earlier in the match makes up for that act of violence. Whether he actually caught Montero is irrelevant. The action and intent in and of themselves are full grounds for dismissal.

He belongs in the bin at the end of the season (if not before), along with Fred, Burch, Emilio, and Soehn.

Posted by: jpeace121 | September 3, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

WICKS- I thought he was good all night long when it came to soccer. Montero was simply playing dirty and not getting caught. Which is a terrible thing, however im sure Wicks could have picked a better time to get him back. Not sure Wicks even made contact. From the replay, Montero grabbed the wrong side of his chest and started crying so who knows. Eduardo is in trouble for his performance with Arsenal, so who knows what happens if Montero gets caught faking it. Wicks needs to sit the bench for that no matter what the outcome is. Fred needs to be in the MIDDLE! Not on the flank. Gomez needs to STAY in the game. Moreno's corners at the end were simply terrible. Moreno cannot START any games. He needs to be in off the bench every game. He was clearly tired. It should have been him who came off for kocic. Not sure what our coach is thinking. I think our rookies should start the game. They need time to adapt to play well. Wallace off the bench is a joke. He needs to start. Emillio is showing alot of effort but just seems to be in the wrong place at the right time. Perhaps he is slacking because he has no one competing with him for the spot. Just a poor showing from our international players. Simms lack of knowledge about the game and how it should be played when we have possession is killing our offensive flow. I thought burch had a good game.

Posted by: g3impreza | September 3, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

On the Peter Nowak/Luis Hernandez US Open Cup Stomp Scale, this ranks as an 8.

Posted by: Longgoneposter | September 3, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Agreed that from the replay, and from the way Montero reacted, it doesn't look like Wicks made contact - I think he sold it pretty well. That being said, Wicks is a moron for making that move.

I thought the back line and d-mids looked great up until the goal / card. Emilio and Fred seemed checked out the whole game, and while Gomez and Jaime weren't that bad (aside from Gomez's field goal attempts on free kicks), that's a lot of slow on the field at the same time. I'd think that Tommy would have learned by now to have either Gomez or Moreno on, but not both. I'm in the camp that wants more of the younger players out there with Gomez or Moreno in the middle controlling the flow. Was Szetela on the bench?

Posted by: eadc | September 3, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Last night, I took 10 friends to their first United game. One of my friends asked me at the start, "so who are the good players I should be watching?" I thought about it, and said, "oh, Seattle has a couple guys named Montero and Ljundberg that are pretty good."

She asked, "what about DC?"

I thought about how best to describe it to someone new to the team. "Well, DC has a couple guys who are pretty good for younger players, like Chris Pontius and Jakovic. And they have a couple guys who used to be incredible, but are kind of winding down now, like Gomez, Moreno, and Olsen. They also have a couple guys who could be good, if they showed a little more initiative, like Emilio and Fred." And just sort of trailed off.

Posted by: WashyPo | September 3, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Montero totally knew what he was doing and was going to stay on the ground until Wicks was sent off. If better replays were available, the incident could rival Rivaldo's at the 2002 World Cup. Wicks shouldn't have jumped over Montero. They both get 1s in my book.

Posted by: diego_r | September 3, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

ps: Fred's time with United should be ending soon.

Posted by: diego_r | September 3, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

For sure it is time for Fred to go. I have been saying that for months. Let some young guys play and get the experience. They can't be any worse.

I feel bad for Emilio. He needs good players around him and good service to score. Even RDA in his prime would struggle with the way we are playing now.

Moreno may be old and a bit slow, but he still does things no one else on this team does with the ball. It's amazing how he makes defenders look bad simply by shifting he weight from one foot to the other. In the right role I think he is still a worthwhile player.

Gomez was actually running last night, but after he blew the first couple of shots over to goal it was time to let some one else take a crack or just serve the ball in for Namoff to head into the goal instead of trying to shoot.

In the first half + of the game I thought there was a lot better running off the ball than we have seen in a long time. But then everyone pooped out and stopped.

The referee was bad for both sides. He let them know early he wasn't going to call much of anything and kept on not calling anything for pretty much the whole game. At least he was consistent.

I didn't see what Wicks did and haven't watched any replays. But he can't seem to control his emotions and cracks under pressure. Not good attributes for a GK. If he really did jump on Montero he should be suspended by the team or at the very least benched.

I don't get why a good player like Montero has to resort to all the petty drama.

And because I can't resist...I have a very hard time believing Seattle would have drawn 67,000 people on a Tuesday afternoon at 1 PM for this match. It's great they have such awesome fan support and are leading the league. But I hope even Seattle fans can admit that soccer needs to be played on a natural grass field and not the plastic stuff they have at Qwest.

Posted by: fedssocr | September 3, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

WaPo article incorrectly states that Wicks stepped on Montero's midsection - it was the hand.

At the stadium and looking at the initial replays, the foul looks far more intentional and vicious than it was. Looking at the Fox replays at home, Wicks was walking back towards the goal to get the ball out of the net when Montero rolls toward him causing him to jump over him unexpectedly. His foot catches Montero's hand. Based on Wicks' "I made a mistake" quote, he didn't go out of his way to miss Montero as he came down: a deserved red.

Interestingly, none of the officials were in a position to call the foul. The CR didn't see it and the AR and fourth official couldn't from their positions. While Montero was having his leg, not hand, treated they managed to come to the correct decision.

Another poor performance by United, a team that is going nowhere, and a deserved win by Seattle who were the better team. The endeavor by the remaining ten DC players was appreciated.

Posted by: AlwaysBiking | September 3, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

If I'm grading Wicks on the Goff Scale (one which has a lower par than most papers around the world) - I guess I'd give Wicks a 3. Three great saves then a completely, embarrassing, match destroying dismissal.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 3, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Steve:
It's too late to fall back on the "it doesn't matter whether he made contact or not" line. You wrote that Wicks stepped on Monteiro's mid-section. Anyone who has looked at the replays knows that is not true. And anyone who knows anything about journalism knows that you should have checked the replays before writing your story. You couldn't see what happened from the press box. You and the Post owe Wicks an apology in the printed edition.

Posted by: Jphubba | September 3, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I'll give Seattle it's due, they create way more dangerous chances than DC. If not for Lt Worf in goal they could have scored 4 or 5 times.

With that said, the referee should be shot. The Seattle right back committed 3 yellow card offenses and a handball in the box. Somehow he only walked away with 1 card, and we didn't get a PK out of it.

Losing to those Latte drinking, hard-drive crashing, always rained on SOB's pissed me off to no end last night. WE ARE DC UNITED and it's about F...ing time we started playing like it.

P.S. La Barra Brava was great last night, you lads need to take a bow.

Posted by: emjay613 | September 3, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

wicks = 0.

shouldn't be wearing the shirt, regardless of how good his first half was. simple.

Posted by: garbage | September 3, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Wicks stinks. The first shot by Montero caromed off his shin pad. Less a save than a deflection.

The first half shot by Ljundberg was a tortoise slow roller that was right at Wicks. I could have made that save. YOu know how? By sitting on my butt on the six.

His 2nd half "save" on Ljunberg provided a great rebound for Montero's goal. It was a gifted goal.

Not to mention a couple bobbles in the 2nd half, one of which was almost put in by Montero.

He's a slow ogre and he cost us a Cup. If Seattle finished in the first half, it would have been 3-0. Instead they thought Wick's had a bullseye on him.

Posted by: delantero | September 3, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I'd give Wicks a 5. I waffled between 3 and 7.

Jakovic, though, I thought was great. Give him at least a 6.

Seattle had replaced Toronto as the team we love to hate. I used to wish Seattle (and Toronto) well because they were the news kids on the block, but not after this reaction. But guess what? Seattle, you'll be replaced by Portland, and Philly, and Vancouver, so when the new car smell wears off, let's see where you are.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Obviously Simms and Namoff need to start up front as our strikers from now on.

These guys should be knocking one in once in awhile ON TOP OF all the goals that Emilio et al are scoring, right?

And I think Burch made Keller work the hardest to make a save. Other than Burch's shot which he bobbled for a fraction of a second, was Keller really tested at all?

Why DID Gomez get pulled, anyway? It must be one of those sublime football strategery moves I'm too dim to understand.

Nice game, Sounders fans. Look, Mom, I'm not feeding the trolls.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 3, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

@fentysupporter and others in the sack-Soehn camp:

Amen.

Sooner rather than later. A new manager must be in place for the postseason personnel decisions.

Contact with Montero or not, Wicks deserved his red. He needs to be benched. Give Kocic a chance. Yes, Wicks had a good match ahead of his sending off, but most of Seattle's shots were hit directly at him. Ljungberg should still be embarrassed at his miss.

Goff was a bit hard on Jacovic. He was, once again, the victim of Soehn's three-defender obsession. Green may have been ineligible, but Janicki wasn't. Even a mediocre defender added to the other three would have blunted Seattle's attack.

It took a red card to make Soehn realize that Gomez needed to come off the field. He spent his match hitting long shots high and wide. This is not the role of a playmaker. At least Soehn yanked Fred at halftime.

Szetela remains a mystery. Is he back in DCU's good graces? If he is, he needs match time. The club needs to know if his flashes of excellence in outings elsewhere were a promise or a mirage. The time to learn about Szetela is now, not next year. Someone has to succeed Gomez. Is it Szetela?

DCU needs an overhaul of staff and players. Soehn is tactically deficient, and he may be equally as challenged in personnel management. His Open Cup last year came against a second-division club. His Supporter's Shield in 2007 was with a squad built by Peter Novak. The age of players in key attacking positions is showing. Fred and Emilio must go. And Gomez and Moreno are expensive part-timers. The well of senior citizens is running dry. And Soehn continues to go to it -- with a three-man defense.

Posted by: runningcloud | September 3, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fallschurch1

Subbed out to put Kocic in.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I haven't been able to find any online video of the Wicks incident other than one on youtube that doesn't show any contact. I think once the overhead view came on FSC figured out that there was a big mistake being made and decided to shut up about it since their story is what a great and important and beautiful game the U.S. Open Cup Final is, and it's hard to pull that off if the key play in the game is a faked injury and the idotic decision to let the 4th official throw a guy out from 60 yards away.

Wicks did indeed make a mistake, he gave Montero an opportunity to punk him which Montero was happy to do. I don't think he was trying to stomp on him, I think he was trying to be cute. Rookie mistake, which he'll never make again. Brothers and sisters, Josh Wicks is our goalie. Get behind him or get off the bus.

I'm from Seattle, I have taken great pride in the success of the game in Seattle, but as of today they join the Revs as a team I love to hate.

Posted by: cronaldo | September 3, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Look on the bright side - we'll be a seriously pissed off fanbase by next season - when we'll be able to blow off some steam with beer filled road trips to Chester and Harrison.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 3, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Seattle. The outplayed us and out-coached us.

Sadly, but expectedly for the internet, we don't hear from the 99% of well-mannered fans. The ones who go out of their way to post messages on the Washington Post site are (usually) the ones who are intent on stirring up trouble.

Now, someone needs to buy a cheap bust of George Washington at a souvenir shop, glue a container on its head and brand it "The Washington Cup."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 3, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Any thoughts on who the new coach will be?

Posted by: restonhoops | September 3, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

The Award Winning "Stomp" comes to DC starring Albert Haynesworth and Josh Wicks.

Posted by: JoelRanck | September 3, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

""three-defender obsession. Green (?) may have been ineligible, but Janicki wasn't. Even a mediocre defender added to the other three would have blunted Seattle's attack."

After 3-4 chances within our 6 yard box in the first half, ANYONE becoming a 4th defender would have helped. Instead, Jakovic is hung to dry as our mids don't trail (Simms loses Ljundberg on his run to goal). At least make Seattle work for their shots.

Posted by: delantero | September 3, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JoelRanck | September 3, 2009 9:57 AM

5 stars

:-)

Posted by: Kev29 | September 3, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Jakovic was amazing. He was 1 v 1 with Montero most of the night. In the first half he won every battle. When Namoff or Burch get beat on the wings there is time for cover. When you run a 3 man backline with your centerback isolated THE ENTIRE GAME 1 v 1 he is bound to get beat sometimes. If we had anyone else on our roster in Jakovic's slot we would have given up 4 or 5 goals.

I fault Soehn for playing such a risky defensive formation. We started the game as if we were 1 down.

Posted by: Golden_Child | September 3, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fallschurch1

Subbed out to put Kocic in.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 9:50 AM
------------------------------------------------

I believe the point is to question why Gomez was selected rather than, say, Olsen. Gomito could create the necessary game-tying chance. Olsen? Not so much.

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Emilio needs to be cut. He was absolutely useless, by the 40th minute I forgot he was there. Gomez had no spark. Fred wasn't bad, at least he was making an attempt, which is more than I could say for the $600k traffic cone up front.

Even though Benny's legs aren't what they used to be, the passion and fire he brings to the game is stronger than ever. At one point when he made an attack, I started screaming, "Ben Kenobi, you're our only hope!"

Even though I sit with the SEs... the Barra's tifo was amazing. The Evil Empire banner was genius - well done!

And to all the Seattle fans who claim their stadium would have been sold out for this game... at 1 PM on a Tuesday? Yeah, RIGHT. If I were you guys, I'd be more focused on being happy that your guys brought it to the table and rightfully won the game. ;)

Posted by: Dynaformer | September 3, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Wicks: I give him a 9 for his play. The man child was unreal. He had absolute spots of brilliance. I also like that he has fire and passion. I'd pick him up for my team every chance I got.

As for Montero,I would do my best to break his leg, hand or anyother body part. He raped a girl early in the year and got a pass because he was playing well. I thought soccer in this country would be above allowing thugs to stay as long as they can play but I guess not.

People for weeks have been talking about Fred and Emilio. I agree they need to go or stop draining resources.

Can we all talk about the elephant in the room? Jaime Moreno has to step down. I don't want this to be a Marco situation where Jaime plays three years past his retirement and ultimately slows the progress of the club down. Jaime is a DCU hero and deservedly so. He should be offered a coaching position in the youth system or marketing or where ever they place players to groom them for a career with the staff.

His play on the field is not awful. It is however slow. He was never a speedster, but his lack of pace is slowing down the young guns who can get out and run. With Jaime and Emilio on the field its like having two trees in the middle of the field, add an off night for Gomez and there is absolutely no motion in our offense.

Posted by: UniteforDC | September 3, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

===

The CR was in the right place to call the play (25 from goal, 5 yards left of center) and see any stomp on landing. He saw nothing. Setting aside wether it was the right call or not - I truly don't know - I really don't like 4Os assessing misconduct when other officials in better positions have seen none.

Still a dumb move.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

i =hate= montero. hatehatehate. hatehate hatehate hatehatehatehaethate.

Posted by: crocken | September 3, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Why'd Wicks taunt Montero anyways? Why'd Wicks step over him? Why'd Wicks get anywhere near Montero? And it sure looked on one replay like he looked right down at Montero's hand and stepped on it. He should be benched for the foreseeable future. He's an arse.

Posted by: delantero | September 3, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Hull's latest signing is probably not good news for Jozy, but I appreciate every mention of the soccer player with the greatest last name ever -- Vennegoor of Hesselink.

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Ha! I didn't realize that was his entire name -- I thought he played for Hesselink.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

According to our research, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink was thus named because, way back in the 17th century, two farming families in the Enschede area of Holland intermarried. Both the Vennegoor and Hesselink names carried equal social weight, and so - rather than choose between them - they chose to use both.

'Of' in Dutch actually translates to 'or', which would mean that a strict translation of his name would read Jan Vennegoor or Hesselink.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"We don't win trophies."

Re the field: DCU, fans included, can forget about any improvements to the field (including removing the still-visible football lines from LAST DECEMBER!), to the sseating, to the infrastructure, to any areas outside the building, to anything at RFK. Now that the city has no incentive to keep the stadium warm for the arrival of a baseball team, which it had to do from 1996 when the Skins left to 2005 when the Nats arrived, it won't put anything towards that dump.

Posted by: lgm6986 | September 3, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Tom Soehn = -100000000000000000000000

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 3, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fallschurch1

Subbed out to put Kocic in.

Posted by: Reignking | September 3, 2009 9:50 AM
------------------------------------------------

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

---Thanks fischy, you're right. (Was that sarcasm from Reignking?) Had we been winning, then fine, pull Gomez, but we weren't . . . I realize Gomez was not setting the field on fire, but still . . .

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 3, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

After 'e was sent off, did 'e 'ave def freats?

Posted by: dccal | September 3, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Amazing match last night! Both sides fought hard but SSFC wanted it more...

Wicks, you are a dumbass and an shame to the sport. You have let your team and fans down!

Great support by DCU! 17,000+ is not too shabby! I think we are dreaming if we think we could have filled Qwest with 65,000+ for this one. We could have pulled off 32,000 though. But it doesn't matter... that topic is over now. In the end, SSFC wins the cup in DC... That is totally sweet.

AlbinoSounder - It's ok to talk a little trash but now you're just making SSFC fans sound like a bunch of arrogant sore winners.

See you losers on the 12th!

Posted by: soundero | September 3, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

@Cronaldo

From watching the broadcast, including field-level and overhead replays, it seems pretty clear that Wicks made contact with Montero with his boot. It looked like he raked the side of his torso, and maybe he landed on the hand too. And, Wicks was looking down at him (aiming at him?) during the entire sequence. Maybe it wasn't a full-on WWE stomp that would have resulted in a hospitalization, but Wicks made contact and he sunk us. Too bad, b/c Wicks had been keeping us in the game.

I'm a huge United supporter, but let's be real.

Wicks needs to sit awhile (though I hope not permanently, as I think he has potential... assuming he is coached and mentored into tempering his aggression... all the kudos for Keller are spot on).

Posted by: Mixter | September 3, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Ill echo the sentiments already said.

Wicks needs to go through anger management. Competitiveness is no excuse to lose it on the field and put your team down a man. They teach that stuff to 1st graders in the MSI program...maybe Wicks needs to go there and learn that lesson. The single thing a player has control over with the referees is getting carded for attitude and talking back. It is unprofessional to get cards for this kind of garbage. When I drag my son to the game, I am ashamed of the example he sets.

I continue to say Emilio is a waste of space. Pick any guy on the bench and put him in for Emilio and you will see more than Emilo has been giving. He is lazy running back onsides after a push. He is slow going through through balls and the defenders always catch him. He stinks at headers. He so habitually back passes that he doesn't even look for forward opportunities, and in one game I actually saw him reverse an attack Moreno was initiating by killing progress with a back pass. Emilio needs to spend a long time on that bench thinking about whether he wants to retire, or whether he wants to get in shape and score. I would take that $600K salary and just pick any 6 guys and try them out and see who can play better for that price.

It is Emilio that is the problem for this team. Wicks kicks long balls to him which are lost. Any kind of target play means he will lose the ball. Any thru ball for him will be turned over. As long as you continue to put him up top he will steer our offence into service oriented towards him, and he is not delivering. Dump him yesterday.

Fred at least still runs and has flashes. But Emilio...its a total waste. Every time there is a substitution I pray its going in for Emilio

Posted by: Wiggan | September 3, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | September 3, 2009 10:45 AM

Indeed - more competition for Jozy, but it looks like Daniel Cousin won't be getting much time up front for the Tigers.

Still, with 4+ strikers competing for 2 (or sometimes 1) spots, he'll have to be sharp in training.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 3, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

So, uh, what are the chances Wicks starts against Seattle next Saturday? ;)

Posted by: asfoolasiam | September 3, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Well, I still can't find any useful video online that shows anything, the one shot of the offense (i.e. Montero's faked injury) on the US Soccer highlight tape has Montero's body blocking the spot where Wicks' feet came down, then Montero grabbing his chest in a spot that was clearly not touched by Wicks. I watched all the replays closely, paying careful attention to what the camera actually showed of where Wicks' feet were and where various parts of Montero's body were, and there was no contact. The very last replay that appeared was from far overhead, and it showed Wicks' feet coming down in one place, Montero's body in another. No contact, no red card offense. Thinking that Wicks meant to get him and missed is sheer speculation, I could just as easily say he meant to miss him and was looking down to make sure he missed him. Which he did.

I absolutely agree that it was a stupid play on Wicks' part, as Goff says he should not be anywhere near the guy much less jumping over his body, but the harsh views expressed by many on this forum are not in line with what actually happened. At least as they regard Wicks.

Posted by: cronaldo | September 3, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Montero oversold the injury (he's on the path to be another Carlos Ruiz--scores a lot, but a total jerk and cheat), but that doesn't absolve Wicks of anything. Easy red card call. Even if Wicks didn't make contact (which he did, but not to the degree that Montero was selling), it's the same thing as if he took a swing at him and missed. That's as much of a red as actually making contact. Absurd and unprofessional.

And the center did exactly the right thing--consulted with the AR first, made sure they were in agreement and hadn't seen anything else,then issued the red correctly and kept his cool when Wicks freaked out. Excellent reffing job.

Posted by: macheath | September 3, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Here's what it gets down to with Wicks. Was he over there jumping over the guy in sort of an infantile gesture or attempt to intimidate? That's bad, but given everything he's done since solidifying the #1 spot I would say when you play a rookie you have to expect rookie mistakes, he's unlikely to make this one again, and that's it.

Or, was it a brutal act of uncontrolled aggression, attempting to maim another player? That's like, I don't want my kids to watch this team any more. Sorry though, I just don't see any sign of this, either watching the game or on video or from anything Wicks has done in the past. (BTW, it's part of a goalkeeper's job to get in his defenders' faces if they're screwing up, so don't tell me about the Burch incident the week before).

Whether he made contact makes a difference because I think if he had tried to stomp on him he would have stomped on him and Montero would be in the hospital.

I think too many people in soccer (including refs) hate goalies.

Posted by: cronaldo | September 3, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

===

Silly question, but isn't this why they wear the radios? So that such conferences can happen quickly, and without having to run over to the touchline? Apparently they were discussing something on the wireless, just after it happened so perhaps they did see *something*, but why the delay?

It's not a very long conversation:
CR: Woah... I think that player just got stompped, but I was partially screened. What do you guys think?
AR1: Looked like it to me.
4O: Yep.
CR: Who?
AR1: Well... The GK hopped over the player on the ground, so it was probably him.
4O: That's what it looked like from here.
CR: Send off the GK?
AR1: (while touching his back pocket) Yes.
4O: Yes.
CR: Right. (Shows card to Wicks)

Post card: The whole crew did a great job handling the situation.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I am absolutely amazed that Seattle fans are still on here talking about their attendance numbers. I just cannot believe it. They won a freakin Cup! They beat us fair and square. THAT is what they should be bragging about if they want to brag! It's so tiresome to constantly hear from those fans how they would fill their stadium. Who cares!!!

I've love to see these two teams meet again in the MLS Cup Final. The Wicks incident definitely helps fuel the rivalry.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 3, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

So if Tommy gets the boot, does Andrulis get the nod since he is down the street at GMU taking that program to National prominence?

Posted by: CardCat | September 3, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Dear Sounders fans:

You sound a lot like RSL fans boasting about their support midway through their first year in the league. Look at them now (averaging 16K this season). Sure, you are averaging a few more than they did, but you are also a bigger market. Fore the sake of the league, I hope your numbers stay up. But until you can sustain it, you're nothing.

Sincerely,

DCU4LIFE, in good times and bad.

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | September 3, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to DC United for a hard-fought tournament.

I'm a season ticket holder for the Sounders, and we go back and forth on Montero. He goes off his feet pretty easily, and tends to oversell injuries. He doesn't show nearly the hustle that someone like Sebastien LeToux shows, but he's near the top of the table for the golden boot.

That said, tossing Wicks was the correct call. Watching the live broadcast on Fox Sucks C.. er, fox soccer channel, you could see that there was intent to make contact and that montero grabbed his hand right away and held it to his chest. Yes, there was some gamesmanship involved, but wicks unquestionably deserved ejection.

That was an embarrassment to sport.

I'm really glad we have a top guy with some major class between the posts.

So for those that are interested, I found a breakdown of how our attendance stacks up with leagues around the world:

We are very proud of what we as fans have done to rally for our team so far, and we really do intend to continue to support them for years to come.

I think a part of a lot of us feels we have the right to brag about attendance because of our history of soccer support in Seattle. The NASL Sounders averaged 23,828 back in 1976.

Most of us don't mean any disrespect to opposing fans, but a lot of us feel rather slighted that it took this long to get an MLS team. And whoever it was that said we'd pull 67k for an open cup match was talking out of the north end of a south bound mule.

Good luck to you, DC United fans, and we'll see you in 10 days. I hope the next match is as exciting as this was.

Posted by: member8 | September 3, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

====

I still don't get this, "intent to make contact" with a prone opponent. Yes - intent to strike or kick an opponent is just as much VC as striking or kicking them, but who the hell stomps a prone opponent and misses? Ever? It doesn't make sense. He's prone! Vulerable! He can't dodge! In a situation like that, you either try to hit the SOB and do, or you don't and you don't. When Montero comes back next weekend, his hand had better still be black and blue from being stepped on, or else I'm just gonna have to chalk this one up to stupidity (Wicks) and simulation (Montero).

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

prone is laying on your stomach, face facing the ground.
supine is laying on your back

Posted by: castroviejo | September 3, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Wicks gets a 2 .... red card

Posted by: gattipost | September 3, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Would it be really unfair to nickname Wicks our Chupacabra? At least until he calms down?Check out the second photo here.... http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/09/03/animal.mystery.chupacabra/index.html

Posted by: dsheon1 | September 3, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

prone is laying on your stomach, face facing the ground.
supine is laying on your back

===

You're absolutely correct, and either in medicine, physical therapy, or a dancer.

Posted by: mason08 | September 3, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

----------

I don't think he did miss, but I couldn't see the actual contact from the replay angles.

Posted by: member8 | September 4, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse