Americans Abroad

(*Called up for USA's upcoming World Cup qualifiers)
GOALKEEPERS

Freddy Adu 25 in Belenenses' 0-0 tie at Sporting Lisbon
Mike Grella 11 in Leeds' 0-0 tie with Charlton
Matt Taylor last 45 in FSV Frankfurt's 1-1 tie with Kaiserslautern
Marcus Tracy and Aalborg at Odense on Monday

By Steve Goff  |  October 4, 2009; 4:04 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: MLS Playoff Race

Comments

Viking, I like that. oh and first?

Posted by: Pete803 | October 4, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Any news on Clint? I heard he came off in the 84th due to what looked to be a rather severe arm injury. Any truth to that or just internet rumors?

Posted by: LovetheGoffer | October 4, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Goodson is pushed down twice in the box in stoppage time and draws two cards and a PK to beat previously unbeaten Rosenborg to climb the 6th place with 3 matches to play. Rosenborg won the league last week and were trying hard to stay unbeaten in this home match.
3-2 Start in a greta come from behind win. Goodson was strong all day and was up for MOTM.

Posted by: euroman | October 4, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Do you think when Viking named themselves that all the other Norweigen (sp?) teams were like "Ohhhhh of course! Can't believe we didn't think of that."

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 4, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Pobre Villarreal. Rossi goes 90; Espanyol had 10 men for 75 minutes. Villarreal dominated with 68% of possession, 15-5 (6-0) in shots, and couldn't score and tied 0-0. They are woeful.

Sevilla beat RM 2-1 :)

Posted by: Reignking | October 4, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

That move to Milan is looking really good... (I don't mean to say I told you so, but I originally posted that Gooch's technique wasn't up to snuff to play for a terrible Milan team.) Here is hoping January brings a loan move of some kind.

Looks like Steve Cherundolo will get the start, as Spector hasn't been seeing time. If Bradley sticks with Spector that would mean 50% of our back line hasn't been playing regularly for their club. (Speculating that Onyewu starts no matter what.)

Hopefully Adu can continue to make small strides. I always have liked him and think he has the potential to be a good player. (Though he still has a long way to go.)

And at least Bocanegra will be fresh....

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 4, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

woooooow, did anyone see the fulham match, how in the hell did EJ finally get on the pitch? and it wasnt even a blow out, was everyone else injured?

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | October 4, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I think it's time to bring Virginia Tech soccer back to the Soccer Insider...

After a week where they beat #14 UVA @ UVA and then #1 UNC, I think the women's team can at least be ranked above the Red Bulls now.

Posted by: sitruc | October 4, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 4, 2009 4:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------

I think you're thinking of the Rochester Americans...

Not Norwegians...

Posted by: fischy | October 4, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

As for Gooch -- if Leonardo is canned soon, that would have to help. I also had concerns when Gooch signed with Milan, as to whether he was really up to playing at that level -- but, really, Milan couldn't do much worse with him in there. Not even in the 18? Are you kidding, Leo? Let him play and grow. It does seem s if he's a slow starter when he plays, but he's got more upside than Karadze, at this point.

Zola is crazy to be sitting Spector, and his team's defense bears me out on this. Perhaps, he'll see the light. Nice to see Bradley back in there full-time in a big league match. One other defeder to note -- Freeman going the full 90? I know it's just with Start, but that's a good sign. Maybe, he is better than I realized.

With respect to Adu, it does seem that his coach is keeping faith with him, bringing home along, even if slowly. If he rewards that show of faith with strong play, he will be starting by January.

Posted by: fischy | October 4, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LovetheGoffer | October 4, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

From FulhamFC.com's post match thing:

"The final change of the match from Hodgson saw Bjorn Helge Riise come on for Dempsey, who had picked up a knock."

Doesn't sound that bad.

Posted by: spikeman | October 4, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

The best notes here are that Adu and EJ are getting time. I'm as skeptical as anyone about both, but if they see the field they must be putting in some effort and showing some promise at their clubs. We need more good attacking players, regardless of their pasts.

Posted by: Modibo | October 4, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

E Johnson missed a golden chance to win the game for Fulham in stoppage time. He did well to win the race for a long ball, get away from the keeper and two defenders. And then missed the open net. International quality forwards put those chances away.

Posted by: jsdunbar | October 4, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Americans Abroad -- Here's Rongen on why the U20s flamed out:

"“We have a bunch of part-time players, quite frankly. Players around the world play hard games every weekend. Our players don’t,” Rongen said. “That’s a huge concern for our country—we are falling behind in the under-20s.”

Rongen said his players’ wobbly performance had only been made worse by the decision to scrap the MLS Reserve Division last year.

“None of our MLS players are regular starters, and there’s no reserve league,” he said. “We go from full-time residency to a black hole. … That’s the reason we are erratic from game to game. There’s no game sharpness, there’s no game fitness, and no game rhythm.

“Because of the MLS dropping the reserve league the black hole will become deeper and darker.""

Posted by: fischy | October 5, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

@Fischy, I am on the west coast now so I will address this imagining you will read it tomorrow morning. Plus I needed a break from my graduate work.

Anyways, Rongen does have a legitimate point. Last year I completed my college soccer career at the D2 level. I played a few years of PDL too. I am saying this not to brag. I could care what anyone really thinks of me, I am happy with my play. I went to Le Moyne College up in Syracuse and after I was done with my college career in the spring semester us and a group of the graduating Syracuse players would get together and play a few times a week. (Beats Mens league right after college by a long shot.) Anyway, Gale Agbossoumonde would show up with his older brother who went to SU and plays there. His quality showed. He was clearly a classy player on a higher level the us college players. The problem is why the heck is he playing with a group of good college kids in the spring before a U-20 world cup. We need to further the program if we want to compete. Reserve division, better placement for these players, etc. Rongen is correct.

Also, you are one hundred percent right about Leonardo and Kaladze. I would argue Gooch is better than him. Yet, Milan have a horrible tract record of developing talent. They have no new blood in this squad and this is why they are struggling. I mean they refused to play Gourcuff for 5 seasons, loaned him to the French league, and watched him score 20plus goals and become French player of the yr. Milan's team is ancient because the culture there is one of no change.

I feel like you are a very smart and cultured US soccer fan, so therefore I image you already knew this. I felt like agree openly with you though. Plus it was a good break away from hermeneutics.

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 5, 2009 3:42 AM | Report abuse

Dempsey fell hard and signaled for a sub right away, and it looked lie maybe he had separated his shoulder or something, but a few minutes later he was on the subs bench with a bag of ice on top of his shoulder chatting away and not seeming to be in too much pain.

As for EJ, jsdunbar, he was 2v1 about 30 yards from the goal and did well to get the shot he got. "International quality forwards" don't put those shots in the net, but "lucky YouTube bastards" do.

Posted by: loosek | October 5, 2009 5:26 AM | Report abuse

It's frustrating to watch some of our players in Europe not getting playing time because of some moron manager. Gooch and Altidore are classic examples. Altidore was producing in his first two games and then gets called up to the national team and all of a sudden he is not good enough. Why did they get him on loan to ride the pine? The same holds true for Gooch. Why did you sign him if you were not planning on letting him play?

Posted by: no_recess | October 5, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Well, I still have hope for Onyewu. Injuries will open up a spot for him eventually, they always do for Milan. I honestly think his play has improved for the US since the move, he is being exposed to a higher level of players.

As for Jozy, it really is a mystery to me. I wonder, if he doesn't get many minutes this season, people will start dismissing him as a bust in the style of Adu. I've simply decided that Americans have to prove themselves twice as hard, regardless of their talent; that lack of playing time might not be a failure on their part. I mean, Sal Zizzo has GOT to be good enough to be getting some minutes on a highly mediocre Hannover team, right?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 5, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Johnson got a yellow for diving as well didn't he?
FSC on my stepdad's tv. He didn't even know he had it...(Big Time Baseball head).

Posted by: DadRyan | October 5, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse