Terps Player Released From Hospital

Sophomore Alex Lee, a starting defender for the defending NCAA champion Maryland Terrapins, was released from George Washington Hospital on Tuesday after being hit by a car while crossing a street near Dupont Circle in Washington Saturday night. Citing privacy issues, the university did not disclose the nature of his injuries. Coach Sasho Cirovski said: "We'll know more in five to seven days" about his possible return to school and soccer future.

Before sixth-ranked Maryland's game at No. 16 Georgetown on Tuesday afternoon (a 2-1 victory), Cirovski and the players were told that Lee had been released from the hospital. After the game, Hoyas Coach Brian Wiese told Cirovski that USA forward Charlie Davies, a former Boston College star who played against Maryland several times in the ACC, had been involved in a serious automobile wreck.

"The last 72 hours have been the most emotionally draining of my coaching career," Cirovski said.

During the match, the players honored Lee, who starred at Magruder High in Rockville, Md., by wearing wristbands with "A.L. #18" written on them.

The players have "come together and mae the Maryland soccer family proud," Cirovski said. "This win is dedicated to Alex."

By Steve Goff  |  October 14, 2009; 11:34 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Charlie Davies Updates
Next: Matchday: USA-Costa Rica

Comments

just typed a long post, but deleted it since I figured people would trash me for talking soccer on a soccer blog when a tragedy has occurred. and no argument; people getting hurt or killed is a tragedy.

Posted by: troy6 | October 14, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Just a horrible week for some of the best young American soccer players.

@troy -- this is a soccer blog. People are killed every day in auto accidents. We are hearing of these because of the soccer connection. Yes, there have been tragedies and near-tragedies this week, along with debilitating injuries. You should feel free to discuss them or sporting matters, if tastefully and respectfully done. It would be disingenuous to pretend our interest here isn't about the sport.

Posted by: fischy | October 14, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

fischy. I agree

Posted by: jsm3 | October 14, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Playing with the kid in high school, I might be able to get some more info. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Posted by: redskinsux | October 14, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Precisely, fischy.

This is brutal, what's happening here - all these young promising people. This hurts.

Posted by: Kosh2 | October 14, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Alex Lee during his recovery. Hope he can suit up for the Terps again. And definitely hope he can return to College Park to complete his degree.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 14, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, checking in from the hotel computer where I just printed out my number 9's for the game tonight.

All this going on truly does suck, but let's make tonight what sport is, a way to get out and away from the gloom and doom of daily life, and enjoy it. Sure, I think there should likely be a moment of silence for the girl who lost her life, and I'm all down for the 9th minute tribute, and maybe even seeing supporter's groups doing (likely horrible versions of) the stanky leg, but let's go out and support the men on the field, and enjoy those 90 minutes while we have them, eh?

Also, first time in the city, and I love it. Yall got some nice goings on around here. See you guys at the game tonight.

STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 14, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Also, what is the RFK rule on backpacks? I'd rather not have to carry my little camera bag, 9 sheets, and banner in my hand on the train and all, so if I can take my backpack in, that would be just wonderful.

Thanks.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 14, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to town, Jacob. Have a great time!

Posted by: Kev29 | October 14, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Better off without the backpack at RFK. Or a long lens.

And let's hope they enforce this policy strictly:

No "Whistles or air horns of any kind"

Posted by: OWNTF | October 14, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 14, 2009 1:18 PM

Jacob - here's the RFK policy from United's page. I have to assume that this will be in effect tonight...

Bags & Backpacks
Guests may not bring hard containers or coolers into RFK Stadium. No bags larger than 16 inches x 16 inches x 8 inches will be allowed into the stadium. All bags are subject to inspection.

I've brought in backpacks before without problem - they'll just search it.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 14, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Back packs are ok. They'll just search it. Keep your unmentionables in your pockets... ;-)

Large Courier type bags are a problem, but I've also seen smooth talkers get them right on in.

Anyone know how much the parking is going to be tonight? Looking like one of my neighbors is driving and we're bringing a grill!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | October 14, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

there we go, fellas. tonight is a celebration of the sport and all that is positive about it.

i just deleted my first post because as a Maryland grad, a Washingtonian, and a US citizen, it seemed like every team I support was getting slammed...and, obviously, it ain't all about me.

funnily enough, Fischy's first line is almost exactly how i had started.

Jacob: welcome to DC! may I suggest pre-match preparations in Lot 8 of the stadium; post-match at the Tune Inn on Penn. Ave?

sure hope the folks behind me tonight are cool, because I don't intend to sit down during the game.

Posted by: troy6 | October 14, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I've been turned away from the gate with a standard sized backpack before. Had to find a friend in Lot 8 who let me store it in the trunk of their car during the game...although I probably could've just gone to the next gate over and gotten in without a hassle.

Posted by: EdTheRed | October 14, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Have a great time, JofA!

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 14, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to RFK -- the Cult Center for Soccer Insideristas. Have a great time at the game. I second Troy6's recommendation to make your way down to the Barra Brava (Lot 8) where they don't know the meaning of the word stranger.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 14, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow -- Ireland must be really kicking themselves over that last minute goal allowed to Italy. Right now, Cyprus is up 2-0 over Italy. Ireland could've been on top of the group, with the automatic bid.

Posted by: fischy | October 14, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

OT, but just got a blackberry. I can find SI with the browser, but only Goff's original posting appears. No comments. Any tech savvy folks out there know what's wrong?

Posted by: troy6 | October 14, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Gotta click on "comments" and they'll open up. Slowly on mine though.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 14, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow -- that must have been interesting. Gilardino gets a hat-trick in the last 15 minutes to pull out a win and rescue Italy's reputation.

Swiss are in. Greece in the playoffs. Ukraine in the playoff ahead of Croatia. Portugal about to clinch their playoff spot, so Ibra will be the first star to miss this Cup. Serbia with an embarrassing loss to Lithuania, but they'd already clinched -- France move on to the playoffs. Slovakia clinging to a 1-0 lead and 1st place over Slovenia, with 20 minutes left.

Posted by: fischy | October 14, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | October 14, 2009 3:13 PM

Yeah, but Italy has it on cruise control today (and still came back to win). Both teams played poorly with nothing on the line (Ireland goalless draw at home v Montenegro).

Talk is that Ireland will have to play Portugal in the playoff - due to seeding estimates. Ouch.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 14, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Reposting from an earlier thread...

@fischy -

I don't know if you're even going to read this at this point, but I did want to respond to your mocking my posting the urban dictionary link. Let me first say that I read this blog much more often than I comment and I normally agree with 90% of your posts. All I was doing by posting the urban dictionary link for "irregardless" was trying to lighten the mood. Clearly, Davies' accident was horrific and terribly unfortunate for him and for all involved, especially the girl who died and her friends and family. The fact that I chose not to comment on the accident does not mean that I am not in support of Davies' full recovery, or that I somehow missed the seriousness of the issue and subsequent conversation on this blog. I simply felt that enough had already been said, and my commenting that I feel for everyone involved would have been a bit redundant. I noticed the side conversation about irregardless, which I hate as a word, and decided to put in my two cents. Clearly you were quite emotional about the accident, more so than I was. However, the fact that I posted something off topic to the thread's subject does not mean that I am infantile and without a heart. I, too, wish for Davies' quick recovery. Obviously I feel for the girl's family who died, and for the other person in the car. Let's just try to realize that we all have our own perspectives. I don't think I said anything rude, discourteous, or ignorant about the Davies situation, I simply responded to another "infantile" poster.

Posted by: CYork1 | October 14, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

The UEFA playoff 8 look set to be...

Portugal
Greece
Russia
France

Ireland
Slovenia
Bosnia
Ukraine

Seeding and draw (from Wiki)

The matches will be played on 14 and 18 November 2009, with a draw for the ties to be held in Z├╝rich on 19 October. The eight teams will be seeded according to the world rankings to be released on 16 October. The top four teams will be seeded into one pot, with the bottom four teams seeded into a second. A separate draw will be conducted to decide who will host the second leg.[7]

Posted by: Kev29 | October 14, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I've had a thought. We've seen players in other American sports marker their uniforms slightly with a player's number or initials in support of someone gravely injured or suffering a recent loss. Could we see that from our guys tonight? It'd make a great picture for Davies and his loved ones to see as he watches the game from a hospital. Don't know if that would violate any FIFA uniform regs, but I doubt FIFA would agree to let all the players wear an armband, even one with #9 on it.

Also, I've had my bags searched consistently- though not thoroughly- upon several treks into RFK.

Posted by: Rosslyn45 | October 14, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@cyork -- it wasn't even particularly directed at you. There was some ridiculous back-and-forth on a bunch of things that seemed inappropriate to me. I agree with everything you wrote about the discussion, except to say that I didn't find that tangent much better. Whatever merit it had in being off-topic seemed to also make it a tad absurd, but it was hardly the reason I posted. If anything, I just riffed off of your urban dictionary reference for similar reasons, even if I made my post more confrontational.

Posted by: fischy | October 14, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

If you felt I was insulting or criticizing you, you have my apologies.

Posted by: fischy | October 14, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

No worries fischy! GO USA!

Posted by: CYork1 | October 14, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

We're thinking of Alex Lee, as fans of the Terps. We haven't heard much about his injuries or his prognosis, even though he's out of the hospital. Alex is a tough player, always on the heads-up to do his part, running around in his red shoes. We will miss him. Wish we had his e-mail address!
Cheers for tonight, dress warm, all! We're taking an extra poncho if anyone needs one. I hope someone is printing out a lot of extra '9s' cause our printer is on the fritz. Vamos USA!

Posted by: sbuck | October 14, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse