Charlie Davies Updates

USA forward Charlie Davies, badly injured in a car accident early Tuesday, was stable through the night at Washington Hospital Center -- a positive sign after extensive operations for fractures to his right leg, left elbow and face, as well as for a lacerated bladder.

His father, brother and sister arrived in Washington from California, where the family now lives. (Charlie was born and raised in New Hampshire.)

Sgt. David Schlosser, spokesman for U.S. Park Police, told the Insider this morning that the accident investigation will take at least one to two weeks. "It's a complicated crash reconstruction," he said. "We won't have any answers right away." Officially, the Park Police is not allowed to identify the survivors, but Scholosser said the driver and other passenger were taken to Washington Hospital Center. The passenger (Davies) was taken via helicopter because of the severity of the injuries. The driver was transported via ambulance.

Alexandre Lacombe, president of French club Sochaux, where Davies plays, says: "We are all in shock. The American federation was exemplary and informed us of all the events. Regrettably, his dream of South Africa has gone away and his career might be in danger. All our thoughts at FC Sochaux are with Charlie." (Thanks to French journalist Sebastien Daucourt for his assistance with this comment.)

If you're going to RFK tonight, fans are organizing a tribute to Charlie. Print this out and hold it up during the ninth minute of the match (8:00-8:59).

USA teammate Stuart Holden posted on his Twitter page: "Ok guys u can send ALL your well wishes 2 Charlie, email charliedavies9@yahoo.com , they r printing all notes and bringing them 2 him! THX"

By Steve Goff  |  October 14, 2009; 10:48 AM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup Wednesday
Next: Terps Player Released From Hospital

Comments

Great work on this, Steve. Thanks for burning the midnight oil to keep us updated.

To those Insiders going to the game tonight -- please cheer a little louder for those of us who can't make it, particularly when Davies is mentioned.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 14, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I sent an email of support. And I am going tonight just to cheer in the 9th minute.

Posted by: jsm3 | October 14, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I second JoeDoc's thank you Mr. Goff. Your hard work is very much appropriated by all of us loyal listeners. With travel to Honduras, I could have understood if you didn't want to put in the effort, but you did so thanks a lot.

And yes, I am trapped across the country and cannot attend the match so please make a little noise for me too.

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 14, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

And Kev29 don't read into my niceness on that last post I still reported you..... :)

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 14, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm still getting choked up when I read about this story. Heck, of course I didn't know the guy personally, but it really gets personal when we all have gone through the emotions that the players put on the field. Or, something like that.

Was the crash on the stretch of GW Parkway between the Memorial Bridge and Pentagon City? Is that even the GW Parkway?

Posted by: EssEff | October 14, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Steve. Done.

Posted by: sitruc | October 14, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I wish I could go tonight. Not just to support #9's recovery, but to support the whole team.

I hope all the US fans in attendance sing, scream, or shout the National Anthem and continue to drown out the Tico voices until the final whistle.

Let's get a goal in the 9th minute and see all 11 players do the stanky leg.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 14, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Good work, Goff.

Posted by: mason08 | October 14, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Your hard work is very much appropriated by all of us loyal listeners.
----------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a copyright violation.....

;)

We readers appreciate the hard work, too.

Posted by: fischy | October 14, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Go here. FC Sochaux was basically a giant online "get well" card for Charlie. Send a message to him.

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | October 14, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Goff.

I won't be at the game either, but for those who will I trust you will do the business and do it right. So thank you too, in advance.

I'm printing my copies out which I and my family will hold up and cheer as loud as we can our family room tonight. If we can't be there in person we'll be there in spirit. Neighbors be damned!

Posted by: Kosh2 | October 14, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I will be there and will take with me all of your shouts, cheers, and 9's for those who cannot attend.

BTW does anyone know what color we're supposed to wear? I remember soemthing from the Honduras match about not looking like US fans were there en masse because we were wearing three different colors while the Honduran fans all had the same shirt on.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 14, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Sam's Army typically is in red.

Posted by: 22206no1 | October 14, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MichaelVann7

And it has a looping video of some Charlie highlights. They did a great job.

Posted by: glfrazier | October 14, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

SO wait, we do it at minute 8 and not at min 9?

Posted by: alan19 | October 14, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't it read 8:59:01-9:00?

Posted by: Juan-John | October 14, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I meant 8:09:01-8:10?

Posted by: Juan-John | October 14, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Just like there was no zero, there is no minute zero. So the first minute of a game is from 0 - 59 seconds, etc. etc.

Therefore the NINTH minute of the game is from 8:00 - 8:59 on the game clock (as opposed to on the clock on the wall).

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 14, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Oopsie. I meant just like there was no *year* zero. Gotta learn to proofread.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 14, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

So, in the year 2525, it will actually be the two thousand twenty-sixth year? I mean, if man is still alive, and woman still survives.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 14, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

*two thousand five hundred twenty-sixth year *

Posted by: OWNTF | October 14, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm wearing my anthracite away jersey. The darker color seems more appropriate tonight.

If Costa Rica is wearing a red shirt the US fans in Red are going to look hella stupid. NO offense.
I might bring my Hawaiian state flag. If you see some dudes grilling in the rain in lot 8 with a Hawaii flag draped over the car, that's probably us...;-)
Don't tread on Chingy!
Go USA!

Posted by: DadRyan | October 14, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Dad, seriously, an athracite jersey? Won't that be really heavy? And what a carbon footprint you'll leave.

More seriously, was there any buzz in Hawaii on your trip about the canonization of Father Damien? An unbelievable life.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 14, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Goff, thanks for all of the updates. I know that when you report it, it's true.

Posted by: Golden_Child | October 14, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

this is just crushing. i was so pumped for what Charlie brings to the table in terms of South Africa 2010. very very dangerous striker. damn man. i'm just praying for everyone involved. damn...

Posted by: SadieV | October 14, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there with my son tonight, have already printed two "9"'s. If its anything like United games, the 9th minute will likely be about quarter after...

What's sad to me is, not only is a young woman dead, Charlie Davies badly hurt and may never play again, but that this is the second incident in the last few days involving bad driving in the DC area hurting young players. Please slow down and drive more carefully.

Posted by: johnlclark | October 14, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Is DadRyan wearing chainmail?

Posted by: Reignking | October 14, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Is DadRyan wearing chainmail?

Posted by: Reignking | October 14, 2009 4:40 PM
***************

Memo to Self: remember to take camera.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 14, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse