Matchnight: DCU at Toluca

With a win, D.C. United is in. With a tie or loss, the wait begins.

United can clinch second place in group play of the CONCACAF Champions League by beating Toluca, but as we all know, American teams don't win in Mexico. Nothing like 90 minutes of futbol at nearly 8,800 feet. Is this the night for a breakthrough? Hmmm.....

Marathon visits Jabloteh on Thursday, so if DCU settles for a tie or suffers a loss, it will need the Hondurans to do the same in T&T.

DCU LINEUP: Cronin; Vaughn, James, McTavish, John; Fred, Szetela, DiRaimondo, Khumalo; Emilio, Pontius. Subs: Kocic, Jakovic, Habarugira, Wallace, Shipalane, Allen, Gomez. No, I don't get it either. DiRaimondo, I believe, has made three appearances (one start) in the past 2 1/2 months.

Kickoff: 8 p.m. ET.
TV: Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts are welcome.

By Steve Goff  |  October 20, 2009; 7:01 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: United Rewind

Comments

Will we ever understand Soehn's tactics?

Vamos United!

Posted by: redskinsux | October 20, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

anyone know if this game's available
on the internet? I can't get FSC at my hotel in Dallas and doesn't seem to get a stream from the Fox Sports site.

Posted by: sevnshvn | October 20, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you, Goff. No way I would have guessed that line up! I guess if you tinker with the line up most of the season, why not keep going? At least your opponents can't predict what you will put on the field, either. Just doesn't make sense if your own players are in the same boat.

Posted by: spata2 | October 20, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

While I love the boys in Black and Red, I just don't see us going forward in CCL or MLS. I think Sunday, our boys will be on vacation and Soehn will be looking for a new job. Truly sad. Oh, well...there's always that small little league over in England to watch until next March.

Posted by: nytshade71 | October 20, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

they have the DC game. Enjoy I will be in class

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 20, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I am optimistically hopeful. No one expects us to do anything (especially with that line-up), this may be the game and the chance.

Posted by: boda-united | October 20, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

"I just don't see us going forward in CCL or MLS. I think Sunday, our boys will be on vacation and Soehn will be looking for a new job."

I hope Soehn is fired even if he finds a way to sneak in either tournament.

Posted by: redskinsux | October 20, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm just happy Szetela's in the starting 11.

Posted by: Section117 | October 20, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

grubbsbl - you've never streamed a game in class before? You just haven't been trying hard enough, son.

Posted by: TheAMT | October 20, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Why even make Jakovic take the flight if you're not going to start him?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 20, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Too bad the final group games aren't played at the SAME TIME.

Advantage Marathon.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 20, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

United WILL WIN tonight...have a little faith.

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 20, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

thanks Grubbsbl!

Posted by: sevnshvn | October 20, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

VAMOS UNITED!! I hope they do better than my CL fantasy team did today!

Remember, deep breaths during the game and oxygen tanks at halftime!

Posted by: rademaar | October 20, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope Szetela can give us hope for future developments. A lot has to go, but we need a young, talented spine to make that happen.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 20, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Mark my words:
If we win, Soehn will stay
If we lose, Soehn goes

Posted by: BarraPuta | October 20, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a small crowd. Is CCL no big deal the Mexican fans?

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 20, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Shot had a weird hook on it, Cronin almost caught.

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

GOALLL PONTIUS!

Posted by: redskinsux | October 20, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Pontius Gooooooooooooaaaaaaaalllllllll!

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 20, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Pontius! Golaso!!

Posted by: Kev29 | October 20, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

That was a rocket!

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 20, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Golaso-aso-aso-aso! Pontius!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 20, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY! GOLAZZZZOOOO!!! GOLLLLLLLLAAAAAZZZZOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: the_slammer | October 20, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

P P P P P PONTIUSSSSSSSSS!!!! GOLAZO!

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | October 20, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Just don't go straight to bunker

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 20, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Szetela getting a yellow in the 8th minute is not going to help

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | October 20, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

cronin didn't look good on that free kick. command the penalty area, boy!

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 20, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Just don't go straight to bunker

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish
----------------

yeah, brutha. if we sit now back they'll bomb us.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 20, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow world class goal from pontius !!!!!

Vamos!!!

Posted by: strago | October 20, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Ya es hora que DCU le gane al Toluca!!! Coño!!!!!!

Posted by: fedster | October 20, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

MLS should take in consideration Pontius' contributions in the US Open Cup and CCL when voting on Rookie of the year. He has done so much all around.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | October 20, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Whoever dithered about whether Soehn should go or not... there should be no question, whether we crawl into the playoffs or win this game, we all know we need a new direction. We don't deserve this wretched pattern of sluggish play and poor decision making.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 20, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful strike by Pontius, bad challenge by Szetela for a card and the aimless long balls begin. No idea how to feel about this right now.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 20, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

What is Banamex?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 20, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

What is Banamex?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 20, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Way to rain on the parade, Demon.

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 20, 2009 8:20 PM

==================================

Isn't this, um, (wait for it....)

Over egging the pudding?

(Sorry, it's apparently what I do. Fish gotta swim, etc...)

Posted by: JkR- | October 20, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

What is Banamex?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish
==============

A Mexican Bank (owned by Citigroup)

Posted by: emanon13 | October 20, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

DCU looks slow and is giving too much space on defense but u am chalking it up to conserving energy at altitude. The subs will be key.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 20, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

we are giving toluca a lot of space. too much space.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | October 20, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Do my eyes deceive me? 2-0 DC United, with 2 goals by Party Boy in the same minute?

Posted by: delantero | October 20, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Did we just benefit from a poor offside call south of the Rio Grande???

Everybody drink.....

Posted by: JkR- | October 20, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Cuz, that's what Soccernet's gamecast says . .

Posted by: delantero | October 20, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a pretty nice place to see a game.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 20, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

@delantero - just 1-0.

@Khumalo - rein those crosses in, man

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 20, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

delantero- only 1-0. But the way we are moving the ball 2-0 might not be farfetched.

Posted by: redskinsux | October 20, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a pretty nice place to see a game.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish
-------------------

yeah, it seems like a nice, urban stadium. seating is 27K.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 20, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, nice strike Toluca dude, great save, Cronin, 37 minute...

Posted by: JkR- | October 20, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Don't consider it raining on the parade. We do this every year. As I am emotionally invested in the team, would like to feel good about my team next year. I'm not addicted to the roller coaster that is our success under this regime. "Oh, but we'll be better" yeah, not buying it with this guy anymore. The fact that we haven't made the playoffs yet is pretty unreal.

Glad Pontius scored. I would like him to have a GOOD coach next year.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 20, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Could our lead in this game and our win against Columbus be related to Cronin's play?

Posted by: redskinsux | October 20, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

The worldstadiums.com entry shows the supporters end doesn't have a roof, thus explaining the umbrellas mixed in with the flags.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 20, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Or to rephrase: They way we are playing related to Cronin?

Posted by: redskinsux | October 20, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Cuz, that's what Soccernet's gamecast says
Posted by: delantero
=====================

Soccernet also says that Rubin Kazan beat Barca. How could one guy beat the UEFA CL champions?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 20, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

What's "CORONA"?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 20, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Demon: you are doing better than me, then -- I've almost completely written off this team. Honestly, when Goff posted Szetela's name for the travel roster, I had forgotten that he was even on the team.

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if Toluca is fielding their starters? I dare say this I about as good as you could expect this DC lineup to look. Even Fred looks occasionally inspired.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 20, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

And I don't know who this Justin guy of justin.tv is, but he deserves a Noble Peace Prize for preventing riots within the soccer community.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 20, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 20, 2009 8:48 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Christopher Sullivan all but said 'no'...

Posted by: JkR- | October 20, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Christopher Sullivan all but said 'no'...

Posted by: JkR- | October 20, 2009 8:50 PM

========================================

Yeah, but I can't understand a single word he says half the time anyway.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 20, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Christopher Sullivan is a retard. Plain and simple.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | October 20, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Toluca off the bar!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 20, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Off the crossbar for Toluca!

Posted by: redskinsux | October 20, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

wow, we just lucked out there

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | October 20, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

What's "CORONA"?
Posted by: Rand-al-Tho
================

It's like sex in a canoe because they're both effing close to water.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 20, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Toluca has qualified, right?

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

WOW. I am almost stunned with the way DC has come out and taken a 1-0 lead over the group leaders in Mexico.

Posted by: redskinsux | October 20, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Christopher Sullivan is a retard. Plain and simple.

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | October 20, 2009 8:52 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

If we were together, we'd be thumb wrestling. I like Sullivan.

Admittedly, the bar is set pretty low for FSC color commentators....

1-2-3- go...

Posted by: JkR- | October 20, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Hate to be Debby Downer but we needed three goals going into half, The altitude is going to hit hard the second half.

Posted by: ncguy | October 20, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Columbus down 1nil to Puerto Rico

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | October 20, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Corona=crown=that bud commercial with the cap as a crown=bud=crap yellow beer

It's like 6 degrees of separation.

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Lucky to be up 1-0. Both midfields look disjointed. Were winning a lot of balls but just giving it right back. Toluca is more dangerous but they can't seem to find their rythmn. Cronin has looked really good again. Need to bring on jakovic and move mctavish to midfield. Should also bring on wallace for some fresh legs and energy. Might be able to withstand the storm then....

Posted by: strago | October 20, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

(1) I'd love to see DCU win this and advance in the CCL.

AND...

(2) I'd love to see DCU win at KC and make into the MLS playoffs.

BUT...

(3) I'd hate to see Soehn keep his job because of this.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 20, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Toluca is resting several starters, although some are available on the bench and might sub in soon.

Who should DC sub on?

I'd think about Jakovic and Wallace right now (maybe for DiRaimondo and Khumalo, w McT moving up to d-mid). Then Gomez for the final 20 or 30 minutes. But I don't know how gassed the various starters are feeling.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 20, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Prince.

Posted by: redskinsux | October 20, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Did I actually hear Sullivan say we were one of the best teams in MLS? While I love the black and red, I'm not sure I can agree with that statement. I do like the way he is complimenting us though. Maybe he will be our homer, like Bretos is for LA.

Posted by: torrey151 | October 20, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

torrye: yes, we -were- one of the best :)

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Every time we get a goalkeeper that appears to know what he's doing (compared to the last keeper we had), we seem to go on a winning streak. I'm hoping Cronin is our lucky charm for a few games. Make that six.

Posted by: truk | October 20, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Up 1-0 to start the half. Time for Soehn to bunker.

Posted by: Jaywag86 | October 20, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Sullivan actually said that DCU was the best team to be be showing its style of football to Mexican teams, but I think he really was talking about the IDEAL of DCU, not the team that's on the field tonight. Still, they could eke something out, but it'll be over soon if they just continue to sit back and absorb body punches. No way they can keep Toluca out of the net for 45 more minutes if they keep going the way they're going.

Posted by: loosek | October 20, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I think DiRimando has shown as much as Szetela in this match. Szetela just disappears.

It's OK to be a MF that requires a mule as a partner if you're an artiste. Szetela is not enough of an artiste to have to find a donkey to carry his defensive load.

You can see the potential, and the vision, but work rate matters.

(Steps off soap box)...

Posted by: JkR- | October 20, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Jablomeh doesn"t play tonight? Shouldn't all group stage games that mean something be played at the same time?

Posted by: delantero | October 20, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

ooooo halftime ratings! I would comment, but I'm watching this muted.

It must be the thin air causing Toluca to sky their shots.

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Cronin is really coming off of his line well.

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Wallace with the hustle

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 20, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Goal kick from Wallace's shot? Whut?

Posted by: JkR- | October 20, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Damn. PK for Toluca.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 20, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Pk- was just a matter of time

Posted by: Jaywag86 | October 20, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

All level. :-(

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 20, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Ref looks like TI

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 20, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

pk for what?

Posted by: Section107 | October 20, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

What the duce?!? They pull the same crap on us in the first, right at the top of the box, no bloody foul.

I said, straight to my room mate, watch, we do the same thing, we'll get the call.

Complete BS call.

So far, I have to say, I agree with the subs that he's made so far. Boyzzz wasn't playing that well. All his crosses were off the mark. And now, Jakovic for DiRaimondo.

But, damn, that ref buggered the call, on one end or the other.

Posted by: dogboy | October 20, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

pk for what?

Posted by: Section107 | October 20, 2009 9:27 PM

++++++++++++++++++++

Clumsy defensive challenge from Lawson

Posted by: JkR- | October 20, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm still looking for a rationale for the PK -- especially with no scoring chance. Ref has to realize the player is going down easy.

More CONCACAF bull-oney.

Posted by: Cerealman | October 20, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Lucky no PK there.

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

has the organization finally found a replacement for perkins?? (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc).

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 20, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Dang, I just found out my starting goalkeeper, and easy MOTM, has a first name of 'Steve' and not 'Joe'

Such is life in CCL for an MLS team...

(Who's 'Joe' Cronin? Or should I lay off the Absinthe?)

Posted by: JkR- | October 20, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Ah, love those crosses to no one.

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Joe cronin was a SS for the Red Sox back in the 30s and 40s.

This has been a pretty disjointed half but DC is still showing enough to get a win. It's going to take a lucky bounce or moment of
brilliance though.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 20, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Gawd, Emilio is terrible with the ball at his feet.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | October 20, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how to run a diagonal? All I see up top is people going straight forward.

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

stevie, he really blew that series...

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

emilio just sucks.

Posted by: Section107 | October 20, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

come on jablowme

Posted by: Jaywag86 | October 20, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

don't think i've EVER seen a mexican team (whether national team or club team) end a game without some type of altercation. jeez...what a bunch of red-a@@es.

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 20, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

a black hole of ball movement

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | October 20, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

emilio must be more out of shape than gomez at beginning of the year. I know its tough with the altitude, I am in Toluca about 6 times a year. but geez, for a professional athlete he is ridiculous.

not pretty (what from DCU has been this year?) but a good showing by DC considering the line up and venue.

now we need Marathon to lose or tie.

Posted by: Section107 | October 20, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Gutsy effort at 8,000 ft by the Black and Red. Even if we don't advance tomorrow, this year's showing in the CCL was a huge improvement from last year's debacle. We have a core of players we can build on next year.

Posted by: sbg1 | October 20, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

TS takes McT out and leaves Emilio in? Has anyone seen Emilio? Did he make the trip? He is nothing this year but a speed bump on the field!! We had a real chance to win this one, even though Toluca had 90% of the possession Vaughn was turned around on that foul, but it should not have been a PK.

Posted by: therealfan | October 20, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Some observations:

-Why did DCU always play out wide and then not press forward and go back into the middle again, often ending up back at the halfway line?
-Sohen was badly outdressed by his Toluca counterpart
-Seems like it was a well earned draw, but is a draw enough in this case?
-Good crowd for a CCL match , seemed like a great atmosphere in a cool, urban stadium.
-Cronin is prob the reason why we have earned four points against two tough opponents in a four day span.

I thought coming in that if Rubin Kazan or however you spell it could beat Barcelona, then this was the day that a US team could win on Mexican soil. Ahh, I guess one day it will happen..

VAMOS SAN JUAN JABOLETH!!! T&T helped out the USA last week, see if they can do it again... Maybe we should all call up the T&T government (not a particularly large organization I would bet) and promise to go on vacation there if they were to help us again, lol!

Posted by: rademaar | October 20, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

We have a core of players we can build on next year.

Posted by: sbg1

Seriously?

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

It's really too bad Boyzzz shoez are made of flubber. So many chances in the first half to put the ball some place dangerous in the box only to launch it into outer space. Wallace looked promising, but...
Oh well.
Great goal by Party Boy.
3 points would have been awesome.
I still kinda think the attacker actually sorta pulled Vaughn back behind him to make a meal of it. As someone else pointed out that was hardly a scoring chance, but reminds me a little bit in a way of a PK Tino earned not too long ago.

And for god's sake why did Emilio try to take that free kick?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 20, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Emilio must be the most shunned MLS player to have 40 goals in less than 3 seasons (plus goals in other competitions). Soehn started somewhat of a B lineup which is understandable given the game this weekend in Kansas City is probably more important. He made the subs I thought he should make.

The PK was totally legit although Vaughn's foul may have been unintentional. Even if it was just clumsy on his part, a foul by the defending team in the box should be a PK.

DC played well and did not look gassed like they did when they played at Pachuca in their last significant visit to higher altitude Mexico (last year's Cruz Azul game was after the team had already tanked). Toluca played a relatively slow tempo ball-control game which may have let DC's players avoid some of the fatigue factor.

Hope for an unlikely miracle from 5 loss Jabloteh. But a win at KC Saturday w other good MLS results for us is more likely.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 20, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

A note on Toluca:

The stadium is a bandbox right in the middle of the city, very cool. (I'd forgotten: it's nickname is the "Sweetbox." Thanks Wikis.) Kinda the Wrigley or Fenway of Mexican soccer stadia in that it is urban, quirky, tiny, and the fans sit right on top of the field. Great atmosphere, and the Red Devils' fans are damn close to the most intense around. They have fan club chiefs who dress in Devils' costumes and stand on big ladders in the stands, exhorting everyone on.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | October 20, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Wotta golazo by Pontius. Wish he coulda scored more like that during the season.

Cronin played really well for the most part.

Dang me for jinxing it by thinking "DCU could be the first US team to win in Mexico" at the start of the second half.

It'd be pretty ironic if by some miracle DCU managed to back its way into both the playoffs as well as the CCL knockout stage...

Posted by: Juan-John | October 20, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | October 20, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

We have a core of players we can build on next year.

Posted by: sbg1

Seriously?

Posted by: Reignking | October 20, 2009 10:12 PM
------------------------------------------------------

Pontius, Quaranta, Jakovic and Namoff, if he's healthy. It's a very smll core. And bring back a couple of goalies -- maybe Cronin and Hamid. Wicks wouldn't be bad as a backup. Gomez, if he's willing to take a pay cut, showed he is the only player on the team with any inventiveness and dribbling ability -- but at 34, I would hesitate to say we can build on his contributions. Ditto for Moreno. Maybe McTavish, who is one of the better bench players in MLS.

The rest of the team? There isn't anyone I think need I know everyone else loves Wallace. He has some speed, but can't seem to accelerate fast enough most times...and he can't shoot or cross. Maybe he'll get better -- he is very young. I wish I could say the same about anyone else. The rest of the defense can't defend. I have never seen a worse 1v1 defender than Vaughn. A total hack. James isn't much better, right now -- though his speed continues to seduce. I watched most of the game, and I was amazed that players like Vaughn and Fred are actually paid to do what they do. Paid!!! Freakin' amazing!

Posted by: fischy | October 20, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight for the Soehn haters. In 2009 DC United took 2nd place in Open Cup, we're on the verge of earning MLS playoff spot, and possibly earn CCL bid with a TIE in Mexico. Let's review some hypotheticals. This league is the tightest of any American pro sport. Look at all of them, and there is no professional league in our country with as many playoff scenarios entering the final weekend of the season. As I see it, if DC United could have avoided 3 TIES this season, and instead WIN, we are in 2nd place behind Columbus with 45 points. That's 3 goals, saved or scored. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. Is this something that the "elite" coaches of the MLS could avoid with the 2009 salary cap and the CCL and Open Cup schedules? Seriously, I am happy with our team. We have some veterans who must go, I agree. But this team fights and never quits, better than I can write about some NFL or NBA or MLB teams in this town. I don't know why I even read these posts anymore, so many DC fans live in 1996/99 when the league was completely different and we dominated the MLS. Those days are long gone, it's time to recognize that the salary cap and expansion precludes league dominance by one team. That is what American sports fans want, that's what the MLS wants, and so that's what we're going to get until soccer moves up to a Tier 1 or 2 sport in our country.

GO UNITED and a public thank you to the Front office and coaching staff who give everything they have for this team, this city and the DC fans.

Posted by: sevnshvn | October 21, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

"and we dominated the MLS. Those days are long gone."

I don't think so. I don't think most of the bloggers on this site actually believe, "those days are long gone". I think we expect better than mediocrity. DC United has had way too many utterly disappointing and disheartening performances this season to walk away thinking "Alright, great season!", even if United does make the playoffs and advance in CCL.

We've made some progress in finding some young talent, but our digression in other areas has left everyone, apparently except for sevnshvn, expecting and wanting more from this team.

What separates good from average? And good from the greats?
I think expectations play an unapparent role.

Posted by: redskinsux | October 21, 2009 1:28 AM | Report abuse

I hope I'm not stating the obvious here, but well said redskinsux.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | October 21, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Regarding "let me get this straight for the Soehn haters".
This team started imploding on itself when the FO tried to fix what wasn't broken after the 2007 season, when we won the Supporters Shield! Bringing in the (I'm a gift to this team) Gonzolo Bros and the grossly overpaid cherub named Gallardo was a mistake that started this fall from excellence. Since that time Soehn has tinkered with a defense by bringing in new faces, that change for almost every game. NO CONTINUITY on the field. The back line MUST work together, but it is very hard to do when it changes every week.
No, DCU is not horrible, but we are VERY average, and that can ONLY fall on the shoulders of T. Soehn and the FO. for consistently playing non performers (Emilio and Fred) and for not motivating the older and younger players into a cohesive team.!!

Posted by: patrick18 | October 21, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse