Video: Russian Fan Scores

Admit it: You've been tempted to do this at RFK.....

By Steve Goff  |  September 21, 2009; 11:19 AM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: D.C. United News & Notes

Comments

thats awesome hahhahaha, oh yeah 1ST

Posted by: ThE-BaRRa-BrAvA-KiD | September 21, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

where is security. the rfk folks would have put the beat-down on em!!

Posted by: torrey151 | September 21, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

In before "United should offer that guy a contract."

Posted by: HowdyDCU | September 21, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Good technique. Picked his spot, did not telegraph it to the keeper, and had a fluid run-up.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 21, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

It's Russia they don't care about security

Posted by: MOCker | September 21, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

...and no stutter steps in the run up.

Good thing he didn't try this at the Meadowlands. The NJ state troopers would have made him into a grease stain.

Posted by: mmathai1 | September 21, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

The only run up longer than Blanco!

Posted by: REVS_FAN_1 | September 21, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

fun video until the Nazi salute...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | September 21, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I think he was just waving. Remember, the Nazi PK was saved by Hatch.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 21, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Nice kick.

Posted by: TheJim1 | September 21, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Nice kick.

Posted by: TheJim1 | September 21, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Are we sure this video is legit? I can't imagine we see no one chasing either of the two guys down. I doubt its autheticity.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | September 21, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

In Russia, penalty takes you!

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 21, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

That was hilarious.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | September 21, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Chest: I was going to make a similar joke, but was afraid it would fall on deaf ears.

Posted by: Reignking | September 21, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Did the player make it? If not, he'll probably never hear the end of it...

Posted by: davemcl | September 21, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

security at rfk and the meadowlands more intense than russia? what has our society come to?!?

Posted by: rademaar | September 21, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I was wonder the same thing davemcl. I was going to search but my keyboard does not have those strange symbols show on the video.

Posted by: peridigm | September 21, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

@ peridigm & Dougmacintyre,

It's real. No need to dispute it. It does raise some eyebrows because it really was a nice penalty and he did run around the pitch a bit. But it was shown on Sky Sports.

Here's a link to the Sky highlight:

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | September 21, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Watch it in YouTube:
19.09.2009 Saturn - Spartak Moscow

Spartak's Meschini Alex scored a 52nd minute PK.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 21, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Or you could just read MichaelVann7's comment.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 21, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

very very lol funny.

Posted by: tundey | September 21, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Hope Solo would have made that save.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 21, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Awesome. Sort of wish the clip showed the "real" pk attempt. How do those guys focus and be serious after that?

Posted by: regularfan | September 21, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the GK was laughing too.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 21, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Goal of the Week noms are up at MLSnet. Tough choice - some nice finishes there.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 21, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

That. Was. Beautiful.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 21, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Reignking:

It had to be done. The day I can't respond to anything concerning Russia with a boilerplate Yakov Smirnoff joke is going to be a sad day, indeed.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 21, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I knew I'd seen that guy before:

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 21, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Alex, Brazilian player supposed to take the PK, said in an interview that he could only laugh at the surreal scene. He actually joked with his team mates about letting the goal stand since the guy had done such a good job in taking the PK. :-)

The PK actually had to be taken THREE times as the box was invaded during the 2nd attempt...

Posted by: JP-10 | September 21, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I would try it at RFK these days, as the seriously obese CSC goons in the yellow shirts seem to have been replaced by fit young ment with buzzcuts in green shirts, who look as if they just returned from Iraqistan. Even at my advanced age I think I could outrun the yellows, but the greens would get me for sure.

Posted by: b18bolo | September 21, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

GOALAZOOOOOOO!!!

That was classic!

Posted by: dogboy | September 21, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Nice shot considering the guy's probably right-footed....Hit it fairly solid, without putting it over or wide....but, as was noted, Hope Solo would have made the save.

Posted by: fischy | September 21, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

nice: The Young Ones, Victory, and Yakhov Smirnov references in the Insider. It was a good day...

Posted by: wordup1 | September 21, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

The GK made no effort to stop the shot. He obviously could have stopped it with no trouble had he wanted to. So what's the big deal?

Posted by: shovetheplanet | September 21, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

That is so great! I hadn't thought of it before, but I will think about it at just about every PK I watch live from now onward. Brilliant.

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | September 22, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: shovetheplanet | September 21, 2009 10:41 PM
-------------------------------------------------------

Not only do you have an appalling username, you have no sense of fun or humor.

Posted by: fischy | September 22, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

FYI: Many, many years ago while playing in Germany, my team was awarded a penalty over the strenous objections of the culprit. The referee tried to calm
him down unsuccessfully,and when he placed the ball on the spot, the angry culprit ran up and kicked it into his own net. The ref.blew his whistle:Goal for us!
(I have never seen this repeated)

Posted by: bechtoldpk | September 22, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse