Weekend TV Listings

What are you going to watch?
FRIDAY

Mexico, Puebla-Pumas 5 p.m. FSE
NCAA women, Boston University-Harvard 5 p.m. FSC
England, Everton-Blackburn 7 p.m. FSC
Argentina, San Lorenzo-Racing 7 p.m. FSE

By Steve Goff  |  September 17, 2009; 2:37 PM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Philly, Ticos, Adebayor, DCU Updates
Next: Friday Kickaround

Comments

I will love to see Xerez get destroyed, even if its by RM. Barca - AM looks good, though.

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Will games on ESPN2 be in HD?

Posted by: Solnoir | September 17, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

How many more times are we going to see Burnley on ESPN2, ffs.

Posted by: iammrben1 | September 17, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Will games on ESPN2 be in HD?

Posted by: Solnoir | September 17, 2009 2:55
PM

Posted by: Kev29 | September 17, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Goodness gracious, great balls of fire. That's a long list.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

This weekend I'm gonna watch me change the water in my 90 gallon fish tank. If anyone else wants to watch let me know and I'll try to set up a video feed.

As for soccer, the one thing that kinda stinks about Saturday EPL games on ESPN is that, living on the west coast, there's now way I'm getting up at like 4:30-5:30 a.m. to watch soccer.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 17, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I'll listen to the Steel City Derby, probably watch Barca-Atletico and watch the Manchester Derby.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 17, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Florida-Tennessee - The Orange Derby?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I got Tennessee winning by 21.

Who's in?

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 17, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

whatever is in HD (and the wife let's me watch). ;-)

and that rotating ESPN MLS game of the week is a killer. I may have watched two or three this season, maybe. Last season I caught most of them. I know the ratings were garbage anyway, but still....

Posted by: nairbsod | September 17, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Almost a quarter of Europe's top division soccer clubs reported major financial losses last year, UEFA said Thursday, with a third of the teams in the rich and successful English Premier League losing at least 20 percent of income.

UEFA secretary general David Taylor warned a conference on financial responsibility in sport that more red ink is expected this year as leagues feel the full weight of the sputtering global economy.

Of the top leagues in the world, the Premier League was by far in the worst position when it came to the number of clubs with major losses. Only Romania, Ukraine, the Czech Republic and Poland had more clubs losing money among Europe's 53 federations.

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Steel City Derby? What about the legendary Beantown Derby Friday night?

For what it's worth -- I though Sheffield was the UK's "Steel City"....

I'd watch AC Milan, but I'm shunning Leonardo until he starts Gooch.

If a quarter of the teams suffered losses, how is that new financial fair play rule going to work?

Posted by: fischy | September 17, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this the 3rd time this year that Burnley has been the ESPN2 Saturday morning game?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | September 17, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

The must see game this weekend for me has to be the Manchester derby.

Posted by: ol-brob | September 17, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth -- I though Sheffield was the UK's "Steel City"....

Posted by: fischy | September 17, 2009 3:41 PM

Yep - it is -

"England, Sheffield United-Sheffield Wednesday 2:45 p.m. Setanta"

One of the world's underrated rivalries, always a great atmosphere. Will be a nice way to kill time at work on a Friday afternoon.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 17, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Take a moment to reflect upon that staggering list of domestic and foreign matches available on TV.

WAY back when I was a kid, all we used to get was Soccer Made in Germany, narrated by Toby Charles. It was a one-hour German soccer highlights show on Sunday morning. It was the best thing ever. We'd watch it and go out to try and recreate the moves we had seen.

If anyone complains that soccer isn't making inroads in the US, they haven't been paying attention.

Posted by: mmathai1 | September 17, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

But not every game is free, live, in English and HD, so people will still bit*h about it.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 17, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Rossi in at 65 for Villarreal.

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Barca-Atletico always seems to be a wild one.

Anybody know whether FSC is showing Argie footie at some point?

Posted by: Juan-John | September 17, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know whether FSC is showing Argie footie at some point?

Posted by: Juan-John | September 17, 2009 4:43 PM

It's getting tough for them to - with all the leagues that they cover in Europe on Sundays. Heck, the match on Sunday is even being bumped to a delay on FSE. I subscribe to FSE specifically to DVR Futbol de Primera - have they not been showing the edited version of that during the week on FSC?

Posted by: Kev29 | September 17, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Kev -- Sorry. Missed it. I assumed the original post must have referred to Manchester Derby

Posted by: fischy | September 17, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

That is a very thorough list.

And, agreed with MMathai....

Posted by: JkR- | September 17, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the memories Matt. My kids always wonder why Bayern Munich is my 'foreign' club team.

Posted by: ncguy | September 17, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

The bars I go to (Kezar Pub and The Mad Dog in the Fog, both in San Francisco) have DVR, so I can sleep in till 7, when the pub opens, and then go watch the Manchester Derby. And I'll be too tired to do anythign other than drive to the pub, so I wont accidentally look at the score beforehand

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | September 17, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I'll also probably watch Chelsesa-Spurs on Sunday. Chelsea is gonna go perfect this sesaon!!!!!!!!

j/k, even I don't believe that, but we've been doing amazing so far

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | September 17, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,

Considering how much white space the WaPo tries to fill on a daily basis, why don't they publish these TV listings in the print edition?

Roadkit

Posted by: roadkit | September 17, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Um...you think newspapers are trying to fill with extra crap these days?

Posted by: Reignking | September 17, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

What a list! I'll watch as much as I can.

Poopy-DVR the games and watch when you wake up. Chances are you won't know the outcomes yet.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 17, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Matt,

Soccer Made in Germany ruled my Sunday mornings.

A name from the era: Piere Litbarski. My spelling may be off. Which team did he play for?

Posted by: RetiredShark | September 17, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Do you realize you can watch soccer literally all week, starting @ 730am saturday and ending 9pm sunday, with a brief break sunday morning.

Sucks the weather is going to be so nice. I look forward to bundling up by the fire with some alcohol and food all weekend.

Posted by: adamsunited | September 17, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

SG-

Do you think you could star (*) the big match ups? Your TV listing schedules have become more lengthy and harder to cipher through.

Maybe you could asterisk the games that are big rivalries, good match-ups and games that highlight U.S. players that are actually going to play minutes.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 17, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Where's that Soccer Insider decoder ring when you need it?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 17, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Marathon getting stomped by Toluca in the 60th -- 4-nil.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | September 17, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

That's good news ATG. Thanks for the update. I've been watching the Office, etc.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 17, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

5 nil in the 80th. Palacios got a red in the 30th for Marathon. Good news for DC.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | September 17, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Final score: Toluca-7 Marathon-0. Wow. This is great news for DC. It also makes this upcoming Thursday's match a lot more important. Marathon will be without Palacios due to a red card and their morale is probably in shambles after a blowout. Hopefully DC United can take note of what Toluca did to destroy the Hondurans. Tommy Soehn has a tough call: play reserves vs Marathon (to rest vs San Jose). We have an open shot at the CCL. Do we take it?

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | September 17, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Yes damn it, we take it! We had a decent line-up against Jabloteh so improve a few spots and play with that; leave out Fred and Emilio.

Impressive game for Toluca, no? 7-0? Madness.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 17, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah 7-0 is a butt kicking in anybody's book. Toluca also played most of their regulars, it's nice to see teams taking this tournament seriously.

Posted by: rademaar | September 17, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I'd be pleased to see United make it through. SJ hosts Colorado tomorrow night and then have to play at Colorado on Wednesday night before meeting DCU @ RFK on the 27th. I like our odds in both of these games, but not if they put out a side of scrubs on Thursday. Please do the right thing Tommy.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 17, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Here's an odd comment from the Toluca-Marathon match report, "Toluca will remain at home next week to host *pointless* San Juan Jabloteh, while Marathon will travel to Washington to face D.C. United."

Yeah, I guess playing Jabloteh is pretty pointless.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 17, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Here are the match highlights to that 7-nil blowout.

(Great Background Music!)

Posted by: redskinsux | September 17, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I'll take the over, joedoc1.

Posted by: sitruc | September 18, 2009 2:28 AM | Report abuse

@RetiredShark: It was Pierre Littbarski. I remember the name, but not where he played.

I still remember a goalkeeper (for Dortmund, I think) named Hellstrom. I think he was Swedish. He was awesome.

I've become so jaded with all the soccer available...

Posted by: mmathai1 | September 18, 2009 2:51 AM | Report abuse

@Retired Shark and Matt:
Pierre Littbarski played for Hertha Berlin (hometown) and later 1.FC Koeln (Cologne for you). Also in France which didn't work out for him but that would not have been on Soccer Made in G.
Re Toby Charles;
Why can't we have an erudite announcer like him?

Posted by: bechtoldpk | September 18, 2009 5:39 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Hull City and Fulham for me.

Possibly the Manchester Derby.

Posted by: apgibson | September 18, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Four frackin hours of School: The story of American public education. The common school (Episode 1, 1770-1890); As American as public school (Episode 2, 1900-1950); Equality (Episode 3, 1950-1980); The bottom line (Episode 4, 1980-the present)

I can tell everyone is so jealous.

Thank God for adult beverages!

Work or and tons of of homework (and no DVR) this weekend makes me depressed about this incredible list....So I am thinking Everton-Blackburn. I will be brain dead and free by then so shhhhh on the score.

Happy Friday everyone!

Posted by: Sec131 | September 18, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Boston U.-Boston College @8 p.m if the 11:30am wedding festivities are over by then.

Go Terriers!

Posted by: KireDCU | September 18, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

OT: This morning, CNBC World Business has a report/show on MLS and in particularly DC United v LA Galaxy game this year. A reporter was at the game and showed lots of highlights of Bara/Eagles side of the stadium bouncing and Manoff, Tino, Payne interviewed.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | September 18, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Is ESPN2 actually going to show La Liga this week?

Instead of Sporting Gijon last week, we got Killing Deer.

Posted by: StanShmenge | September 18, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I guess DCU's not going to win the CCL group on goal differential. But DCU's defense against Tomacco, not looking quite so terrible now, is it.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 18, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Soccer Made In Germany introduced me to terms like Moenchengladbach, leading me to study German in high school and college (most of which I've forgotten).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 18, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

no european leagues :(. Huge ultimate frisbee tourney in uppervilleVA all weekend :(. Might watch the Dynamo/RSL game on justintv sat night though. Dynamo need a win so painfully utterly horribly badly.

Posted by: crocken | September 18, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Why can't ESPN show a team with an American on it? Or not Burnley.

Posted by: UniteforDC | September 18, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Why can't ESPN show a team with an American on it? Or not Burnley.

Posted by: UniteforDC | September 18, 2009 1:31 PM

ESPN is only able to show the early Saturday kick-off or the third choice 10am game when there is no early match - cause that's what they bought. Do you think the American arm of ESPN has any control over Premier League scheduling?? And it's a Sky Sports match over there.

The Premier League has some weird rules about teams getting on TV 'x" amount of times, so Burnley have to be picked for TV. It is kind of odd that they've been in that early Saturday slot so much.

It will pay off for ESPN every now and then, they'll get some decent derbies with that early time slot. Like Arsenal-Spurs on Halloween morning. They'll have the tasty Liverpool-Man City match in November.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 18, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse