Tuesday Kickaround

*At last check, threefour "English" sites in the DC-Maryland-Virginia region have agreed to offer the USA-Honduras match on closed circuit for a cover charge: Molly Malone's near Capitol Hill, Fado Irish Pub in downtown D.C., Summers in Arlington and Slainte Irish Pub in Baltimore. Contact these fine establishments directly for details.

*Imagine the possibilities in CONCACAF with this USSF scenario generator.

*The print edition story about Josh Wicks and Clint Dempsey.

*Americans abroad:
Yesterday
GK Brad Friedel 90 minutes in Aston Villa's 1-1 tie with Manchester City
GK Brad Guzan in 18 didn't play in Aston Villa's tie
GK Troy Perkins 90 in Valerenga's 3-1 win over Viking
F Marcus Tracy didn't play in Aalborg's 2-1 loss at Odense
Today
MF Jemal Johnson and MK Dons vs. Southend
F Mike Grella and Leeds vs. Darlington

*Costa Rica loses Celso Borges (five goals in 15 caps) to injury.

*Roberto Donadoni is out as manager of Napoli.

*The USA women's roster for the Oct. 29 friendly at Germany:
GKs: Nicole Barnhart (Gold Pride), Hope Solo (St. Louis).
Ds: Brittany Bock (Los Angeles), Rachel Buehler (Gold Pride), Lori Chalupny (St. Louis), Amy LePeilbet (Boston), Heather Mitts (out of contract), Cat Whitehill (Washington).
MFs: Yael Averbuch (Sky Blue), Shannon Boxx (Los Angeles), Tobin Heath (UNC), Angela Hucles (Boston), Lori Lindsey (Philadelphia), Carli Lloyd (out of contract), Heather O'Reilly (Sky Blue), Megan Rapinoe (Chicago).
Fs: Amy Rodriguez (Philadelphia), Abby Wambach (Washington).

*Maryland takes a two-game losing streak into tonight's nonconference match against Loyola (Ill.) at Ludwig Field.

By Steve Goff  |  October 6, 2009; 8:59 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , CONCACAF , College Soccer , Costa Rica , D.C. United , MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wicks Suspended 5 Games
Next: Poll: USA in Honduras

Comments

Too bad that Maradona was already employed.

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Fado's website lists the game as "TBC", which I presume means "To Be Considered." Most of the other Fado's in the chain are already listed on the promotional company's site as carrying the game, so hopefully the DC location will come through, too.

Posted by: EdTheRed | October 6, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Goff, I am pretty sure it said on the Fado Facebook page that it will be playing there. Can you find out if that is true or not? Thanks.

Posted by: dosacero | October 6, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Fado is waiting on an equipment delivery before they officially confirm (gotta make sure the CC setup is working first). According to the friendly woman I just chatted with, the equipment is due to be delivered tomorrow, at which point they will post confirmation on their website:

Posted by: EdTheRed | October 6, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Fado updates

USSF says Fado/DC is in, so I've added it to the list

SG

Posted by: Steve Goff | October 6, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Any Charlottesville locations for the match after I watch Indiana dominate the Hoos and further my cause to see Al Groh get the boot??

Kidding - no one there is ponying up for this match on a college football Saturday.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 6, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

A bit OT, but I was just on the DCU website looking at the nominees for the DCU goal of the year. One thing that I noticed was consistent in all of the clips (except for Fred's-- I just couldn't tell because they didn't show many other players) was that both Moreno and Gomez were on the field at the same time. At what point in the season did Soehn decide that both Jaime and Christian couldn't be on the field at the same time? I was a bit dumbfounded (as I know many others were) when the Gomez/Moreno sub occurred Sat. night. When both are in the game, the opposing team has 2 creative players to worry about, not just 1, thus making opportunities for the other that doesn't have the ball or certainly for the other players on the field. I had made the comment on Saturday night as well as to why they couldn't both play at the same time. Having watched these highlights just seemed to confirm this thought for me. We were much more creative and dangerous with both of them on the field. Thoughts?

Posted by: HarkesyRules | October 6, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

My thought is I'm shunning DC United.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Groh = Get Rid Of Him

Too bad UVa owns UNC.

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I actually have plans to watch a real college football game between two teams that always play a tough game. I might need a cold shower and have to drive back to the DC area from Blacksburg shortly after VT-BC just so I can watch the match.

Hopefully all of the Hokies going through the school's ticket office for the Tech game will help things, VBB. The situation with Groh is almost sad at this point. Every Hokie thought it was a joke when he was named ACC Coach of the Year a couple years ago. All that matters at this point is conference games and maybe a bowl. Right now UVA is 1-0(don't get me started on Butch Davis) so they aren't in horrible shape.

Posted by: sitruc | October 6, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Slainte's web site lists a $15 cover for the Honduras game. Better than nothing, but I don't think I'll make the trek to the Fells Point Zoo for a 10 pm Saturday game.

Posted by: Modibo | October 6, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

@sitruc and Reignking,

Your support is appreciated. I come from a LONG line of Hokies down in Hokie-noke.

I will be watching the game on MatchCenter on the ol'BlackBerry that night obviously.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 6, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Since I'm at work, I can't see this, but apparently Martín Palermo scored on a header from 45 m.

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, UVa set a record for

It's so bad that I actually don't mind seeing VT do well (sisters went there) since I know UVa can't compete. Someone has to prop the ACC up.

When I was at school, we owned the Mack Brown-led UNC, too.

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

SOlution for Al Groh problem: Bring back Dick Bestwick!

Posted by: Ron16 | October 6, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see Lori Lindsey get the nod. Why in the world would the Freedom not protect her?

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

That should've said that UVA set a record for wins less than 3 pts...

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, there should be some sort of law against discussing ACC football. And not just on a soccer blog, but just in general. It's the shame of the Atlantic seaboard and should be left unspoken.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 6, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

My thought is I'm shunning DC United.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Just gave my Columbus tickets to my daughter and her friends. I am now going to a dinner function I originally had turned down so that I could attend the Columbus game.

Posted by: croftonpost | October 6, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Kev29, I'm told the Big East still plays football. Aren't we all looking forward to Cincinnati or USF in a BCS game?

Posted by: sitruc | October 6, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I saw martin palermos goal.... is that the farthest goal scored off a header?? at 35 he is still playing Incredibly well! I'd love to see him finish out his career here in MLS, as i think he can score just as much if not more than Brian Mcbride.

And Goff are you hinting that Donadoni could be another candidate to coach the Red Bulls? :p

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | October 6, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | October 6, 2009 11:27 AM

Ugh - college basketball starts in three weeks. Thank God.

Oh and by the way (this pains me to say as a Xavier grad), Cincinnati aren't too bad this year. Not only can they get to a BCS game - they might have an outside shot at the title game if they can slip by USF in Tampa.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 6, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Since we seem to be taling a little college pointyball here today, I can offer a little added perspective -- namely, that Virginia MAY be able to scrape together a win against IU this weekend. IU did not look particularly good against Ohio State last weekend, and that was at Bloomington.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 6, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

On thing is for sure, the US, as it stands, is for sure, at least, going to be playing the play-offs with a Southamerican team (Ecuador I believe, Uruguay will not qualify, Argentina will qualify fourth). Even if loosing 9-0 against Honduras, and loosing 0-9 to Costa Rica, the US will play the play-off game.

Posted by: WillyJoel | October 6, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Three weeks before Midnight Madness? Sweet!

Of course, that means we have to share Goffinho with George Mason, American, GW, etc... Let's hope Steve's bosses don't have him starting up a local college hoops blog.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 6, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

No Lucky Bar yet? Come on!

Posted by: alan19 | October 6, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Summers is charging a $20 cover charge.

Posted by: alan19 | October 6, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Three weeks before Midnight Madness? Sweet!

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 6, 2009 2:41 PM

Actually, we're even closer to that. Just over three weeks till exhibition then real games begin.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 6, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

No Lucky Bar yet? Come on!

Posted by: alan19 | October 6, 2009 3:04 PM

I seriously doubt they want to go through the hassle late on a Saturday night.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 6, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

What, are we ALL going to Fado? Quite a jam-up!

Posted by: sbuck | October 6, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse