Saturday Kickaround

*Tonight at RFK Stadium, Steve Cronin may very well become the fourth starting goalkeeper for D.C. United this season.

*Sports Bog's Dan Steinberg chats with DCU captain Jaime Moreno.

*The Los Angeles Galaxy will play a friendly against German second-division club Kaiserslautern on Nov. 26 (Thanksgiving) at Fritz Walter Stadium, site of the memorable USA-Italy first-round match in the 2006 World Cup.

*Former Mexico and Galaxy goalkeeper Jorge Campos is going to be on Capitol Hill on Wednesday morning to join thecampos.jpg Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute in promoting Financial Soccer, an educational video game that tests students' fiscal knowledge. To truly bring attention to the program, Campos should wear his jersey.

*MLS:
Real Salt Lake at Toronto, 4 (Direct Kick)
Chicago at New England, 6 (FSC)
Columbus at D.C. United, 8 (Comcast SportsNet Plus, DK)
Seattle at Kansas City, 8:30 (DK)
Colorado at Dallas, 8:30 (DK)
San Jose at Chivas USA, 10:30 (DK)
Los Angeles at Houston, Sunday at 3 (Telefutura)

*Sixth-ranked Maryland (9-3-1) won its fourth straight, a 1-0 victory at Clemson on Jason Herrick's 14th-minute goal, his sixth of the year. The Terrapins, who hadn't won there since 2003, are first in the ACC with a 4-1-1 mark.

*Condensed version of the penalty kick tiebreaker between U-20 World Cup champion Ghana and Brazil:

By Steve Goff  |  October 17, 2009; 1:09 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , D.C. United , MLS , Mexico , U-20 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United News & Notes
Next: Matchnight #29: United-Crew

Comments

The Ghana v Brasil match looks fully loaded. Any online place to watch a rematch of the game?

Posted by: redskinsux | October 17, 2009 3:19 AM | Report abuse

Great interview Steinberg; You hit home with the Soehn and Moreno picture.

Posted by: redskinsux | October 17, 2009 3:27 AM | Report abuse

@redskinsux, you can watch a replay on ESPN360. If you have comcast, you can sign in using your comcast email address. In fact, they had all the u-20 matches live. And the quality was better than any of those p2p sites

Posted by: tundey | October 17, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

@redskinsux I hate to tell you this, but I watched the whole Ghana-Brazil game and it was anything but loaded. Even the commentator couldn't help say what a dull game it was. The reason being Ghana had a man sent off fairly early in the 120 minutes. Just fast forward to the penalty shoot-out.

Posted by: Lucius2 | October 17, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@redskinsux -- It was a real snoozer. Only 2 challenging shots on goal over 120 minutes.

Posted by: fischy | October 17, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Looks like one kid wants to emulate Carlos Pavon.

Posted by: Reignking | October 17, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys, I haven't had time to sign in and say hi since I got back. You guys have a wonderful city that I enjoyed very much, and literally cannot wait to go back. Maybe come spring there'll be a nice friendly there I can head bcak up for. The people were wonderful, the architecture magical, the weather..., well, the history buff in me just couldn't get enough.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 17, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Aaaahhhh!! My eyes! My eyes! Getting anime epilepsy!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 17, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

i'm with lucius. i watched the whole game and it was a crashing bore. still beat working, though. and my office mates thought there had been a terrorist attack when I screamed after brazil's second PK save.

Posted by: troy6 | October 17, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I've never felt more like singing the blues
When Rangers win, and Chelsea lose
Ohhh Rangers, you got me singing the blues!

Enjoy your rainy Saturday, Insiders. I am.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 17, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the Texas-OU game now on ABC from the Cotton Bowl.

Surely I'm not the only one here PO'd that a soccer center circle is vaguely visible at midfield??

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 17, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Dangit Joel, I was coming to make that same joke...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 17, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, talk about lack of respect for NCAA football.

Can't even get that hideous center soccer circle off the field.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 17, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Heh, I KNEW I couldn't be the only one.

Anyone know what channel Comcast will be using for DC United tonight? It's listed as Comcast Sportsnet Plus in Goff's tv listings from Friday.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 17, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Goal, Marcelo, as the first half ends (RM 3-1 Vallodolid)

Marcelo looks and even celebrates like Robinho...

Posted by: Reignking | October 17, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

And often plays defense like him too.

Now 3-2 Madrid.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 17, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

any idea why this game starts at 8 tonight instead of the usual 7:30?

who wants to guess actual attendance? I'll say 12,000.

Posted by: fedssocr | October 17, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Count me as another who watched the entire 120 minutes of the Ghana/Brazil match and was bored stiff. Brazil controlled the opening the 15 minutes but failed to put one in, and everything kind of lapsed after that. The red card on the Ghanian player seemed incredibly harsh. After that it was a series of lame attacks by Brazil and nothing much from Ghana.

Posted by: edgeonyou | October 17, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@ JacobfromAtlanta-ish:

Glad you enjoyed the city. Bet the Costa Rica finish helped.

D.C. really does have a lot going for it. Hope you make it back here in the spring --- maybe for the season opener?

Posted by: Curious99 | October 17, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I didn't watch the U20 final, but I'm bored by proxy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 17, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up. I'm still trying to find out whether the DC United game is on in my area or not...

Posted by: redskinsux | October 17, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

On RCN, the Comcast SportsNet Plus is Channel 371. Hope you can find it. We need as many good spirits watching and rotting tonight!

Posted by: sbuck | October 17, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Argh!!! ROOTING, not rotting!!!

Posted by: sbuck | October 17, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse