D.C. United News & Notes

*Who starts in goal Saturday night for desperate D.C. United against front-running Columbus at RFK? I'm fairly certain it's going to be Steve Cronin. Despite his recent arrival from Portland, Cronin's experience and form (USL-1 keeper of the year, Galaxy starter last season) seem to give him the edge over rookie Milos Kocic in a must-win situation.

Per coaching policy, no one is talking about the lineup and we won't know officially until one hour before kickoff, but the vibe I got in the dank tunnels of RFK this morning was that Cronin will be the choice. I'll have much more on the situation in Saturday's print editions (available online this evening).

*Besides a victory over the Crew, what does DCU (36 points) need from matches around the league? Seattle (41) to lose at Kansas City, New England (38) to lose at home to Chicago, Colorado (40) and Dallas (36) to tie, and Toronto (36) and RSL (37) to draw.

*Tomorrow night's weather outlook for RFK: 42 degrees, 16-mph winds, 60 percent chance of rain.

*The 1999 DCU squad will be honored at halftime. Among the 16 former players expected to attend: Etcheverry, Diaz Arce, Agoos, Lassiter, Pope, Presthus, Sonora -- as well as Williams and Onalfo.

By Steve Goff  |  October 16, 2009; 1:06 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Kickaround
Next: Saturday Kickaround

Comments

Terrible time to be honoring these guys isn't it? Its not exactly all great and glory for DC United these days to have Etcheverry, Arce, Agoos, Lassiter, and Pope for the honor. DC is very much out of the playoffs...

Posted by: elfelixg | October 16, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Williams can hang around a little bit afterwards . . .

Posted by: UVAtoRFK | October 16, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Onalfo had no excuses to not come... lol

Let's hope the '99 team can inspire us now..

Posted by: StewartDC8 | October 16, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

any way we can get a uniform for marco, arce, and eddie for the game? i am sure they have at least one more game in them.

Posted by: jjfooty | October 16, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

That group of guys had the occasional bad game, but not an entire season. And they were fun to watch, even when they lost.

Richie is a protege of Manny Schellscheit (sp?), a great soccer coach himself. It's one reason I'd like to see Williams get a chance to run a team.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 16, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

oh sweet! just discovered my office tv has the Brazil-Ghana match. Productivity ceases.

Posted by: troy6 | October 16, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

With mark-to-market accounting, these last tickets in the season ticket booklet might be worth . . . nothing. I literally think one might not be able to give them away.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 16, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

cool that one of the Ghanaians could speak French for the FIFA folks. Must be an Ewe.

Posted by: troy6 | October 16, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

If Cronin starts against the Crew, what does that say about our goalkeeping situation? Kocic is a rookie, but at least he has some experience with the team. Cronin is brand new. Interesting.

Posted by: mmathai1 | October 16, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

From what I've seen of Kocic, I figure Cronin has to be better. I wonder if he's looking for an MLS spot for next year, or whether he's auditioning to be Portland's keeper when they debut in the MLS? Considering that the Galaxy preferred him to Wicks, maybe United will be similarly smitten.

For once, I'll be watching at home -- it's Ch. 1 on Verizon's system. I don't expect to be out at RFK before next year's home opener. I can't wait to see all the new players the FO brings in!!! Hopefully, they'll be some players we might mention in the same breath as the Pope, Agoos, Arce, Etcheverry, even Williams and Lassiter. The level of MLS has definitely come up since then, but I can't say the same for United.

Posted by: fischy | October 16, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@fischy: I don't know that I'd be looking to the Galaxy for coaching advice pre-Arena. Remember this was the team that started Abel Xavier - a defender whose most effective weapon was his hair.

Posted by: mmathai1 | October 16, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Richie Williams is 2-3-2 this season. Why is he the solution to DC's coaching problem?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 16, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Because he isn't 0-0-7?

Posted by: Reignking | October 16, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Cronin was the worst starting keeper I've ever seen in MLS. The only reason we (Galaxy) had a shot at the playoffs in 07 was because we had Cannon in goal. With Cronin, we were last (or was it second to last) in the league last year.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | October 16, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Halftime substitution for the coach? :-)

Posted by: griffin1108 | October 16, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | October 16, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse
========================

But Cronin was ahead of Wicks right?

Posted by: OWNTF | October 16, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Wicks ever went after Xavier like he did Burch. Wicks and Xavier is what we might call a whack-on-whack crime.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 16, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

remember when we almost got Joe Cannon in that trade a few years ago, and instead ended up with Zack Wells? Yeah, that might have been the turning point of this era for the club.

Posted by: VTUnited | October 16, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Not even joe cannon could have helped us... we would have Louis Crayton'd his a**

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | October 16, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | October 16, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse
__________________________________________

Bullies only pick on people they know they can intimidate/beat up. :p

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | October 16, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Halftime substitution for the coach? :-)

Posted by: griffin1108 | October 16, 2009 2:34 PM
_______________________________________________________

Actually, I think he should be subbed in at the 43rd minute.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | October 16, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: troy6 | October 16, 2009 1:56 PM

*****************************************

One "huh?!" deserves another so I'd like to point out that the LA Rams cheerleaders were once known as the Embraceable Ewes.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 16, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Nice of Onalfo to come look around before he settles in as the new coach.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | October 16, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

whatever happened to Crayton anyway? Did he land somewhere else?

Posted by: nairbsod | October 16, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Ruthie1:

If that's the case, prepare for a few more years of angst. Onalfo's got a lot to learn.

***

There are two sides to this goalkeeping situation. As CACuscatlan points out, Cronin was absolutely terrible for LA last year. However, it's not hard to imagine that he wasn't receiving the proper work in practice, at least during Gullit's "set out some balls and let them do whatever" sessions. After the season Portland had, it's pretty easy to imagine that Cronin has improved, is in better form, and has more confidence.

My knee-jerk reaction to this was that it was kind of pointless and that we should just let Kocic either prove himself or prove that he's not the answer. However, I feel like I know how that story would end (poorly for all involved), so maybe I was a little quick to form an opinion. I guess we'll find out tomorrow either way.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 16, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

fischy:

Ch. 1 on my Verizon is coming up with "College Football Overdrive" and paid programming during the game. It could just be that FiOS is wrong (it's happened before).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 16, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

x

Posted by: troy6 | October 16, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm Ghana Git You, Suckaz!!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 16, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Ghana won!!!

..and then Jim Rome shows his class, what complete moron.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | October 16, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Vive l'Afrique!! Vive l'Afrique!!!

Who said Africans can't play defense? Playing most of the game with 10 men, Ghana shuts out Brazil and wins on penalties 4-3 in the sixth round. Ghanaian 'keeper has an interesting technique -- seems to guess better than any keeper I've seen, and faster. He saved 2 balls standing up, even though he still had to get over to that side.

@Chest -- I only posted that, because it came up on my channel guide. I'm assuming that FiOS got it right....

Posted by: fischy | October 16, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Ghana wins the u20 World Cup in Egypt on PKs after 120 scoreless minutes.

Brazil shot first and each of the first 5 shooters hit unstoppable, well-place hard shots. As Brazil led 3-2 Ghana had one saved to fall behind. Then the keepers became the stars saving most and Brazil sent a potential cup winner over the crossbar. Finally, in the 6th round (I think) Ghana's keeper made another save and they converted to win the Cup.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 16, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

What did Rome say? I left the room after the coverage was over, but I can hear him babbling right now. I thought to myself he's got to love being preempted by the U-20s.

Posted by: AbuSamra | October 16, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

After the whole penalty kick drama and Ghana's first win ever, Jim Rome stuck his big face in and said something like "Well, glad THAT's finally over."

To me it was just like the US getting to the ConFed Final and then Tosh.0 making fun of soccer. Two steps forward, one step back.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | October 16, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Wow that has to be shtick on some level. I knew he had a typical antisoccer stance, but he really can not be that much of hater.

Posted by: AbuSamra | October 16, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, i don't know what Rome's problem is, but I can't stand him.
I'll just have to learn to switch off the TV quick before he come on.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | October 16, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see it, but in Rome's defense, it was an appalling display of soccer. Truly a game where nothing happened for 120 minutes of "action". There were 2 exciting moments -- one when the Ghanaian defender took down the Brazilian just past midfield on the breakaway -- and got the red card -- and late in the game there was a good shot on goal that tested the goalie. My reaction was pretty much the same as Rome's...when it went to penalties.

Posted by: fischy | October 16, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

People watch Tosh.0? And I thought being a soccer fan in the US was masochistic...

***

fischy:

My faith in TV/internet providers is pretty low. You may be a guy on the internet that I don't know, but you also haven't left me waiting 5 hours only to no-show.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 16, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

U-17s vs. Palace tomorrow @ Loyola... 100% chance of rain. Be there! I will.

Full disclosure: I only live a half mile away. AND I missed the CR match for financial reasons. In the words of an old Cleveland motto, "if it's free, it's for me."

Posted by: Modibo | October 16, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

am i reading this right that some of you good people won't be using your tickets? send 'em my way!

now at home, drink in hand, still grinning about ghana's victory. i lived there for two years and still love the place. sorry for the pretentious reference: ewes (pronounced eh-bwes, sort of) are from the east side of the country and many speak french.

Posted by: troy6 | October 16, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow, only 2 more games with Tommy as our head-coach.

Makes me think of "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" from My Fair Lady.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 16, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Like Chest, my initial reaction was against bringing in Cronin. Mostly because I think the season is over anyway, so why not give Kocic a shot instead of wasting money on a lost cause?

But now that Cronin is here, let him play and audition for next year. I don't think any of us are convinced that Wicks is a long term solution.

Posted by: DCUMD | October 16, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Wake me up when the Battery invite DCU, Philly, and Toronto back to Charleston. It's gonna be a riot...;)

Posted by: DadRyan | October 17, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Capital Weather gang now says that temps will be between 38-43 and that rain is certain. Could this be the worst weather for a game since we played Harbour View in early March at the Soccerplex back in 2005 (snow piled along both sidelines, ice in the stands, temperatures below freezing, and I seem to remember a breeze as well)?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 17, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse