Happy Hondurans

The scene in Honduras last night after the Catrachos secured their first World Cup berth in 28 years:

By Steve Goff  |  October 15, 2009; 12:25 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: Davies Family Statement

Comments

I'd like to see video at the precise moment the US tied it up against Costa Rica. Surely this was well after that.

Posted by: ah___ | October 15, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Any word if Bornstein is going to accept the offer from the interim Pres for the all expenses paid trip to Honduras?

He'd be treated well . . certainly.

Posted by: delantero | October 15, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I especially like the "Gracias USA, I love you" sign in the video. I'm glad Honduras made it through. Makes Concacaf more than a three-team conference. Similar to T&T last time.

Posted by: ManuteBogues | October 15, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

If anyone has video of their reaction right when the goal was scored, please post it. I think that video would be pretty awesome.

Posted by: Baltimore1202 | October 15, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

As a nation, Honduras needed the boost.

Perhaps for Hondurans it's the "Header Heard 'Round the World?"

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 15, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Not a video, but a radio call from the Honduran broadcasters in San Salvador.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | October 15, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

That's what it's all about. I hear non-soccer fans comparing the WC to the Final Four, but that video is clear evidence you can't compare the two. Congrats Catrachos!

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | October 15, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

This is amazing. Especially the guy at 0:50. I have tears in my eyes!

Posted by: nycrishi | October 15, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about you guys, but I got goosebumps from hearing that. That's what soccer is about right there. So glad for Honduras to be joining the US (and Mexico) as the CONCACAF representatives. Now let's hope that Costa Rica beats Uruguay and joins the others in a 4-strong CONCACAF contingent.

Posted by: elrene017 | October 15, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

i am such a wimp. listening to that audio clip with tears in my eyes! thanks reddevil.

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 15, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Thats what soccer is all about. US fans still have a way to go but we are moving in the right direction. Once the numbers fall in our favor (increased US Fans) then soccer will be a sport on a totally diffrent level, not because of the skill, attendance, big name players etc. but because the passion that exists in soccer/futbol.

Posted by: Norteno4life | October 15, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

That is a touching clip, wow, great passion there.

Posted by: CityBlues | October 15, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

So in Honduras it will be the Canadian tourists with the flag of Estados Unidos on their backpacks, eh?

Also this makes Jonathan Bornstein, along with Yankel Rosenthal, the great Honduran soccer machers.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 15, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Next year in South Africa I'll be supporting both the US and Honduras. And if that terrible oaf Casey gets any playing time, then I may just support Honduras.

Posted by: rmontcal | October 15, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

So glad to see Honduras advance after that sickening display by Costa Rican players and coaches yesterday. Not an ounce of respect for the game. And I'm under the impression that the Hondurans were very good to us even after we came back and beat them last weekend. Again, they deserve it and I was proud to send the Ticos home.

Posted by: FAkeemail9875 | October 15, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if the US qualifies for the knock-out stages in June, I will go dancing in my local public fountain as well... Anybody care to join?!?

Posted by: rademaar | October 15, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Not sure about the Tegucigalpa Men's Precision Underwear Dancing Team, but . . . great stuff!

Posted by: dccal | October 15, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

. . . . we can all do the Fanne Fox in the Tidal Basin . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | October 15, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

. . . . we can all do the Fanne Fox in the Tidal Basin . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | October 15, 2009 4:01 PM |
****************
You do realize that half of the people on this blog weren't born yet, don't you?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 15, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Posted by: Reignking | October 15, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Is that like the Lindy?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 15, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Sigh.

Back when a Congressman knew how to have a good scandal.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 15, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I just thought it involved us shaking our asses.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | October 15, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

. . . . we can all do the Fanne Fox in the Tidal Basin . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | October 15, 2009 4:01 PM |

Are we supposed to sleep with our local congressman/women first?

Posted by: rademaar | October 15, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

The anger that we all had towards the Honduran soccer federation sure has gone away fast ;)

If the US plays Honduras in the World Cup, will that match be on closed circuit?

Posted by: DCUMD | October 15, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

A video of some happy Yanks at RFK:

Posted by: georgejones5 | October 15, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

My allergies keep messing with me.

Posted by: sitruc | October 15, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | October 15, 2009 2:45 PM

Well played, sir!!!

Posted by: fischy | October 15, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

That video and audio clip is what sports are all about. Congratulations Honduras!

Posted by: croftonpost | October 15, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Another video of the fans in Honduras after qualifying -

Posted by: hartford1 | October 15, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

As an American who lives in Honduras, I am so happy that both of *my* teams are going to the World Cup.
Honduras is truly joyful today. Last night they were ONE nation, united in cheering on their team and rejoicing with the last minute goal by US.
Today my son came home from school telling me that most of the kids at school were going up to him and saying "Thank you". I asked him why and he said, "Mommy, that's because the US goal gave Honduras the *ticket* to the World Cup"
Hondurans are so grateful to the US team.

Posted by: FortBliss | October 15, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Loved the clips, that radio clip was just purely awesomeness.

Shows the true passion for the sport. Good job Honduras.

Posted by: dogboy | October 16, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse