Wednesday Kickaround

*Read my preview of D.C. United's match at RFK against the Kansas City Wizards (7:30 p.m., Comcast SportsNet/DC, Direct Kick) and the USA World Cup qualifier at Trinidad and Tobago (7 p.m., ESPN Classic, GalavisionTelefutura).

*The headline (and story) in the Trinidad Express: "No Surrender"

*Tickets for the USA-Costa Rica qualifier at RFK next month are available today for Visa credit card holders. The general sale begins Thursday. For standard seats, prices range from $35 to $85.

*The RFK game-time forecast from the Capital Weather Gang.

*In Toronto, Danny Dichio's retirement will help clear salary cap space for the signing of midfielder Julian de Guzman, the Canadian international who most recently played for Deportivo de Coruna in La Liga.

*Danish club Nordsjaelland is testing USA defender Michael Parkhurst in midfield. (Awkward translation here.)

*Andy Stadler's hat trick leads George Washington University to a 7-1 victory over UDC.

By Steve Goff  |  September 9, 2009; 8:57 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF , Canada , College Soccer , D.C. United , MLS , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Destination: South Africa
Next: Poll: USA at T&T

Comments

I was a little surprised "irregardless" got past the copydesk in the DC preview. But "awkward translation" perfectly describes moving Parkhurst to a new position.

Posted by: sec133row5 | September 9, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Let's Wicks-stomp on irregardless.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 9, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I second that "irregardless" isn't a word!!!! Goff please don't aide the creep of this word.

Posted by: rsmulvaney1 | September 9, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Irregardless of the recent setbacks, Vamos United! :)

Posted by: croftonpost | September 9, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I blame the outsourced copy editors for "irregardless" and other errors in the POst. Oh yeah, as it was an article on DCu, I also blame Soehn, Emilio, Janicki, and Fred.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 9, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Without any intention to inflame this inflammable (or is it flammable?)
discussion, I submit, from Merriam-Webster online:

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912
nonstandard : regardless

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Posted by: sportsparenttoo | September 9, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the translation. I didn't know that Parkhurst was playing on the North Island of New Zealand. Well, wherever he play on the field on on the globe, I hope he finds a starting spot.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 9, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why, it's a perfectly cromulent word.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 9, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Without wanting to inflame this inflammable (or is it flammable?) discussion, despite the fact (or in spite of the fact) that I don't like the word either, I submit, from Merriam-Webster online:

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912
nonstandard : regardless

Posted by: sportsparenttoo | September 9, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sec133row5 | September 9, 2009 9:07 AM

I was a little surprised the whole article got past the copydesk.

Sure hope the game doesn't end after 930pm. The recap won't make the print edition tomorrow.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | September 9, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Re: Goff's projected lineup

No Bornstein. Good move.

Clark starting. Hmmm, so does this mean no midfield possession or we finish with 10 men?

Posted by: benonthehill | September 9, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

The game tonight is on TELEFUTURA, which is accesible to more viewers than Galavision:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 9, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Steven,

You used the fake word "irregardless" in your article on defensive injuries. Please apologize to the English Language. I mean, you're an editor at the Post for ****'s sake!

Posted by: florifischetti | September 9, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

UDC plays in Division 2, I know they have some T&T u-20 players but overall they don't have a solid program but it is a competitive program for Division 2.

Posted by: godpere | September 9, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

nice zing there godfather

Posted by: VTUnited | September 9, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 9, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

As long as he doesn't date an Australian, things will be fine.

Posted by: Section117 | September 9, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

DC will lose based on the two points Goff makes, defensive vulnerability and lack of offense. This loss will ensure that DC will not make the playoffs and that Soehn will join the ranks of at least five coaches to be replaced the end of this year (Preki,Cummins,Vermes,Osorio/Williams, Hyndman)

You read it here first.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | September 9, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't find the Parkhurst piece on that site, but I did find this important imformation about DCU's sister-side in the Bundesliga:

"The Wolfsburg captain is lucid again

Wolfsburg's leader Josu is ready for fight against Leverkusen after a knee injury has held him out.

If the German masters from Wolfsburg were in doubt about their captain Josu's meaning for the team, they are simply to look at the two latest fights. After the club had won the first two fights, the Brazilian were harmed in it third against Hamburger SV, a fight that Wolfsburg lost with 2-4."

Sounds as if Josu is getting ready to rumble, irregardless of his injury during the last fight. At least, he's lucid now.

Posted by: fischy | September 9, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

"defensive vulnerability and lack of offense."

At least, we have the best MLS fans east of the Mississippi and south of the border.

Posted by: fischy | September 9, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,

I have a question for you. KC does not have a stadium. Is Garber threatening to move them also or is there team making money from their current deal with the stadium they play in?

Posted by: no_recess | September 9, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

On the KC stadium issue.
Work has stopped on the demolition of the site where the new stadium is to be built and the funding money for the entire development that was to have been put there has evaporated.
This franchise is on the ropes. Can you say St. Louis

Posted by: Ruthie1 | September 9, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I thought KC was in the process of building their stadium. Thats why they were using a baseball field for the mean time.

YAY Ill get to watch the USA match!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 9, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

dips, I thought the same. Disappointing news.

Posted by: Reignking | September 9, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy
=================

Josu, Joy of mann's Desiring? Shouldn't he play for Leipzig?

Sorry, I'll Bach off now.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 9, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I always took issue with the word "resiliency." One definition of resiliency I found was "resilience." Why not save yourself a syllable and be done with it?
I guess people will just say what they are going to say irregardless of what the grammar police say about it. *wink*

Posted by: mjhoya12 | September 9, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to hear what everyone thinks on the following subjects?

How many franchises are in genuine trouble, meaning they are either in financial trouble or talent trouble or both ? What is the likely solution?

Where is the talent coming from to field teams at the new franchises launching in Portland, Vancouver and Philly? (USL teams at or near these sites cannot provide all the talent)

What year does the MLS significantly raise the salary cap?

Posted by: Ruthie1 | September 9, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

ON the KC stadium -- There's a link today on Ives' site to a local piece. Apparently, the company that was going to develop the Banneker mall site for the stadium came back to the city asking them to back the bonds. The city won't put its credit rating on the line. However, today's news is that the team is now exploring a site in Kansas City, Kansas, adjacent to a NASCAR speedway. Apparently, the financing for development there is already in place, and the stadium could piggy-back on that. Whether this is real or being used as a negotiating ploy is hard to say.

Posted by: fischy | September 9, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"Where is the talent coming from to field teams at the new franchises launching in Portland, Vancouver and Philly?"

The MLS reserve system.

Posted by: fischy | September 9, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Uh, they raise the salary cap when attendance/viewership doubles and they have the income to pay the salaries?

Or do they raise the cap, get better players, and then the fans come?

Or maybe they raise the cap and attendance is still lame, disirregardless of the better players we're attracting.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 9, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'll Bach off now.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 9, 2009 11:40 AM
-----------------------------------------------------

Hey, I started this. Let me Handel it.

Posted by: fischy | September 9, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ruthie1

None (financially). They aren't franchises that operate independently.

Posted by: Reignking | September 9, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Ok,

Which teams/local investments are in trouble, etc.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | September 9, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Good to know that the Galavision info was wrong. I think I'm still going to tune into the WCQ on ESPN360 now that I know I get it, and watch the DCU match on the TV.
It's going to be a rough night for my wife...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | September 9, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Josu - was he Mendel's son, or that Tele man? The one that lived in the Buxte 'hood?

Posted by: b18bolo | September 9, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Soehn is going down.

I'm not saying that he injured Jakovic or Burch, but our season is over. It is a mess, and I would rather the silver lining be Soehn's head on a platter than the promise of a new season under his direction. This man is not worthy. Get him out of there.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | September 9, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Josu is guy who fixes stuff when they're baroquen.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 9, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I thought he was a baker. Didn't he make a good Pie?

Posted by: OWNTF | September 9, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@Ruthie -- I was joking. There is no MLS reserve system. It seems likely that the expansion over the next 2 seasons will really dilute the talent. All those that argue the USL isn't much below MLS -- especially when you get beyond the top 5 players on each team -- will be more correct than ever.

Posted by: fischy | September 9, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh -- I see you were responding to Reignking. This puts me in mind of the old SNL sketch line which Rachel Maddow pointed out last night really defines all the "arguments" coming from the right these days, "Never mind".

Posted by: fischy | September 9, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice in Goff's projected lineup for the USA game that only 2 players play in MLS and one of those (Clark) is not a regular in the starting 11? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Discuss.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | September 9, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I was a little surprised the whole article got past the copydesk.
Posted by: jayrockers

OUCH! Be nice or Steve might sick Dog of Insider on you!!

I was surprised to see so many people pick on irregardless. My philosophy teacher dinged me for using the word in a paper back in college and I've never used it since.

Posted by: KireDCU | September 9, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

We've drawn the line in the sand on irregardless. Sadly, the barricades guarding against the use of "impact" as a verb have been overrun.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 9, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Time to revisit a classic...

Posted by: DadRyan | September 9, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'll Bach off now.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 9, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Vivaldi puns floating around here, I'm going to Bach up and ask, which one -- JS, JC, CPE, WF, JCF...or PDQ?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 9, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Irregardable, I AARON COPLANing, nobody listens anyway. To be honest, I think think you are all off your RACHMANINOFF.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 9, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF: Close. He makes the cinnamon twists at Pachel Bell.

@SportzNut21: So many Bachs. I'm confugued.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 9, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse