Blanco to Mexico?

With the Chicago Fire preparing for the start of its MLS playoff campaign this weekend, midfield star Cauhtemoc Blanco says he has agreed to a contract with Mexican second-division club Veracruz. It's complicated, though.

After the playoffs, he is set to join Veracruz in January and play through the rest of the Mexican season before preparing for the World Cup with the national team.

However, the Fire and Blanco continue to discuss a deal for him to return to MLS after the Cup. Blanco's contract with the Fire expires this year. His pact with Veracruz includes an opt-out clause that would allow him to play elsewhere later next year.

"We respect his desire to continue playing in Mexico during the MLS offseason and continue preparing for the 2010 World Cup," Fire technical director Frank Klopas said. "We will continue our dialogue with his agent regarding Blanco playing for the Fire in the second half of the 2010 season and beyond."

What do you make of this news? Do you think it will impact the Fire in the playoffs? And if he's gone for good, will you miss him?

By Steve Goff  |  October 29, 2009; 10:43 PM ET
Categories:  MLS , Mexico
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: Friday Kickaround

Comments

I hate the guy, but he's good for the league. I hope he comes back.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 29, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Won't miss him one bit. Good riddance.

That's going to put a lot of miles on those old legs, I hope he just retires.

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | October 29, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Blanco pure class to the last. Die in hell you SOB.

Posted by: J_S_F | October 29, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

It' no different from what Becks will be doing with Milan, keeping in form and playing to stay ready for the WC. Whether or not he comes back after the WC, well, we'll see. He's a marquee player, but Chicago has one of those in McBride, so their need is not as desperate, and with the cap space his leaving opens up, they could fill some of the holes they will develop with planned (Rolfe) or possible off-season departures, so it may be a blessing that he's leaving of his own accord rather than being forced out. Not that the readers of this blog know anything about MLS teams possibly having to force out older, established players to clear cap space.......

Posted by: joemybro | October 29, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Who really cares?

Posted by: redskinsux | October 29, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

He's a great player and MLS doesn't have enough of them, but another part of me says, 'good riddance!'

Posted by: mbyrd28 | October 29, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Blanco is the best thing about MLS. I root for the United but I sure do like watching Cauhtemoc, we could use a lot more characters like him.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | October 29, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Peace Out Blanco.

Posted by: Dipssince78 | October 30, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

why a second division club? he's been starting for the mexican national team and the best club team he can get on there is in the second division?

i don't see how that playing in mexico at a lower level is better for his prospects of making the team.

Posted by: joe_hill | October 30, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Well I'm heartbroken.

Posted by: kdiff813 | October 30, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

I root for the United but I sure do like watching Cauhtemoc, we could use a lot more characters like him. Posted by: PowerBoater69

Once a small vinegar and water filled bag, always a small vinegar and water filled bag, Mr.Powerboater

Posted by: delantero | October 30, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

My original comment about you, Powerbtr, went to the official censors of the Post.

Posted by: delantero | October 30, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the person (persons?) who say they are conflicted. I think he is great for our league, but his petty antics and history vs the US National Team make me hate him. I'm guessing I'm not alone due to every soccer fan potentially having this conflict of club hero vs national team villain.

Posted by: EssEff | October 30, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

And what does Payne, the illustrious champion of quality football owner of a team in 10th place, think of the 0-0 tie tonight?

Posted by: delantero | October 30, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Mexico? Could we have him go further away?

Posted by: Senor_Funk | October 30, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

I've got to admit that I will miss his exagerated facial expressions every time he gets bumped. He's a lot of fun to root against, and to laugh at.

One of the greatest signs in RFK history was "DONDE ESTA SU CUELLO?"

Posted by: DCUMD | October 30, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 30, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

He always said that he didn't like Chicago (the city), so I guess playing for Veracruz (2nd division) is better than the Chicago winters.

love him, hate him, he made the games interesting. I don't see him coming back.

Posted by: o35_still_kicking | October 30, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Marquee player, joemybro? This ain't Australia.

Posted by: sitruc | October 30, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Interesting story, VBB. I wasn't clear on what's drawing fans away from SPL though, rugby, shinty, caber toss?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 30, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

My guess is he is heading to the 2nd division because he can secure all the playing time he needs to prepare for the WC. He'll be back next year, probably in chicago, but I can think of a few teams who would gladly take him.

Bigger Picture - This is not good for the MLS, this is the second player to go elsewhere to prepare for the World Cup. The league is never going to attract top-level international talent with this schedule or stigma of unworthiness. It will continue to be the senior tour for the euro leagues.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | October 30, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

===================

What's the latest on Donovan? I hope he goes elsewhere too, since I want the US to do well next year, regardless of whether its good for "the MLS" diktators.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 30, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

He's so much fun to detest, I hate to see him go. Such a master of the dive... who will the young Montero's of the world look to for inspiration?

Posted by: -rke- | October 30, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1,

Well played. I wonder what Sepp would have to say about that?

You know what's missing from that article? A Scott up in arms about England infringing on Scottish independence. Where's William Wallace? Where's Alex Salmond? Where's the SNP?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 30, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Love to hate Blanco. I'd really want for him to come back - every league needs a villain. Favorite moment: Blanco urinal cakes at RFK.

Posted by: JamesDougan | October 30, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

And where's Sean Connery? Oh right, living in Spain.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 30, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Nah, I think he is in the Bahamas. Or Bermuda.

Posted by: Reignking | October 30, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Like him or hate him, Blanco is one of the few players that can increase the gate, both home and away.

MLS needs high quality players, but MLS also needs guys that are a draw at the gate, too.

Posted by: khan1 | October 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I'll miss him. There is no denying he's a good player, and Chicago is more fun to watch when he's playing. He's good for the league so I hope he comes back.

I also wonder about the choice to go to a 2nd division club.

Posted by: WorldCup | October 30, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Great player...wish he'd stay in MLS.

Posted by: nico78 | October 30, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse