Tuesday Kickaround

*Ticket sales for the USA-Costa Rica qualifier at RFK Stadium on Wednesday night have surpassed 21,000.

*The announcing teams for Wednesday's ESPN2 doubleheader:
At RFK (USA-CR, 8 p.m.), Adrian Healey and John Harkes.
At Salt Lake (RSL-NY, 10:30), JP Dellacamera and Kyle Martino.

*In his first start for Belenenses in Portugal, Freddy Adu played the first half of a 1-0 home loss to Nacional. On Twitter, he wrote: "Picked up an ankle injury before half. should be ok in a couple days. im a quick healer."

*The full story on Santino Quaranta's season-ending injury.

*Soccer on TV:
U-20 World Cup semifinal, Ghana-Hungary 10:45 a.m. ESPN2
U-20 World Cup semifinal, Brazil-Costa Rica 2 p.m. ESPN, Galavision

*Local college showdown: No. 6 Maryland at No. 16 Georgetown
Kickoff: 3 p.m., North Kehoe Field.
All-Time Series: Maryland is 27-0-0 vs. Hoyas.

By Steve Goff  |  October 13, 2009; 3:05 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , College Soccer , D.C. United , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quaranta Out for Season
Next: Poll: CONCACAF Finale

Comments

Ankle injury ;)

Posted by: sire1 | October 13, 2009 3:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm headed northward! See you guys in 11 or 12!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 13, 2009 4:10 AM | Report abuse

Rather sad that our leader in assists only has 6.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | October 13, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

From The Daily Mirror via the BBC:

Former Ipswich and England striker Paul Mariner is set to join old club Plymouth as technical director after being given permission by Major League Soccer side New England Revolution to discuss personal terms.

Posted by: addick | October 13, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Adrian Healey becoming the voice of the USMNT? Hmmm...

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 13, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: o35_still_kicking | October 13, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know if the US training sessions are open to the public?

Posted by: o35_still_kicking | October 13, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Anyone see how Freddy did with his half? Obviously he didn't score. But did he do anything worth talking about?

Posted by: Matte | October 13, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Matte, I've read that he was so-so, and that he picked up the injury around minute 35 when he pulled a nice move and someone slid into him.

Posted by: Reignking | October 13, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

SG: I'm getting very concerned about Bryan Namoff - do we have another Josh Gros situation here?

Posted by: b18bolo | October 13, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I think our players deserve more than a low 20k crowd on Wednesday. I think RFK has officially lost it's drawing power (not a surprise to those who go there regularly).

Posted by: Kev29 | October 13, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: b18bolo | October 13, 2009 9:34 AM

I think the club is doing their best to prevent another Josh Gros situation. From what I hear, Namoff is feeling better, but still has some symptoms from the concussion. Why risk him?

Posted by: Kev29 | October 13, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

It's not so much "RFK" that this issue here.

It is a Wednesday night game for a US team that has already qualified. Anything in the 20-25K range should be deemed reasonable and acceptable. (If, hypothetically, United had a new stadium it would likely only hold that many anyway -- were US Soccer to select that stadium for this type of qualifying match.)

Posted by: tab5g1 | October 13, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Freddy Adu is slipping away...Too bad. I personally think he could be a difference maker on the USMNT if he was given the chance to be that attacking playmaker. He is easily our most creative player! I am sure he will be very disappointed that he cannot be in South Africa, especially as an American naturalized from Africa.

Posted by: alan19 | October 13, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

tab - funny side note on the 'already qualified' point. The ads running on cable still claim that this is the most crucial match of the campaign for the US - don't think they'll stop running the same promo spot now that we've made it to South Africa.

I still think that in this town (where we can get up to 30k for MLS matches) a better crowd should come out. I'm kind of sick of weeknight excuses, fans of traditional American sports pack stadiums on weeknights all the time. Also (as usual) tickets are waaaay too expensive.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 13, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

@o35_still_kicking,

I was by the practice field yesterday afternoon, and a DCU staffer told me they're closed.

Not sure what time they actually practiced. I stopped around 2:30 and drove by an hour or so later on my way back into town--no one out there at either time.

Posted by: benonthehill | October 13, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya.

Posted by: Reignking | October 13, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Oh god! The dog wet on the picnic basket!

Posted by: DadRyan | October 13, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I think ticket prices for Wednesday night are the big deal. We had to take some cash out of the food money to get ours -- just too much money for a family, especially.
We'll see you there!