Thursday Kickaround

*While D.C. United moved closer to a Champions League quarterfinal berth, Houston took a step back with a 1-0 home loss to Pachuca, which clinched a spot. [Watch the goal.] The Dynamo (seven points) will need to win its finale at last-place Metapan and hope Pachuca (12) defeats visiting Arabe Unido (10).

*Jeff Cunningham's MLS-best 16th goal, a superb header in the 71st minute, provided Dallas with a 1-0 victory over New England, which added to its injury woes with Jay Heaps' departure in the 10th minute and missed an opportunity to strengthen its playoff portfolio. Remarkably, Dallas is now only four points behind the Revs for the final playoff spot. New England's loss was also helpful to United, Toronto, Real Salt Lake and the other contenders.

Thanks to a doubleheader attendance of 51,012 at the Cotton Bowl -- which the home club wasn't shy to claim as its own -- FCD's season average rocketed 35 percent to 11,625. In the main event, Colombia defeated Mexico, 2-1.

*Americans abroad:
Yesterday
D Oguchi Onyewu 30 minutes in AC Milan's 1-0 loss to Zurich
MF Jose Francisco Torres 38 in Pachuca's 1-0 win over Houston
Today
MF Clint Dempsey and Fulham vs. Basel in Europa League
GK Tim Howard and Everton at BATE Barisov in Europa League

*Several high-profile WPS players, including Heather Mitts, are now free agents.

For today's TV listings.....

*Soccer on TV:
Europa League, AEK Athens-Benfica 1 p.m. GolTV
Europa League, Valencia-Genoa 3 p.m. GolTV
Copa Sudamericana, Lanus-LDU Quito 6 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Europa League, Celtic-Rapid Vienna 8 p.m. GolTV
Copa Sudamericana, Espanola-Velez Sarsfield 8:30 p.m. FSE
CONCACAF Champions League, Marathon-Toluca 10 p.m. Galavision

By Steve Goff  |  October 1, 2009; 6:27 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , CONCACAF Champions League , MLS , TV , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: USA-Honduras TV Update

Comments

Wow! Onyewu got some playing time. What's that all about?

Posted by: no_recess | October 1, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I read that he was actually pushing up top to get the equalizer -- and I thought that was just a trick for the US tour.

Posted by: Reignking | October 1, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Freedom should sign Heather (for my sake), unless this is a ruse to re-locate her to Philly. Is she still with that quarterback guy?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 1, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Do we have attedance (aka tickets sold) for last night's DCU match?

Posted by: Reignking | October 1, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

That Dallas link is for a double red card for arguing an offside call, for the record. It's kinda funny.

The Cunningham header actually was very nice. Sucks the Dynamo couldn't win that game, as they actually owned everything about it. Possession, chances, shots, they played wonderfully, Pachuca just got that goal and had the quality to hold it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 1, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I think I saw Steve tweet that the attendance was over 3,000.

Posted by: addick | October 1, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Also, yesterday somebody asked what ticket sales for USA-Costa Rica are like. I have a way of approximating crowd size that takes about four minutes. Go to the ticketmaster site for the game, and then search for a pair of tickets in the "best available" section in each price range. Right now, when you search in the US Fan section, the $110 range is sold out, $85 only has mezzanine available, and the $65, $45, $35 are all up in the upper level, at least 5 rows back.

Pretty much same for what they're labeling as the Costa Rica fan sections.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 1, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Freedom should sign Heather (for my sake)

Posted by: I-270Exit1
------------------------
second that. and Osbourne too, while you're at it. (any chance Tarpley would be a free agent any time soon?)

Posted by: troy6 | October 1, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

*270, sadly I think the answer to your question is yes. Still, I would enjoy seeing any of those other free agents at the Plex next year (even though some like Lloyd were subpar this year). Another positive sign for Freedom -- their office is already getting very aggressive about selling next year's tickets.

* Burch a 6? Are you mad? The MINUTE he stepped on the pitch, the JV team scored, and did so by coming right through his front door on a counter, leaving DCU 2v2. And then he took a gratuitous moon shot 20 yards OVER the goal from 40 yards out, when he had multiple options.

* I rejoice when Mexico loses.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 1, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

"Is she still with that quarterback guy?"

AJ Feeley's NFL career is barely breathing as he has gone from Philly to Miami to San Diego to Philly to Carolina in just a few years. I don't know if Mitt's is still with him . . . but if the Freedom sign her, I mightcould make it to a game.

Posted by: delantero | October 1, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the cards in the Dallas game, I don't think the original call was for offside, but for a push in the back on a player away from the ball. that appears to be what all of the arguing was about, based on the last few seconds of the video.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | October 1, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

"Men and boys openly wept when the Boston Globe revealed that Heather Mitts, the elegant soccer star once named ESPN.com's "Hottest Female Athlete" was officially engaged to Eagles quarterback A. J. Feeley."

Article contains a link to a Mitts video.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 1, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I would like to dedicate this post to I-270, who is the wind beneath my wings, and who said I couldn't type with my left hand.

Had a terrible commute on I-66 today, and my mind wandered to this song:

"I could use somebody...
You know that I could use somebody...
For HOV..."

Kings of Leon, "Use Somebody," somewhat modified

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 1, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

That song is so overplayed. It's just a-ight, dog.

Posted by: Reignking | October 1, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Goff, well played on your delivery of the Heather Mitts news. Bravo.

Posted by: Matte | October 1, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Shucks, CR is hurt.

Posted by: Reignking | October 1, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

When Jay got hurt, did he fall in a ...

Oh, forget it.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 1, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Why do you all think of trading Fred for Eddie Gaven ? I'm pretty sure Fred is not going to be here next season so might as well get something for him while we can.

What about Emilio for Maykel Galindo? We should have sold Emilio for $1.5M when Morelia were interested.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | October 1, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

@reignking: dude, you should be thankful I can even quote a song from this decade...

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 1, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

"Why do you all think of trading Fred for Eddie Gaven ?"

Perfect! While we're at it, let's trade Khumalo for Landon Donovan!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 1, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

At this past season's Freedom/Breakers match, they were offering a chance to meet and get a picture with Heather Mitts for a $10 donation to the Freedom Inspires charity. I didn't do it out of principle as a Freedom fan, but for some of y'all it sounds like that alone would be worth the trip out to the Plex.

Posted by: JamesDougan | October 1, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@Charisma_Man,

I'm going to have nix both of those trade proposals.

We have to face it - Fred has no value to MLS left in the tank at this point. He's not a dynamic force going forward, he's a liability defensively, and he's injury prone and dainty. I'm not sure there's a buyer abroad (even in the A-League) and certainly no GM in MLS willing to jump out of their skin to sign him to run the flank at his salary. I thank him for his efforts, His first half season and the beginning of the following showed promise. I know he's faced a lot of personal adversity while here, but it's time to move on.

Emilio, he's got value, but at his salary and DP designation, I think not. I'm not sure his production going forward is really going to increase much less maintain. I'm not sure how long his current deal with MLS/DCU is but lets hope that it has an out or there is someone who'd be willing to take the guy for $0.75 on the dollar.

Eddie Gaven is too erratic still - and Galindo missed 18 months with Tomas Rosicky-itis, right? DC United, should they stick with Tommy or bring in a new guy, should really take this chance to FULLY swing to a new core of young players who can go both ways, don't need as much minute management and augment them with the veteran, OFF THE BENCH presence of some of the other guys here (Moreno, Olsen, Gomez).

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 1, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Also? Mitts got completely pwned by Sonia Bompastor in that match, including at least one nutmeg and another juke that left her lying on the ground as Bompastor ran past. So, aesthetics aside, I'd rather have her on someone else's back line.

Posted by: JamesDougan | October 1, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Some local youth clubs are among the nation's elite:

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 1, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

joedoc1: true, I don't get many of the references.

Oh goodie, made up trades!!! It's like sports talk radio circa 1990.

Posted by: Reignking | October 1, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

@joedoc, for providing an interesting list. Bethesda -- how the mighty have fallen...

Posted by: fischy | October 1, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Perfect! While we're at it, let's trade Khumalo for Landon Donovan!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 1, 2009 10:49 AM |
------------------------------------------------------

I don't know, man. Donovan might be headed to Europe.

Posted by: fischy | October 1, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

What an annoying list -- you would think that they could at least include what metro area / state those clubs are in.

Posted by: Reignking | October 1, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

It would be a shame if FC Dallas made it to the play-offs and not DC.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 1, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Just looking at the records...the most wins for any team is 12 (out of 27). No team has won half of its games? That's depressing.

Posted by: Reignking | October 1, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

NY Red Bulls at #24? That might be the senior team. Better check the birth certificates.

Posted by: troy6 | October 1, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"Had a terrible commute on I-66 today"

I think I have identified the problem...don't commute on I-66!

Posted by: troy6 | October 1, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Get your kicks on Route six six
Get your kicks on Route 66

Posted by: OWNTF | October 1, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Get your kicks on Route six six
Get your kicks on Route 66

Posted by: OWNTF | October 1, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Nat King Cole did it first but Manhattan Transfer did it best. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 1, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Perfect! While we're at it, let's trade Khumalo for Landon Donovan!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 1, 2009 10:49 AM |
------------------------------------------------------

I don't know, man. Donovan might be headed to Europe.

Posted by: fischy | October 1, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------------------

OK then, I'll settle for Kocic for Keller.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 1, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, I was thinking Asleep at the Wheel.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 1, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

VBB:

I don't know, every time I've read anything about Fred from an Aussie perspective, they still think he's nothing short of brilliant. I say we make some calls and try to get a transfer fee, if possible (I don't know how long his contract here is).

***

I never thought I'd say this, but Hyndman may have actually figured it out in Dallas (3-1-1 in the month of September). They're still defensively fragile, but they're scoring goals and winning games, despite appearing mostly hopeless a few weeks back. Totally unexpected, to say the least.

Also, the schedule has been almost comically forgiving of our own failings in the last 2 home games. Other than Colorado getting 2 draws instead of losses to teams out of the playoff race, it has been perfect for us. To be perfectly blunt, failing to make the playoffs given the results around the league and our run-in would be one of the most appalling things to happen in club history.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 1, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"... one of the most appalling things to happen in club history."

Outside of Moreno's choice of hair colors, of course.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 1, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Who is going to be the "pool goalie" for United on Saturday?

Posted by: no_recess | October 1, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse