Dempsey Sidelined

Starting midfielder Clint Dempsey will miss the USA's World Cup qualifier at Honduras on Saturday night and is questionable for the Costa Rica match next Wednesday at RFK Stadium because of a sprained shoulder, the USSF announced this afternoon. Jose Francisco Torres and Stuart Holden are the top candidates to replace him the lineup, though we could see a midfield of Michael Bradley, Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber and Landon Donovan.

Dempsey was injured late in Fulham's 2-1 victory over West Ham on Sunday.

Meantime.....

*The steamy weather forecast for San Pedro Sula.

*GolTV's Phil Schoen and Ray Hudson to handle English play-by-play for the closed-circuit broadcast on Saturday? That's the rumor.

*Red Bulls forward John Wolyniec (ankle surgery) and defender Kevin Goldthwaite (adductor surgery) will miss the final two league matches.

By Steve Goff  |  October 5, 2009; 3:08 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF , MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Barcelona's Goal
Next: Wicks Suspended 5 Games

Comments

Top candidates to be on the bench?

Posted by: sitruc | October 5, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Mediapro, which bought the rights from the Honduran Fed, was the company which started Gol TV and handles rights for a bunch of its properties. No surprise they got Phil and Ray.

Now the question is why they didn't just sell the rights to GolTV instead of being sharks and taking the game to CCTV.

Posted by: beach3 | October 5, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I say give stu the start. Hope hes up for the biggest game of his career.

Posted by: pino149 | October 5, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I am liking Holden for the spot.

Different subject. Anyone know where Osorio has gone? Least he had the decency to resign.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | October 5, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the Fulham-West Ham game end up 2-2...?

Posted by: sockey1 | October 5, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Goff's DVR of the Fulham-West Ham (the ham derby) cut off too early to see the Hammers tie it all up for the final scoreline of 2-2.

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | October 5, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

glad that someone (God) has the balls to bench dempsey... he has been poor since the confed cup...

10 seconds of goal (set up by the hard work and play of others) doesn't make up 89:50 of giving the ball away, losing possession, stalling attacks and general malaise...

Posted by: poopoobigelow | October 5, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Grrrrrr! And I just got my Fulham vs Roma tickets in the mail today! I was so excited to see Dempsey play at the Cottage! Hopefully he is better by then.

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | October 5, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

dempsey out = blessing in disguise?*

*(based on his lollygagging against T&T)

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 5, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Dempsey has really stunk it up in the WCQs. It will be nice to play Honduras without coughing up a goal in the first 10 minutes, and interesting to see what Bradley does. I don't see him using Holden for the full 90. I'd guess Feilhaber out wide.

Apparently, this Fado chain is showing the matches. Although the Philly location is not listed, someone answering the phone there says it's on their calendar. So, I'll try there. Go, USA!!!

Posted by: fischy | October 5, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

dempsey out = blessing in disguise?*

*(based on his lollygagging against T&T)

Posted by: birdynumnum

I don't know about that. He has been lacking in the effort department. What this really is Torres' chance to prove himself/that we need someone creative who can create possession. Also a chance for Bob to @#$% it up by playing all his favorites in an even more conservative style.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 5, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I say we see Holden

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 5, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Torres but I don't think Bradley will start him. His knock has always been that he's a defensive liability, especially after his poor showing during the Costa Rica game at Saprissa. Everybody played like crap that night. Can't remember if he's seen any action since that game. He's strong technically and can move the ball well something we will need vs. Honduras. I'll be in Europe for both qualifiers so hope the boys go through.

Posted by: sbg1 | October 5, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

The Fulham game vs. West Ham ended 2-2!

Posted by: YNOT1970 | October 6, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I agree I think Dempsey has been coasting all year including the Confederations Cup.

Posted by: restonhoops | October 6, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

dempsey out = blessing in disguise?*

*(based on his lollygagging against T&T)

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 5, 2009 5:28 PM

I thought the same thing too when I saw the headline. I think this is Holden's chance to shine. That kid has a lot more heart than Dempsey, and gives twice the effort.

Posted by: VTUnited | October 6, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

=================

It does when you win 1-0.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse