Monday Kickaround

*USA supporters are understandably upset that Saturday's critical World Cup qualifier at Honduras will be available on closed circuit TV (select bars and restaurants for a cover charge of at least $15), but consider what's happening in England, where the qualifier against Ukraine will be seen on the Internet and in movie theaters only.

*The current list of U.S. "English" establishments that will carry the USA-Honduras game for a fee. The current list of U.S. "Spanish" locations that will carry the match for a fee. I'm told that Molly Malone's near Capitol Hill in Washington is planning to offer it as well.

*Former D.C. United star Ryan Nelsen is trying to get fit ahead of New Zealand's qualifying playoff at Bahrain this weekend.

*Awaiting a possible announcement by the USSF today concerning a long-term suspension for United goalkeeper Josh Wicks, who was sent off for misbehavior in the U.S. Open Cup final. Besides the one-game penalty for the red card, how many Open Cup matches should he miss?

*It will be an all-Canadian finals in USL-1 after seventh-seeded Vancouver upset No. 1 Portland and No. 5 Montreal knocked out third-seeded Puerto Rico. The two-leg series begins this weekend.

*George Mason won its fifth straight, 1-0 at William & Mary, while Georgetown had its three-game winning streak halted at Connecticut,1-0.

*Four days after an upset victory at Virginia, the Virginia Tech women stunned North Carolina, 1-0, to soar to No. 6 in the Soccer America rankings with a 10-2 record.

For the men's and women's top 25 rankings.....

MEN
1. Akron (9-0-0)
2. UCLA (6-1-1)
3. North Carolina (7-1-1)
4. California (7-2-0)
5. South Florida (7-1-1)
6. Duke (7-2-0)
7. Wake Forest (6-2-1)
8. Harvard (7-1-0)
9. UC Santa Barbara (7-2-1)
10. Maryland (5-3-1)
11. Louisville (6-1-2)
12. Northwestern (5-1-3)
13. Connecticut (5-2-2)
14. Monmouth (7-0-1)
15. Indiana (5-3-1)
16. Portland (6-1-1)
17. Boston University (7-2-2)
18. Ohio State (5-1-3)
19. Georgetown (6-3-1)
20. Virginia (6-3-0)
21. Stanford (7-2-0)
22. Brown (5-0-4)
23. George Mason (7-2-0)
24. Penn State (7-3-0)
25. UAB (7-2-1)
25. Charlotte (6-1-2)
25. N.C. State (6-2-1)
25. West Virginia (5-2-2)
WOMEN
1. Stanford (11-0-0)
2. Portland (11-1-0)
3. North Carolina (10-1-1)
4. UCLA (9-1-1)
5. Florida State (10-1-0)
6. Virginia Tech (10-2-0)
7. Boston College (9-2-0)
8. South Carolina (11-0-1)
9. Notre Dame (8-3-1)
10. Michigan State (7-1-2)
11. St. John's (9-2-1)
12. Rutgers (9-1-3)
13. Connecticut (9-3-0)
14. Southern California (8-3-0)
15. LSU (8-2-2)
16. Georgia (9-1-1)
17. Maryland (9-2-0)
18. BYU (8-3-1)
19. California (6-3-1)
20. Santa Clara (8-4-1)
21. Wake Forest (9-2-1)
22. Purdue (7-2-3)
23. Texas A&M (7-4-1)
24. Mississippi (8-3-0)
25. Oregon (8-2-1)

By Steve Goff  |  October 5, 2009; 8:58 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , College Soccer , D.C. United , England , TV , U.S. Open Cup , U.S. men's national team , USL , USSF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Playoff Race
Next: Video: Barcelona's Goal

Comments

NR to #6 is quite a jump. Having Carden back for the Hokies was huge as she was critical in both wins over ranked teams the past week.

Posted by: sitruc | October 5, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Annoying useless use of Flash on that English web site...

Posted by: Reignking | October 5, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

What a miserable weekend:

DC United pratty much signed it's playoff death certificate.

Puerto Rico Islanders dropped both legs of the USL1 semifinal to the Montreal Impact and officially signed the death cert on making it out of Champions' League play group play.

Even my American football team the Ravens lost and to make it worse, the Redskins somehow managed to win...

Miserable... Just plain miserable...

Posted by: yankiboy | October 5, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Tech women over UVA and UNC in the same week. Playing UNC with 3 in the back line is pretty bold.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 5, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

As far as Wicks goes, he should get about as much time as Blanco got. Seriously, what they both did was classless but if Wicks gets more than a two a game suspension USOC suspension I will be ticked off.

Seriously. I will.

Posted by: yankiboy | October 5, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"I'm told that Molly Malone's near Capitol Hill in Washington is planning to offer it as well."

Steve - thanks for your excellent coverage of this total debacle. Your updates have been key.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 5, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Yankiboy, I have been told Blanco got a 12-game suspension (effectively two years, not two games). So it's hard to judge what you are advocating. Wicks obviously will get more than two games.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 5, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"but consider what's happening in England, where the qualifier against Ukraine will be seen on the Internet and in movie theaters only."

Yep - that's pretty ridiculous. However, there are some key differences from the US situation... England have already qualified, so it's hardly a crucial qualifier and must see TV. And they're in this situation because Setanta UK (a now defunct operation) owns the rights. Still, I don't know why Sky can't intervene and buy the rights from a dead company.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 5, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Molly Malone's will be absolutely swamped if it is the only DC location...probably would have to arrive a few hours in advance.

Posted by: hoyanick1 | October 5, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hoyanick1 | October 5, 2009 9:47 AM

If they're showing it, I'll be there very early and will watch LSU-Florida while I wait. Oh and Mexico-ES a couple hours before that.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 5, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I hear you yankiboy. Let's pile on the misery by that disgraceful performance by Manchester United at Old Trafford this weekend. They struggled mightily to STEAL a point from the mighty, mighty Sunderland (who were thugs on the night btw).

DC? Don't get me started with them. It's too early in the morning and I'm at work and would rather not scream certain adjectives that come to mind when I hear that team's name.

Posted by: Kosh2 | October 5, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

@GOG: Wow! Thanks for the 411. I thought that he got a slap on the wrist. I am now better educated.

I guess Josh Wicks won't be playing any USOC games until 2012.

Posted by: yankiboy | October 5, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

The Portland-Vancouver yesterday was a whole lot of fun to watch.

I'm very happy my Gators play such a big game that night, so that I can not feel as bad about missing the USA game, which I will have at least a matchtracker open on. If a feed pops up, I'll be happy to open that up on the computer, too

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 5, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCU_1996 | October 5, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I don't think MLS belongs in the Open Cup, period, but I guess it's the best available substitute for the departed Reserve League.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 5, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Molly Hatchet is a soccer fan?

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 5, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I woke up this morning eagerly anticipating the news that Tom Soehn had been sacked...
ahh but to no avail...

Posted by: alan19 | October 5, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Firing Soehn at this point would be like subbing your playmaker at 42 minutes. I mean, nobody does that.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 5, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Kev29: According to what I'd been reading, Kentaro (the rights agency who negotiated the deal for the game) actually did approach the UK broadcasters again after Setanta's collapse because the bankrupcy saw the rights go back to them, but they all either didn't offer enough or passed entirely. (The Times UK claims they all passed, but I heard Five did bid elsewhere). So, they decided to go online only and partnered with some national newspaper websites and Perform (who's responsible for the sites of the Football League in England) to sell it.

Posted by: Soccer_Jeff | October 5, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Are those just the usual CC locations, or locations which have been confirmed for THIS game??

Posted by: LloydHeilbrunn | October 5, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the scoop, Jeff. Definitely some similarities with the situation here - where (apparently) ESPN were offered a chance to buy from MediaPro, but were put off by the price.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 5, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

New Zealand vs. Bahrain for a World Cup slot? Seriously? Apologies to the Kiwis, but the Oceana Confederation needs to disappear.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | October 5, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

@Miles: Everyone needs a chance to participate. Even in Oceania. A lot of people have made similar statements about CONCACAF. If All Whites can get past Bahrain then they deserve to get in. They will have their work cut out for them.

Posted by: yankiboy | October 5, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Donde esta Creighton?

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 5, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Man, this is going to be the first qualifier - or men's nat match - I've missed since probably 1994. What a crappy system.

Posted by: hacksaw | October 5, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | October 5, 2009 11:28 AM

Bahrain are in the Asian Confederation. Oceania don't have an automatic slot and have to earn their way in via playoff with the fifth/sixth Asian qualifier - seems fair enough to me.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 5, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Steven,

Will the US qualifier be shown later on ESPN or Fox Soccer?

I know in the past this has happened in similiar situations.

Posted by: dcufan53 | October 5, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Soccer in a cinema would be awesome.

Posted by: peridigm | October 5, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Will the US qualifier be shown later on ESPN or Fox Soccer?

Posted by: dcufan53 | October 5, 2009 12:10 PM

No. Or at least, no plans as of yet.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 5, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

yankiboy: "but if Wicks gets more than a two a game suspension USOC suspension I will be ticked off.

Seriously. I will."

I'm sure they'll take your ticked off-ness into account when they make their ruling.

Posted by: very_clever_username | October 5, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@Yankiboy,

Wicks will "miss" two or three matches at the beginning of the tournament where DC will have Hamid play against the San Jose Earthquake Reserves, Red Bull New York Reserves, and Everton Americans (Ventura County). Wicks will be on the bench roster "serving his suspension".

A real punishment indeed.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 5, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

It does not mean jack
Experts agree, Wicks is whack
Why would he be back?

Posted by: OWNTF | October 5, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

A lot of Latino joints near me in the Wheaton/Silver Spring area will show the match. It's hard being a US soccer fan sometimes.

If you have a child who loves the sport and you want to watch a game with them, as I do, it's a challenge to go see a 10 p.m. match in a bar or (South Korea/Japan World Cup) watch a match at 2:30 a.m. or 4:30 a.m.

Posted by: billindmd | October 5, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: very_clever_username

You are so very, very clever...

Posted by: yankiboy | October 5, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hacksaw

----------------------------
That's somewhat impressive since its only been a few years since EVERY USMNT match was available on US television. Either that or you're engaging in hyperbole.

Posted by: EricB1 | October 5, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Molly Hatchet is a soccer fan?

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 5, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Of course. Didn't you realize DCU's theme song this year is "Flirtin' With Disaster"?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 5, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Huh, don't see any bars in Hawaii listed...
Oh well.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 5, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan, there was a bar in Lahaina on Maui that had the Setanta package when I was there last year. Can't remember the name but it wasn't hard to find. I wouldn't know if they'll spring for the Honduras game-- they're not listed on that website.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | October 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@ DadRyan - outside of the possibility of Molly Malone's there's nothing in the DC/VA/MD/PA/NC/WV/DE/NJ area. NYC is the closest! I wonder why the Fado Pubs in DC & Annapolis haven't stepped up like so many of their brethren?

Posted by: soccerman | October 5, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Dempsey is listed as out for the match against Honduras.

Posted by: no_recess | October 5, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Soccerman said: I wonder why the Fado Pubs in DC & Annapolis haven't stepped up like so many of their brethren?
I say: I'm going to call Fado and tell them that DH Bob and I will come for $30 if they save us a seat. Maybe we all should call?

Posted by: sbuck | October 5, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe DH Bob and I will go to a Spanish-speaking site. I wanna see the game! As a spoiled white matron, I am not easily thwarted.

Posted by: sbuck | October 5, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I jumped the gun - Fado's in DC is listed by US Soccer as one of the venues:

Posted by: soccerman | October 5, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

That "English list" is pretty puny compared the "Spanish" one. There must be 10 places within a 5 mile radius from my house. I speak Spanish so that wouldn't be a problem but since I'll be out the country I'll have to pass. Those guys who bought the transmission knew what they were doing, the Catrachos will be coming out of the woodwork for this game. I hate to say but they probably won't be disappointed. Our away form has been less than mediocre even though we have gotten points in San Pedro Sula before. Honduras is overdue to qualify. They have good talent but have lacked the fortitude to advance the last several rounds. Plus, with all the political crap going on in the country the people need a distraction.

Posted by: sbg1 | October 5, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse