Video: Is This a Penalty?

From D.C. United's 2-2 tie at Dallas.....

Santino Quaranta: "He hit me, man. I should have scored, I was just waiting for him to hit me. You know [Moreno] is going to score the penalty so, I thought it was a penalty. . . . He was behind me, he wasn't in front of me, so it was a penalty, right? I mean that's the obvious rule here, right? If he's behind me and I'm in front of him and he touches me, I'm going down."

By Steve Goff  |  September 6, 2009; 1:24 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Mexico at Saprissa
Next: MLS Playoff Race

Comments

Torres did clip his heels and I think it's a penalty. Though to be honest, I think Dallas' best chance would have to let Santino go. I don't think he would have scored as he got too deep and cut his angle out completely.

Remember, running at full speed, it doesn't take but a scintilla of contact on the heels to send someone sprawling. considering the joke penalties given against United this season (@ Galaxy, @ New England), I think this one is kharma induced

Posted by: ARickey | September 6, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Let's just say DC is lucky they are not part of UEFA, given the zeal with which that fine organization is reviewing controversial penalties.
But yes, this almost levels United's BS penalty tally for the year. Some days you are the statue -- on this night DC was the pigeon.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | September 6, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

As the Brits say, Q made a meal of it.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 6, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Follow-up. Given the number of call that we've been on the "wrong end" if, this shows that they sometimes even up.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 6, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

He contacts, I think, Tino's left foot. At full speed this caused Tino to lose his balance.
Perhaps Q embellished it, I don't know.
The overriding fact is that it was called, awarded, converted and is now official.....so yeah, it must have been a penalty.

Posted by: marksman37 | September 6, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I like your logic marksman37.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 6, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Did Tino bait him? Hell yeah.

But the defender took the bait, fouled him, and it was a penalty.

Props to Quaranta for showing some soccer IQ...if the defender had also he would have let Quaranta dribble himself right out of the play.

Posted by: teo_68 | September 6, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

And props to Tino for making a good run to put himself in the position of having the defender behind him.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 6, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

And -- not to over-egg this -- but I think one guy on this team who is supposed to be scoring goals would have seen that pass heading between two Dallas defenders and might not have even bothered to try to get it. More props to Tino. Or maybe at least one single prop.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 6, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I like your logic marksman37.

Posted by: I-270Exit1

I don't get that much 'round these parts.....thanks.

Posted by: marksman37 | September 6, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

...Was that Eduardo?

Posted by: Brokenbil | September 6, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, those stupid, ugly gridiron lines. How I hate that football season has started.

Posted by: ChristopherMc | September 6, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I thought he faked it...but the fall was too awkward.

Posted by: Reignking | September 6, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I thought there was initial contact, but the fall came from him just stubbing his toe and tripping on his own.

Posted by: sitruc | September 6, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

thought he faked it just like montero did with wicks and eduardo did against celtic, but when you are in that position its hard not for the ref to call a pk or a red card.

Posted by: castroviejo | September 6, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Indiana ties Wake Florist on a beautiful team goal. Hoosier in the center spreads it to the left wing, hitting the winger in stride. Winger takes it downfield and draws defenders before releasing it to the overlapping runner. Runner takes a touch to get it just outside the 6 on the left side and strikes it far post.

18' left in the 2nd half on Big 10 Network.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 6, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

As soon as I hit submit, IU defender give it away. Wake crosses it from the left for a diving header into the net.

2-1

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 6, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Well done, Tino. All those days of not acting lie an addict have paid off. You're an Oscar winner now!

Posted by: beach3 | September 6, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I dunno about this one. It looks like there MAY have been toe-heel contact, but it's hard to tell from this angle. The referee's angle was better, but he was very far away.

Posted by: mason08 | September 6, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ChristopherMc | September 6, 2009 3:16 PM |

Exactly. Someday when each MLS team has their own soccer specific stadium, we won't have to look at this crap any more...oh, wait...never mind.

Posted by: Phil_McCracken | September 6, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

There are no such thing as a soccer-specific stadium. What some MLS teams play in is an event-specific stadium.

Posted by: lgm6986 | September 6, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 6, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Why is this the call we are talking about today? It should have been the (cough cough) call made against the US last night. That was much worse than this.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 6, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

After the third slo-mo, don't think it was a penalty, but I can see why the ref called it. On first viewing, and first slo-mo, I thought the Dallas defender clipped Tino and he went down from that. From the third slo-mo, the defender gives a shove in Tino's upper back, and as Tino is already going to ground, their legs get a little tied up. So I don't think Quaranta's leg actually got clipped prior to his falling. Bad call, but entirely understandable--Quaranta felt the physical pressure/push from behind, and went down.

Posted by: macheath | September 6, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beach3 | September 6, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I hardly find going to ground after the 5th time of being hit in the back an Oscar winner, the red card was a bit harsh, certainly if it was a straight red, but all and all it was a deserved penalty.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | September 6, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Yo Steve! Where'd these quotes come from? Did Paul get them, or did talk to Tino yourself?

I mean, you didn't even watch the DCU game did you? Not live anyway right? Neither did I. I was flipping back and forth and saw the initial replay live, and thought Tino had gotten a red card for diving for a second, but then happily took the GTG as we've gotten the turdy end of the stick plenty this year.

Just curious about the context of these quotes. You aren't trying to *Janicki* Tino are you? ;-)

Janicki'in some one is the new throwing someone under the bus btw. At least in my household.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 6, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Q has, by his own admission, joined the ranks of diving cheats. I hate diving, even when committed by a member of the team I support. Disgusting. He dribbled too long, took himself out of shooting angle, and so decides to go down.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 6, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Torres made contact on someone running near top speed in the box. That's how you give away a penalty. If I was a Dallas fan, I'd be more upset at my player for putting himself in a situation where the ref can call something. In MLS and CONCACAF, refs are much more likely to make the dramatic call than to hold off. For better or worse, they don't lack the courage to make themselves part of the story.

It looked to me like Torres clipped his heel, and also made contact with his upper back. Add in the speed they're going, and you've got a call MLS referees are going to make in favor of the attacker.

The red card is what makes it harsh. Quaranta had taken himself out of a likely goalscoring position. The most likely outcome was either Tino losing the ball out of bounds or a desperate, lunging toe poke into Sala, who had the post covered. I can see the call, but not the red card. I view that as a slice of luck in our favor that we wasted, but the penalty doesn't make me feel the slightest tinge of guilt. Quaranta created a situation that Torres handled poorly, and goals happen when defenders make mistakes.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 7, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Tino, next time, no comment, okay? Showing up the ref earns trouble down the road. This is likely the last penalty you get from this guy.

Posted by: bdwooton | September 7, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I have some ratings. They might not be completely thought out (watching over 6 hours of soccer yesterday kind of fried my brain a little), but they're something.

Wicks - 6
Soehn put the 1st goal on him, but I thought it was all James for not attacking the ball. Made a couple decent stops.

Namoff - 6
Didn't start all that well, but got better as the game went on. By the end, he was among the best players on the field.

Simms - 5.5
Rongen wanted to associate his run upfield with the 1st goal, but again James should have handled that with an easy back header. During the 1st half, he looked like our most clued-in defender.

James - 3.5
Burnt on 2 goals and shot off the post. Made some big blocks to boost his rating from Janicki disaster level, but still, this was a discouraging outing.

Burch - 6.5
Obviously did his homework on Sala, who is simply not an MLS keeper. His goal was crucial for our mentality, and when attacked he did OK defensively.

McTavish - 4.5
Anonymous. Soehn made the right call in bringing in Moreno before halftime. We needed more skill, and McTavish was not making a difference.

Olsen - 5.5
Struggled early, but like Namoff he got better. I would have liked to see him take charge of who was going to deal with Ferreira.

Wallace - 5.5
Should have scored early chance, but he also manufactured it out of nothing. Active enough, but lacking central creativity we needed him to add a couple more charges upfield.

Fred - 4.5
With the lowered defensive responsibility the 442 grants him, he should be a reliable danger instead of someone who occasionally might threaten.

Quaranta - 7
Won the penalty, whether you like it or not. He was a consistent threat for Dallas. He seems determined for this team to succeed, and I'd say he's our best player at the moment.

Pontius - 6
Didn't end up involved in too many very dangerous chances, but was always making himself a nuisance. His speed added a dimension to our attack, even if he himself wasn't quite brilliant.

Subs:
Moreno - 6
Not his best showing, but he did convert a needed penalty and brought more people into the game.

Emilio - 5
Put himself about, but Dallas dealt with him intelligently.

Jacobson - NR
Not sure why he came on for Pontius.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 7, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

i was pretty soccered out too, but that is pretty much a spot on assessment of the game Chest

Posted by: wordup1 | September 7, 2009 1:59 AM | Report abuse

DC's been bitten by the refs many times this year, so a little karma is okay with me.

Still, I'd rather see Tino strike the ball than fall down.

Posted by: wichne | September 7, 2009 2:27 AM | Report abuse

The winning Wake goal over Indiana made SportsCenter's Top Plays.

They compared it to Jozy Altidore's the other day.

Posted by: sitruc | September 7, 2009 2:40 AM | Report abuse

yup that is a pk - contact from behind-ish

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | September 7, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

clear penalty. contact from behind on a player running full steam with the ball in the box. it would be fun to have fans experience what its really like to be able to run as fast as these players do and then get a little contact on the leg or shoulder and see how many fans can actually stand on their feet.

Posted by: GraciasRiquelme | September 7, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse