Weekend TV Listings

What are you going to watch?
FRIDAY

Argentina, River Plate-Colon 5 p.m. FSE
Mexico, Club America-Tecos 6 p.m. Telefutura
MONDAY
Scotland, Falkirk-Aberdeen 2:40 p.m. Setanta

By Steve Goff  |  September 10, 2009; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Brazil and Bahrain
Next: Drivers Wanted: Mike Ammann

Comments

First! Whooo!

I'll be watching Liverpool v Burnley for sure.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | September 10, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

will dvr jozy and clint

mr adu plays at benfica this weekend if I am not mistaken

Posted by: OWNTF | September 10, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Gijon-Almeria?!?! Oh that's awful. I guess I'll be watching Chris Berman.

Posted by: Reignking | September 10, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Colombia, Pereira-Once Caldas, Twice Shy, baby... 10 p.m. GolTV

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 10, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

that's probably not the glamor match-up that espn had in mind for their la liga opener.

Posted by: stairs | September 10, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsux | September 10, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Spurs-Manchester United baby!!

Glory Glory Man United....

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | September 10, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Definitely would like to the Spurs-Man Utd. match. The Man City-Arsenal match, alas, is on Setanta. Maybe I'll find some bootleg coverage....

I was going to RFK for the Soundees match, but I think I'll turn in my ticket and watch the free opera on the big screen from the infield at Nats Park, instead. So, I'll watch a recording of the DCU match.

On Sunday, I'll watch the Yanks clash in the Fulham-Everton tilt, assuming Dempsey has recovered from his hangover/swine flu/stroke that so profoundly affected his play last night.

Posted by: fischy | September 10, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

That's the worst thing I've ever read on this blog, fischy. Opera over soccer.

Posted by: Reignking | September 10, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

On Sunday I'll watch the Everton-Fulham game then the Redskins game!

Posted by: spikeman | September 10, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

On Sunday, ESPN 360 has the Belenenses v. Benfica game.

Posted by: Metzengerstein | September 10, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

On Sunday, ESPN 360 has the Belenenses v. Benfica game.

Posted by: Metzengerstein | September 10, 2009 5:31 PM
------------------------------------------------------

Interesting. So do both teams report that Adu is "not in the 18"?

Posted by: fischy | September 10, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

@redskinssux -- That photograph should be the answer any time someone asks "Why can't DC United keep playing at RFK?"!!!

Posted by: fischy | September 10, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Hmm....I have always been a big proponent of RFK. Admittedly, it needs to be redone at some point.

I guess my main point is that its a great location with tried and true in place logistics. Tear down. play somewhere else for a year and play in the newly rebuilt rfk.

Posted by: wordup1 | September 10, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

...and its in DC.

surely its complicated with trying to lure the skins back.

*******************************
all i know is the orange bowl was similar to rfk and their only main tenant left was the Hurricanes (mba 04 woo hoo!) and they dropped the ball on that and now the 'canes play in some soulless megastadium that is completely inconvenient for students and people who actually live in miami and not wherever the hell middle of nowhere they play now

Posted by: wordup1 | September 10, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

So, I'm very openly looking forward to visiting a stadium where I could literally drop into the pits of it walking around next month? I must really love the team I'm going to see.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 10, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

@wordup -- It's a great location...for a football stadium. A soccer stadium doesn't need to be nearly so large -- both in height and footprint. And, frankly, the team wouldn't want a stadium that is more than half the size of RFK.

It's been my brilliant argument that the team would be well-served with a smaller soccer-specific stadium adjacent to and probably sharing parking with a football stadium. I also believe that the city would be thrilled with the idea if it made it possible to lure the Redskins back. This would require a measure of cooperation between the teams and long-term coordination in scheduling. Perhaps the DCU FO thinks that would prove to be unworkable, or maybe they just don't like the site...or maybe they are scared off by the cost and extent of the environmental remediation that would be necessary before any new building could be done there. For whatever reason, they want to relocate, not rebuild (or build something new, next door).

Posted by: fischy | September 10, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Today's NYT crossword puzzle: 19 across, I kid you not, was IRREGARDLESS! (the theme was errors in speech).

While interviewing his normal wide range of contacts, Goff must have chatted with Will Shortz and found out about today's puzzle. He then cleverly inserted the mistake into a story to prepare us, sacrificing his own public esteem for our benefit.

That's what I choose to believe anyway.

Posted by: troy6 | September 10, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

attendance prediction for saturday? DCU FO claims they are expecting around 20,000... i really hope so if i decide to drive up

Posted by: rademaar | September 10, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

fischy-

I'm at the point now where if I start to critically think about our stadium situation I get very annoyed and depressed. It pains me to see D.C.U. play there so I'll just leave it at that.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 10, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Here is something that would enhance the experience at RFK, the 'Plex, and elsewhere, if it were offered:

Posted by: universityandpark | September 10, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I trust that this is part of the Post's planning for WC coverage next year:

Posted by: universityandpark | September 10, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

@fischy: Gonna go see Rossini, eh, doc?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 10, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

@Troy -- Today's NYT puzzle? Do you get a different NYT than I do online?

Posted by: fischy | September 10, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

@fischy - the two stadium idea on the grounds of the current RFK is a dream come true. I thought about it, but always shot it down even before really floating it because of the collaboration that would be necessary. don't dare to dream! thanks man....

Posted by: wordup1 | September 10, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

fischy, I thought that was my brilliant idea...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | September 10, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

>Definitely would like to the Spurs-Man Utd. match. >The Man City-Arsenal match, alas, is on Setanta. >Maybe I'll find some bootleg coverage....

For me it's the opposite. I have Setanta, but no FSC. Would like to see Jozy play for Hull City, and will have to "settle" for the likes of Man City-Arsenal.

Posted by: apgibson | September 11, 2009 5:04 AM | Report abuse

Does Setanta still get first pick of the 10am Saturday game? Seems Man City-Gooners would be the game of the hour unless FSC or ESPN are counting on strong Chelsea or Liverpool demos to watch theirs.

Posted by: IamAM | September 11, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

My god what a list!
I never thought I would see a list like that of soccer games I could watch. Now to decide if I need to get ESPN Deportes....

Posted by: taktip | September 11, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching it all...except for Setanta. Speaking of our luvable crap hole of a stadium - it was always among the best fields in MLS, nowdays it looks more like a cow pasture. I don't mean just the fading football lines - the grass looks like crap and seems to be getting worse. Did DCSEC cancel the ChemLawn contract or something?

Posted by: soccerman | September 11, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse