Early Wednesday Kickaround

Read about .....

D.C. United's goalkeeping situation heading into tonight's Champions League match against San Juan Jabloteh at RFK Stadium.

George Mason's upset of third-ranked Maryland.

A Tico receiving a two-year suspension.

Columbus's late letdown against Saprissa in the Champions League, which denied, for the moment, the Crew's passage to the quarterfinals. Watch Saprissa's equalizer.

*MLS tonight: New England at Dallas.....but not at the remote Park of Pizza. Instead, FCD will actually play in Big D (7 p.m. ET, Direct Kick) as part of a doubleheader with the Mexico-Colombia friendly (9:30 ET, Telemundo). So, you think the MLS team will apply the overall attendance toward its dismal season average?

*Speaking of attendance, we might be counting the RFK turnout tonight on our fingers and toes. DCU's first two group matches at home averaged 7,000, but supporters of the visiting teams (Toluca and Marathon) provided a boost. Jabloteh? Not so much. And after United's abysmal performance Sunday, there's not exactly a rush to see this club right now.

*Americans abroad:
Yesterday
D Frank Simek in 18, didn't play in Sheffield Wednesday's 0-0 tie at Crystal Palace
F Mike Grella in 18, didn't play in Leeds' 1-1 tie vs. Carlisle
MF Jemal Johnson 54 in MK Dons' 2-1 loss at Oldham
MF DaMarcus Beasley not in 18 for Rangers' 4-1 loss to Sevilla
Today
D Oguchi Onyewu and AC Milan vs. Zurich
MF Jose Francisco Torres and Pachuca at Houston

For the TV listings.....

*Soccer on TV:
U-20 World Cup, Brazil-Czech Republic 12:30 p.m. Galavision
Euro Champions League, Manchester United-Wolfsburg 2:30 p.m. FSC
Euro Champions League, Real Madrid-Marseille 2:30 Fox Sports Espanol (5 p.m. FSC)
Euro Champions League, Apoel-Chelsea 2:30 p.m. Setanta
MLS, Dallas-New England 7 p.m. Direct Kick
Copa Sudamericana, Cienciano-San Lorenzo 7 p.m. FSE
CONCACAF Champions League, D.C. United-Jabloteh 8 p.m. FSC
CONCACAF Champions League, Pumas-W Connection 8 p.m. Telefutura
Copa Sudamericana, U de Chile-Internacional 9 p.m. FSE
Friendly, Mexico-Colombia 9:30 p.m. Telemundo
CONCACAF Champions League, Houston-Pachuca 10 p.m. FSC, Galavision

By Steve Goff  |  September 30, 2009; 12:53 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , CONCACAF Champions League , College Soccer , Costa Rica , D.C. United , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA U-20s Win, 4-1
Next: USA Roster Outlook

Comments

Re-posting from the last thread (don't you hate people who do that?):

My afternoon/evening tomorrow: Health Care rally @ White House; Nats baseball game; and DC United soccer game. 8 hours, door-to-door. The ultimate DC experience?

Posted by: fischy | September 30, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

That was some fine officiating on that free kick in Columbus. 9 out of 10 times the ref blows a whistle for an infraction by the attacking side on a corner or free kick, it's for some marginal contact in the middle of the scrum and I see nothing. How did the refs miss the goal-scorer shoving and knocking over the Crew defender? I guess they were looking in the middle of the scrum, instead of following the ball?

Posted by: fischy | September 30, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

" Jabloteh? Not so much. And after United's abysmal performance Sunday, there's not exactly a rush to see this club right now."
--Goff

Firstly, I'd like to thank Mr. Goff for providing the night-owls with some new info. It's been a while, so thanks.
Secondly, I got a good laugh from the quoted line. I was thinking the same thing before I read it. Shall we have a prediction contest and whomever is closest gets something special (Pride?)...

My prediction: 1,700

Posted by: redskinsux | September 30, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

AS you say Steve no rush to see this club play, even if I could make it to RFK. Alas, duty calls and I cannot leave work until 10pm. I will DVR it and hopefully not be as hugely disappointed as I was on Sunday afternoon. I do expect a strong L/U and a convincing win but, I'm not sure anymore what the goals of the palyers on this team are......so perhaps a flop is in the works??

Posted by: marksman37 | September 30, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

(Do we find out what the actual attendance is or is it based on how many tickets are sold?)

Posted by: redskinsux | September 30, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Can't comment on the accuracy of MLS attendances--although they wouldn't be the first league to inflate numbers--but based on reported numbers, the 'dismal' attendance this year is actually 4th best in the history of the league, and only a 4% drop from last year. For comparison, Major League Baseball is down about 6.5%, the largest decline since the 1950s.

Posted by: mabindurham | September 30, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Health care, Nats and United, wow, you like to support lost causes, don't you?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | September 30, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

I hope I'm not coming across as a jerk...but Mr. Goff, remember that Maurice Edu also plays for Rangers.

Posted by: carolinadave616 | September 30, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

This could be a good opportunity to see what Kocic is made of. He does not seem like he is 6'4 and I have not been impressed by his play.

Posted by: no_recess | September 30, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Another reason to gripe about FSC's coverage of UEFA Champions League. If the matches were on ESPN2 I'd be able to watch on the plane to Hawaii. Wonder if Continental gets FSC...
Aloha!

Posted by: DadRyan | September 30, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the coverage of college matches.
Might well be the most exciting local matches for years to come. Certainly more bang for the buck.

Posted by: footballfan9 | September 30, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Beating Maryland is Patriot(ic), it seems.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 30, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I will also not be able to make this mid-week match at RFK. I have other commitments that make it difficult to attend.

I do appreciate the club for giving plan holders the ability to come to the game for free. However, I have other plans that I cannot change. This is in no way a slight to DC United or how they do business. However, I would like my refusal to alter my schedule so as to attend to be a message to MLS - expand the cap and improve the product.

Additionally - to Mr. Jack Warner - other than the Club World Cup, what does the CCL award clubs? What are the various pay-outs for participation in the group stage, knock-out rounds, semifinals, finals? I don't think the other clubs are as well compensated for participation either. Also, CONCACAF has done NO promotion of these events.

I guess like many other DCU fans I'm in quiet funk related to lack of results, lack of stadium, and lack of positive growth announcements from MLS (well this last one I figured would be quiet as MLS is doing everything they can to be the paupers before the Players Union).

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 30, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: carolinadave616 | September 30, 2009 8:04 AM

He's also been out with a knee injury for about 500 straight matches. Steve can't list every guy with a long term injury in the Yanks round-up, though I'm sure he'll let us know when he's ready to play again.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 30, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Beating Maryland is Patriot(ic), it seems.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 30, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

-----------------

Terps have been playing better than expected this season. Remember we had four MLS-ready kids drafted (I don't remember where our fifth wound up). We've got a young squad and if we can get a couple of wins in the tourney this year I think it will make us better for next year.

That said, congrats to Mason, I think additional parity is good for this area as long as I don't hear or see the words "Mason Nation" anywhere.

Posted by: M__N | September 30, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

AC Milan v Zurich isn't going to be televised? I thought they were planning to show all group stage matches

Posted by: Solnoir | September 30, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

dadryan, and if you were on airtran, you could get wireless, and watch on your laptop. Of course, my battery lasts 2 minutes, so I wouldn't see much.

Posted by: Reignking | September 30, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

jetblue I flew last november had Gol TV or was it setanta??

regardless it was sweet!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | September 30, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Solnoir | September 30, 2009 9:19 AM

It's on DirecTV. All bars with DTV will get it.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 30, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Full Champs League TV listings for this afternoon...

Would be the best day to have access to DirecTV's 5 bonus matches.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 30, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

jetblue I flew last november had Gol TV or was it setanta??

regardless it was sweet!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | September 30, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Nice, jet blue gets better tv than I do....sad....

I do have a question, why is a steroid, used to stop inflamation, giving Hurtado a two year suspension? Seem's a bit over agressive, maybe?

Posted by: dogboy | September 30, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

MLS attendence figures are nothing short of a lie. Teams routinely factor into their reports the attendence generated by the doubleheader in which they are by no means the main attraction. The term "attendence" itself is misleading, as the number reported is not the number of those who "attend," but it is a work of art of team execs deciding what to report, using the number of comps, tickets distributed, and other estimates. Attendence figures in MLS have as much meaning as the second assist.

Not wholly unrelated, when is SUM going to stop making MLS teams the New Riders of The Purple Sage to the Mexico's (or other popular countries') Grateful Dead? It's embarrassing to see MLS teams offered up as the opening act for these more attractive national teams and playing in front of no one. It's not far to the players of the MLS teams to be second fiddle in these empty atmospheres. It just proves once again that MLS is a division of SUM.

Posted by: lgm6986 | September 30, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"mabindurham...I read Steve's comment as being about FC Dallas the team, not MLS the league."

Absolutely correct. I gotta stop posting so early in the morning...

Posted by: mabindurham | September 30, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lgm6986 | September 30, 2009 10:05 AM

But in those double-headers, fans pay to attend both matches. Two matches are figured into the price. Every sport in America uses 'paid attendance' - why should MLS be any different?

Posted by: Kev29 | September 30, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Kev29: re: Edu's injury, he may be too injured to play, but he's apparently not too injured to *play* -- at least if the story at the link below is to be believed.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | September 30, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

@Kev29,

What you said re: attendance.

The biggest attendance fraud EVER is found under George Shinn, Owner, New Orleans Hornets pre-Katrina.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 30, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

My afternoon/evening tomorrow: Health Care rally @ White House;--Fischy

For heaven's sake, man, don't go getting yourself arrested! We may need you tonight on the left wing...

Posted by: dcarmy | September 30, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

To Kev29:

Yes, you're right; every other league uses paid attandence, and that is wrong as well. Any use of the word "attendence" is wrong as it does not represent the number of person who "attend." A more truthful, but less preferred, term would be "tickets distributed." MLS is fundamentally a disengenuous entity and these "attendence" figures are just a reflection of that.

Posted by: lgm6986 | September 30, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

MLS attendence figures are nothing short of a lie.

Posted by: lgm6986 | September 30, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

So is pretty much every sport in the US save for the NFL.

I bet United outdraws the Nats' day game today, yet the Nats report a higher number. But no one here will rail against MLB as an institution.

Sometimes I think "soccer fans" only want a league here in the states so they have something to complain about.

Posted by: beach3 | September 30, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Is Comcast SportsyNet not showing any UCL games today?

Posted by: Juan-John | September 30, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beach3 | September 30, 2009 10:32 AM

OK, now that's a bit of an exaggeration. United will probably have about 2,500 people through the turnstiles tonight. The Nats might be awful and the stands might be thin, but they'll have 10k come into the park for the last home game of the season - even if it is a crappy afternoon against the crappy Mets.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 30, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Is Comcast SportsyNet not showing any UCL games today?

Posted by: Juan-John | September 30, 2009 10:34 AM

They get one per week and used that for Arse-Olympiacos yesterday.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 30, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Play at the SoccerPlex!

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | September 30, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: M__N | September 30, 2009 9:15 AM
================

Then what does "M_N" stand for?

:-)

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 30, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Wolfsburg vs ManU is on Fox Soccer Channel at 2:30. Terrific match-up!

Great result last night. Go Patriots!

Posted by: croftonpost | September 30, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Panama Red, Panama Red,
He'll steal your woman then he'll rob your head.
Panama Red, Panama Red.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 30, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

@Juan-John,

They have the tape of yesterday's Rangers vs Sevilla match tonight at 5 or 7.

After my rumbling yesterday, I've sent out a communication to Fox and am going to attempt to contact some more senior folks at Comcast today about any plans for FSC-HD to be added to our lineups in 2010. I'm still reserving ALL judgement of Fox's handling of UCL until the spring. However, if FSC-HD does not appear on my listing and knowing that I won't be getting any of FSC's OTHER content in HD will REALLY make me upset that I'm experiencing a net decline in matches seen on TV in HD

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 30, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: M__N | September 30, 2009 9:15 AM
================

Then what does "M_N" stand for?

:-)

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 30, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

----------

Touche. Just my initials though.

Posted by: M__N | September 30, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Quiet funk?

I've been lost now, days uncounted,
And it's months since I've seen home.
Can you hear me, can you hear me,
Or am I all alone.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 30, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Mexico pulled it's bid for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups citing the cost.

Posted by: thrh1 | September 30, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday was the five-year anniversary of what I consider the reason for why DCU doesn't have a new, modern stadium: the official announcement of the move of the Expos from Montreal to Washington. This isn't a screed against baseball -- I'm a Nats fan (20-game plan holder; went last night) and DCU fan (full-season-ticket holder; will be there tonight, small attendance notwithstanding). It's just a shame that MLB screwed DCU's chances of ever getting a new stadium...

Posted by: Juan-John | September 30, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | September 30, 2009 11:25 AM

I don't disagree that the Nats stadium kerfuffle has hurt our stadium chances post-Poplar Point. But this theory kind of lets Fenty off the hook a bit too much. He killed Poplar Point because he thought it would put heat on him from the perspective that it was too big an award to one developer (MacFarlane) - it was not necessarily a stadium issue.

The economy has been a giant factor post-Poplar Point as well. It's also been a big factor for Nats Park's lackluster first two years.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 30, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

@Kev29,

Don't blame the economy on the Nats Park performance. That's letting that franchise off the hook too much. They were terrible in Montreal, terrible in Puerto Rico, made a decent introduction to DC, and then went back to being TERRIBLE! Also, DC's still just not a baseball city. The only reason MLB is here is for the free stadium. That franchise can suck at the gate forever before MLB really cares. And heck, the Orioles get to continue to make money off their tv rights for how long? Have the Lerner's still failed to pay rent on that place? Is it still a battle in court over "substantially complete"?

Actually - here's an idea for DC United - may be used by Tottenham and while it may be tough to pitch this idea to Mrs. BlueBlood, if it helped get a stadium built and gave me the rights to the seats for any concert or other event held there - could really be worth it!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 30, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

That's letting that franchise off the hook too much.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 30, 2009 12:08 PM

I definitely agree there, VBB. But, from a pure civics based standpoint, the economy has really hurt the ancillary development around the stadium. Which has hurt the rationale (in hindsight) for building it. I'm not one to let the Lerners off the hook - and don't - but the ghost town surrounding the stadium hasn't helped the team's ability to draw. Along with the reasons you mention.

I think we can all agree here that there are a myriad of issues that contribute to United's clusterf--k of a stadium scenario - as well as the 'Nats FAIL' (so far). There's only one bottom line though - United are still not even remotely close to a new stadium :-(

Posted by: Kev29 | September 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | September 30, 2009 10:23 AM
------------------------------------------------------

For me, the most interesting aspect of the Scottish story was the persistent use of the word "soccer", not football. Is that common in Scotland, or is it because the story is about an American?

Posted by: fischy | September 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess | September 30, 2009 8:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you on all points. He plays smaller than 6'4", his "hands" have not been good, he struggles on reactions to balls played into the box, and his positioning has been suspect. 24 is young for a 'keeper, and he has time to grow. Still, he's only a year and half younger than Wicks. Watching them play, Kocic seems like a kid fresh out of college compared to Wicks, who plays like an experienced pro -- which is consistent with their resumes.

Posted by: fischy | September 30, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Also, DC's still just not a baseball city.
Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood
================

O?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 30, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey DadRyan? Did you go on your trip yet?

@VBB: Can;t wait for the stadium-seat mortgage-backed derivative market to take off.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 30, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The reason we don't have a stadium is because nobody is looking at the metropolis of Haymarket as an option.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 30, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

See ya at RFK tonite.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 30, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Just like any other city, people don't go to see awful teams.

Posted by: Reignking | September 30, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

And it emerged this week that Edu was embarrassingly caught out by Celtic pranksters, who tricked him into giving a "shout out" to Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams on Ustream web site.
==================

Now THAT part of the Edu article is funny. Perhaps his college work was overweighted toward "communications" -- of the sort he had with the "journalist" -- and wee bit lite on history . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | September 30, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

As someone who is going, I'm looking on the bright side of the attendence issue. Less fans per Beer Man. I might get my own personal guy camped out next to my chair. I'll tell him to run a tab and I'll tip at the end.

Thinking many beers may be necessary . . .

Posted by: regularfan | September 30, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | September 30, 2009 12:17 PM

It's more common in sh*trags like News of the World. Seriously, 'red tops' just use "soccer" to break up the monotony in their poorly written articles.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 30, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1,

Exactly! Could you imagine the futures on Redskins seats right now? Or how about the Oct. 31st's for United Playoffs?!?!

You know the ideas for Cal, Kansas, and Spurs came from some I-Banker staring no bonus or unemployment in the face!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 30, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Dallas is playing at the Cotton Bowl again? Isn't that like DC United not playing at their new stadium in PG County for a one-game return to RFK?

Wait, that second part hasn't happened... yet...

Stupid time space continuum...

Posted by: IamAM | September 30, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse