Thursday Kickaround

It's a huge day for the D.C. United lads, and they're not even playing.

The Chicago-Chivas USA match at Toyota Park (8 p.m. ET, ESPN2) will determine whether DCU still has a chance -- remarkably -- to finish second in MLS's Eastern Conference. The Fire needs just a tie to clinch the second slot behind Columbus and lock up a playoff berth. A loss could spell trouble for Chicago (42 points), which is only three points ahead of DCU (as well as Toronto and New England) and would lose a tiebreaker with United. Chivas is vying for first in the West and keep alive its hopes for the Supporters' Shield.

In Port of Spain (8 p.m., no TV), winless San Juan Jabloteh would do DCU a enormous favor in the CONCACAF Champions League group finale by beating or tying Marathon, which is a point behind United and loses the head-to-head, goal-differential tiebreaker. Meantime, following a 3-2 victory over Real Espana last night, W Connection of T&T has a good chance of reaching the quarterfinals. Comunicaciones must win at first-place Pumas tonight to seize the berth.

*Soccer on TV:
Europa League, Benfica-Everton 1 p.m. GolTV
Europa League, Fulham-Roma 53 p.m. GolTV
Copa Sudamericana, River Plate-San Lorenzo 5:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
MLS, Chicago-Chivas USA 8 p.m. ESPN2
CONCACAF Champions League, Communicaciones-Pumas 10 p.m. Galavision

By Steve Goff  |  October 22, 2009; 8:09 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , D.C. United , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Goalie Scores, but Dynamo Falters
Next: Onyewu Out Six Months

Comments

I'll be watching Chicago/Chivas on TV, and searching the internet tubes for Marathon/SJJ.

Quick poll: If you could pick only one of those matches to go our way, which would you choose?

I think I'm going to be rooting harder for Chivas. A win or tie by Chicago and the number of playoff spots in contention drops from 3 to 2 before the weekend even starts.

Posted by: DCUMD | October 22, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm pulling for Jabloteh. I hate to see anyone skunked. And by the time the knockoff round comes in concacaf hopefully we have a better roster. Backing into the MLS playoffs is just extending the agony (especially in second place -- wouldn't that be weird). And anyway I don't want to pull for another MLS team, even if it is against the Fire.

Posted by: regularfan | October 22, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Steve - can we get some sort of scoresheet before saturday? Like, who else we own tiebreakers against? And who has them against us? I had no clue what that posting on united's website meant. If you give us the tiebreakers we can work out the points for ourselves; no need to give all the bazillion permutations.

Posted by: regularfan | October 22, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Steve - just a heads up... Fulham v Roma will be shown live on GolTV at 3pm (not 5pm)

Posted by: Kev29 | October 22, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Any reason why the final round of games (DC-Toluca, Marathon-SJJ) weren't played at the same time like is common in other tournaments?

Posted by: emanon13 | October 22, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Good news for DC area soccer fans who want to see "The Damned United" - it starts at Loews Shirlington and Bethesda Row tomorrow.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 22, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Rooting for Chivas. As long as there are playoffs in this league, why not? We've won the Supporter's Shield and lost in the playoffs....why not hope for the poetic justice of backing into the playoffs and winning the whole darned thing?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 22, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

B&Rdevil -- good point. I think probably I'm just trying to set my own expectations low so as not to be disappointed (again). But y'all know what colors I bleed.

Posted by: regularfan | October 22, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Poetic justice?

If we win the whole darned thing,
If we raise the Cup and sing,
Then our fate's to gripe and moan
Again next year with head coach Soehn.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 22, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

If we fail to qualify
I will hand my head and cry
But if we land in poo
We'll be rid of you-know-who.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 22, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

that would be hang my head. Really need new glasses (or new fingers).

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 22, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

contrarian point (around these parts anyway). Seeing as how we are 3 points out of 2nd place ... is Soehn really that bad of a coach? (or does that just speak to something about MLS?)

Posted by: nairbsod | October 22, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nairbsod | October 22, 2009 10:03 AM

I'm going to go ahead and pick the latter

Posted by: Kev29 | October 22, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have any news on Eric Lichaj.

He was just loaned out to Lincoln City from Aston Villa. Do you think he will ever get a call for the National Team?

Posted by: b_frostie | October 22, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

nairsbod: B. "something about MLS." The best team, Columbus, is averaging 1.7 points per game. In what league is that considered good?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 22, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

While I rarely disagree with I-270, I guess I'd have to answer depends on your defense. Right now United have fewer goals scored than Liverpool, but we have concede fewer, and are SEVEN PLACES above them in the table. Thank you. I just wanted to type that.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 22, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

My bad, you said "points" not "goals" Forget everything I just said. Glasses -- need new glasses!!!!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 22, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

No tv for the CCL match... hmmm.

Posted by: sitruc | October 22, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Lo and behold! 8th place Liverpool have 15 points from 9 games or 1.66 points per game average.

I was right -- just wrong about what I was right about. (Guys, only a woman could say that and get away with it.)

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 22, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

So...to root for Chivas and have a shot at second, but that also means Cowlumbus will have something to play for...the Supporters Sheild. OR root for Chicago (puke!) so that Cowlumbus would have secured the Supporters Sheild and play a "B" squad.....decisions, decisions..

Posted by: boda-united | October 22, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

boda-united, I am confused why we would care if Columbus have something to play for.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 22, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil
==========

They'll improve towards the end of the season, because their points will balloon.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 22, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Columbus needs something to play for so they go out and try to beat New England.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | October 22, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Sky Blue signs an Orange.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 22, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Freedom stuff on sale. New kit for next year? Still nothing for men except the boring white T-Shirt (sorry OWNTF).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 22, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Boda-United is on to something here that I hadn't thought of. Even more reason to pull for the Goats tonight! Before their loss to DC, there was talk that Columbus would rest Schelotto and other starters in the final week. I don't think they will do that if they need a win to get first place and the Shield.

If Chicago wins or ties to take 2nd place in the East, then DC United will be 3-0-2 against the two top seeded teams in our conference. Funny how things turn out.

Posted by: DCUMD | October 22, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

If they make a women's cut DCU jersey they really oughtta make a beer belly cut Freedom jersey. I'd buy one to match my skort...
How come they never sold those? Scantilly clad messenger girls love them things!

Posted by: DadRyan | October 22, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 22, 2009 11:24 AM

That theory could pop if they end the season with a lot of dead rubbers

Posted by: Kev29 | October 22, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan
==================

Also, there was an article somewhere in this series of tubes stating that men were the primary ticket holders in WPS.

Do you wear a utili-skort?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 22, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

So, I have tickets to Fulham vs Roma! Great, right? Except that instead of sitting in Craven Cottage right now, I am at freakin' Dulles thanks to Virgin Atlantic canceling my flight yesterday!

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | October 22, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 22, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

===============================

MLS -- socialist structure -- leveling, mediocrity, member for life

EPL -- capitalist structure -- excellence and "not excellence"/relegation -- every year 3 teams fail -- creative destruction

Posted by: OWNTF | October 22, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Hangeland goal for Fulham.

Posted by: Reignking | October 22, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

F U, VIRGIN ATLANTIC!

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | October 22, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Utiliskort? Never again... I'm shunning any and everything that has to do with Seattle. ;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | October 22, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Is there no coverage of the CCL match in Trinidad at all? Even on the intertubes? I'd love to watch that match.

If anyone comes across a link please share.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 22, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | October 22, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Chicago FO should hire the Sounders marching band on loan to drown out their tone deaf supporters... Easily the most awful singing I've hear in a while.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 22, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Funny line from the Marathon-Jabloteh match tracker:

"Yellow to Brown for the challenge on Elton John"

Posted by: PeteO1 | October 22, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

jobloteh ties it up 1-1

Posted by: Jaywag86 | October 22, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Marathon's up again, 2-1

Posted by: UvaGooner | October 22, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

now 3-1. thats it for DC

Posted by: Jaywag86 | October 22, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

fire up 1-0. not going our way tonight

Posted by: Jaywag86 | October 22, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Jabloteh scored. Now 3-2.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | October 22, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

That was a great header by Lillingston off Blanco's corner. Too bad it was on the wrong goal for the wrong team.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | October 22, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

jabloteh scores again. 3-2

Posted by: Jaywag86 | October 22, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I think you mean 4-2.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | October 22, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

another goal for marathon 4-2

Posted by: Jaywag86 | October 22, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Jabloteh just lost a player to a red card for "stamping" on a player. This game is definitely over now.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | October 22, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

chivas is done too.

Posted by: Jaywag86 | October 22, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Three years in a row of DCU playing well in MLS for the first half of the season, only to have the team completely stink for the second half of the season . . . time to fire Soehn.

Two years in a row of awful performances by DCU in the Concacaf Champions League . . . time to fire Soehn.

Posted by: DeliBelly | October 22, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse