MLS Playoff Race

After a seven-month regular season, the final breakdown.....

EASTERN CONFERENCE AUTOMATIC BERTHS
New York 5-19-6, 21

FIRST-ROUND PAIRINGS
Eastern
Columbus vs. Real Salt Lake
Chicago vs. New England
Western
Los Angeles vs. Chivas USA (Game 1 Sunday at HDC)
Houston vs. Seattle (Game 1 Thursday at Qwest Field)

Supporters' Shield: Columbus (second straight).

Golden Boot: Jeff Cunningham (Dallas) 17 goals.

Home Attendance Champion: Seattle 30,943 average (MLS record).

By Steve Goff  |  October 25, 2009; 7:59 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: Monday Kickaround

Comments

Ha, Ha. Nice jab at the attendance Championship Champions Goff.
Hope Houston finally plays a strong starting XI and pounds them at home in front of all their irritating fans.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 25, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Who will win MLS Cup?

Who cares?

Posted by: FAkeemail9875 | October 25, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I was not taking a jab at Seattle. Just stating a fact -- and an impressive one, at that -- about the Sounders' extraordinary attendance this season.

Posted by: Steve Goff | October 25, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Well Steve, maybe someday they'll name the "Attendance Championship" after you. Perhaps emblemize the banners with your visage...;-)

I'm picturing a MLS rumors rumors article as I write this... Ed?
Many DCU fans would probably be just fine giving credit where it is due, but Sounders fans, or at least their presence on the internet have accomplished something that Philadelphia sports fans took decades to solidify.
Blind Hatred toward any and all!

I can see LA winning the whole thing this year. Incredible turn around for that club.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 25, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

MLS draft is not going to be as fruitful in 2010.

DCU picks: 7, 39, 55

2nd rounder was traded to Col for Gomez.

Posted by: J_S_F | October 25, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Gee DadRyan,

I thought I was always a thoughtful and respectful presence on these boards when supporting my attendance champion, US Open Cup Champion, Playoff Bound Sounders. Yet you spew all this hate and generalize based on the three fringe Seattle idiots who bait you on this board.

I was hoping your team made the playoffs because it would have been such fun for another face off in the MLS cup, but obviously you didn't provide enough support for your team to even make it...again.

So, let me say that I believe that most DC fans are bright respectful passionate fans...and you're obviously not one of them.

Enjoy the time off.

Posted by: Ciscokid50 | October 25, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

153 days until United's first league match of 2010.

AGAINST KANSAS CITY!

Vamos United!

Posted by: Curious99 | October 25, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it depressing for dcunited.com to already list that matchup for us on the front page as the next match, Curios99?

Am I looking forward to Sat, March 27, 2010 - 8:30 PM?

Posted by: sitruc | October 25, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

My apologies for misspelling your handle, Curious99. I noticed while I was clicking submit.

Posted by: sitruc | October 25, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Those western conference matchups are tasty

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 25, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Depressing? Yes. But this season whole season felt depressing anyway. More so than the other twelve seasons for some reason.

And, yes, I'm looking forward to Saturday, March 27th at 8:30 p.m. Even more so to April 3rd. Enough that I already put a deposit down on my tickest.

Posted by: Curious99 | October 25, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

And no problems with the misspelling. I'm hardly one to complain about spelling given how well my fingers type.

Posted by: Curious99 | October 25, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I am a Portland Timbers fan during the U.S. Open Cup if/when they tangle with Seattle!

Congrats to the Seattle Sounders organization for a strong first year with the attendance and making the playoffs.

Tough first round matchup against the Dynamo. I think I wanna watch that one on P2P.

Posted by: billindmd | October 25, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Ciscokid50, I understand that you're new to this, but there's no time off for a dim, disrespectful, passionless fan like myself. I'll be here day in/day out taking my swipes. You have been mostly respectful in your short time around these parts, you however are in the minority of Sounders fans who actually have any clue about anything happening outside of ye ol' Emerald City. Although suggesting my lack of support had anything to do with DCU's troubles makes me question that evaluation.

For as cool as you've been, it's a shame that you'd come up on here questioning my support. It makes you look like an idiot.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 25, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

& You should know that I lived in Seattle for the better half of a decade of my life and know plenty about the city, it's haunts, and it's sports fans. I was very supportive of the Sounders getting the MLS boost and spent a lot of time trying to drum up interest in old friends back in Seattle. The affair became very dysfunctional once the season got underway unfortunately and came to an ugly end on September 2nd...

I still hope to some day make a trip back and catch a match. Preferably a DCU one at that. I wonder if I could get my best bro from Seatown to hold off on picking his wedding date until the MLS schedule comes out...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | October 25, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Basically I think this whole thing is completely wide open. None of these teams is really any stronger than the others. Who will be hot on the right day is what is going to matter.

Columbus ended the year somewhat poorly.

Ultimately I don't think it really matters to me who wins.

Posted by: fedssocr | October 25, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

You go @DadRyan!

Seattle.Must.Fail.

Posted by: billindmd | October 25, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Props to Seattle on all fronts. I wish DCU were 4th in the table, I wish the DCU FO could draw that kind of on- and off-field talent into MLS and (hopefully) keep it there, and I wish being a DCU STH were a douchy status symbol and the first thing I told everyone I meet.

Comments from a few pseudo fans and some flustered comments from an exec when SFC have no effect on that. Can't knock what they've accomplished or the credibility they add to MLS as a whole.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 25, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan, thanks for the support. I will see u in charleston sc next year
I don't care who is on the team I will be cheering from Asheville.

Posted by: evanskr521 | October 25, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

2009 NE Revolution: Worst team to ever make the MLS playoffs.

Posted by: newportnews | October 25, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Enough of the Seattle garbage. They deserve every accolade coming their way this year but please; they are not even close to being one of DCU's top rivals. Much ado about nothing.

Seattle fans- Congratulations! Now please go to a Western Conference blog where a real rival resides.

Posted by: croftonpost | October 26, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

does this mean that Columbus and Galaxy are in next years CONCACAF Champions League?

Posted by: targetmedia | October 26, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Does that mean you have the Revs in the finals, newportnews?

Posted by: sitruc | October 26, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Why is ESPN putting the best playoff matchup MLS has to offer this year (LAG vs Chivas) in the Sunday 5pm time slot, when everybody will be watching pigskin? Way to grow the league, ESPN. Worthless.

What goes on Friday nights on ESPN that prevents MLS from being shown then? There is some law that prevents college football from being show (which the Big East and some other conferences somehow get around) in favor of high school football (which is not broadcast on ESPN), and it really seems like a dry night (therefore not much competition) for sports in most cases. Why can't the MLS move in on that night? (Don't tell me televised billards or some crap like that...)

Posted by: rademaar | October 26, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

You know DadRyan- it is because of blithering idjits like you that many of us in Puget Sound country have come to hate D.C. United. You and your constant "rapist" references to an innocent kid rank right up there with Josh Wicks- and D.C. not disciplining him.

Add in Kevin Payne, and all I see D.C. United is an aging prima donna who isn't up to the game anymore.

And, no, we don't consider D.C. to be a rival- D.C. isn't good enough to rival the Sounders. Go back to your glory days and live in the past, because the present doesn't seem to hold out much hope for D.C. United fans.

Posted by: captainwierd | October 26, 2009 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Ok... why is Soehn still not fired?

They better not be conflicted over this decision!!!!

Posted by: BarraPuta | October 26, 2009 2:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: captainwierd | October 26, 2009 1:32 AM | Report abuse

I will not get into the baiting that has been going on here for several weeks. I personally think it's great what you guys have going on up there and my wife has adopted you guys as a second team. However, you guys are putting yourselves on an awfully high pedestal and one day it will come crashing down. That is when the true test will come for you and your fellow supporters. These are the easy days right now as our supporters know. Don't forget MLS Cup '97 at RFK was completely sold out (57,000+) and everybody attended that day in the pouring rain.

Your true rivalries (Chivas, Galaxy, Dynamo, RSL etc) don't mean much to you guys right now because it's your 1ST YEAR! Rivalries are much more than worthy records. We don't like NYRB and look at theirs.

Posted by: croftonpost | October 26, 2009 4:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: croftonpost | October 26, 2009 4:21 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of which, after last weekend is Chester our new official rival?

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 26, 2009 5:24 AM | Report abuse

This goes out to all the Seattle fans who troll on this board: Get a life! It's because of you that I've decided to remain a DC United fan and not root for my hometown team. To the DC United fans...stop feeding the trolls...especially all those Seattle trolls who drool over manga girls all night long. I really am shocked that this board has more comments about Seattle than DC United (and don't even count, cause if you do, then you do not have a life). We have more important things to worry about, such as our new rival Philadelphia and how we'll embarrass our old rival in their new stadium, etc.

Posted by: bigwave | October 26, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that we have to worry about how we'll win the MLS Cup next year too:)

Posted by: bigwave | October 26, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Goff- Any chance at giving the names of possible replacements for Soehn if he is let go?

Posted by: bighungry | October 26, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

As to Chester becoming our fiercest rival, it is mine.

Ever since the Eagles/Redskins body bag game when that football sociopath Buddy Ryan was the Eagles coach, I've hated all Philadelphia teams. This is particularly painful, since I'm also a Dodger fan, the last two baseball post-seasons haven't been good ones.

Now MLS has added new one to my list.

Posted by: seahawkdad | October 26, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I'll be checking the blog frequently, waiting for news of Soehn's firing.

Any minute now ...

Posted by: Cerealman | October 26, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Go Phillies!

I'm a fan of all the Philly teams...except that I lived in DC when MLS started, so I follow United. I can't see that changing...

Looks like Dadryan has some stalkers.

Posted by: Reignking | October 26, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I am happy that the Seattleites come here. Each visit is one more hit for Soccer Insider, which drives up Goff's numbers, which encourages The Post to keep Steve doing what he does, which therefore benefits United fans, and that includes Dadryan.

Keep it up, Seattle. You're a winner for us United fans.

Posted by: seahawkdad | October 26, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr
----------------------

Well said. That's why I think the Supporters' Shield is more important than the MLS Cup. Congratulations to Columbus; the real MLS Champions!

Posted by: troy6 | October 26, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

What happens when portland comes into MLS? Will those so called seattle fans start chearing for portland. Last I heard, Seattle was a small club from portland?

Posted by: Norteno4life | October 26, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

The Yankees will win. They'll buy whatever championship they can get.

Posted by: futbolclif | October 26, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Dadryan has some stalkers.

Posted by: Reignking | October 26, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I keep thinking I see lurking everywhere I go...
Packin' my flare gun though, they work great for taking out divers.
;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | October 26, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I hate the Sounders, and all of their new jack upstart fans.

Dale Dynamo.

Posted by: crocken | October 26, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Crocken's post reminded me that congratulations are probably in order for Houston, too. By making the playoffs again, they are showing that they are a consistently good team. Well done.

Posted by: WorldCup | October 26, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

dang, I meant to write I keep thinking I see Montero lurking everywhere I go...
LOL! @MYSELF!

Posted by: DadRyan | October 26, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I support DC United, but I have to admit that one of the few MLS teams out there that at least tries to play watchable soccer is Seattle. Columbus is good, but their style is just usually boring. The Revs are decent, but their style of play is on the sterile side. Houston is OK to watch. The rest of the playoff teams I can take or leave.

Couple Seattle's pretty good playing style with their (right now) large crowds and good atmosphere (with the exception of the oft out-of-tune and out-of-turn high school oom-pah band) makes for a prety good viewing experience if I can't watch my own team.

Posted by: Ron16 | October 26, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to point out, if I could, that this is not a DC United blog.

Goff is the best newspaper sportswriter in America covering soccer and his blog includes coverage of everything from DCU to the Nats to the WPS to college soccer. He gets the soccer news before just about anyone else in this country.

So I think you can always expect those of us from places other than DC to come by and see what new scoop Goff has unearthed.

Posted by: scott47a | October 26, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

You are right as rain scott47a. Goff's reporting and DC United are two things I love about DC. Everyone is plenty welcome, but you gotta admit that a lot of LOCALS are rightfully irritated finding outsiders who don't know anything about MLS other than what they learned since April coming up on here and trying to kick sand in our faces. That type of crap would get just about anyone a fat lip anywhere other than the internet.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 26, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree Ryan. There are a lot of newbies. I sometimes get frustrated with my fellow Sounders fans who know nothing about the league and its history and act as if it doesn't matter.

One question for old-timers, though, is how should you react to such ignorance? Do you invite them in and say "great to have you, here are some things you should know"? Or do you say "hey, we were doing this a long time ago, learn your place"?

There has to be some balance, I imagine. If you want folks to really learn about the history of the league and its great franchises, reading Goff and talking on this board seems a necessity.

Posted by: scott47a | October 26, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Then there are a lot of Sounders fans who's support goes back to the start, in 1974, who stayed through the NASL and USL days, and have been around a lot longer than DCU. We see the MLS for what it is- comparable to something between AA and AAA baseball in quality, on the rise but with a long ways to go, and its "traditions" and "great franchises" are comparable to that level of play.

People like DadRyan who think they know Puget Sound Country and think we are just a flash in the pan are showing their ignorance. When the Whitecaps join in 2011 you'll really have to come to grips with great soccer traditions that are gunning to be world class- and if we have to drag the rest of you along to that higher level in order to do so, so be it.

And DadRyan- you of all people have no business complaining about having sand kicked in your face. Karma, baby.

Posted by: captainwierd | October 26, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

scott, I will be the first to admit that I'm getting old, but hardly an old timer when it comes to following soccer. I've learned a lot here, for certain. I recommend this blog to folks all the time, and am happy to run into folks who do read it.

@captainweird, I lived in Seattle for 9 years. I know plenty about the place.Check back to Steve's match day thread when DCU came to town. Holler back when you figure out who he took up on their dining tips in the ID...
The beef isn't with the team, or a well run(so far) organization. It's with all these d-bag fans patting themselves on the back for the product that is on the field. Which you have ZERO to do with.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 26, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

One question for old-timers, though, is how should you react to such ignorance?
Posted by: scott47a
=============

I ignore the ignorance. But if people are interested in having a reasonable discussion then I'll engage in it - unless there are puns to made or gratuitous photos of Heather Mitts or Leslie Osborne to link to.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 26, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse