Video: Brazil and Bahrain

Brazil's 4-2 victory over Chile:

Middle East Madness: Bahrain was tied 1-1 at Saudi Arabia and just needed to survive added time to advance on away goals and secure passage to another playoff against New Zealand. However, the Saudis scored to move to the brink of victory. Bahrain then answered off a corner kick in the fourth minute of added time for a 2-2 tie. The video and audio are priceless:

By Steve Goff  |  September 10, 2009; 7:41 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Brazil
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA/DCU Rewind
Next: Weekend TV Listings

Comments

Was watching the Saudi-Bahrain match live online ... what an incredible ending! I've been watching Bahrain in the Asian qualifying and hoping they would advance, and wow, did they ever. Gotta love futbol.

Notice the announcer sounds as if he's about to lose his voice!

Also, what horrible marking by the Saudis ... Bahrain has so few players in the box and three of them are in the same spot. But that didn't matter. :D

Posted by: Cerealman | September 10, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

I think I would replace the word "priceless" with "worse than nails on a chalkboard" for the announcer.

Posted by: amgrover | September 10, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Look for $150 per barrel oil by Friday.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 10, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

hey man...we're talking soccer here. Not your oil complaints.

Posted by: godpere | September 10, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

That's Nihat's replacement, Nilmar, with the hat trick for Brazil. Incredible how deep they are; and it looks like a very promising sign for Villarreal.

Posted by: Reignking | September 10, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I'll have to take my girlfriend to a game there someday.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 10, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I guess god can't take a joke. ;-)

Posted by: nairbsod | September 10, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Someone get the Saudi commentator some Oxygen, stat. I'm pretty sure his lips were turning blue. Breath, man!

Posted by: delantero | September 10, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

""I'll have to take my girlfriend to a game there someday.""

Free Burqas to the first 100 women?

Posted by: delantero | September 10, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I forget, are they with us, or against us?

Posted by: delantero | September 10, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting the Bahrain-Saudi video, Goff. It was funny seeing their goal scorer remove his shirt, given their culture's focus on modesty. Saudi soccer fans gotta be feelin' low today.

I remember when Bahrain came close to qualifying for the 2006 World Cup and lost the home-and-home playoff to Trinidad.

Posted by: billindmd | September 10, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | September 10, 2009 9:39 AM

I doubt they get the Oxygen channel in Saudi Arabia.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 10, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

hey man...we're talking soccer here. Not your oil complaints.

Posted by: godpere
-------------------

Way to completely miss the joke.

Posted by: spidergoose | September 10, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I doubt they get the Oxygen channel in Saudi Arabia.

==

They do, but only through female-only sat' dishes. You can tell them from the normal ones because they're pink and in a seperate part of the roof from all the others.

Posted by: mason08 | September 10, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm very happy for Bahrain. I used to work there for about a year or so. This is a HUGE rivalry game for them. Every weekend they put up with the Saudi influx of people looking to party and they definitely have some anti saudi sentiment there. but a kind of david and goliath thing, too. I remember the streets were PACKED everytime they won a big qualifier and it was very nice to see.

I found the vast majority of bahrainis very hospitable, genuine, and generally enjoyed myself very much. and i miss mesh mesh (juice store). can't someone make a good layered juice/smoothie with: FRESH avacodo, mango, banana, and a bit of honey and nuts on top. trust me its the noosh.

Posted by: wordup1 | September 10, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I hope they're in the right group so that I can write "Bahrain and Spain fall mainly to feign pain."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 10, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely gut-wrenching for the Saudis. The only thing I can think of that compares is that last cycle Cameroon had a PK in stoppage time that would have put them into the WC finals, and they put it off they post.

I'm glad the Saudis didn't make it; they always qualify and then get drubbed for three games. Give someone else a shot.

Posted by: jsm91 | September 10, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Avocado? Really? Does not sound like appetizing drink.

Don't know any Arabic, but the announcer seemed very distraught that Allah turned his favor so quickly from the Saudis.

Posted by: fischy | September 10, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Osasuna had scored in the 125th minute at home in a home-and-home series a few years ago in the UEFA Cup to advance at the last second, after some back-and-forth scoring.

Oh, and I think Bayern Munich did much the same to Getafe last year or the year before.

Posted by: Reignking | September 10, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Wiki with the details:

They successfully qualified to the knock-out stage, finishing second in their group, and were drawn against Girondins Bordeaux, who had dropped into the UEFA Cup following an unsuccessful Champions League campaign. Osasuna progressed 1-0 on aggregate, drawing 0-0 away before winning 1-0 in Pamplona through an extra-time winner by Javad Nekounam.
_____
Getafe drew the away leg 1-1 ,[24] thanks to an injury time equaliser from Cosmin Contra. In the second leg Rubén de la Red was sent off after six minutes. Contra put Getafe ahead just before halftime, but in the 89th minute Franck Ribéry equalised, sending the game into extra time. Two quick goals, from Javier Casquero and substitute Braulio, gave Getafe a 3-1 lead but Bayern pulled a goal back from Luca Toni, before Toni again scored seconds before the end of extra time, giving Bayern an away goals win.

Posted by: Reignking | September 10, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, I-270. I needed that laugh.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 10, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think that the guy who should be skewered is the Saudi player who had the ball with room down the line, and cut back across the middle instead of taking the ball for a walk to the corner flag?

With like 30-45 seconds left, that would all but ice the game. Instead, he cut back, gave the ball away pretty quickly, and ...

Posted by: _Marshall_ | September 10, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jsm91 |
-----------------------

Shoulda seen Portugal's first game this round against Denmark. Up 1-0 in the 85th, Portugal began dancing around and taunting the Danes. Denmark scores. Portugal starts playing again and scores in the 90th. Did they learn their lesson? Nope! They start taunting again and then Denmark scored TWICE in stoppage time to win 2-3. Indicative of everything that is wrong with Portuguese football.

Posted by: troy6 | September 10, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

To foow-up on Cerealman's comment, Not counting the GK, there were 8 Saudis in the box and 4 Bahrainis. Shambolic. The GK needs to go Josh Wicks on his defense.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 10, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Off Topic: Congratulations to Mel Brooks and Dave Brubek, whose work has often been quoted and linked to on Soccer Insider, for being Kennedy Center honorees.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 10, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

More congrats, MLS and MNT player Diego Gutierrez to be inducted into "World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame," which I may visit if I find myself in Boise with time to kill. Wonder if they have ugly blue carpet.

Along with Adonal Foyle, who may be the best athlete from Colgate since Rob Stone.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 10, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Deutschland 6, England 2 in women's Euro finals. Are you kidding me? Wonder if US or Brazil can step it up for 2011 World Cup. Otherwise, it's a laugher. Deutschland uber alles.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 10, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

not exactly the right avacado drink, but gives you the idea. dude, trust me it was sooo good.

Posted by: wordup1 | September 10, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Who ever in that last post said Bahrain would beat US needs to have his or her head examined. FSC is replaying both legs currently and I just watched 20 minutes of the worst soccer of my life. Relatively sure the NYRB's would give them a go.

The only reason I would said Bahrain has a chance verse New Zealand is due to New Zealand's starting center back being Andrew Boyens, oh wait so do the Red Bulls.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 10, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

YOU LIE!

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 10, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe I'm the first nimrod to think of posting that today...

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 10, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

well dun Master Doc well dun lad

Posted by: OWNTF | September 10, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Hasn't Maradona been fired yet?

I'm looking at the box score...

He put in 35-year-old Martin Palermo for Aguero? He hadn't played for Argentina in 10 years. He might've been a teammate of Maradona's!

10 minutes left, 1 sub left, down one goal...and he brings in a center back???

Is Tevez injured? Because he wasn't on the squad.

Posted by: Reignking | September 10, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Who will Maradona blame:

CONMEBOL for the schedule?
The Argentina FF for the players?
The United States for everything?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 10, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I hope Argentina will still make it to the world cup. They bring a lot of color to the game, on and off the field.

It would be terrible if two of the top 3 players in the world (Messi and C. Ronaldo) missed the event.

Posted by: JP-10 | September 10, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

It would also be terrible if Maradona made the event, so it's a wash. Argentina get what they deserve for picking him.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 10, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

don't bother me none if the top two players miss the WC. I want the best teams and, by definition, if they don't qualify they ain't the best teams. history ain't nothing but yellowing newsprint (or, in this day and age, electronically archived blog posts).

I did hope I would get to see a death match pairing of Argentina and Mexico with a bid on the line. Looks like Mexico is set to qualify directly, though. Shame. Would have been fun to see which would whine and complain the most.

Posted by: troy6 | September 10, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Joe, I was actually expecting you to post something like:

"Ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-Bahrain" to the tune of the Beach Boys.

Posted by: troy6 | September 10, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit

What he really needed to do was make sure one of these 8 was standing on the back post. It would have been an easy clearance for a defender on the post.

Posted by: Gooner | September 10, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

_Marshall_:

That guy is the Saudi David Ginola. He's going to have to grow his hair out to do the L'Oreal commercials, though.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 10, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Depending on how the groups are set . . .

The reign of Spain