USA News, Notes & Poll

Greetings from Park City, the mountain village 35 miles from Salt Lake City where the USA squad has been based all week. The team will train at Rio Tinto Stadium later today, its final preparations before Saturday night's World Cup qualifier against El Salvador (8 p.m. ET, ESPN Classic, Telefutura).

Forward Conor Casey, who probably wouldn't have been on the game-day roster anyway, is not with the team after having wisdom teeth removed. His status for the T&T trip might be determined today. If scratched, it's unlikely a replacement would be called into camp unless the USA's yellow card/suspension issues (nine players are carrying a card) worsen.

Defender Jay DeMerit has missed training all week with a groin strain and seems more likely to be considered for Wednesday's match. His central partner, Oguchi Onyewu, is out on yellow cards and preparing to rejoin the lineup in Port of Spain.

Carlos Bocanegra is almost certain to return to central defense after playing on the left in previous qualifiers. His partner? Perhaps Chad Marshall. Coach Bob Bradley could use Jonathan Spector on the left -- he's been playing there for West Ham -- and Steve Cherundolo on the right, but Spector is most comfortable on the right side and Jonathan Bornstein could fill the left slot.

Speaking of Spector, I had a nice interview session with him today to discuss his emergence on the national team and the surreal experience of being on the pitch during that wild scene at Upton Park for the West Ham-Millwall League Cup match. You can read the story in Saturday's print editions (available online tonight). I will return later with news and comments from USA training. Meantime.....

By Steve Goff  |  September 4, 2009; 2:52 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Poll , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Kickaround
Next: Jakovic Sidelined

Comments

Completely off topic.

You know, I been thinking. I always thought that relegation/promotion would never work in the states. The country is too big, and too many places will want to get in on the action of a succesful league for any league to restrict membership. Too much money involved.

But the more I think about it, what that would really mean is that the level of completition in the top league would be amazingly high. With a country so large and so many areas able to support teams, it would really make the top 20 teams very good. And there would always be more teams knocking on the door trying to get in.

I think relegation/promotion can work in the states. It will take a visionary investor to start a league with the profile, marketing, and awards structure to make it appealing. Then the sky's the limit.

Of course all this assumes at some day we'll have an interest in the sport in this country that will support that kind of finiancial endeavor.

Posted by: Matte | September 4, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Goffinho,

Make sure to hit the Carl's Jr in Sandy, UT. It shouldn't be too far from the stadium.

Carl's Jr. is the food I miss most from out West...(sigh)...

Posted by: ErickSp8 | September 4, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Bruce Murray get into some argy bargy with Millwall "supporters" when he was with Millwall?

I wonder if Spector has an opinion on whether Millwall fans are mouth-breathers.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 4, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

France goes to PKs in Euros and Sonia isn't a taker? How is that possible?

Posted by: OWNTF | September 4, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather see Spector at left back and Cherundolo on the right. El Salvador is going to look to catch us with open spaces on the wings, meaning we'll have guys going 1v1 out there. Bornstein doesn't inspire confidence like Cherundolo, and Spector's last couple games at West Ham have been on the left. To me, this is an easy decision.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 4, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"Forward Conor Casey, who probably wouldn't have been on the game-day roster anyway, is not with the team after having wisdom teeth removed."
======================

Certainly his crowning achievement this season.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 4, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Adios. Gonna go look at all of the weirdos dressed up in costumes at DragonCon.

Posted by: Reignking | September 4, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Joe Doc for not making the obvious pun on wisdom. My own self-imposed ban of puns from a previous thread is extended to this one. However, it's toothle...unenforceable.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 4, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

You do realize that Carl's Jr = Hardee's right? Exact same stuff, different name. Sort of like Checker's/Rally's/??? I forget their 3rd name, still, all the same junk.

Matte, Pro/Rel will NOT happen in the US. There's simply no reason for it here.
Maybe 50-100 years down the road, if every medium-sized city in the country had a team owned by a crazy Russian billionaire, who would spend top dollar on players for the Pennsylvania Stoners (yes, there is a team named that in the NPSL) or Charm City FC (another NPSL team).

But realistically, it simply won't happen. What's more likely, is MLS will continue to grow (well beyond 20 teams) and adapt a structure similar to the rest of American sports, i.e. East and West, with minimal inter-league play (if at all) until the playoffs.

In 20 years, I could see MLS having 30-32 teams, 15-16 in each conference, and teams would only play each team in the conference home and away, meaning a 28-30 match season.

It may not be the way it's done around the rest of the World, but that's never stopped us before, why start worrying about them now? Sticking to and East/West set-up, would also limit time-consuming, energy-sapping, expensive cross-country travel.

Perhaps have all the teams enter the Open Cup in the same round, with a home and away series against a team from the other conference.

Posted by: alecw81 | September 4, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say Carl's Jr/Hardees?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 4, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

The poll did not have a promotion/relegation option. Any win is good enough for me.

I may watch DC United live and hold off til Sunday to watch my recording of US-El Salvador and Costa Rica- Mexico.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 4, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

What!!?? I thought you were going to the DC United game! Come on!

Posted by: marcool | September 4, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

======================

I hope the dentist doesn't drill him on his shooting ability.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 4, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I hope the dentist doesn't drill him on his shooting ability.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 4, 2009 4:04 PM |

Can't you come up with something with a little more bite?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | September 4, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

======================

Perhaps the dentist will be enamaled with Casey.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 4, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I agree with BaRRD, you need to chews better puns.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 4, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I had all of my wisdom teeth removed in one outing and was working and ready for a track meet that afternoon. I didn't expect him to play, but WTF?

Posted by: sitruc | September 4, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

why is casey having his wisdom teeth removed while at Nats camp? seems like his spot at could have been given to someone else. was the decision to have the operation an emergency, or something he'd been chewing on for a while?

that was horrid. I apologize for that.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 4, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

All these wisdom jokes are terrible. But I can't stop myself from laughing anyway.

Chest your right. Play Spector and Cherondolo at the wide backs.

Marshell or Goodson will both do fine in the center next to Boca.

I say 2 or 3 nil win. We are good at home. El Salvador doesn't travel well and Arturo Alvarez plays for San Jose.

I-270, I vote for ban to be uplifted.

I have no clue if I spelled any of those names right and I am not going to check via google. So just deal with it.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 4, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

The root of my problem? I'm over-egging the toothing.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 4, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he has an infection or a bad reaction to the anesthesia.

@VTUnited. Never apologize for a pun unless it really bites.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 4, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

This thread has gone from argy - bargy to fracas....

Posted by: JkR- | September 4, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alecw81

-----------------------------

Almost, but not quite. Same sammmmmmiches [sic] and much of the menu is identical (as are the websites), but Hardee's lacks a few of the killer Carl's Jr. sides like fried zucchini and waffle fries.

Also tasty is Bajio's mexican food joint, there is one in South Town shopping center. Sure the ambience is Chipotle-Meets-Moe's, but the food i good and they don't exist in the Mid-Atlantic. (1902 East 9400 South, Sandy, UT)

ARGH - I almost forgot Johnny Carino's, my favorite Italian chain-joint. There are none in DC/VA/WV/MD/DE (closest are in NC and PA). There is also one in Sandy and their service was outstanding. (10585 South State Street, Sandy, UT).

Mangia Tutto!!!

Posted by: ErickSp8 | September 4, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Stay focused, people. This is a soccer blog.

How about Goodson and Marshall in the middle, and Boca out wide?

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 4, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Boca? Shouldn't he be the one at the dentist?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 4, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

you guys stop it before i sic my canines on you.

this defensive morass is giving me the agita, but keeping Bornstein off the field would be preferred.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | September 4, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

after that Mexico Gold Cup debacle, i'd rather not have Goodson and Marshall playing together in the middle. Boca looked slow last time out, so keeping him in the middle keeps him from being exposed as much.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | September 4, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

JoeDoc you present a good option but "standard Bob's" head would exploded if you suggested a massive shake up like that.

@Josh86, did you get my email about the open cup game? I would love to get a viewing party going down here in Flagstaff. Only problem is I don't think DC has any MLS games left on national tv. (I get FSC for the UCL and CCL games)

On another note, I found a bar that offers GOL TV down here. (Its the Play 'N Take off W. Aspen Ave) I also live right above it.

Josh86, hit me up if you wanna watch the USMNT game tommorrow. If you didnt get my email, well my email address is blg54.

I would put my phone number but JoeDoc seems like the prank call type...

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 4, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

And Fishcy, stop popping up on other soccer blogs (Soccer by Ives) I go there to get away from you.......... (joking)

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 4, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Given my recent track record of voting in these polls, I'm went opposite and said we'd lose.

Posted by: delantero | September 4, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

If you're going to Carl's Jr., you have to get the right sandwich; and don't forget a milkshake.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 4, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

grubbsbl: "Hello?"

Caller: "Is your refrigerator running?"

grubbsbl: "Why, yes, as a matter of fact, it is. Why?"

Caller: "Then you'd better go catch it! Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 4, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

This thread is getting too weird for me. I'm quitting before Joe Doc posts a knock-knock joke.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend that includes wins by USA, DC, and whatever Euro teams you cheer for.

I hope your favorite college football team wins too, unless it's Charleston Southern, which plays my Gators. In that case, I hope you beat the 73 point spread by one or two points.

If your kids are playing this weekend, whether they are your own kids or the kids you coach, I hope they all score multiple goals and win their matches with dignity and grace.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 4, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Orange.

Orange who?

Orange you glad there's a new milkshake?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 4, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

To the Goff or P-Ten, what the word on Dejan Jakovic flying to Germany to have sports hernia surgery?

Posted by: addick | September 4, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank you all, I thoroughly enjoyed today's thread...between Carl's and Wisdom teeth it was quite the treat(ment).

Cheers and Go UNITED and Go USA!

Posted by: Samuraise | September 4, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Wisdom teeth are soooooo dumb.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 4, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse