Friday Kickaround

*The crowd (35,807 on a Thursday?) was sensational. The backdrop (downtown Seattle) was breathtaking. ESPN's presentation gave the feel of a big-time event. The kit colors (emerald green, Dutch orange) were worthy of "Project Runway." The intensity and pace were top-notch. A shot cleared off the line and another off the crossbar. Too bad there weren't any goals. The MLS playoffs began in fiery style last night with a 0-0 tie between Seattle and Houston at Qwest Field. Advantage: Dynamo.

*David Beckham's loan to AC Milan appears set.

*A Post reader recounts his trip to Italy to see Inter Milan.

*Americans abroad:
F Freddy Adu and Belenenses at Porto
F Matt Taylor and FSV Frankfurt at Union Berlin

*College soccer Saturday night: Eighth-ranked Maryland faces No. 12 Virginia at Ludwig Field in College Park. Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. The Terps, playing their final ACC match, are 10-4-1 overall and 4-2-1 in the league. Standout forward Casey Townsend (ankle injury) is expected to return after missing eight matches, but Maryland has other concerns. The Cavs, who are 10-3-1 and 3-3, have won three straight. On Sunday at 1 p.m., the eighth-ranked Maryland women (12-3-2) will host No. 4 North Carolina (13-3-1) and attempt to defeat the Tar Heels for the first time after 27 losses and one draw. The Terps have been outscored in the series 108-5.

*Video of Pat Onstad's yellow card. Should it have been a red?

By Steve Goff  |  October 30, 2009; 9:42 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Beckham , College Soccer , Italy , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blanco to Mexico?
Next: Video: Inter Milan's Scoring Spree

Comments

"The kit colors (emerald green)"

And by "emerald green, I think you mean "sea foam martian barf"

Posted by: Kev29 | October 30, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I've never seen an emerald that particular shade of green. Perhaps 'Radioactive Emerald Green' is more fitting?

Posted by: PEddy | October 30, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

When I first saw the Sounders kits last year, I thought they were kind of cool, but that someday we'd look back in horror. Some kits and colors last, others age quickly.

I didn't think I'd be sick of them before the end of the their first campaign, but I am. They look awful to me now.

Posted by: JkR- | October 30, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

In the comments during the game last night I said that he was very lucky not to see red. Really dumb move, not Wicks dumb, but certainly not something you expect from the oldest player on the pitch. My impression is that none of the officials really saw it and basically handed out offsetting yellows just because they had to do something and Onstad and Montero were at the heart of whatever it was.

Posted by: edgeonyou | October 30, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

*sigh. There's Boswell, in the playoffs, but not on our team. Just think of what we could've done with him at center full if we hadn't traded him a couple years ago.

It's clear that Onstad should've been looking where he was going and it led to unsporting behavior, but seeing as his knockdown wasn't clearly intentional I'd hesitate to call it violent conduct.

Posted by: Rosslyn45 | October 30, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

You can't give someone a red card for bumping someone with your chest. He did not use his hands, arms or feet.

Posted by: ptbrnchbob | October 30, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Elbow above the neck? Instant red. Head butt? Red. Obviously intentional chest bump? Yellow. It simply isn't dangerous, it's just a display.

Posted by: weliveindc | October 30, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | October 30, 2009 9:58 AM

I instantly knew they were atrocious. Keep your club/home colors conservative and get wacky with an away shirt every now and then. Reminds me of tons of teams going with lame copper (*cough cough Caps cough cough*), teal or purple colors in the 90s and now they have to change.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 30, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Agreed that it was entertaining stuff coming out of Seattle last night, even though there were no goals and the quality of football was not at its best. Good for the league.

Posted by: rademaar | October 30, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Lucky to not get red because Houston is going to need him for the home leg. For once this season, it doesn't look like freddy dove, he was legitimately chest bumped to the ground. In my slow-mo, after-the-fact analysis; Onstad should have been ejected but I am glad he didn't, it would have changed the whole dynamic of the series.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | October 30, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

and I am officially "that guy"

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | October 30, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Kev29:

I respectfully disagree. If every team in MLS was conservative, we'd have even more teams in red, blue, or white (current count: 9, and soon to be 10 with Philly coming in). I'm not saying Seattle's jerseys are great looking, but I'm glad they're not another boring, cookie-cutter team.

I suppose MLS will be fining me now.

***

Onstad deserved a yellow, and should know better. The talk of him deserving a red is preposterous. It's a chest bump. It's not a strike to a soft area (the current refereeing term for the neck/face), it's not using an elbow, fist, forearm, knee, or foot. There was absolutely no chance he could be hurt. Montero didn't deserve his yellow, and probably got it on reputation (which he has definitely earned).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 30, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Very hard to see (real time or on replay) but it looks like Freddy did something to provoke the bump. Impeding Onstad's move to the ball, perhaps? That seems to be what provoked the whole thing, well, that and the fact it was simply Freddy...

Posted by: 22206no1 | October 30, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I think it's one of those congratulatory chest bumps, but done sarcastically , like "Great job eh, ya hoser."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 30, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

DC government and a soccer field.

"Sometimes a government doesn't really follow through on what it's saying."

Posted by: OWNTF | October 30, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | October 30, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

The Caps weren't the only only ones. The Wizards, Mystics, and Ravens are still wearing their 90's looking uni's. The worst of the bunch has to be the Ravens. Their merchandise has got to be the tackiest in the NFL along with the Titans.

Posted by: blackandred777 | October 30, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

What that field need is the right signage.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 30, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

MLS has playoffs? I must've forgot.

Posted by: GreenbeltUnited | October 30, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

"needs"
not write well Inglish

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 30, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

It appeared the refs' collective judgment was that Onstad was baited somehow. Whether they saw or *heard* something prior to the contact, or whether iit's just Montero's rep affecting their judgment, it's hard to tell. In either case, Montero didn't offer much argument.

Overall Salazar was conservative with his cards, even with six (?) given out. A few dangerous/reckless tackles and persistent fouls got off with verbal warnings. Ljungberg hounded him for several minutes during play about a late non-call (Ljungberg was probably right, but still unsporting).

Refereeing was a non-story in a tight physical big game. Kudos to the refs.

Given some of the uniforms MLS (and soccer in general) has foisted on the world, Sounders' unis are fine. DC fans might have a particular aversion to them -- nothing wrong with that either.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 30, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Anyone complaining about the Sounders' uniforms obviously hasn't been watching MLS since 1996. Aside from DC (and arguably Columbus) the uniforms were, like, the ugliest in world soccer history:

Seattle's are cool, and so are Houston's. And they look cool on the field together.

Posted by: JamesDougan | October 30, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

What's a kit? To build something, like a car?

Anyway, the jerseys were fine. Puke green and popsicle orange. Fantastic!

Posted by: CDRHoek | October 30, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

There was a game last night? With the World Series and VT losing (seriously, how does that happen?) I didn't notice.

23-Man FIFA World Player Of The Year Shortlist Announced

No one from DCU on the list.

Posted by: Reignking | October 30, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Nowhere in the world is that a red. That's argy bargy not violent conduct. Why would you ever send a player off for bumping another with their chest? It's unsportsmanlike, but however hard Fredy forces himself to fall, it would still never warrant a red.

Posted by: Itsjustbeeritsjustbeer | October 30, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

King

you were watching golf over MLS playoffs,. I need to get my head straight, is Golf that great to watch?

Posted by: Norteno4life | October 30, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

No one from DCU on the list.
Posted by: Reignking
===============

But two Freedom players on the women's list, Abby and Sonia.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 30, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

What is it about Freddy that sets keepers off? On replay it looks like Pat was yelling at someone else and walked right into Freddy. Or maybe it was intentional. Freddy has a rep for diving and everyone knows that. You need to look at the very first several seconds of the clip. It looked to me that Freddy backed into the keeper, thus obstructing, and giving Jaqua the shot on goal. Anyway, I thought the call was ok.

Posted by: dndlee | October 30, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Any time I see another failure in soccer story with Fenty's name in the article it makes me want to punch someone's lights out. I hope one day the saying, "Fenty lied and then soccer died" does not come true...

Posted by: elfelixg | October 30, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

King

Posted by: Norteno4life

Me? What are you talking about?

On that list...nice to see Luis Fabiano and Diego. But Henry? No way.

Posted by: Reignking | October 30, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The yellows were spot on. I enjoyed the match. I hope Seattle can pull it off in the second leg.

Posted by: Matte | October 30, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Montero again? Hmmm ...
Looked to me that he started to fall as soon as he saw Onstad advancing. Yellows for both is a fun way to get the call right.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | October 30, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

and btw, fenty is a dirtbag.

Posted by: Matte | October 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

IMHO the call was correct. Good game, too.

Posted by: carnack | October 30, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

That was an exciting game, and the atmosphere was electric. You know I happen to like Seattle's jersey colors. They're not so bad. It's different and that sea of green was a thing of beauty. That was a heck of a game - a goal would have been nice, but it was a decent MLS match.

Seattle's fans bring it. They bring the energy, they bring the noise they bring the passion. Second to us of course, but man you have got to give them some love for that. 35K+ standing, chnating and singing for the full 90 for a mid week game? Are you kidding me? They made that game a spectacle last night. They did our league proud. Big ups, Seattle. Big ups. Seattle in the final would be a wicked coupe for this league - I am hoping to see that.

Here's hoping the remaining games try to follow suit.

Posted by: Kosh2 | October 30, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the soccer field piece -- there was a similarly-themed piece that ran in the City Paper in April about the National Park Service's seeming campaign to eliminate soccer-playing. The piece described all the barriers the Service had put up in parks around the city to prevent soccer players from chewing up the grass.

Posted by: fischy | October 30, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

========================

Okay, now name all the players wearing those 1996 jerseys in the last picture. (A quiz!)

Posted by: wichne | October 30, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah...Freddy Montero. Something about that kid just irks people in tis league, no? It makes you wonder what little things he's doing to get under people's skin so. I'm all for it. I just ask that he quit with the diving - no one likes that and it's not a good reputation to earn in a physical league, where one day, Ugo Ihemelu will catch you and some ref will blow play on. The kid's good and seems to know how to get into defender's heads. He's young and his game will improve. What a catch for the league.

Oh yeah, correct call. Pat should have known better. Red? I think not.

Posted by: Kosh2 | October 30, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rosslyn45 | October 30, 2009 10:01 AM |

But Soehn, Kasper, et. al. had to trade him for a mediocre goalie who hung up his cleats for personal reasons.

Good trade there guys......

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 30, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

and btw, fenty is a dirtbag.

Posted by: Matte | October 30, 2009 11:33 AM
=================================

Do you mean Fenty is a dirtbag because of this?............

"Thank you Kevin for this D.C. United jersey and congratulations on your terrific season," Fenty said. "It is great to see over 20,000 fans here at RFK supporting D.C. United. It is my hope that your fans will soon be coming to your brand new soccer stadium at Poplar Point in Anacostia. World class fans, and a world class team like D.C. United, deserve a world class stadium. AND I AM GOING TO MAKE IT A PRIORITY TO HELP YOU BUILD THAT STADIUM. Thank you -- congratulations and good luck to the Black-and-Red!"

-Adrian Fenty on Oct 29 2006 (right before a mayoral elction mind you)

link to full article: http://www.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20061031&content_id=77524&vkey=news_dcu&fext=.jsp&team=t103

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 30, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Good trade there guys......

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 30, 2009 11:50 AM

Hindsight is 20/20. Boswell was not good enough for the club formerly known as DC United. He's still a slow, marginal defender. But in MLS, slow and marginal defenders are the equivalent to Gianluca Zambrotta.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 30, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

That was at the Palladium on 14th Street, now the site of an NYU dorm.

Top row, l to r

Ramos, Wegerle, Doug Logan?, Harkes, Burns, Sorber

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | October 30, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff in Seattle. That club is great for the league.

Phillies in six.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 30, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Kevin Payne. 0-0 ties are a poor advertisement for the league. What a boring match. Too bad neither team played the DC United Swinging Gateā„¢ brand of defense. Then we would have had an exciting season followed by an extended playoff run.

What? That was the playoffs? Nevermind. Maybe Seattle should have hosted the US Open Cup Final, too.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | October 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"Oh yeah...Freddy Montero. Something about that kid just irks people in tis league, no?"

Last week vs Dallas notwithstanding, Montero doesn't particularly dive more than then typical MLS forward.

And I have no idea what irks people about him. He is by all accounts a very polite soft spoken kid. $5 says that if a white kid behaved the same way he wouldn't irk nearly as many people though.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | October 30, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Onstad will retain his title of D-Bag of the year for a record fourth consecutive year. Kudos to you, Pat.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | October 30, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

So people don't like him because he's not white????? He's obviously doing something people don't like. I don't understand how him being a white boy would change anything.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 30, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | October 30, 2009 1:10 PM

you mean like Taylor "floppy" Twellman?

Posted by: CDRHoek | October 30, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Steve, the crowd in was sensational because it's well known that Seattle fans are the best in MLS.

Sorry, they're the best in the world.

(What was I thinking?)

Posted by: mmathai1 | October 30, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Seattle fans do bring it. I was thinking last night that based on their 1st year's attendance, they seem to have twice the number of hardcore fans as DC United has.

I wonder how much of their and Toronto's success has to do with their having urban stadia (and what this means for DC United, given our failed negotiations with the city).

Sorry to digress, but I've gotta say something about the National Park Service and soccer. This morning, I heard a WAMU commentator criticize Obama for exercising solely with males. I see a connection.

Given our nation's obesity problem, I find it very ironic that a government agency would be trying to place obstacles to adults exercising and that people could find any fault whatsoever with how our president exercises. In the area of exercise, our last two presidents have set a pretty good example!

Posted by: billindmd | October 30, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

jaqua headkick video please. i missed it.

Posted by: patjshaz | October 30, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

But two Freedom players on the women's list, Abby and Sonia.

Posted by: I-270Exit1
*****

That's pretty awesome! Sonia is the shiznit. I think if the Sol won the WPS, they'd give it to Marta (for the 4th time), but my guess is it goes to a German player after their Euro victory.

Posted by: JamesDougan | October 30, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I was standing right behind the goal when Onstad bumped Montero. He ran him over...Montero was not expecting it and wasn't even looking at Onstad.

Montero may have acted just a little...but people...Montero is really, really small...and Onstad is a big guy...who was pissed...

I looked at the replay 5 times...and have concluded that Onstad thought that Montero intentionally ran into him to prevent him from getting to a cross.

Montero did crash into Onstad...but if you look closely...a Houston defender wraps his arms around Freddy and shoves him into Onstad's path.

Probably a good decision to give Onstad only a yellow...but Montero didn't do crap.

Oh..and the ref was terrible by the way...I have no idea how Houston ended with 11 guys.

They commited 3x the fouls that Seattle did...yet the cards handed out were equal. Not allowing advantage on Jaqua's "goal"? Hurtado two foots a guy..and no call? He missed things all over the field...was really inconsistent on handing out cards..etc.

Having said that...I think the game would have still ended 0-0....but the ref had little control of the game.

And guys...I'm a DC fan...not a Sounders freak.

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | October 30, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

twice the number of hardcore fans? does it count if they're just jumping on the bandwagon and will stop coming if the team doesn't do well? Is anyone still wearing shredded jeans, and flannel pajama tops around town these days?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 30, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

It's easy- keepers don't like Fredy because he scores goals, assists on goals, and makes them look foolish. And he's young (an upstart) on an expansion team (more upstarts) that have made the aging prima donnas of the MLS look bad.

There are players who dive much more Fredy, and no one is ragging on them all the time. What it really amounts to is sour grapes.

Posted by: captainwierd | October 30, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

montero = the new carlos ruiz

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 30, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

RE: FIFA player of the year - women.

It's unacceptably lazy that the women's list on Goal.com is not formatted like men's list? How hard is it to add some flags and list the players' clubs and ages. For all but the Germans, the info is on the WPS site. I complained to the "Contact us" link, but I doubt I'll get a response.

And I had to look up Mana Iwabuchi. She's on Japan's U17 team. POTY candidate? Seriously?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 30, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

montero = the new carlos ruiz

Posted by: birdynumnum
-------------------------------------------
And that is why I do not like the player.

Posted by: yankiboy | October 30, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

last night's game confirmed how poor the officiating in this league is...poor display.

Posted by: nico78 | October 30, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Wendell_Gee:

You honestly think that Montero brings out the ire of opposing players and fans because of his race? Really? You don't think it's at all possible that he's disliked because he usually hurts opposing teams and often feigns injury?

Ask DC fans how they feel about Taylor Twellman. He dives, he scores lots of goals against us, and he's largely hated here. He could be of any race, and it wouldn't matter. Inserting race into this is absolutely ridiculous.

mmathai1:

Don't forget, Seattle fans also invented MLS, the idea of supporting a sports team, and the wheel.

captainwierd:

I have to agree with you, to a certain extent.

Seattle is a big deal right now, so naturally they'll garner more attention. Old complaints about diving from the traditional MLS divers like Blanco seem silly; it's like telling someone that the sun will come out tomorrow. Montero, however, is a new diver, and worse yet, he's also banging in goals. Naturally, the complaints about diving in MLS will focus on someone who is both new and successful.

That said, you've really got to be wearing some massive rave green blinders if you think Montero isn't amongst the most likely players to take a dive in MLS. No one ends up on the ground that often playing honestly.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 30, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wendell_Gee
-------------------------------------------
Bro, please tell me that you are yanking our chain on that one.

Kinda like when some posters on here post "coz so and so hates soccer"...

You were goofing us, right?

Posted by: yankiboy | October 30, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

@Wendell_Gee

What I'm talking about yanking the chian would be like when I saw this piece and I oringinally thougt about posting the following (sarcastic) comment:

"Coz if Pat Onstad wasn't CANADIAN we wouldn't even be having this discussion on whether or not he deserved any card at all. There would have been no cards given and Goff wouldn't have brought it up. Xenophobia and racism--get it out of the game!"

But then I realized that just like when some of the posters tack on here "Coz Seth Blatter (or anyone else who we happen to be discussing) HATES SOCCER!!!" There is always someone who posts here who maybe doesn't follow the silliness of the blog who wouldn't get the running gag.

Now I feel like I am a day late and a dollar short again--coz ya must have been goofing. I just missed the obvious. Yet again...

Posted by: yankiboy | October 30, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: captainwierd
-------------------------------------------
Nope. No sour grapes here. None at all. Of course, it is a lot easier for you to just assume that it is sour grapes.

What is the complaining about the kid diving really amounts to is that Fredy Montero is currently the MLS king of the divers. The kid is shamelesss. Great player. Great diver. When he stops diving, he'll get even more respect. The diving is the only negative crique that comes to mind when I think of Montero. The series of thoughts in my dome goes something like.

"Man, that kid can play! What a dangerous piece to have. Seattle lucked out getting that kid. Playing like that, he won't stay in MLS for too long. We better enjoy his mastery while we can" and quickly moves to "For the love of God, Carlos Freaking Ruiz 2!"

Now it is pretty much "Hey great play and no diving!!!"

Posted by: yankiboy | October 30, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@ Wendell_Gee - dude, seriously?

Posted by: Kosh2 | October 30, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Onstad looks like/reminds me of that Balloon Dad dude.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 30, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of fashion, I'm tempted to observe that first Christian Gomez, and now Nate Jaqua, are sporting the "Red Badge of Courage" look.

Posted by: universityandpark | October 30, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Montero's one of the MLS players I'm happy to pay to see, but let's dispense with the whole "Rudy" thing. Montero was a huge star in Colombia before coming to MLS, and surely has a European and international career ahead of him. Whoever you are, just enjoy this while you still can.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 30, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

======================

Misogynist pig. I KNEW it. But if he were white, I bet no one would complain.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 30, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Seattle loves rave green so much that even the Seahawks are using it.

Who's next, the Mariners? Imagine Ichiro in rave green...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 30, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Seahawks changed up their colors years ago, and have had a tiny bit of that color in the scheme since then. Most notably in the hawks eye. I think the shade is slightly different in the Sounders jerseys but it's hard to tell them apart if they're different at all.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 30, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

oops maybe I should have read your link before stating the exact same thing in my post...sorry.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 30, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Boswell was traded for very much the same reason Soehn put Szetela in teh doghouse: Off-the-field lifestyle issues. Soehn has zero tolerance for those players of this generation who actually have a life off the field and feel to some extent that life is worth enjoying. Having lost confidence in Perkins at the end of 2007, he would off-loaded him as well had Troy not gone to Europe. Needing to replace Troy and hating Boswell's approach to life, it is so ironic that he traded Bobby for a GK who promptly pulled a Dean Moriarty, the strongest act of sport-team independence. This team will be so better off if Soehn and his buttboy protector Kasper are the next ones off-loaded.

Posted by: lgm6986 | October 30, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't take rave green blinders to question the rap Montero has been given- it takes having actually watched all 30 Sounders games this year, plus the Open Cup (not just the final). Fredy doesn't dive near what people accuse him of.

Take just last night, and all of the people claiming Fredy flopped. Watch the replay, folks- and take a look also at the earlier shove Onstad gave Montero. It is at 1:35 in the highlights (the incident leading to the cards is at 2:00).

I see a pattern here, and it ain't Montero.

Posted by: captainwierd | October 30, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I cannot stand Fredy Montero. Sure he's a good player, but he embellishes everything, he's a dirty player, and he takes cheap shots... He reminds me of a certain #87 (hockey reference for those who don't follow)

Posted by: wis193 | October 30, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

My favorite part of the video is Onstad's imitation when he walks up to the scrum and then comes out clutching his face.

Posted by: wis193 | October 30, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | October 30, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

We shall see what kind of staying power the Seattle Sounders supporters have.

Posted by: billindmd | October 30, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Let's look at the Seattle Sounders of the NASL days-
1974- 13,434 average
1975- 16,818 average
move to Kingdome
1976- 23,828
1977- 24,226
1978- 22,578
1979- 18,998
1980- 24,246
decline of NASL
1981- 18,224
1982- 12,539
1983- 8,181

Until the league began to fail, they showed pretty steady support- at a level most MLS teams would still envy.

We are not fading any time soon.

Posted by: captainwierd | October 30, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Don't you metro natural doosh bags have a west coast appreciation blog you could go troll? We don't care!

Posted by: DadRyan | October 30, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

We have two pretty clear cases of Unsporting Behavior here. A chest bump is one, and falling to the ground like you've been struck in the face when you got bumped is the other. The CR gave Montero a card to say, "Don't lie to me, boy."

Posted by: mason08 | October 30, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Sorry DadRyan- as long as you trashtalk our team and players, we are here.

Mason- the two fouls are Onstad's push on Fredy on the corner, followed by Onstad's knocking Fredy down and trash-talking over him.

Of course, most of you never recognized Wick's thuggery, so why would you recognize Onstad's?

Posted by: captainwierd | October 31, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

YOu guys are such cry babies. Calling everyone thugs and your players are always clean, always fair, always right. Total BS. What about bottle throwing fans and idiots who boo fair calls?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 31, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse