Wednesday Kickaround

*When San Jose visits Colorado tonight (9:30 p.m. ET, Direct Kick), almost every other MLS club will be rooting for the Earthquakes. With just over a month remaining in the regular season and 12 teams stuffed within 13 points of one another in pursuit of eight playoff berths, an outsider like last-place San Jose could ruin a contender's hopes. The Quakes visit D.C. United this weekend, and after facing already-eliminated New York and dying Dallas, they finish on the road against postseason hopefuls Toronto, Chivas USA and Los Angeles.

*Houston seized second place in Group A of the CONCACAF Champions League with a resounding 5-1 rout of Arabe Unido (Panama). ... Puerto Rico's hopes of advancement faded with a 1-1 draw against Saprissa, the second time in a week the Islanders have relinquished a late lead at home. ... Tonight, Columbus (six points) hosts Cruz Azul (seven).

*Americans abroad:
French Cup
F Charlie Davies and Sochaux vs. D Carlos Bocanegra and Rennes
Portuguese Cup
F Freddy Adu and Belenenses at Rio Ave
Sweden
MF Alejandro Bedoya and Orebro vs. Goteborg

*Ghana midfielder Stephen Appiah, a free agent who attracted interest from a few MLS clubs last winter, might be headed back to Italy.

*Comcast SportsNet/Mid-Atlantic will oversee coverage of United's final four league matches, but because of scheduling conflicts, none of those games will actually appear live on the regional station. This Sunday, the Redskins' postgame show takes priority, pushing the DCU match to The Comcast Network. (It's also live on Telefutura.) Next month, Capitals' games receive top billing on CSN, so DCU will appear on TCN (Oct. 3 vs. Chivas USA) and CSN Plus (Oct. 17 vs. Columbus and Oct. 24 at Kansas City). Click here to find TCN on your local cable system.

For the college roundup and big TV schedule.....

*Despite a man advantage for about 72 minutes and lopsided advantages in shots (29-7) and corner kicks (11-1), eighth-ranked Maryland narrowly defeated St. Peter's, 1-0. On Friday night, the Terps (4-1-1) will host No. 2 North Carolina (5-0-1), which needed overtime to edge East Tennessee State, 2-1. ... Virginia's George Gelnovatch, in his 14th season, recorded his 200th career victory as the No. 13 Cavaliers defeated George Washington, 2-1, in overtime to improve to 5-1-0. ... At 8-0-0, Maryland-Baltimore County and longtime coach Pete Caringi are off to their best start ever after edging Loyola (Md.), 1-0.

*Soccer on TV:
Spain, Atletico Madrid-Almeria 2 p.m. ET ESPN Deportes
Spain, Villarreal-Real Madrid 2 p.m. GolTV
Italy, Udinese-AC Milan 2:30 p.m. ET Fox Soccer Channel
Italy, Inter-Napoli 2:30 p.m. (live) Fox Sports Espanol; 5 p.m. (taped) FSC
England League Cup, Manchester United-Wolves 2:45 p.m. Setanta
Spain, Getafe-Valencia 4 p.m. GolTV
Copa Sudamericana, Velez Sarsfield-Espanola 6 p.m. FSE
CONCACAF Champions League, Columbus-Cruz Azul 8 p.m. FSC, Telefutura
Copa Sudamericana, Internacional-U de Chile 8:30 p.m. FSE
MLS, Colorado-San Jose 9:30 p.m. Direct Kick
CONCACAF Champions League, Toluca-San Juan Jabloteh 10 p.m. Telefutura
Friendly, Chivas-Chivas USA 11 p.m. Galavision

By Steve Goff  |  September 23, 2009; 8:33 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , College Soccer , D.C. United , Italy , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad, Dutch Madness, MLS
Next: D.C. United News & Notes

Comments

not happy about the Comcast situation, but they gotta do what they gotta do. ...it just stinks for United and team fans.

Posted by: nairbsod | September 23, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Funny how things work with SJ. Colorado will be going all out for a win against them tonight, but it would be devastating to them if say Joe Cannon got injured in the process. Most of MLS is rooting for SJ tonight, and most of MLS will be rooting for them against DCU again on Sunday.

It's great to see the 3 MLS clubs doing fairly well in the CCL this year. Hopefully this isn't just an off year for the Mexican and central American clubs. We should see MLS teams consistently advancing in this tournament.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 23, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I looked at the link for Appiah and if you notice the second picture it looks like he is a stomper as well.

haha

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 23, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

SI Grammarians,

Whaddaya make of the line in the Houston story:

"...before an announced crowd of 6,938 that was easily half that size. .."

Sounds thematically contradictory, yes?

Better to say something like "...before an announced crowd of 6,938 that was perhaps half that size..." or even "...before an announced crowd of 6,938 that struggled to achieve half of that number..."

Great story about the win, irregardless...

Posted by: 22206no1 | September 23, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

No TCN for Fairfax County. Oh well, I'll be at the games, anyway, but it's always nice to watch the match later to see what I missed.

Posted by: DrBeaker | September 23, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Chivas - Chivas USA should be interesting, wonder what kind of lineup Preki will trot out there, hopefully a decent one to make it competitive.

Posted by: PEddy | September 23, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | September 23, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

We need to put our very best lineup on the pitch tomorrow night and go for the win! Here's my starting 11:
In Goal: Crippled Keeper
Right Back: Jay ("Thanks! for starting me" Rockers)
Left Back: Reignking
Central Defenders: I-270 Exit 1 (Scholar Athlete from National Review University) and Fischy (the liberal libero)
Midfielders: Chest Rockwell, Jacob from Atlanta-ish, Bonghits for Gomez, Joel M. Lane
Forwards: OWNTF and Delantero

Support Staff: Chest Rockwell--player/coach
Minister of Propaganda: Goff
Minister of Concessions: DadRyan
Minister of Medicine and Hernia Prevention: Joe Doc
Minister of Finance: Dimesmakesdollars
General Manager: Black and Red Devil (specializing in hostile takeovers and overseas player acquisitions)
Minister of Ministry: DC Army
May the Lord have mercy on our souls!

Posted by: dcarmy | September 23, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"For any fan that bought a new Notts' shirt and had 'Campbell' printed on the back, I am pleased to offer a voucher for the club shop for a replacement shirt."

The agreement with Campbell should include a clause for him to buy back the jerseys. Really, didn't he realize that this was Notts Co. in League 2?

Thanks Kev29

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 23, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Villarreal are off to an awful start, and playing RM in Pelligrini's return today isn't going to help. At least it is at home. On the bright side, Raul and Benzema are being rotated out -- for Guti, Granero, and HiguaĆ­n. For Villarreal, Ibagaza is out (for 6 weeks) and Senna (and Nilmar) are questionable. Without Senna, this team doesn't get very far.

The Return of Convey! No parades scheduled?

I expect Adu to play today -- as a "right winger".

Appiah is a strange story -- even Adu has played more than he has.

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Kamani Hill may play today -- he made the roster.

Apparently, he is just "Kamani" now :)

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I expect Adu to play today -- as a "right winger".

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 9:40 AM

Careful now - he couldn't get a match in the Cup that French people don't care about. No guaranty he gets a game in the Cup that Portuguese people don't care about ;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | September 23, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Bocanegra not on today's roster, so that he can rest.

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Ah, my favorite time of year. I get to watch the early hopes of Deadskin fans across the metro area blossom into a frenzy before inevitably crashing into mediocrity. Sweet.

It does bite for United. Comcast should be called out on it . . a post-game show and early season Caps games take priority over a home team's playoff run? Sad.

Posted by: delantero | September 23, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | September 23, 2009 9:52 AM

Umm, that's what our seasons are starting to look like as well. Well, without the "early hopes" bit.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 23, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Ah, but he has played in the Portugguese Cup before (and done well)...

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

@dcarmy. Many thanks. I really needed those laughs this morning.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 23, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

delantero: it is nice, isn't it? If St. Gibbs couldn't help, who can?

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and I'm never on the left. More on thr right, but I tend to float towards the center more often than not.

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

dcarmy: Who rocks the Ben Olsen intimidation beard?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 23, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Reignking and Jacob: I pray you guys aren't really "floating" on the Hootch this morning. We're fairly dry (in the midst of 100% humidity) here at Fort Benning.

Posted by: dcarmy | September 23, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I fell asleep during the Islanders game. Woke up for 10 seconds to see Houston already up by 2 goals. For those who watched the Hosuton game, I'm curious. Did the previous games extensive discipline seem to have any bearing on the way the game was played by either team?

Posted by: spata1 | September 23, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Jacob: DadRyan strikes me as a guy who might have a beard--we'll have to borrow his or just put him in the second half.

Posted by: dcarmy | September 23, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

What's TCN?

Posted by: sitruc | September 23, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Minister of Medicine and Hernia Prevention: Joe Doc

Does this mean I get to open an office in Germany, dcarmy?

Two words of advice to the team: Ibuprofen, and stretch!

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 23, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

dcarmy: I'm stunned everything hasn't floated down to Columbus and put that under water. Check out ajc.com today for a radar image of where the most rain fell -- no surprise that Paulding County got the worst of it. My area had no problems, despite being near the river.

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

What's TCN?

Posted by: sitruc | September 23, 2009 10:22 AM

The Comcast Network? Junky channel sometimes known as CN8 - channel 8 on most Comcast systems. Not sure if it's even available if you have Cox, FIOS, DirecTV, etc... As they say, check your local listings.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 23, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Terp's finishing was really poor last night. We had a couple of one-on-one's with the keeper that we wasted. And we couldn't get a clean header in the box on our crosses.

I gotta imagine Sasho will be emphasizing finishing in his drills before the NC game.

Posted by: M__N | September 23, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I am still so frustrated about the result of last night's Puerto Rico-Saprissa game that I am ready to spit sparks.

That is twice--in Bayamon, no less-- that Islanders failed to get the three points. Failed to keep possession. Failed to manage the result. Just plain failed.

It was the second time in two weeks that I was so freaking furious and frustrated that I didn't sleep well. I just kept thinking about the points that dropped...

The players are going to have to get over it. Today they fly to Rochester for the away leg of the first round of the USL1 playoffs.

Man, was I hot...

Posted by: yankiboy | September 23, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and I can play on the field.

Anywhere on the right, of course. And I'm no Fred, or Reignking -- you won't find me drifting to the center. Staying wide right is what I do!

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 23, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I feel bad for you yankiboy. You experience the same frustration with two separate teams. But none of it is worth losing sleep over. Have a rum-and-caffeine-free-coke after the game and get some shut eye.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 23, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I don't see TCN in my FIOS channel line-up...this is gonna suck.

Posted by: soccerman | September 23, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Yeah dcarmy, I'm nice and dry. I'm in gwinnett, and in a part of it that didn't really flood too bad. My neighborhood creek looked like a full on river monday, but other than that, no problems. Glad to hear you guys are safe.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 23, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

as Minister of Finance, i am happy to finally have a platform for whinging about the MLS salary cap and the lack of control that DCUnited has over the revenue at RFK. rest assured that i am working on a stadium financing plan and it remains my highest priority. and i have no comment on the rumors that i plan to build that stadium in Brooklyn and move the team up here.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | September 23, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

United takes a L with the Comcast thing. Anyone know is that impacts the MLS TV online option for us folks who are "away"?

Posted by: FatSickBoot | September 23, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I believe Appiah is headed to Italy when I actually see him playing in Serie A. His saga has dragged on way to long. He's been linked to every club under the sun for over a year and hasn't played expect for his run outs with Ghana. As much talent as he has I'd be skeptical given he hasn't played club football for over a year. Appiah really didn't show urgency finding a club did he?

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | September 23, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I haven't seen this addressed yet, and maybe its no big deal, but my understanding is that all the border crossings and international air ports in Honduras are closed. Is Marathon here? Are they going to be able to get here for the match tomorrow?

Posted by: mofozzie | September 23, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Huh, we really haven't heard anything about that coup, have we?

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc: I think the German market is saturated with hernia doctors. I suggest opening an office in San Diego. As for you getting on the field, I will defer to Chest when he checks in--after all, he's the coach and I'm just the designated prayer.

Reignking and Jacob: I'll start building the ark--just in case.

dimesmakesdollars: please send money!

Posted by: dcarmy | September 23, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | September 23, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

DCU is actually looking a lot like the Redskin teams of ten years ago (Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, etc). They have overpaid for a number of over the hill players. At least the Redskins are now spending their money on younger legs (Haynesworth, Hall, draft picks etc).

Comcast is making a business decision. As much as I love United their ratings are dwarfed by the Redskins and Capitals, who right now garner the highest ratings in town to include the Wizards and Nationals. By the way, be ready for a Capitals frenzy and it won't crash into mediocrity. Instead, it may end with some sipping from a Cup.

I will never understand the hostility that exists between fans of different sports. If the Nats would have been here when I was a child (O's fan), then I would be a fan of every team in town. It's all good.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 23, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

The DCU twitter said Marathon drove 8 hours into Guatemala to get to an airport and will be arriving later today.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 23, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

It's cold and wet in denver; be in the 40's around game time and probably raining. Should make for some interesting bounces.....

Posted by: hacksaw | September 23, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 23, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, they arrive completely taxed and not ready to play tomorrow evening.

Posted by: rushiswhacked | September 23, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

It's not just soccer fans who dislike CSN's pre-empting for Skins postgame. Virginia Tech fans who wanted to watch Hokie Playback on Sunday were also disappointed by CSN. CSN left Hokie Playback (which was already edited and condensed) with just under 2 minutes remaining in the game for Redskins postgame. For those who watched the Virginia Tech-Nebraska football game on Saturday, you may know there was an unlikely VT comeback with under 2 minutes to go that included an 81-yard pass play and a TD with little time remaining on the clock. VT fans weren't happy and didn't appreciate the response regarding priority audience.

Posted by: sitruc | September 23, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

As long as it is on TV, I'm happy. I imagine I have this secondary channel since Comcast is my provider but if not, we still have Telefutura.

Of course, I could just attend in person...

Posted by: troy6 | September 23, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Will both Chivas teams wear the red and white striped jerseys?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 23, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

sitruc: well, that's one good thing that came of it ;)

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Local boy does good, from the Dynamo game:

"Then it was Holden with the brace, with a header off a Mullan ball and the wide-open 15-yarder off a nice dish by Abe Thompson, who made his Dynamo debut since joining the team last week."

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 23, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

yankiboy:

Oddly enough, in my opinion Puerto Rico was unlucky. They dictated how the game was being played, they had the better chances, and they did it without the normal all-out bunker that I have criticized in the past. It's a shame they gave up that late goal to Watson (or Waston, if you're FSC and insist on believing the team sheet your intern typed up over seeing the name "Watson" on the guy's shirt).

It's a shame they had to rest regulars due to the quick turnaround for the playoffs. With Arrieta in his normal position and someone like Delgado tracking back on the left, I have to wonder if that cross comes in or is met by someone so unmarked.

***

We're going to put bonghits4gomez in the midfield? It doesn't sound like he has the lung capacity.

joedoc starts if he's willing to kick Convey all day long and hassle him about his "bronchitis" (I guess you get bronchitis from the UK work permit approval people as a parting gift?). Since he's a staunch conservative, I doubt this will be a problem.

I can't grow a beard anywhere near as impressive as Olsen's without at least 2 weeks advance notice, so maybe someone else can step up there.

As for strategy, we'll mostly be relying on insults. Anyone not calling Cannon "Joe Bazooka" will be subbed off immediately.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 23, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

chest: I disagree -- he has "gomez" in the name, and he obviously breathes deeply quite often.

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Sources close to Sven Goran Eriksson have disclosed to ESPNSoccernet that Sol Campbell suffered "an unpleasant reality check" in his first game for Notts County. A 2-1 defeat at Morecambe looks to have been a major factor behind Campbell's decision.

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@ joedoc: Abe played all 90, and pretty well at that. He did miss a couple of difficult chances and failed to pull the trigger when open near the spot late. The FSC color announcer was very critical of his finishing ability and said he lacked confidence stemming from his time at KC. Hopefully, Kinnear willcontinue to use him and he'll be back in top form soon.

Posted by: soccerman | September 23, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

OT: Joan Jett's performing for protest groups in Pittsburgh today. Also, Greenpeace activists reportedly are hanging from at least one bridge (by their hands, BaRRD, by their hands...)

Fischy, should I look for you among the throng today?

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 23, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Breaking News:

When ousted Honduran President Manuel Zelaya learned that the World Cup qualifier against the United States (which had been slated for October 10) would be broadcast only in US bars that cater to a Latino clientele, he declared it "a poor business model" and decried the overt corruption of the new regime. He further decided to re-invade his home country to, in his words "watch the [expletive] game from the Brazilian embassy which ... is a place where they really [expletive] care about the things that matter most".

Posted by: WorldCup | September 23, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Since Campbell cannot sign with a Premier League team until the January window, perhaps a loan to an MLS team can be hastily arranged? I can think of one team, playing in the nation's capital and playing in international tournaments, that is absolutely desperate for healthy, talented players on the back line. I know the MLS roster deadline has passed, but we're talking about Sol Campbell here. I'm sure there is a by-law exception for Sol Campbell.

Posted by: fischy | September 23, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, Soccerman. My page isn't refreshing very often, so I missed your post...

Abe not shooting? That's not the Abe I know. I hope he gets that confidence back, because he can be a great asset for Houston.

Chest: as a conservative, I will only kick Convey if he's on the ground, wheezing and begging for the dirty, polluted air that I am causing with my carbon footprint that will be firmly planted on his chest.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 23, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

@joedoc -- If I'd known Joan Jett was performing.....

and for you Orioles fans, a brief salute at 1:15

Posted by: fischy | September 23, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

For some reason this story found its way onto my toolbar -- I guess a year ago. Just noticed it, for obvious subconscious reasons. Worth revisiting as we ponder DC United's current troubles:

Also, time for me to delete the link.

Posted by: fischy | September 23, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I bet everyone (if there was anyone?) who bought a Gallardo 10 jersey last year would've loved to have this deal

Posted by: carmines757 | September 23, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

So, if we have Direct Kick, can we see the games live? That is the question...

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | September 23, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

No beard growing capabilities here.If I was to pick one MLS/USMNT player who's facial hair most resembles my own it would probably be Sacha Kljestan. Seriously would take me two weeks to grow a moustache that would still only look like a 16 year old Philipino kid's...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | September 23, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

So, if we have Direct Kick, can we see the games live? That is the question...

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | September 23, 2009 2:59 PM

As an alternative, you could actually go to the games at RFK. I hear good seats are still available.

Thx,