MLS Coaching Status

We're waiting for D.C. United's decision on Tom Soehn and for the New York Red Bulls to do the right thing by retaining Richie Williams instead of importing a European leader. We're anticipating Peter Vermes (3-6-3 as the interim) to hire himself for the full-time gig in Kansas City and for Chicago to determine Denis Hamlett's future.

Meantime, Toronto has begun contacting candidates to replace Chris Cummins, who was let go this week after serving as the interim coach in place of John Carver. And the buzz in the soccer community is that, regardless of what unfolds this postseason, Preki and Chivas USA are likely going their separate ways after three years. The club holds the option on the final year (2010) of his contract.

Perhaps Chivas wants to forge a stronger Latin identity and hire a Mexican coach? Preki in Toronto, perhaps?

And has Gary Smith done enough in Colorado?

Portland and Vancouver, entering MLS in 2011, will also begin assessing their coaching options soon.

Among the names mentioned for current and possible openings are Los Angeles assistants Dave Sarachan and Trevor James, former Kansas City coach Curt Onalfo, Houston assistant John Spencer, Puerto Rico Coach Colin Clarke and Columbus technical director Brian Bliss. If Preki and Williams are liberated, they'll undoubtedly join this group. And if Soehn is let go, Williams would become a prime candidate for DCU, where he spent six years as a player. Onalfo's ties to DCU as a player and assistant, his fluency in Spanish and national team tutelage under maestro Bruce Arena are beneficial.

There's also been speculation about the University of Maryland's Sasho Cirovski, but he has no experience beyond the college game and, even if he were offered an MLS position, he would probably find it very difficult to walk away from what is essentially a well-compensated job for life at a premier program that has refined numerous pro prospects. There's also the issue of control. Last winter, Cirovski told the Insider: "It would have to be the perfect opportunity. I am a hands-on person, and I would want to have a lot of control and power. A lot of people probably wouldn't want to give me that."

What do you think will happen in MLS's coaching circles?

By Steve Goff  |  October 29, 2009; 11:05 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: Payne Fined $5,000

Comments

I would kill for DCU to get Preki.

Posted by: Yarrr | October 29, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

If NYRB don't sign Williams, they're more moronic than I thought. I'm guessing they'll go after some more glamorous appointment, though, something to sparkle up their new stadium.

They should ask LA how the Gullit hire worked out for them...

Posted by: mmathai1 | October 29, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

no preki for me. chivas was incredibly boring to watch (which is wierd since he was such a innovative offensive minded player).

sign me up for dave sarachan (i.e. bruce arena 'lite')

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 29, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

top three choices, knowing that Soehn's contract will not be renewed...

1. Preki
2. Richie Williams
3. Jaime Moreno/Ben Olsen - tandem coaching
and maybe adding John Harkes.

Posted by: supamars11 | October 29, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Yeah lets just keep recycling MLS coaches!!! Go out and get a professional please.

Insanity: doing the same thing and expecting different results

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | October 29, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I know this mightk just be semantics, but any reason Nowak is philly's "manager" and not coach?

Posted by: crocken | October 29, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if MLS has the same kind of tampering rules as the NFL and other leagues. Probably not. I ask because I'm curious to see if other teams are allowed to contact Preki about potential head coach positions before the Chivas season is over. This would make it really hard for Preki to join a new team before the expansion draft, which is just 3 days after MLS Cup.

I don't see Preki to TFC happening. More likely: Preki to NYRB, Williams to DCU.

Or we could see Preki decide to sit out a couple months and wait to see if a spot might open up with the USMNT in June.

Posted by: DCUMD | October 29, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I'd go...

1. Richie Williams
2. Preki (he can get his guys motivated, but man has his Chivas been BORING lately)
3. Dave Sarachan
4. John Harkes
5. Curt Onalfo

Which means Payne/Kasper will go with the equipment manager, or better yet a USL-2 manager.

Jaime/Olsen sounds nice, but these guys have no head coaching experience. They are tremendous players and know our organization inside and out, but there are three more teams coming and I am sick and tired of being a mid table side. I want to drink at the top of the fountain again. I want teams to fear the sight of the black-and-red again. I us to win matches before we even step on the field, AGAIN. I WANT THE GLORY!!!

Jaime/Olsen might have it in them at some point in the future I just don't see it right now. I am so starved for a top table, strong contending side that I don't want to end up hating the guys, these two legends for not delivering.

Posted by: Kosh2 | October 29, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: crocken | October 29, 2009 11:36 AM

Because that's what the position is properly called. Same as baseball, a manager runs the show and a coach assists. Maybe Philly are just using the correct nomenclature, unlike other American clubs.

/ insufferable purist ;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | October 29, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Oh man, Preki would be fantastic...though I'd be perfectly happy if DC hired Richie.

Posted by: EdTheRed | October 29, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

So is Cirovski the Parcells of the soccer world? Does he want to be both coach and GM? I do not think that would work in DCU's structure, but Sacharan is the perfect fit in my opinion. Which is why we should not wait to fire Soehn and hire him. He is defensive minded and that is clearly what we need.

Posted by: no_recess | October 29, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

1) Preki
2) Richie Williams

Thats it. Thats the list.

Posted by: strago | October 29, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Say what you want, but Jason Kreis has gotten his team into the playoffs two years in a row and had no previous head coaching experience.

Whoever said they want Dave Sarachan needs to be lobotomized.

Wilmer Cabrera is a great option. Knows young U.S. talent as well as anyone and can bring more talented and affordable Colombians into the league.

Posted by: StanShmenge | October 29, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind DC going out of the country to hire a coach, but the MLS has too many stupid rules that it makes it difficult to succeed if you don't have prior experience. The MLS has gotten better in this regard, but the salary cap is tough to deal with for anyone who came from a free market system. Klinsman is probably the only big name coach who knows the MLS well enough. I don't think he wants to leave Cali though.

On the domestic side I think Preki would be a fine choice. He might have to atapt his strategy for an offensive approach, but I am sure he could do that. At the same time we could use someone to mold our defense, we do fine at scoring goals after all. I imagine NYRB are going to keep Williams this time around.

In short Klinsman if he is willing, Preki otherwise.

Posted by: bighungry | October 29, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Give Sasho what he wants, total control.
MD plays an agressive, high pressure, all out attacking soccer - something DC hasn't done in the last three years.

Someone mentioned Harkes, he has no coaching experience beyond his daughter's team, don't think he's interested. For that matter, Eddie Pope is still in the neighborhood.

How about Preki and Williams? or Jason Kreis? Better yet, Brian McBride.

Posted by: o35_still_kicking | October 29, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

If Preki doesn't go to KC, I'd be shocked.

If Williams isn't hired by NY or TFC, I'd be shocked.

If Spencer isn't a head coach somewhere (Chicago, CUSA, Colorado, DC, or RSL), I'd be shocked.

Point being, there is way too much turnover to put together a wish list. The list of candidates hinges too much on what other clubs do.

Posted by: jason1551 | October 29, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@ Stan - you are spot on. I am so desperate that I never fully realized I wrote Dave Sarachan as a possible choice. I feel so icky having realized what I just did. Can you spare me the lobotomy though?

@ Ivanovich84 - yup pros, like the ones who have graced the doors of LA (Gals and Goats) and NY. Like bighungry said, getting a "sexy" name is nice and all, but coaching/managing in MLS is a whole differnt animal. I too would like to have a "pro" manage our side but I want an immediate turnaround and I am not willing to suffer another ego go through the motions of learning the difficulties of this league for a few months and then abandon us when he finds out that the salary cap is a real thing. No thanks.

Posted by: Kosh2 | October 29, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Harkes? As a coach? Didn't they try that at the youth level only to have him essentially fired? Yikes, that would be a disaster.

Why not Cirovski? He already lives in the area; and why not give him hands on control? It's not like DC's front office is doing anything right as things are.

Smith will stay in Colorado. He's a good coach, he just needs a little depth so if Colorado losses three or four starters to injury they don't tank again.

Posted by: hacksaw | October 29, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Abel Resino
get him, teach him how to speak english

Posted by: SexyOffender | October 29, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm all alone here and maybe it is an extreme long shot, but I'd like to see Colin Clarke. We've already seen what he could get out of guys that we let go, I'd love to see what he could get out of our full squad.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | October 29, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Nice strike, soft goal by the US U-17.

Posted by: sitruc | October 29, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Why the Richie Wiliams love fest? Talk about not having the right kind of experience for this job. We're supposed to be a flagship club, not some experiment handed over to a guy just because he's a former player and did an ok job at the bulls.

I'm not saying we need a big name coach, but someone like Sarachan, with head coaching and asst. coach in various clubs/environments would be more ideal.

Posted by: delantero | October 29, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

=)

I say we offer Pelligrini a DCU Parachute when Perez pushes him out of the Real Madrid CF Gulfstream.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 29, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I could see Preki to TFC. He and Mo Johnston have been buddies since the KC Wiz days.

Posted by: timmy6 | October 29, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the "give Sasha what he wants" category too. Unfortunately it's obvious that he passed before because he couldn't have that, and there in is exactly the problem we have - top brass who have never played the game themselves yet who fancy themselves experts. I wouldn't take the job either short of total regime change.

Will Chang, please answer the white courtesy phone. Please?

Posted by: dsheon1 | October 29, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CrippledKeeper

I'm sure yankiboy would agree.

Posted by: Reignking | October 29, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I think Preki deserves a shot, He made chivas look good with average players. Who is there best player??? Zach thornton and he was wash up before this year. If Dc lets him find some good talent, once we cut moreno, olsen, emilio and fred. He should have plenty of money

Posted by: Norteno4life | October 29, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

It would be helpful to know why everyone is giving Richie Williams so much credit at the Red Bulls. Did he really turn things around when he took control? If so, what changes did he implement that were so successful? If he was on staff earlier in the year too, doesn't he deserve some of the blame for a horrible season?

I nominate Chest Rockwell.

Posted by: WorldCup | October 29, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Agree with delantero - why the Richie love fest? I'm not a Soehn supporter, but it's sad that our best candidates are Preki, Richie and other MLS retreads.

Is this country that thin on good coaching? I think we know the answer...

Posted by: ddd001 | October 29, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Arena has the kind of control in LA that Cirovski wants in a pro job.

An A-League (Australia) coach could succeed in MLS. They have similar rules with a salary cap and DP-type player.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | October 29, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

no_recess:

Sarachan has put together strong rosters and then done everything in his power to make them middling. I don't recall Chicago Fire fans mourning his departure at all. He strikes me as a great assistant, but not a head coach (sound familiar?).

If we want to go that way, I would expect similar struggles to what we've seen the past 2 years. Honestly, I'd rather get someone I know nothing about, because I know Sarachan will keep this club amongst MLS's middle class, and that's not acceptable.

***

Brief thoughts on the others being thrown around:

Clarke: Ugh. Anyone with a memory long enough to remember his time at FC Dallas would not want to see him on our bench. His current Islanders squad is built to play a type of soccer that we are pretty much the opposite of.

Cirovski: I've held for a long time that Cirovski is the best recruiter in college soccer, and that MD (where I went to school, and have been watching games since '96) mostly just overwhelms opponents by having better players rather than any tactical brilliance. There isn't much coaching going on there, in other words. The Terps almost always have so much more ability in their ranks that tactics don't matter all that much. In MLS, you can't just go get better players than everyone else due to the cap. I feel like that would quickly become a big problem.

Preki: Has knowingly built a roster based on defensive solidity and physical aggression. I imagine that, in his mind, you have one or two guys that can actually break a game (like he could), and the other 9 or 10 players are there to fight and stop the other team's special player. This is not a particularly attractive vision of the game, and frankly I think he'd clash with Payne's vision of quality soccer. Preki doesn't strike me as a guy you can just boss around, so I don't anticipate him taking kindly to having a style that isn't his thrust upon him. He does, however, have more MLS success than any of the currently available possibilities.

Williams: Has a past with DCU. Turning NY's nonsensical roster into an outfit that got results despite having nothing tangible to play for is impressive. He lacks experience somewhat, but since when has that stopped us before (only Rongen had any pro head coaching experience when hired by United)? I'm not saying we absolutely should hire Williams, but I'd take him over any of the other coaches talked about thus far.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 29, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Like the post game ratings this is all pure fun and blog banter - the therapeutic stuff that will hold us over until next season, so everything goes - whatever makes you feel better. BUT I'd have to object to Colin Clarke. No offence to the Islanders or my main man yankiboy, but to me Clarke's Islanders played a brand of football that was hard to watch (and that's putting it nicely). Sure it resulted in some big upsets in a Cup tourney, but a whole season of that stuff? Thanks, but no thanks.

Now it could just be that Clarke has to play that way because of the cards he's dealt, but...I dunno. I just dunno.

Posted by: Kosh2 | October 29, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I disagree that NYRB will go for a glamor boy over Richie Williams. I think they'll make Williams a nice offer and that it'll be hard for him to turn down. Red Bull Arena is in Harrison, NJ which, while accessible from NY, is more on the blue-collar side. It's also a 30 minute drive from Williams' home town. Finally, his style as a player and coach sort of suits the Red Bull brand, if anything does.

If Williams made it known somehow that DC is where he wanted to be, they'd make that happen. But under the circumstances, that's hard to imagine.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 29, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I hear Preki is headed to KC, his natural home. That Onalfo (pay attention to what Goff wrote)may well take the Chivas job because of his resume AND spanish language skills. Few if any teams will go with anyone who does not have experience in the MLS (pay attention to what Mo Johnson said). Richie will be asked to stay in NY and be paid bigger bucks to support the new coach Spencer likely has the inside track on the Toronto job. Everyone else stays put. Sasha will never trade his "super sweet" deal at MD for the trainwreck that is MLS.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | October 29, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit I'd like to see Preki as well. Richie Williams though I liked him as a player, and he has done OK as a NYRB fill-in, I don't know, I am just not that excited about him for the long term.

Posted by: Ron16 | October 29, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Anyone in favor of keeping Soehn? I assume 100% that everyone wants to see him get the boot.

Posted by: supamars11 | October 29, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: supamars11 | October 29, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: supamars11 | October 29, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I... I agree with Chest Rockwell.

Again.

Posted by: B_A_ | October 29, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

whoops...I apologize for the previous two posts.

Posted by: supamars11 | October 29, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Everyone here is assuming that Soehn is going to be fired. I agree that he should be fired, but I still see some DCU management confidence on him for some reason.

Posted by: fedster | October 29, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I think the FO's confidence in Soehn can be summed up by a simple comparison to another club: New York. We have been on the bubble two years in a row now, with lots of injuries and outside competitions to worry about. We've won trophies two out of three years. I can see how if they're looking at it purely on paper, they could convince themselves that we're sitting like Columbus in '07 - on the brink of greatness if a few more things fall into place, and as such they want to give Tommy one more year.

The problem that I have with this is that, as the sayings go, statistics are for losers and soccer games aren't won on paper.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | October 29, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

@StanShmenge

That was me and I find it a bit creepy that you would recommend a lobotomy. Maybe you should be castrated so that you cannot pro create because the last thing the world needs is another ars like yourself. Oh by the way I like how you give no reason why we should not hire Sacharan. Not that anyone cares!

Posted by: no_recess | October 29, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Is there any talks of marco etcheverry's name being thrown in the hat?

He is only on a 3 month deal in bolivia, so that will be up in december....

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | October 29, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I thought Cabrera would have been a good choice given all the hubub about the attacking style of play he has introduced to the under 17s. Then I watched the under 17s play against Spain and Malawi and was thoroughly underwhelmed.

How about bringing back Marco from Bolivia?

Posted by: LostinPotomac | October 29, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29, you're not being a purist, you're being a Europhile. There's no reason we have to adopt European nomenclature in some misguided attempt to be 'authentic'. In this country, a coach can be the boss. Joe Gibbs, for example, was head coach of the Redskins, not manager.

Nowak is probably called manager because he's taking over the coach and GM roles.

Posted by: mmathai1 | October 29, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Off-topic, but Marlon King has been sentenced to 18 months in prison for punching a gal in a club (a stranger who strangely wasn't interested in a guy who scored a goal that day). Maybe there's an opening at Wigan for a USA striker? Not that there's anyone good enough...

Posted by: fischy | October 29, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Here's a random thought: what about Christopher Sullivan? I know some people don't like him, and I'm not sure about his coaching or man-management ability, but:

*He played in leagues around the world, including MLS
*Nobody knows the current teams/players in MLS better than he does
*He openly admires the DC United style of play
*He speaks Spanish and probably could relate well to the South American players
*His analysis is generally insightful

It would probably be best to have an experienced coach but if Richie Williams and Preki aren't available I'd be willing to roll the dice on Sullivan.

Posted by: MountPleasant | October 29, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

It's like MLS is musical coaches... I'd love to see some new blood at any of these clubs. Not a marquee name, but someone who can bring a spark that the current stable of MLS coaches/assts. haven't shown. Finding talent outside the league might be a challenge considering strange roster rules, lower pay, etc., but that wouldn't stop me from looking.

Otherwise, I'd like:

1. Ritchie Williams - impressive, if short coaching history; from Jersey; went to UVA; Bruce Arena sees something in him

2. Sasho Cirovski - recruitment is a big part of MLS, and he's done well spotting and developing talent; I've been impressed with his analysis of United's game when he's been in the booth

3. Chest_Rockwell - never seems to be wrong

Posted by: dcbird | October 29, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"Williams: Has a past with DCU. Turning NY's nonsensical roster into an outfit that got results despite having nothing tangible to play for is impressive."

Osorio and Agoos did a miserable job adding players to the roster, and getting rid of Dave Van Den Burgh was one of the all-time stupidest moves any MLS team has ever made. Bad signings are one thing, but getting rid of a smart, productive wing player with no real plan to replace him (Khano Smith? Really?) was just idiotic. Even as a pure cap move, it didn't make much sense: they had plenty of money and Smith made about 70% of what VDB made.

But the front six who played against Toronto-- Angel, Kandji; Richards, Stammler, Celades, Hall-- were exactly the players everyone expected to see making up the attack from the first game of the season. Everyone but Osorio and Agoos, that is. The 2009 NY squad wasn't talent-poor like the 1999 Metrostars.

Osorio needlessly complicated the tactics by designing custom game plans against every opponent, and by playing his worthless acquisitions (Pietrovallo, Johnson, Pacheco, etc.) at the expense of putting the best XI out every game. He tried to convert Hall, a left-sided midfielder who excelled at UMd, into a right back, and wouldn't admit that the experiment failed. Real arrogance, real stubbornness. He stuck to a single forward formation that stranded one of the best target forwards MLS has ever seen. The litany of errors is nearly endless.

By playing the best available squad regardless of opponent, Williams got good results. Over the last eight games, NY was one of the better performing teams in the league. But it wasn't strategic brilliance, it was just coaching simply.

So in a sense, the jury is still out on Williams. I honestly think he would be a great choice, as he seems to evaluate players very accurately and doesn't demand that they perform outside of their skill sets. But there aren't acquisitions or difficult scenarios on which to further judge him. NY (or DC) could do far worse than hire Richie, and I'm 100% in favor of NY giving him the permanent, fulltime job, but this isn't the no-brainer that some here seem to feel.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | October 29, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 29, 2009 1:05 PM
_____________________________________
With all due respect, this has not been NYRB's method of operation. They have been more about making the flashy hire rather than the right one, and that's why I think they're more likely to try to bring in a dicey European coach than a tried and true US one. They're just not a "lunchpail" brand, in spite of what kind of neighborhood Harrison may be. Plus, there's no way Williams could have come out and said that he wanted to come to DC - that would be seen as extreme disloyalty to the people who are still currently paying him.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | October 29, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't look much beyond Richie Williams & Sasho Cirovski if I were in charge.

Posted by: Stevenho | October 29, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know how Paul Mariner is doing as a head coach? There was always talk of him leaving NE for a MLS 'manager' position. He might be a good fit for DC as a former striker and knows the league.

Posted by: jermWV | October 29, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't care about the coach.

I'd rather have better players.

Posted by: Reignking | October 29, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Kilinsmann to RBNY would be the cream for the Austrian owners I am sure. Ritchie or Preki in DC? Why not. I want change in DC, we have had the same team underachieving for FAR TOO LONG!!!

Posted by: elfelixg | October 29, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@no_recess: i think stan was talking about me about getting a lobotomy (post #3). thanks to the informed musings of chest_rockwell, i have changed my mind about sarachan. i do still think that preki's teams are horribly BORING to watch. i'd like to see an "offensive" coach, though the trend seems to be all about defense right now (according to the FSC report, the top 8 teams as far as "goals against average", made the playoffs).

@jermWV: i think paul mariner moved to the EPL as as an assistant coach at portsmouth or some such team.

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 29, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

@jermWV: according to wikipedia, paul mariner is the head coach of plymouth argyle (in the championship).

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 29, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

A couple of things that are certain here:

Sasho will not leave UMD. He makes more than BB at approximately $700K annually total package. He has a young family he won't unroot and he would be a complete failure due to his rah rah crap that doesn't work with men.

Harkes is universally disliked around the soccer community. Only his old coach Bruce would ever hire him. He was a complete ass during his playing days and people don't forget.

Posted by: euroman | October 29, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: crocken | October 29, 2009 11:36 AM

My speculation is that it's a more "European" way of assigning titles. Bruce was big on that when he was extended for his second WC cycle with the MNT - thought that being called a manager would make him more appealing to people hiring for jobs on the other side of the Atlantic, rather than looking like an American that doesn't know what to call the sport.

On the other hand, until you have players, who are you coaching?

Posted by: csh2000 | October 29, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mmathai1 | October 29, 2009 1:53 PM

I respectfully disagree, Matt, It's not country by country, it's sport by sport. If Joe Gibbs were to (bizarrely) go over to Europe and coach a semi-pro American football team - they would call him the head coach, not manager.

Baseball - manager
Football - coach
Soccer - manager

What's the point in not adhering to the adopted standards that the game has used for over a century? MLS failed with American conversions in the 90s - they've done much better in the Garber era (ironically from an NFL background) by embracing some of the sport's global traditions.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 29, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo might be available.

Think about it.

Then run for the bathroom.

Posted by: Curious99 | October 29, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

If we leave Dave Kasper in place, then it is time to try for someone from outside the organization? Preki, Spencer, Cirovski. A proven commodity, an up-and-coming prospect, someone who has built successful program. My own prediction is it will be Williams, and I don't think there is a huge gap between what he would offer and the others would offer. But the new coach is not the crucial concern.

I am actually more interested in seeing us bring in a quality GM with a vision. He should then pick the coach to make that vision happen. Or you find a coach like Arena or Schmidt that you are willing to give total control over the organizaton. But who fits that profile?

Posted by: rcdwriting | October 29, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should call them "gaffers," just to confuse everyone else while we speak our secret language of pitches, fixtures, and meat pies.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 29, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

As I am sick of dc united losing these are my three choices.

1. I would like to see Earnie Stewart. He played for DC. He could bring a balanced attacking technical approach, He has diverse coaching experience, and has extensive contacts in europe.
2. My second choice would be Marco Etchevery.He knows the organization inside and out. He also posses diverse coaching experience, and fantastic connections throughout south america. What player is going to argue with a coach with the nickname of "El Diablo".
3. Will Chang fork over the big bucks and get Kinnear.

Posted by: Dipssince78 | October 29, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 29, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks! Is that better than coaching in MLS? ;)

Posted by: jermWV | October 30, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse