Quaranta Out for Season

D.C. United midfielder-forward Santino Quaranta will have surgery Tuesday after rupturing the plantar plate in his left foot in a team scrimmage last Friday. It's similiar to the injury he suffered with New York three years ago. Quaranta (two goals, six assists, 19 starts) will miss the remainder of the MLS season and be sidelined four to six months, jeopardizing his availability for the start of 2010 training camp.

More details to come.....

Just got off the phone with Santino, who said he was jumping for a ball at the top of the box, trying to knock it forward, when he got bumped and jammed his foot into the ground.

"My foot took all my body weight," he said. "I knew it was a bad situation."

As for the prognosis of being out four to six months, "I don't know if they think I'm 80 years old or what, but I think it will be three to four months," he said, laughing.

After the surgery, he will need about six weeks to heal before he can begin rehabilitation, he said.

So for this weekend's match against Eastern leader Columbus, United will be without Quaranta, Josh Wicks (shoulder, knee), Bryan Namoff (concussion), Chris Pontius (yellow cards) and Ben Olsen (red card).

By Steve Goff  |  October 12, 2009; 5:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

Argh!

Posted by: spidergoose | October 12, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

First log in since getting home from Hawaii this afternoon... Sounds like Tino and family need to head out to my mom's place for a little RnR. Did us a world of good.

Aloha!

Posted by: DadRyan | October 12, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

DCU, adding injury to insult...

Bummer for Tino, I hope he heals well. We definitely need him for next season -- he's one of the few guys we need to(re)build the team around.

Posted by: -rke- | October 12, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Can someone put together a "Tino Injury Map" like they did for McBride a few years back? Heal up, Tino!

Posted by: Logan_Circle | October 12, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

The trees, the bushes, the shadows beneath the RFK all wish for Soehn to be GONE!!! Maybe then luck shall return and bless us with a playoff spot.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 12, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Now that Tino has recovered from his addiction that started with pain killers, can he take pain killers again? If he's off painkillers for life, the recovery could be pretty painful.

Posted by: muskratinator | October 12, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry this happened to him. This will be a major test for Santino, in his life in particular. Good luck!

Posted by: alan19 | October 12, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

This is absolutely miserable news. Not only is that windmill we're tilting at getting bigger and spinning faster, but Quaranta is one of the few guys we have this year that you can count on to give everything he's got and take responsibility for the game. Make no mistake: we're losing more than just a good right midfielder.

With him, Olsen, Namoff, and Pontius all unavailable this weekend, it's going to take every remaining player having a great game to get a win. There won't be room for guys to just do OK, or to hide a couple of bad showings. Consider the likely starting team:

--------- Moreno - Emilio
Fred - Wallace - Simms - Khumalo
Burch - James - Jakovic - Vaughn
-------------- Kocic/Cronin

I guess you could start Jacobson and move Wallace to the left, but you lose that aggressive, almost antagonistic attitude Olsen and Wallace bring to the position. Jacobson is the physically strongest of the three, and fouls a lot, but you'd never mistake him for a player that's as hard to play against as the other two are. I never get the feeling other midfielders become preoccupied with Jacobson, and I also didn't really like the looks of the Jacobson-Simms combo before.

Another way to avoid starting Fred would be to play Shipalane (with Khumalo likely switching to the left, though both are very right-sided), but I don't think Soehn trusts him as more than a sub.

How, with this lineup, will we beat Columbus? We would need to defend without making mistakes, fight for everything like our lives depend on it, and hope the inevitable MLS refereeing mistakes don't take away a goal or give Columbus a goal. That's an awfully tall order for a team prone to errors, lacking fight (and fighters, with the specific players missing), and having to worry about the crapshoot that is officiating in our league.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 12, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

What Chest just wrote...ditto.

Also, this addition....it makes Santino less attractive in expansion (should he be exposed).

Posted by: JoeW1 | October 12, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Chest -- Wallace out left, Szetela next to Simms. Gomez for Moreno in the 2nd half, Fred for Khumalo (maybe), Jacobson for defensive effort if DCU somehow is ahead late, Hamburguesa for Burch, Shipalane -- back to Harrisburg.

We should all say a prayer for Santino tonight, his addiction started when he was first injured -- he will need a great deal of strength in the coming months.

Posted by: griffin1108 | October 12, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear about Tino. I hope surgery goes well and his recovery is unremarkable.

On a selfish note, I see United's playoff hopes dimming even further. Not good.

Posted by: DrBeaker | October 12, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

If Tino made it through the other injuries without narcotics, I'm confident that he'll make it through this one too.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 12, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Do I really need to say a prayer?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 12, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for 2010. Lets start planning our Philadelphia invasion right now.

Posted by: FAkeemail9875 | October 12, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

It is time for szetela to get a start. He has experience at a higher level than most of the team, and it is time to see what he can do.

Posted by: jjfooty | October 12, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

griffin1108:

I was just trying to predict what Soehn will do. That makes it highly unlikely that Szetela will play, though I suppose Soehn has sprung some surprises from time to time.

If it were me, I'd start Szetela with Simms and put Wallace on the left, but other than that it would be the same group. I don't trust Habarugira over Burch at this point. Actually, if we didn't need him in midfield, I'd probably want to see Wallace at left back again (this time against a much better team). Anyone got a cloning device?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 12, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

The smell of toast would be us. See you next season.

Posted by: carnack | October 12, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

The big sports talk station down here likes to play a game called "Mike Hampton's Operation", where they give you three injuries, two Mike Hampton has had, you have to figure out which he didn't. Just reminded of me of that when somebody said something about a McBride injury map. That is all.

Oh, and also, in 8 hours, I'll be on the road head up DC way. Can't wait.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 12, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Chest -- you're right, Wallace should be at left back. I'd start McTavish over Fred at LM, but Tommy would use Fred first. It's just that Fred has been woeful offensively and defensively this year and at least McTavish would try to play the position to which he was assigned.

All of which means, I think, that DCU is toast to go this year. Oh well....

Posted by: griffin1108 | October 12, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

It will take nothing less than a miracle to get DCU in the playoffs.

I can't see it happening anymore. I truly believed that we would make the playoffs by reasoning that this team has too much heart to go out like this. But with Olsen, Quaranta, Namoff and even Pontius out, bringing that kind of intensity is near impossible.

I think, and of course this is just more of my opinion, but if someone can make the difference to take this team to the playoffs, it's Szetela. Yeah, all you critics will be quick to point out the lack of impact he has had on this team thus far. But after watching him play and paying close attention to his style, he possesses that leadership quality.

Again, as I've mentioned, if Soehn was no longer the coach, Szetela would most likely get the start. But as many of you have pointed out, the chances aren't good that Soehn starts Szetela.

redskinsux's keys to success:

-Soehn starting Szetela
-Szetela taking the initiative and willingness to organize and lead the game.

Posted by: redskinsux | October 12, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I forgot, good work Chest_Rockwell. Nice piece. I'm coming to like your assessments of this team more and more.

Posted by: redskinsux | October 12, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

------------------Kocic-------------------
Haba(Vaughn)----------James-------Jakovic----Wallace

------------------Simms--------------------

Khumalo-----------------------------Pontius

-------------------Gomez-------------------

---------------------Moreno----------------
------------------Emilio-------------------

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | October 12, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Wallace in the middle is a waste of time, he needs to be at left back and make overlapping runs, period. He doesn't have the control or vision to be in the middle. Plus he is quick but once he gets going he's pretty darn fast.

Simms needs to sit because he hasn't shown much as of late. Good god, Moreno and EmiliSLo shouldn't ever be on the field at the same time, hands down the slowest forward pairing on the planet outside of the San Paolo geriatrics church league. Moreno's got the brain just give him some legs to do the work.

Khumalo/. Moreno
Fred--Szetela-Jacobson--Shipalane
Wallace--James--Jackovic--McTavish
Kocic

Posted by: SoehntheExit | October 12, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

All of these injuries could be a good thing. This is me being overly positive (people yell at me all of the time for this) but, since the season is almost over, let's see what the future will look like on the field. It would be awesome if, instead of Emilio, we could start Boyzzzzzzzzzzzz up top. I just want to see what we will be looking at next year.

Now, if we could only see what we'd look like with someone other than Tom Soehn at the helm...

Posted by: pmtthree | October 13, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Who here believes we are going to beat the Crew? At the moment we are a bad team, with a bad coach. At full strength, it would have been difficult, but with the injuries and suspensions, we have no chance. As many have already stated, we are done, another playoffless frustrating season is coming to a close. See you all next season.

Posted by: uknowmeas-GQ | October 13, 2009 3:25 AM | Report abuse

If we do it'll at least be a great way to finish off a miserable stretch at home. Like many of you, I also have that season tic renewal letter sitting on my counter. This team needs to do something to give me and the rest of us a reason to sink $$ for seats in 2010.

Posted by: DCB23 | October 13, 2009 5:22 AM | Report abuse

Buck needs to bring the dagger call.

Posted by: Matte | October 13, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Do I really need to say a prayer?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 12, 2009 7:08 PM

I think you do...This will be a true test of his sobriety. Lots of down time...He'll need all the help he can get...

Posted by: alan19 | October 13, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Stick a fork in them, they're done.

Posted by: dculuva | October 13, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Soehn's lineup for Sat. will be quite interesting. If the starters include, Shipalane,Vaughn , Fred,or Emilio it will be quite obvious that TS has given up the season ! I hope to see;
Boyz-Moreno
Wallace- Simms, Gomez,Jacobsen
Burch, James, Jacovic,McTavish
Moreno and Gomito need to "dig in" and go the full 90 !!

Posted by: patrick18 | October 13, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

While I agree that they are done this season and I do not expect a win against Columbus. Hell, I don't even expect them to show any heart, but I can always hold out hope.

I like the Wallace, James, Jacovic, McTavish line.

Wallace has made some very strong runs from the back line and it off sets the expected attack lines.

Kocic
McTavish, Jacovic, James, Wallace
Shipalane, Simms, Szetela, Fred
Moreno
Boyzzz

Later in the game, I'd bring in Burch, move Wallace up for Fred/Shipalane (whomever suckin more) and Gomez for Moreno.

Posted by: dogboy | October 13, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse