Soehn, Kasper Status

D.C. United President Kevin Payne told the Insider that the club has begun evaluating Coach Tom Soehn and plans to decide within a month whether to offer him a new contract. Soehn is in the final year of a three-year deal.

"We have to determine whether we believe, for the immediate long term, if Tommy is the guy to lead the team. We don't go into this with our minds made up. We want to almost treat it like a blank slate."

Meantime, it appears General Manager Dave Kasper will return. Said Payne: "We're very pleased with Dave. We think Dave is the best in the league at his job."

The online and print-edition story is here.

In evaluating Soehn, Payne said many factors will be considered: missing the playoffs again, development of young players, the burden of a congested calendar, communication, continuity, Soehn's evolution as a coach, the importance of maintaining DCU's style, etc.

Payne noted that, under Soehn, United won the Supporters' Shield in 2007, the U.S. Open Cup last year and finished with a winning record in the Champions League this year. "There are teams in our league that haven't done that in 15 years. It's not like it's been a disaster. It's a hard decision to make. It really comes down to: What's the best way for this club to go forward? It's not an easy decision."

Much more later.....

By Steve Goff  |  October 26, 2009; 8:26 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: United Stadium Update

Comments

I can't believe they even have to think about this!!!! I hope they try and get Richie Williams.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | October 26, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

This should be a no brainer... I really can't see what there is think about!!! Sohen should be fired period !!!

Posted by: ThE-BaRRa-BrAvA-KiD | October 26, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Hope this is just a courtesy??

Posted by: the_slammer | October 26, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it's a courtesy. Remember, this is the club that doesn't fire coaches outright but generally allows their contracts to expire first and then choose not to renew.

Yeah, if Richie Williams was available, I'd grab him as a head coach right away. My next option would be Preki. I think there is going to be tremendous potential for head coach turnover this offseason. Potentially you've got us, NYRB, RSL, Chicago, Colorado, Chivas, KC, maybe Toronto all probably looking to replace a head coach.

Posted by: JoeW1 | October 26, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Immediate Long Term?

Posted by: VamosUnited1 | October 26, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I want to be fair to Tommy. I mean, I wish him well but it didn't look like the team responded when their backs were against the wall. Yes, at the very end, when it was too late, they had some fight. Tired or no, the San Jose game showed how little control he had.

We fans create our own echo chamber, "off with his head", I can appreciate that. OTOH, I don't know how you can come to another conclusion.

Posted by: bdwooton | October 26, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

RSL? Colorado? Chivas? Seems like they all have good coaches right now.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | October 26, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

If Tom Soehn comes back I'll start smoking crank, not crack but crank. Seriously.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 26, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

One of the factors to consider is that DC United should have a higher standard for success than other teams in the league. Maybe that sounds arrogant, but you can't boast "We Win Trophies," yet settle for missing the MLS playoffs two years running.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 26, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Haha it hasn't been a disaster. Silly fans. I mean the club has just been in a downward spiral in Tom Soehn's tenure. No big deal. I mean we can just finish last next year. It happens...

Posted by: totalfootballer | October 26, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Immediate Long Term is a good name for a band that covers 80's music. Or a screen name for someone who quotes it.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 26, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so Payne's description of Soehn's tenure is "not a disaster". If this was NYRB or a Guns N Roses comeback album I'd be more than satisfied with that, but hearing Kevin Payne say that just sends me bad vibes.

Posted by: Rosslyn45 | October 26, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

My wealth building strategy is to invest for the immediate long term.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 26, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I hope this is posturing from payne to not throw Tommy under the bus. It would allow him to get a new job without that awful stigma. We are aclass organization...I hope.

If it is not posturing and they really want to bring soehn back than god save us all.

Posted by: strago | October 26, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

The team has gotten worse each year he has been in charge. Supporters Shield is an impressive trophy, Open Cup is not, Runner's Up to the Open Cup is meaningless. Over half the teams in the MLS make the playoffs and we have not made it in two years. If they renew his contract its garbage. They should offer Nowak his job back.

If Soehn is the coach of DCU next season I'll be a Red Bulls fan. I'm all for team loyalty, but its not the same team it was three years ago. The team has been gutted twice, and will be a third time, mostly likely before the start of next season. The only players that are still on the team from when Nowak was coach are Moreno, Olsen, Gomez, Simms, McTavish and Namoff. Only three of them are regular starters and only Namoff and Simms needs to be kept for next season.

The team has changed from attacking, possession oriented soccer to playing kick ball. We used to have a solid goalie and now we have no consistency in that position. We used to have a solid defense and now we have two quality defenders and the rest are garbage. We used to have one of the best midfields in the league and now it is very average. Our attack was dominating and now it is old.

What has Soehn done to make DC a better team?

Posted by: bighungry | October 26, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

When we finally got the second half of the game inbetween Comcast's other important programs, did my eyes deceive me or was one of our player's behind Coach munching on something?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | October 26, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Repeat from an earlier thread......

152 days until United's first league match of 2010!

Posted by: Curious99 | October 26, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

It only looks like kick-ball because the team doesn't have the ball-control skills and speed to maintain possession.

Should we be frightened when the team's chairman says he's looking at the "immediate long-term"? Is he taking elocution lessons from the former President?

Posted by: fischy | October 26, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I would prefer the extended short term.

Posted by: Reignking | October 26, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm certainly glad that DCU fans are not in charge of deciding team direction. Too many knee-jerk reactions. I think it is correct to look at the big picture over the 3 years Soehn has been in charge. I do think the team will decide to make a change but I sure hope that change isn't to ABMOD or any other former DCU player. None of them have the experience and there are other high quality choices. I like Payne's comment about player development. That is really the long term for most teams. Who in the MLS are good measurements against this criteria; Nichols, Schmidt, Kinnear? Their teams always seem to be able to put decent players on the field even when facing congested schedules or key player injury. By that measure, I think DCU has been weak. I doubt Soehn will be back in 2010.

Posted by: rtm1 | October 26, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm not renewing my season tickets (13 years straight) until coaching and player releases are sorted out. If Sohen is back, I'm not.

Posted by: sec204 | October 26, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Payne citing the Champion's League is silly. That competition clearly mean so little to the organization that they are happy trotting out the weak squads that we did. The strong endorsement of Kasper is the most damning thing about Soehn. If the GM had all the best players then who else is to blame?

Posted by: mbyrd28 | October 26, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Question, what is dave kaspers role exactly for DC?

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | October 26, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Am glad the DC United honchos aren't making knee jerk reactions like those morons over in Ashburn. Still, Soehn must go. He won the supporter's shield in 2007 with Nowak's squad. And the Champions' league is a joke. Soehn certainly treated it as one with his stupid and inexplicable lineups.

Posted by: tundey | October 26, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious: how much later will we be hearing "much more"? Is it worth staying up for, or will it be more like a tomorrow morning kind of surprise?

Posted by: HWLongfellow | October 26, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

What? This is no knee jerk reaction. If you read anybody's comments you would realize that this is a club that has, over the past 3 years, declined from the best in the league to the worst. If you don't make the playoffs you are one of the worst you are not average. You can suck for half the season and make the playoffs. This season wasn't an anomaly it proves that last season's sucking was not solely due to injuries. Even if you disagree with the fact that soehn won the SS in the first season was lucky because he had Nowak's players and resources. Once Soehn got a squad with his own guys hes been bad. And really I know some people may disagree with me but i don't think soehn has gotten the most out of his players and he hasn't put them in positions to succeed.

Posted by: totalfootballer | October 26, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey VirginiaFan...I think that was Kocic sharing an apple with someone else (I don't remember who...)

Posted by: combedge | October 26, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Soehn has to go but so must half this team. Kasper as the best in the league? Questionable.

The truth is that we have lost touch with reality of this league. The MLS has become a league reliant of physical power. Speed of play and physical power are the most important elements found in this league. (I am not arguing that this is a good thing, just that this is the current situation.) DC United has become a team of old farts who lack the physical power to dominate, or even compete, in this league.

DC has always been a team playing cutting edge technical soccer (for MLS). This I love. Yet, we need to go out and find the right mixture of physical power which will allow for us to play smooth passing football and be able to stretch defenses.

Until we can get in behind a back line we are going to struggle. Every team knows how to play us: Sit deep because our strikers can't penetrate, and counter on an aging midfield.

But what do I know?

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 26, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

In the truncated short-term I will pretend that Kevin Payne said nothing today about either Tom Soehn or Dave Kasper.

Extended mid-term prognostication: I may be with Sec. 204, I've only put a deposit on next year's season tix, always can cancel.

Posted by: griffin1108 | October 26, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

blank slate, ha!

Posted by: FatSickBoot | October 26, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

A month before a decision is made? What happened to the 24 months that have preceded this one? No MLS playoffs means you aren't in the top 8 of the league, but he cites a second rate Cup championship from last year over a USL side? Then there's the failure to advance in the CCL.

Posted by: delantero | October 26, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

The team has gotten worse each year he has been in charge.
Posted by: bighungry | October 26, 2009 9:37

2008: 17-23-6 (WLD) 1.25 pts/game Won USOC, Fail in CCL and missed playoffs by hitting the posts (37 points in league -8 GD)

2009: 17-11-16 (WLD) 1.54 pts/game Finalist USOC, best MLS record in CCL and missed playoffs by hitting the posts (40 pts in league -1 GD)

While I think DCU probably needs a new direction, I think it already started and we can't see the forest for the trees. We began jettisoning old foreigners for young Americans this year and improved dramatically in the WL column, if you look at the facts. A few big foreigners and a core group of good Americans win in this league. Playing 10 games in 31 days gives you no time to recover, much less work on weaknesses.

Next year with a huge salary cap space, good young Americans, and a dozen fewer games than this year should be a big help, regardless of who's coaching.

Posted by: soyinocente1 | October 26, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I imagine there are a number of reasons why KP set out a month to "decide". The team isn't going to let Soehn go, and then go through a circus trying to land a coach. I've seen too many teams that act precipitously and get turned down publicly by candidates. This leads to the public perception that the team ends up being saddled with a second, third or fourth choice coach. Also, in the meantime, the team has no coach. Not a good situation.

There may be good reasons why KP is waiting a month. KP my be sincere in saying he doesn't know what he'll do. Or, he may be biding time to see who might become available. In which case, there's no good reason to leave the team without a coach in the interim.

The only reason to let go of Soehn now would be if the team would dive right into an intensive search for his replacement -- and fears it might lose out on their top choices if they wait. Suppose they're waiting to see what Chivas does with Preki, or they're waiting to interview someone (Spencer? Sarachan?) who is with a playoff team? Maybe even Arena would consider a DC return if he won the Cup -- utter speculation on my part, but I'm laying out the case why it may be a while before United hires a new coach, even if they did decide tomorrow to let Soehn go. In the meantime, they have a full staff that can assist with evaluating the current roster and help scout prospects.

MLS is not like most other professional leagues. Teams do not have well-developed personnel/scouting offices. If they fire the coaches, they lose probably 90% of the staff involved in scouting and personnel evaluation. That won't do the team any good.

While I am hoping that KP decides the team needs new blood on the field and in the staff, I applaud his taking a methodical approach.

Posted by: fischy | October 26, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

soyinocente makes some excellent points.

Posted by: fischy | October 26, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

This is one of those Brothers Grimm help the kids have nightmares fairy tales, right?

Posted by: Alejandro_10 | October 26, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

It may have been Nowak's team in 07, but some epic front office failures after that season left Tommy in a bad spot. And I disagree that the product has declined since one year ago. I think they've made some progress in every area since 08, and that includes Soehn's overall performance. They are well-positioned for continued improvement in '10.

But clearly Soehn could have done better with the squad he had. 45 points on the MLS table, a legit .500 record, was my benchmark. I think a better coach could have gotten that out of this team, and I think DCU needs to go in another direction.

But Kasper and Payne both had some hand in the post-07 meltdown, so while they do listen to STHs, that gives them a different perspective. They're the ones running a multi-million dollar corporation. And I'm sure they both can tell you working for DCU is no glamor gig, no matter who you are.

I think they'll make a change -- the FO's gotten better in the past year, too, despite the stadium issue -- but it's not as simple as some people seem to think.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 26, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

If they give Soehn a month and don't re-sign him, we go into the expansion draft, brief trade window, and first round of waivers blind. How does that help us in any way, shape, or form?

Posted by: jason1551 | October 27, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

@jason -- the point is the team would use the interim to evaluate Soehn AND any potential replacements. If they decide to cut him lose, I'd be stunned if it takes more than a couple of weeks to name the new coach. The won't fire Tommy unless they have a good idea what they want in a new coach -- and maybe even who they want to take over.

Posted by: fischy | October 27, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

On Player Development... When's the last time anyone drafted two rookies that ended up becoming high impact starters, AND signed a youth academy player with TONS of promise?
Just askin'...
Like I said before, this isn't the type of decision making that gets done overnight. While many here have spent months shunning DCU players and coaches alike, long before the season had played itself out, I'd guess everyone in the team was looking at the bright side and hoping for favorable results.
We don't want to see them hire a Zorn or anything do we?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 27, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Relax, people. You don't actually expect Payne to rip Soehn publicly, do you? He has too much class for that.

I fully expect that DCU will not re-sign (as opposed to "fire") Soehn.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 27, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

It is good that Payne doesn't rip Tommy publicly. I have no doubt that they will have a new coach for 2010, but I'd think they'd want him place in 2-3 weeks to get a jumpstart on evaluating for the draft and winter transfer window.

With the Dave Kasper decision, I can see him getting credit for their drafting Pontius and Wallace and also developing Bill Hamid from the youth academy this year, but the acquisition of foreign players has been a disaster under his watch (e.g. Gallardo, Peralta, Niell, Martinez, Guerrero), and I'd think that alone would disqualify Kasper as the "best" in the league at his general manager role.

Wasn't he the one who led that effort?

Posted by: billindmd | October 27, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

"If you fire him now, you might get a quality replacement in early and get them going on the tweaks/overhaul."-Delantero

Yeah I agree. Fire him NOW. The FO needs to make a statement to the players, fans, and other teams showing the obvious disappointment and discontent. Over the last two years, DC United has not lived up to its name, or reputation. It needs to be conveyed that our performances and results are NOT ACCEPTABLE by our standards of success. Missing the playoffs and failing to advance in CCL two straight years is horrendous, especially when so many of the game performances were so disheartening and uninspiring.

Tom Soehn's incorrigibility has haunted DC for the last two years and will continue to do so as long as Kevin Payne keeps him here. Why is Payne reluctant to change or go against the tradition of "waiting" to make personnel decisions? History has shown and proven that civilizations, businesses and even people that don't change ultimately fail. Is this really something that requires much thought?! Look at the player's frustrations and outbursts, the inconsistent line-ups, the reduced production and motivation, the chemistry, the results! Why make everyone nervous and anxious by saying the head coach will be judged on a "blank slate"? I think DC United fans deserve better. I think we all deserve some much needed relief and peace of mind after all we've been through, together and united, over the last 2 years.

Posted by: redskinsux | October 27, 2009 2:44 AM | Report abuse

CACuscatlan:

RSL and Colorado? Really?

RSL has one of MLS's best playmakers, a fringe national team defensive midfielder, a group of good strikers, one of the best center back pairings in the league, and a respectable goalkeeper. They also have one of the more difficult venues to play at due to the altitude. Despite all that, they barely made it into the playoffs. I'd argue that Kreis is holding that team back. I wouldn't mind taking Garth Lagerwey off their hands as our GM, though.

Gary Smith turned the Rapids into a good team. However, the moment their wide players started getting hurt, he had no other ideas and things fell apart. In MLS, being able to adapt because you've been hit by some bizarre circumstance is a must, and thus far he has shown that he can't.

270:

Couldn't agree more. Measuring ourselves by the standards of other MLS clubs is unacceptable. The standard we should be meeting was set under Arena and Nowak (and to a lesser extent, during the Rongen custodianship). The last time we played that well over a period of time was during the first half of 2007. That's 2 full seasons and a large chunk of a third.

I know Payne is trying to get the angry mob forming outside RFK to maybe put down the pitchforks for a second. I don't really think he hews to a "Things aren't so bad" way of thinking. However, I can't help but be slightly insulted by that kind of talk. I'm not stupid. The standard isn't being met, and even if things aren't the hellish disaster some United fans paint them out as, that doesn't mean we should chill out.

fischy:

Another "couldn't agree more". DC United only played kickball under Hudson. This year's team constantly tried to play the right way. The problem is that we had too many slow thinkers and too many players plagued by inconsistency with their first touch or passes.

grubbsbl:

That's why we needed to use Pontius up front. Yeah, it probably meant benching a DP and our best finisher. So what? I'll take creating 10 real chances with a so-so forward getting onto most of them over creating 2-3 for Emilio. With Quaranta and Wallace on the flanks and Moreno or Gomez available to supply the class and smarts, Pontius could have easily ended up with as many goals as Emilio while our overall style would have been much more dangerous.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 27, 2009 4:58 AM | Report abuse

soyinocente1:

Good points. I know I'm not the only one saying we need tweaks rather than the TNT approach. A couple starters need improvement, and we need new leadership on the bench.

2008's team needed to be blown up because there were too many bad parts. This year's team is closer to being good.

billindmd:

For what it's worth, Guerrero was acquired from within MLS (unlike the rest of that list), and frankly I've always thought Soehn misused him.

Still, your point stands. Kasper's done some very good things here, but he's also had some big slip-ups. Being the best requires consistency. Kasper has drafted well (though Euro clubs have run off with about half of his good picks) and it seems like his network abroad is deeper than the other GMs in MLS. However, his eye for young talent appears much sharper than his eye for finished products.

***

Personally, I'm not at all surprised that United is taking a measured approach. This has never been a knee-jerk organization (which, for those of you furiously shouting for immediate action, makes us more palatable to potential new coaches). Frankly, I believe we might be without a new boss by the time the expansion draft comes around. If we're trying to snag someone with a playoff team, we probably have to wait until they're eliminated. If we want Williams, we probably have to wait for NY to screw up and tell him they want a big name.

I don't want the team to make a quick decision; I want them to make the right decision.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 27, 2009 5:17 AM | Report abuse

I won't argue the point that it is time for a new coach, although I say again Guus Hiddink (or whoever you think is the best coach in the world) could have been our coach this year and the result would have been maybe 45 points instead of the 40 we got. We would have gotten into the MLS playoffs and we would have promptly gotten beat out of sight. Big deal. Such an outcome would still, rightly, have been deemed by the learned posters on this board as a failure.

The way you have to structure an MLS team to position it for a serious run at the title is to get a core of highly skilled foreign players, the bulk of whom form the spine of the team. Last season DC tried to do that with Jakovic in the central defense, Gomez central attacker, and Moreno and Emilio up top, with Fred wide.

The next thing you do is try to fill out other positions with good or at least serviceable American talent. Hence, DC went with the likes of Quaranta, Olsen, Namoff, Pontius, Wallace, etc.

Well, on balance, the keys of that strategy did not pan out. Moreno's wonderful skills did help us win some games but his lack of pace almost cancelled that out. Same with Gomez. Emilio fell off a cliff. Fred, it turned out, can't play soccer anymore. And no, he is no better "in his natural position in the middle". We tried him there, and he stunk there, too. Olsen should have hung up his boots but didn't, and was a huge net liability who badly slowed an already painfully slow attack. "Backpass" Quaranta made a little noise early on but othwerwise showed hinself to be a once promising player now, at best, struggles to maintain viability as a journeyman.

Bottom line: too many of our players were too old, too slow, too banged-up and worn out, or just plain not good enough. You can't get blood out of a turnip, and you can't coach old, slow, worn-out players to be Lionel Messis.

"You can't fire the players", it is said, so you fire the coach. OK, fine. I would love to have Preki in here as our coach. Or Richie Williams. Or Bruce Arena again.

But until we get a completely new set of skilled, core players, the results are going to be the same.

Posted by: Ron16 | October 27, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

I can translate for those that don't speak BS (not Big Soccer) corporate double talk.

KP: "We have our eyes on a few candidates, but we're not going to commit to not re-signing TS - or cutting him loose, until we have the other coach wrapped up. One of the coaching candidates is involved with the play-offs, our request to interview him has been denied by the play-off team until after the season.

PY on DK: Turning over both TS and KP would leave us too thin in the front office during this crucial off-season. If we can get a coach who can run the front office (but I'm doubtful) and that "WE" trust, DK may be gone too. But I don't think this is going to happen.

Posted by: J_S_F | October 27, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Last I heard, Jim Zorn is not "officially" available. But everyone expects him to be available once he gets his last paycheck for the season.

That's probably what Kevin Payne means by "immediate long term."

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 27, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

@Poopy_McPoop, can you obtain a prescription card for ice in California these days?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 27, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

2007: Win the Supporters Shield, but bounced from the play-offs.

2008: Win the US Open Cup but miss play-offs.

2009: Miss play-offs, lose the US Open Cup, but we had a nice record in the CCL (which we got bounced from).

There seems to be a trend here...but not a positive one.

Posted by: Tweaked | October 27, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

With respect, Dave Kasper cannot avoid his part in the downward spiral that the team has been in for the last years.

I cannot believe that he was not involved in bringing in Tommy Soehn in the first place. What exactly about Soehn might have convinced Kasper and co. that Tommy was ready to take over a team that plays like United does? What in his playing career indicated that he understood a quick passing 3-5-2 tactical system? Sitting next to Nowak and osmosizing Peter's ability? What about a few years showing that he could win with the Wilmington Hammerheads or the Charleston Battery before he takes over at DCUnited?

Kasper had to be involved in the purely sentimental decisions to bring back Gomez after his disastrous departure from DC and his subsequent failure at Colorado. Gomez was always the 60minute man so why would anyone believe that after a year's rest he'd return any fitter or more ready to contribute? His sentimentality has extended to eking out the last dregs of Moreno's and Olsen's career, and sticking with very spotty performers like Emilio and Fred.

Kasper has also taken us down the road of failure with our Argentinian recruits. Gomez is the success-story and a big one, but also the only one. Don't forget Neill, Erpin, Filomeno, and all the others that were simply hopeless. Years of squandering our recruits with flops and well-meaning midgets is not a record that Kasper can point to with any pride.

We could do better than Kasper as well.

Posted by: gooner71 | October 27, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Cry, Cry, Cry me a river. Tommy is the best you will get. From reading the comments I think gooer71 should be coach, or how about Goff, or maybe, just maybe we could a high profile euro snob coach to come over and put a team out there that does even worse than this year. Maybe a coach who knows nothing about American soccer. That's never happened before....

Posted by: RicoSuave4 | October 27, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

A BLANK SLATE???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!

You evaluate a coach and everyone else based on performance! That requires actual judgment. What a load of horse #$%^.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 27, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse