DCU Updates

*Rodney Wallace won't play Saturday night against Chivas USA because of a yellow card suspension.

*Chris Sharpe, a 28-year-old Australian goalkeeper from the MLS player pool, joined the club for training this morning and will back up Milos Kocic tomorrow.

*Defender Julius James will leave Sunday for Trinidad and Tobago to join the national team ahead of World Cup qualifiers against Costa Rica and Mexico. James, 25, has three caps but has never appeared in a qualifier.

"It's such a proud moment for a player and his family," he said. "I just have to take care of my body for our big game [DCU vs. Columbus on Oct. 17] when I get back."

T&T could do the USA a big favor by earning a point at Costa Rica. "I haven't thought about that too much," he said, laughing. "I played college here and this is the place where I play now, so it would be nice to see the U.S. go through. I want to win for my country, but I also represent the American league and it's motivating to help the league and some of my friends here."

*Reminder: Tomorrow's match is live on The Comcast Network (available on many cable systems as well as satellite) and on tape delay on Comcast SportsNet.

*Tickets are available to the general public for the sixth annual DCU Awards Reception, benefitting the club's charitable efforts. The event takes place Oct. 27 at the Atlas Performing Arts Center. Details here.

*On the USA front, if the Americans clinch a World Cup automatic berth and avoid the dreaded CONCACAF-CONMEBOL playoff, a friendly in Europe in November will be considered, I'm told.

By Steve Goff  |  October 2, 2009; 1:09 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Kickaround
Next: Saturday Kickaround

Comments

Crikey, am I first?!

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 2, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

the U20s look pretty flat and don't play together very well. Brek Shea is real waste of space.

The Koreans lead 1-0 with a few minutes to go in the half.

Posted by: fedssocr | October 2, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

make that 2-0 halftime

Posted by: fedssocr | October 2, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

To echo fedsoccer -- from a post I put up in the other thread -- I don't see why they keep trotting Shea out there. He is not up to this level. The team is conceding far too much possession, and isn't very good on the ball, either. What's with all those passes around the back, when they're trailing 2-0? I just haven't seen anything in the USA defense that gives me encouragement. Right now, I'm prepared to look past this bunch and see what the U17s can do...

Posted by: fischy | October 2, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Note for tomorrow's live United telecast - if you have DirecTV, or you're at a bar and they can't find it... It's listed on the CSN alt channel (643).

I'm not seeing it listed on Dish Network (other than the LA channel, which would be blacked out here).

Not listed on FIOS either.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 2, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Complete lack of creativity from the wings. Seems to be: get it down the touch line and cross it.

If the wings can beat their first defender and penetrate the penalty area, space will open up in the box (which Korea is packing in pretty well). If the US relies on the pretty heinous crossing it's provided so far, we're done.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 2, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Forget all of that. A US player just got tossed. Game over.

How 'bout them U17s?

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 2, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Beach volleyball in Rio. Soccer finals in Maracana.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 2, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

hey kids

Don't forget to boycott the US v Honduras game...

Screw ISM
SCREW the Honduran FA
Screw USSF for not having the balls..

and to those who say it's not USSF problem/fault... are you on the USSF payroll?

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | October 2, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

While it might seem about time for an Olympics in South America, I wonder if it isn't a bit soon. They could do such more if the IOC had waited another 4 or 8 years. Plus, with global warming, the USA will soon be too hot to host an Olympics. Oh well -- there's always 2020.

Maybe, by then, we'll have a decent youth soccer team...

Posted by: fischy | October 2, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bonghits4gomez

Nope, I'm just a rational thinker who understands businesses trying to maximize profit.

Posted by: Reignking | October 2, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | October 2, 2009 2:36 PM |
----------------------------------------------------

Nope -- I'm with the PFJ -- The People's Front of Judea.

I can't boycott the game because there are no viewings where I'll be, in PA. I wouldn't boycott if I could. I'd rather watch the game. I guess you figure you pay enough for your cable service, huh? Why pay a bar to watch the game? Maybe, you should boycott your TV service, instead? Makes about as much sense....maybe more.

Posted by: fischy | October 2, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

The one thing I am sure of is that it has absolutely nothing to with the USSF.

Posted by: fischy | October 2, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | October 2, 2009 2:39 PM
====================

I guess you won't be watching Michael Moore's latest joke...

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 2, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Out for a stroll at lunchtime and saw Suarez (sports star fashionable), Lillingston (personally keeps several gel makers in business) and a couple of younger guys in Chivas warmups walking down L street NW. My second spotting of visiting MLS team somewhere besides RFK this season. Last time was after Dynamo lost to DCU early in the season when I saw them on the plane to Houston the next day - maybe an omen that another win is coming? If Bonghits can keep blaming USSF for the Honduras TV thing, I feel very comfortable with my logic on this one...

Posted by: sportsparenttoo | October 2, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

This is where threads go to die...slowly, in this case.

Posted by: Kosh2 | October 2, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | October 2, 2009 2:39 PM
====================

I guess you won't be watching Michael Moore's latest joke...

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 2, 2009 2:51 PM |

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't confuse "understanding" with approval. You have to "understand" the nature of a problem, if you're going to confront/address it. Businesses minimize costs and maximize revenue -- especially if they're 'answering' to profit-hungry American shareholders, and especially if their compensation is absurdly tied to stock value and quarterly profits. However, minimizing costs is a problematic, sometimes fraught proposition that involves shifting the costs to others. A sensible system catches those externalities and puts them on the back of the businesses that create them.

Posted by: fischy | October 2, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I guess you won't be watching Michael Moore's latest joke...

Posted by: joedoc1

Is it free? :)

Posted by: Reignking | October 2, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

The awards event isn't in P. G. County? Surprising.

Posted by: lgm6986 | October 2, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Che!

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 2, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Paying $15 to watch a qualifier in a bar is ridiculous.

I say boycott this for one reason only, if it's even remotely successful, others will try it again in the future. Show them that it's simply not worth the effort to go the closed-circuit PPV route.

I don't care if it's how things are in England/Italy wherever. We've fought hard enough to get our matches on ESPN etc, to have them move to PPV.

Posted by: alecw81 | October 2, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

My poll:

(a) Rush Limbaugh is a big, fat idiot.

(b) Michael Moore is a big, fat idiot.

(c) Messrs Limbaugh and Moore are both big, fat idiots.

I vote (c).

Posted by: OWNTF | October 2, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

hey kids

Don't forget to boycott the US v Honduras game...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez

Don't worry, I'll in Barcelona -- won't even be an option ;-)

Posted by: dchooligan | October 2, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF - Amen/its secular equivalent

Posted by: sportsparenttoo | October 2, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Just finished watching the US u20 performance vs the South Koreans. I stayed off this blog and other internet soccer sites all day for that?!!

The best thing is Ike Opara, he's a big strong guy who stays totally focused and stuck in until he has to leave with his SECOND red card of the game (the first was actually just a never explained WTF? moment from Italian ref Rosetti).

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 2, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey has any one else that has DirectTV not getting ESPN 2 any more?

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | October 2, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | October 2, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I was going to point out how short sighted your statement was but...........alecw81 did it for me.........

Paying $15 to watch a qualifier in a bar is ridiculous.

Posted by: alecw81 | October 2, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: croftonpost | October 3, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Wow, the LA-CHI ref should be fired, tomorrow. PAGE ONE of the soccer rule book: the ball is not in play until it completes one rotation. U.F.B. Normally I stick up for refs, but that is literally the first rule anyone connected with the sport in any way is supposed to learn.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 3, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for fischy to explain the Law of Diminishing Returns to a Factor - like how having a lot of high priced players actually makes a team worse.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 3, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse