Poll: USA in Honduras

Before casting your ballot, consider:

-- Honduras is 8-0-0 at home with a 22-3 goals advantage in this World Cup qualifying cycle.

-- The Americans did beat an imposing Catrachos squad in San Pedro Sula eight years ago, 2-1, on Clint Mathis's late free kick. Defender Steve Cherundolo is the only current USA player who appeared in that match.

-- In first place, the Americans would be happy with a road tie. In third place, Honduras needs a victory.

-- The Americans won the home qualifying leg, coming from behind in Chicago for a 2-1 victory, and used a young squad in defeating Honduras twice at the Gold Cup.

Okay, go to it.....

By Steve Goff  |  October 6, 2009; 10:16 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Poll , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: Hejduk Called Up by USA

Comments

For those of you who voted that we would win . . . please send me some of what you are smoking. I'm sure it's fuzzy, purplish goodness.

Posted by: delantero | October 6, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

The USA will shock everyone with a 1-0 win on a late goal by LD. Fitness and heart will win the day for the Americans. The US will do Honduras a favor by beating CR in the finale as well.

Posted by: euroman | October 6, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Using the scenario generator on the previous post, it is pretty clear that we need a W in Honduras to have any chance at a first place finish. With the slow start that Mexico had, they finish in first with a win at home to El Salvador and a win on the road at T&T (if US doesn't win on Sat). They have the easiest road to the top at this point.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | October 6, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Ok. Please allow me to be the first clown on record for saying that the Catrachos are "DUE" to drop some points in Catracholandia...

Hey, it worked for the Detroit Lions (finally)...

Posted by: yankiboy | October 6, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

@ delantero and euroman: Hard work good and hard work fine, But first take care of head. Go USA!

Posted by: dccal | October 6, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Nope, the only way we get a draw is if we get some luck or a crazy concacaf call in our favor. Not going to happen.

Any word whether results in other games could get the US thru even if we loose both matches?

On the positive front, at least Dempsey is out so we'll have someone hungry on the wing who will actually play defense.

Posted by: hacksaw | October 6, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

USA will win one for their viewers who are getting screwed Saturday night. USA! USA!

Posted by: croftonpost | October 6, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Mexico has the hex basically won, unless some kind of miracle happens in Honduras sat night. The US will need to take care of busniess at RFK in a week, which should be very possible as long as the USSF doesn't have some sort of Costa Rican culture fest on that day or something...

Posted by: rademaar | October 6, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

whoever goes in Dempsey's spot (torres or holden) is going to have a coming out party, having a hand in at least two goals. Thats my feeling.

Posted by: crocken | October 6, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Well, I hope it is Holden, because I've been a supporter of his for years, and Torres belongs in the middle.

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Earnie Stewart also had a great goal in that game 8 years ago. He went on to help some MLS team win a trophy as I recall.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 6, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Reasons US will win:

1-With Dempsey out there will be fewer MF turnovers and the RM will show a higher work rate
2-Hopefully Coach Bradley will have learned that Feilhaber in the MF is good for possession
3-Charlie Davies is a force to be reckon with and he did not start against Honduras in Chicago

reason we will lose:
1-Bradley starts to tinker with the lineup the same way he did at Costa Rica.
2-Honduras rallies behind the country to win in an inspiring fashion because of their current political situation.

Posted by: no_recess | October 6, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Onyewu should be well-rested.

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

It's going to be very tough. A terrible place to play, but not as bad as Mexico City or Costa Rica. If we play the way we played at the beginning of the Mexico match, we win or at least tie. If we play the way we played after scoring first in Mexico, or if we play the way we played in Costa Rica, we lose. One thing to keep in mind is that Honduras always seems on the verge of something great or something disasterous. Here's hoping that they get out of control emotionally and and lose control of the match. We need to win and win again at RFK because I want the US, not Mexico, to get the protected World Cup gouping draw.

Posted by: raymonddevenney | October 6, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

The Dempsey hate is borderline comical. 26 year old with like 60 caps, our starting mid for how many years (?), 90 minute player for a top half Prem League team, voted best player in this summer's South American tournament, scored goals against Spain and Brazil.

And a promising young lad from MLS with 8 caps is going to come in and show Bradley what an idiot he's been for playing Dempsey?

You folks are whack like Wicks.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I seem to remember that Guevara and someone else is out due to yellow cards for this game. Can someone confirm?

Posted by: isaac101 | October 6, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

If we finish first in CONCACAF qualifying, are we guaranteed a seeded spot in the South African group selection lottery?

Posted by: WorldCup | October 6, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling we can pull this off. It's not much more than that. I bet Holden starts, but would love to see Torres as a sub at the very least. Cooper over Ching and Cave Troll.

I would also prefer Clark and Feilhaber in the middle. When they play together, the roles are defined, and each is allowed to play to his strengths (see the SUCCESSFUL Gold Cup final). If we maintain the flatfooted double destroyer mentality, we're in trouble.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 6, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Actually, if I can't watch the game on TV, it's like it never happened, no matter the result.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | October 6, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the Dempsey hate is silly. Is there room for him to improve? Definitely. Is he a very good player and solid contributor to our team? There is no doubt. It's a shame he's injured and can't play in Honduras.

Posted by: WorldCup | October 6, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I checked win...but harbor some doubts depending on which country is provding the match officials. Anyone have the scoop on that?

Posted by: soccerman | October 6, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Guevara is Honduras play-maker in the middle, without him and Turcios (another good holding midfielder) they will suffer. Palacios is great but not the same role as Guevara.

Plus, Honduras has a history of choking late in qualifying.

Posted by: nico78 | October 6, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

The WC seedings are not based on regional qualifying placement, but rather have been based on past WC performance and placement in the FIFA rankings in the past years. In 2006, CONCACAF got one seed. Presumably it's the same this time around.

I suspect it's close between the US and Mexico on both those counts, since Mexico did better in WC 2006, but US in 2002. And they've swapped places in the rankings over the past three years.

Posted by: ah___ | October 6, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking ... well played.

Posted by: Matte | October 6, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

You folks are whack like Wicks.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2009 12:10 PM
=================

Whack Like Wicks... a good name for a rock band.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 6, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Don't hate Dempsey, just think he takes his position on the team for granted and as a result doesn't give anywhere near the effort he gives when he's on the field in England. Best thing that can happen to him IMO is that he gets benched for a while and has to change his attitude. Sorry, but when he's playing for the US he seems like a lazy headcase. Just because he has a number of caps doesn't mean he's doing well now, as evidenced by Beazley.

Anyway, I think the US will be better without him in the next two games. But, we shall see.

Posted by: hacksaw | October 6, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Honduras 3-1.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | October 6, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Voted for a draw. Will be making a couple calls today to see if a particular bar may be showing the match in Honolulu. Should live feeds be available? I could always go to Starbucks and watch on the computer...:(

Posted by: DadRyan | October 6, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | October 6, 2009 10:31 AM
----------------

I voted for the win and I'm sorry but I take my medical marijuana prescription very seriously and would never use it to get anyone else some of my favorite California medicine.

Plus no way I'd mail it 3000 miles east anyway even though I've heard if you put it deep inside a big peanut butter jar the doggies can't smell it.

Mango and Sour Elephant are the 2 prescriptions I had filled most recently.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 6, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Published and broadcast reports say radio personality Rush Limbaugh and St. Louis Blues [and Real Salt Lake] owner Dave Checketts are joining together in a bid to purchase the St. Louis Rams.

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The ref for USA-Honduras will be none other than our old friend Roberto Moreno from Panama. We have seen him plenty of times ...
Mexico-USA at Azteca in August
USA-Trinidad in Nashville in April
Cruz-Azul-DC in Mexico in last years CCL (he was the guy who sent off both DC GKs)
USA-Cuba at RFK last October
Barbados-USA in the second leg of the qualifier 2 years ago
Pachuca-DC in Mexico in the old Champs Cup semis in 2007
My experience with him is for the most part he will let the home team play and crack down on the visitors. So consider this a heads up for Rico, M-Bradley, Bocanegra, and the other US defensive types that shenanigans may be frowned upon, punished, and in some cases even invented.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | October 6, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

The Dempsey hate is comical. Medical Marijuana is an odd subject to find in a soccer blog. And, good remark to Sublime earlier in the post. (That's a lot of fragmented sentences for you.)

I predict we win, as long as Ching doesn't start. I don't care about him defending from the top. He offers nothing except a first touch that puts the ball over his head every time. Davies is on fire, and Donovan has been in the form of his life for the last 6 months. I predict we win.

I would actually hope to see Holden start. I like Torres but his position is in the center of the park, not out wide.

The question for me is: Do I drive two hours south to Phoenix, a place I have never been, to watch the game in Spanish? Or do I take the risk, hope that I will find the game on the internet, and watch it in peace in my apartment in Flagstaff?

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 6, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I think the US loses in Honduras making the Costa Rica match at RFK a thriller. If we do really well, we'll steal a draw.

That said, for my poll answer, I chose 'US wins' because I have to have my little fan fantasies, don't I?

Posted by: mmathai1 | October 6, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl
===================

Hop in a plane, fly to DC and watch it at Molly Hatchet's.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 6, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

It's OK if we lose, our secret weapon is the fact that the worst ref in MLS, Ricardo Salazar, is working the crucial Honduras at El Salvador match 4 days later.

Yes, you read that right--caller of some of the most bogus penalties in league history is determining the fate of a direct U.S. rival on the same night that we tangle with Costa Rica.

Any Hondurans out there? You can start your protests now.

Posted by: StanShmenge | October 6, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't see why we'd be happy with a tie. A tie doesn't help us at all - Honduras holds the goal differential tiebreaker over us. If anything, Bob should be in an attacking mindset because it's win or nothing for us, but he's Bob.

Posted by: RiverOtis | October 6, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Hop in a plane, fly to DC and watch it at Molly Hatchet's.
Posted by: joedoc1
==================

No place to watch in New York City? It's so big and tough.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 6, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 6, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

===================

It's a shorter drive to Sedona. Hike to a vortex. Sit there quite mindfully, clear your emotional blockages, and perhaps the stones will speak to you and reveal the game in perfect clarity. Who knows, maybe Frankie Hejduk is your totem.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 6, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Road trip! Road trip!

Seriously, I have some doubts about the Hondurans being kind enough to stream the game for us, so a live viewing may be the only way to see it. If you decide to head down 17, give me a call.

Posted by: Josh86 | October 6, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

HONDURAS: did you know that, if you take away the H, and the O, and the N and D, and the R... then move the S in front of the A, leaving the U alone, you have...

USA!

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 6, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

What do you mean a tie vs. Honduras doesn't help us?

A tie means that, even if we lose to Costa Rica in DC, Honduras will have to beat El Salvador in El Salvador to pass us, something which no team in the Hex has done.

Even if they're out, El Sal is not going to lie down for anyone in front of its home fans, especially not old Guerra Futbolera buddies Honduras.

Posted by: StanShmenge | October 6, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@raymonddevenney

What is the protected World Cup Group Drawing? I believe we won the Hex last time in 2006 and we were paired with Italy, Ghana, and Czech Republic. I could be wrong.

Posted by: no_recess | October 6, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Frankie Hejduk was called into camp (SBI).

Posted by: no_recess | October 6, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

26 minutes after Goff...

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Rooting for a Honduras win. I want to see a meaningful game at RFK on the 14th.

Posted by: timmy6 | October 6, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Rooting for a Honduras win. I want to see a meaningful game at RFK on the 14th.

===

Not dropping points to CR at home is meaningful for the pride, and the CONCACAF pecking order.

Posted by: mason08 | October 6, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Remember: We starter Conor Bleeping Casey along with Pablor Mastroeni in Chicago in June and still managed to scrap out 3 points.

Posted by: LovetheGoffer | October 6, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

no_recess

Top ranked Fifa teams from the various regions are designated and placed into different opening round groups so as not to have to face each other. There is one team allocated to each WC group so that Brazil and Spain, for instance, don't have to play each other in the opening round. Last time, Mexico was given this placement from our region, and they ended up in a very easy opening group;whereas the US ended up in something that smacked of the group of death. Now the FIFA standings may not be affected by the hex final standings per se because other factors go into the decision in determing who gets designated, but I can't see how finishing behind Mexico in the hex will help our case. That's why I believe the game in Honduras is a critical away game we need to win, not draw.

Posted by: rcdwriting | October 6, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I voted my hopes, and it looks like others did too :-)

Posted by: DCUSince96 | October 7, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, I'm with the dude who says 3:1 Honduras. When that team gets rolling, look out. I still have nightmares from that 2001 RFK qualifier. They came in waves. I'm USA through and through, but do tend to be negative before games.

The real question: sativa or indica? Maybe the latter to calm the nerves. Good times.

Posted by: EssEff | October 7, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse