United Rewind

It wasn't just the fact that D.C. United lost. It was the way it lost. No creativity, no improvisation, no chemistry, not enough heart. Yes, United is still very much in the playoff race, but there are few reasons to believe this team will earn another point this season. The players looked defeated midway through the second half. At home. Against a team that had scored all of seven goals on the road this season.

DCU already fell short in trying to defend the Open Cup title. It's probably going to need to win in Mexico to advance in the Champions League. And two victories seem mandatory to have a chance at MLS postseason. Grim.

Jaime Moreno, on DCU's recent problems at home: "It's not what it used to be. They don't respect us at home anymore and you earn the respect. Unfortunately, we lost that and you do that with results and playing your best."

Tom Soehn, on Gomez's removal before halftime: "Christian was forced to have to play with his back to the goal a lot and they were surrounding him. Jaime is more capable of doing that and interjecting some life. We were looking to add some possession at that point."

Soehn, on the supporters' reaction: "Listen, we're all disappointed. I thought the fans were amazing tonight. I will always say this is the best fan base in the league. They put on quite a show. Unfortunately, we didn't put on a show for them."

Ben Olsen: "They took advantage of us, some of our shortcomings, and obviously after I'm out, the game changes. Frankly, I thought [DCU was] better without me."

Read my match report with additional quotes.

Watch the video highlights.

PLAYER RATINGS
Kocic 5; Vaughn 4, Jakovic 5, James 4, Burch 3; Khumalo 4, Simms 4, Olsen 3, Quaranta 4; Gomez 4, Pontius 4. Subs: Moreno 4, Fred 3, Emilio 3.

By Steve Goff  |  October 4, 2009; 12:34 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight #28: United-Chivas USA
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

Sounds like Benny's thinking about retirement.

Posted by: spikeman | October 4, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

same excuse used most of the year...

Its looks grim? how about "in dire need"

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 4, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

(Repost)
Terrible game from everyone top to bottom. Quaranta, Moreno, Olsen, Kocic, Jakovic, Emilio, Pontius, etc all had an AWFUL effortless performance. Throughout the game I saw players frequently walking with their heads down in frustration--THIS HAS BEEN THE STORY OF THE YEAR!

As many have posted, Gomez's sub was ridiculous.

For all the adamant nay-sayers NOW is the appropriate time to say DC's playoff hopes are over. This was unexpected because we have the talent individually but not as a collective unit. This problem stems from the coach. If we fire Soehn now, can there be any benefit?

Posted by: redskinsux | October 4, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Well,even though others have said it, it bears repeating--why didn't Soehn just piss on Gomez? Pulling him with two minutes left in the half? What possible point could there be to that except to humiliate him?

So Soehn should just pack and leave, but it won't solve our defensive problems. We are one of the worst teams in MLS in terms of giving up goals, and there's no way we succeed like that. Arena has rebuilt LA with a strong defense, and that's what our next coach should focus on.

Posted by: macheath | October 4, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

I feel like with all the league failures over the last 2 years and the continuing stadium situation that business decisions need to be made. Breaks my heart but potentially no playoffs again and not an iota of a credible move to a real fan friendly stadium is really foreboding. A move would not surprise me in the least. As PO'd as the fans were about the Seattle GM....he's right...they are better and have a huge passionate fan base. We have a somewhat moderates passionate fan base. Time will tell if Seattle maintains that...but the word is out with expansion...this is a business...DCU needs serious and substantial changes to maintain past excellence.

Posted by: jbfromfc | October 4, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

I bet the USSF will review the match and give their use-less opinion about the ref.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 4, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

A couple of random thoughts based on tonight's performance:

-- Soehn has to go!!!
-- Moreno needs to retire, or accept a very minor reserve role
-- Emilio needs to be traded or released
-- Something needs to be done about bringing in some competent defenders. It used to be a strong suit for DC...Pope, Nelsen, etc.
-- Quaranta and Pontius (at times) looked like the only players that wanted to be out there for 90 minutes.

Posted by: Drick | October 4, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Bad game overall, and I can't help but wonder if all the fans chanting "Fire Soehn" took some life out of United.

Now, having said that...

Fire Soehn!

Posted by: BarraPuta | October 4, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse

jbfromfc...I completely agree. It's a business that was posses by DCU in the early days when DC United was respected. Now, it's different story a club that had it all now can't seem to find the glory. If it's anything DCU is giving MLS a reason to relocate them. Everything is wrong in DC. Starting with ownership, the coach, the staff(In General) down to the players. DC need to change this fast if not... St. Louis it is.

Posted by: rigs88 | October 4, 2009 2:12 AM | Report abuse

It looked like this was going to be a long night within the first 5 minutes. Defending that was a step too slow, poor decisions with the ball, and a lack of quality movement were all evident from kickoff onward. Frankly, the only reason Chivas didn't absolutely demolish us is that Preki plays hyperdefensive soccer on the road. A more attacking team hits us for 4 or 5 and barely breaks a sweat.

I have rarely been more disgusted with a United effort as I am tonight. 2005 against Chicago and maybe the latter half of the 2002 season might stand in with this one, but that's it. To have the crowd we had tonight and not even manage to put up a fight is going to keep me up tonight. I mean, Chivas came out looking for a draw; if we had simply matched them in terms of desire, we could have ended up with a sloppy 0-0 draw. We'd have been upset, obviously, but we'd be upset at execution and technique. That's not nearly as irritating as seeing a team that needed to step up come out and basically offer a 90 minute long shrug. Tonight was simply unacceptable.

MLSnet had a comment from Kljestan in the match preview in which he essentially said that we shouldn't offer them much of a problem if they just played well. Turns out, they didn't even have to play that well; having seen Chivas a bunch of times, I'd give them a C+ or possibly a B-. How sad is it that an MLS team, offering up a mediocre effort on the road, can win with ease at RFK? We were all quick to downplay the 5-1 win over Jabloteh; if I were Preki, I'd be quick to downplay this win as anything other than doing our job against an opponent that didn't show up on the night. That's where things are right now: a win in our house isn't even a big deal.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 4, 2009 2:21 AM | Report abuse

I think Soehn's lost the team. Can't see how he would be invited back to be manager next season, regardless of how the rest of it turns out.

Posted by: Juan-John | October 4, 2009 2:47 AM | Report abuse

"I have rarely been more disgusted with a United effort as I am tonight." --CR

Well said.

Posted by: redskinsux | October 4, 2009 3:47 AM | Report abuse

I understand everyone's sentiment about Ben. However, in my opinion there may still be something the old guard (Ben, Jaime, etc) can rally around one last time. Given their wonderful careers, wouldn't it be perfect for them to go down to Mexico and become the first side to walk out with a "W". Realistic no, but it would be a Hollywood like send off for a terrific group of pros that have very little left in the tank. Start eating your Wheaties boys and win one for the Gipper!

Posted by: croftonpost | October 4, 2009 4:17 AM | Report abuse

If we band together, maybe we can get Leonsis to buy the team and make Bodreau the coach.

Then, all we need is for Ovechkin to lace up some cleats and we'll at least show a lot more heart on the field.

Posted by: BarraPuta | October 4, 2009 4:23 AM | Report abuse

From Seattle so I caught the game via direct kick....the chivas telecast.

The color guy (I think he's an ex-mls player....sounded knowledgeable actually ...not like the FSC guys) was all over soehn for the 42 min sub...said DC looked lost..confused..a team without a plan...a team that didn't understand what their tactics were...lifeless...etc.

He wasnt being a jerk...the commentary was pretty subtle...he sounded really surprised at DC's performance...almost disappointed.

He commented that from the moment he saw the starting lineup....he questioned what was going on.

Soehn should have been fired at mid-season.

At what point do we start pointing fingers at the GM and president for this disaster?

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | October 4, 2009 4:27 AM | Report abuse

All the talk on the pervious thread about people questioning whether or not they'd renew their season tickets leaves me surprisingly happy that I've been in europe since mid-late august. Over the summer I so annoyed with the way we were playing that I almost didn't want to see any more games. Since being here I've only been able to see 2, and because I haven't gotten to watch the team crumble week after week, when I go home I'll still actually want to see DCU play next year. What a sad day that it comes to that.

Posted by: TassieTiger | October 4, 2009 5:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | October 4, 2009 4:27 AM | Report abuse

They are every bit as much to blame if not more. For those of you giving them a free pass, start pointing right now.

Posted by: croftonpost | October 4, 2009 5:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BarraPuta | October 4, 2009 4:23 AM | Report abuse

Amen. However, I would settle for Leonsis only. Not bad mouthing Chang, who I believe will be a good owner for DCU. Leonsis is just on another level. He is every fan's dream with respect to the ownership. Every DC team would benefit with him at the top especially the obvious.

By the way, how good do the Caps look so far. WOW! It may be a very special year.

Posted by: croftonpost | October 4, 2009 6:09 AM | Report abuse

I know that everyone thinks I'm a crazy Sounders supporter, and just come here to cause problems.

However......A few logical points that might actually be valid....

1. D.C. United may have had a major moral letdown after losing the Open Cup.

2. The fans in D.C. are growing weary of the stadium issue, and possible relocation (which may come quickly, if progress is not made).

3. The management of United, and the coaches are making poor decisions, and changes need to be made.

You do have a rich history, and have won many trophies. It might be time to hold off on the "We Win Trophies" campaign for awhile however.

By the way.........did anyone here ever consider that my previous posts were possibly a way to inject some passion and life into MLS? Nothing like starting a fight to get people involved.

Here's your link..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H23649UVNuw

Could have been the nail in the coffin this year for you guys. Despite my previous posts, I truly hope your team with its rich tradition, can resolve the stadium issue. Good luck, except against us.

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | October 4, 2009 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Two years ago I was taking heat for saying that Soehn should have been canned. I am sad to say I was right. The man cannot coach. He clearly did not know what to do last night, especially with that sub before the half. Peter Nowak can take him to Philadelphia if he likes.

To me it starts with the garbage that we have had in goal for the last few years (and that included Perkins). You would think that a manager who knows how leaky his defense is would do better than an LA Galaxy reject as your starting keeper?

Ben Olsen has been a liability for a good part of last year, and almost all of this year. He should retire.

Emilio has lost his touch, but I would suppose you give our DP one more year to see if he can find it again.

Christian Gomez is a bench player now. He is exactly what we thought he was, a former "MVP" that has lost a step who we got on the cheap. He might have been a product of our system in his good years, but that guy from a few years ago is long gone.

Our Africans did absolutely nothing this year. A waste of roster space.

Quaranta regressed after his call up for the Gold Cup. His play last night had me pondering some evil thoughts. He looked like that player who was conning us all a few years ago. I hope he is not back on the smack.

Pontius and Wallace = to be decided.

Burch does what he normally does, which is make a boneheaded defensive lapse that usually costs us. He stinks like dead fish. Only McTavish and Janciki are worse.

And Clyde Simms is absolutely awful to watch. You would think he would work on some of his possession skills. He has no touch what so ever.

In the end, if Soehn is back, I wont be renewing my ticket package.

Posted by: alan19 | October 4, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

oh yeah, as far as the upper management, where they really f***ed up was not bringing back Papa Bruce Arena when we had the chance. That will haunt us for years to come. That is a tangible non-move that we can track in the future.

Posted by: alan19 | October 4, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Fire Coach. Jaime is right. No one plays together two games in a row. That is Coach searching for the perfect side. He has good guys who evidently pissed him off so the team suffers. When you play two holding midfielders and no attacking midfielder what do you expect. Clyde and Benny neither pass to the front. Tino needs to be benched. He does nothing. I would try out the backup goalie. I don't think Coach will ever have a perfect side, someone or something will always be wrong. If you look at it, we have had three years of this same attitude. Maybe it will be perfect with new players, because Coach wore out or traded all ours. It doesn't even matter when we win, next game whole new crew out there. Benny needs to hang his cleats up also. It is turning into the "Benny Show." We started last game without Fred, Jaime, Luciano sitting. Coach must get his cue from Bara Brava who to put in. Logic tells you that when every game has different players no matter whether you win or lose, that you have no chemistry. Thanks Coach.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | October 4, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Was there any booing heard?

Posted by: tphasbdp | October 4, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

It's evident that the coach has lost the locker room as evidenced by Jaime's post-game quote:

Soehn is the problem. He is a mediocre coach who took a potential championship team with two potential rookies of the year and turned it into a heartless team waiting for the clock to run out. The team does not want to perform well nor is it given the opportunity to do so.

I'd get rid of Burch and Fred, platoon Moreno and Gomez as A-mids. Keep Emilio unless you have a definite improvement available. We have enough mids and defenders who have quality to build on. We need a speedy forward to work off Emilio.

Mids: Pontius, Wallace, Simms, Szetela, Jacobson

Defense: Vaughn, Namoff, Jakovic, James, McTavish, Haraburga.

Kocic did OK, worthy of more time.

Richie Williams for coach, Olsen as assistant.

This is frustrating and sad to watch the slow-motion implosion.

Posted by: RRP1 | October 4, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

@AlbinoSounder - your comments are still inflammatory so butt out. This is a family discussion.

I've been saying all season that you can't keep tinkering with the line-up. Find your starting 11 and only change it when you have to, not because you feel like it or someone torqued you off a little at practice. It's obvious that you have to kiss Soehn's a$$ to get playing time. He's always quick to comment that the guys need to keep their head in the game and not get emotional. Same goes for him. Keep the emotions out of it when you choose the line-up. Put out the guys that can get the job done and stop moving people around.

Posted by: spata2 | October 4, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I am going to start a new site "firesoehn.org". Go there to sign petitions to DCU management in order to fire Soehn ASAP.

Posted by: fedster | October 4, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

This team is a disgrace and an embarrassment. Does the owner expect people to pay money and take their time to watch a team that exhibits no skill, no zest, no teamwork, no "beautiful game"? Watching a DC game has become frustrating and depressing. The current management has allowed the team to deteriorate to this point. It's time to clean house from the top down.

Posted by: Shortpump | October 4, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Does not renewing season tickets send a message or does it drive the team away from DC? Last year, in protest of the abysmal conditions at RFK, I dragged my feet and didn't renew till January. Not sure that made any difference to anyone. My rep did know that was why I was waffling on renewing, but I don't know if he told anyone.

Which reminds me, I was talking to a rep at the stadium a month or so ago, and he/she had some pretty unkind things to say about the way the team is managed and also about the way the staff are treated. (This wasn't my regular rep, so he/she had nothing to sell me.) I wonder if the staff gets beaten up for passing along customer complaints...

Posted by: ldmay | October 4, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why you would want to hang onto Vaughn. He has been terrible. He is always out of position. He gets too far advanced and then has no urgency to recover his position. Tino kept having to cover for him! Burch was doing the exact same thing.

How many of these guys have guaranteed contracts for next year? Obviously finding guys who will play in MLS is not easy, especially if you need to find 10+ players all at once. But it is time to blow it all up and start over.

Posted by: fedssocr | October 4, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

"still very much in the playoff chase" Goff? Huh? Mathematically possible but it is over. No way.

Not the way I wanted to see Ben Olsen end his career at RFK - maybe this will convince him to keep going next year. But really he looks done at this level. Ditto for Moreno. Two wonderful players it has been a privilege to watch, rare in any league to see club careers like these, but footie is a cruel game and they look finished.

I've been going to RFK since the start in 96 and this was the first game I ever left early. Heartbreaking. Performance was dreadful in what was should have been a pivotal game in the season.

Massive changes in the off-season are inevitable. This team has no inspiration or leadership. No sense of even a significant core of players that should return. Attendances could well continue to decline if anything like this continues. Sadly I think relocation may be on the horizon. Last night was a total bummer.

Posted by: oz4dcu | October 4, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

disgraceful sums it up.

burch sucks - no skills. responsible for about half our goals given up this year.

olsen needs to retire. hot head with few skills

rest of team pathetic

soehn the door

Posted by: castroviejo | October 4, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Was there booing heard? Yes, after Emilio missed, for one thing; and on the quiet side we could clearly hear "Fire Soehn" from the loud side.

I remember once last season when Olsen was taken down, and managed to hook the other guy and take him right down with him; fun to watch, but eventually that catches up to you. It's also getting old watching Olsen give guys bear-hugs to stop them.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 4, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Tough to watch last night. od-googly-moogly there is not much possitive to say.

Broken record but 2 games in a row making a substitution 3 mins before the half...what the f-word?

The wheels have COMPLETELY fallen off the wagon. Senor Class sums it up "...we haven't played two games in a row with the same team [lineup] -- it's very simple."

It's not what he said that is striking but the fact that he publicly attacks the coach.

That being said we still have a chance to go to the playoffs and to advance in the Champs league. We have the tools we have, rusty as they might be but must push on.

United til I die!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 4, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

An extra quote from Goff's print edition story:

"It's unfortunate you hear fans screaming for the coach because we are the guys out there," midfielder Santino Quaranta said. "We didn't do the right things. That's not Tommy. We just weren't good enough."

---------

Tino, we could be chanting about individual players, but it is better to focus the chant on the one guy who makes the decisions about which players are on the field and at least participates in the decisions about which players should be selected to be AVAILABLE to be on the field. So, once Soehn goes, yes there are going to be some hard and painful decisions to be made. And does the axe go higher than Soehn? Yes, perhaps. There are some hard decisions to be made.

But the coaching staff knows what is about to happen. Apparently, the coach's wife lost it out in Lot 8 and got out of her car last night to first verbally, then physically, attack the guy who had the "Fire Soehn" Tshirts. She justified her actions by saying that he was being "inflammatory."

As for me, of course I'll be renewing my season seats, which, as my pseudonym implies, I have had since the first year. I've held them through the good years and the bad. It's my team, for better or for worse. I wouldn't think about dropping them, however bad the management decisions may be.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | October 4, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I am going to renew my tickets. I'm even going to do it by the early deadline.

HOWEVER

This should serve as a vote of no confidence in the Manager and as much as some of our veterans have lived for the Club, there really needs to be a change of direction. We're not finding the talent. We found a pretty good rookie class this year in Pontius, Wallace, Kocic and Barklage before he blew out his knee - but our international scouting has really suffered and Tommy is not DEVELOPING players or any sort of identity or style.

Sure, rotate players when they're tired, but a team that was scrapping out wins and draws at the beginning of the year fell off the truck during the Summer of Soccer. I'll accept a team that struggles for results next year as long as it's attractive and looks like it's building something. Right now, we're spinning our tires in the mud. The Routan is getting stuck trying to leave Lot 8.

Why not go get John Spencer before Chicago takes another crack at him. Why not get Ritchie Williams out of the swamp. I know Tommy was Piotr's right hand man, but he's not the right man for the club anymore. I thank him and his family for their service to DC United, but it's time to change directions. I can live without a new stadium as long as RFK is a fortress for results domestically and internationally and the last two years have seen that fortress crumble literally and figuratively.

We are not as bad as we were when we hit bottom in the early part of the decade when we broke up some of the old guard, but sometimes you have to tear it apart to build it up again and right now, This Old House needs more than just some paint and landscaping, the bones need some work.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 4, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

/\
Amen, VirginiaBlueBlood. Though if Jaime and Bennie could accept major pay cuts, I would love to have them back for another season. Watching Olsen can still be fun, even though his skillset far exceeds his physical abilities at this point. Not so much for Emilio, Gomez, or Fred.

Posted by: hoyanick1 | October 4, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I will enjoy Curious99's countdown to the new season.

I will look forward to it with optimism.

There will be player decisions I'm down with and others I won't be.

There is one thing that needs to be certain, Tommy Soehn needs to not be the coach by Thanksgiving. Maybe the same goes for Kasper and others in the FO.

That pretty much somes my feeling up.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 4, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

i'm surprised people see something in kocic that makes them think he could be a starter next year.

the only quality keeper dc had this year was crayton, and his eccentrics only became a problem when management turned on him. i don't think he ever did anything that warranted losing the starting job.

Posted by: joe_hill | October 4, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I think you could give Wicks half a season more, with Hamid as his backup, and then try to grab Hannehman.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 4, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Crayton was decent and sorely needed when we got him but we can find decent for less than he was making.

Wicks has been great this year but he just doesn't seem very athletic. Gotta wonder about his anger issues.

Kocic seems worth keeping...can't tell yet.

Hanniman would be sweeeeet.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 4, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

""Moreno, on the lack of rhythm so late in the season: "The rhythm isn't there because we haven't played two games in a row with the same team [lineup] -- it's very simple."""

That's about right. 80% of the blame for that goes to Soehn. 20% to injuries.

Fact is, the injuries were defensively oriented (minus Namoff, Jakovic, Burch for an extended stretch). Our new signings have done an admirable job, but obviously far from perfect. But given that they are basically a new lineup, I give them props.

Our offense, or lack thereof, has been the main issue. They can't friggin score!!

Other than Khumalo, no one up front has missed significant time this season so injuries aren't to blame.

The blame goes to Soehn for mixing things up so much that no one knows how to play together.

The players are at fault for playing 2/3rd speed until we're down a goal or two. I mean it's sad how few runs off the ball were made by anyone.

Posted by: delantero | October 4, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I still don't understand why so many on this board feel that if only we had some other coach that DCU would have torn up the league this year.

The root problem with this team is WE ARE TOO SLOW. We are, by far, the slowest team in the league. If Guus Hiddink had been our coach, MAYBE two of the ties would have been wins. Big deal.

Don't get me wrong I agree we need a new coach. But to say if Soehn had been replaced before the season we would have been the toast of the league just is plain wrong.

One other thing, Ben Olsen, *by his own admission*, is not ready to coach at this level. Ain't gonna happen, at least right now.

Posted by: Ron16 | October 4, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Olsen = MOTM. Best, most accurate strike of the night (season?).

I agree with most of the other posters on the thread. No need to add more.

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | October 4, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone on the board wants to make the playoffs first, and I don't think that is exactly toasting the league...

Posted by: Norteno4life | October 4, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

tactics are an issue too. for much of the game, a lofted ball to a lone pontius surrounded by chivas defenders. man was that frustrating to watch.

i'm still coming on the 17th. gotta get my live soccer while i can (with the occasional arduous journey to college park thrown in).

Posted by: troy6 | October 4, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

When you are too slow to get behind defenses, your tactics are pretty much limited to lofting hopeful balls toward the box. What else can you do? Play through I suppose is an option, and DCU tried that and failed miserably.

Posted by: Ron16 | October 4, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow - that was one of the most depressing efforts from DC I've ever seen. Someone mentioned Leonis as a owner (won't happen but it would be awesome for MLS and DC if it did) - Chang needs to do what Leonis did and start over. You can quibble over whether it's the coach, the GM (or whatever, the "technical director"), the players - but collectively we were slow, uninspiring and consistently made mental mistakes this year. Things gotta change.

Start over and rebuild for the long term - get a new coach who you can build a program around - from philosphy to scouting to training. Keep a few of the youngsters with speed who under a new system could flourish - like Santino, Pontius, Wallace and Khumalo. Everyone else should be on the block in favor of youth, talent and speed.

Also - while DC set the standard for the league in the beginning, there's no question Seattle has done an amazing job off the field (as well as one the field) this year. Instead of getting into a p1ssing match with them, Payne should be hiring some of their off-the-field people (or at least paying close attention to what's working for them).

Posted by: robb10 | October 4, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Kocic

Vaughn, Jakovic, James, John

Wallace, Simms, Pontius
Moreno or Gomez

Emilio, Tino

Posted by: delantero | October 4, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Everyone keeps calling for the coach and wanting to start a petition and everything, but there is a much bigger problem than that.

IT IS THE LEAGUE!

No team can play the amount of games put in front of them in the MLS and Open Cup and CL and compete with ONLY 24 players!

In Europe they have almost twice as many players as that! You have to have more players.

That being said, our crop of players are aging and can't carry the team. Pontius and Rodney are the only new players we've had in a few years to produce. Burch is terrible, thats what happens when you put a forward at defense, he makes stupid moves.

And for the fans - Jamie Moreno, Fire Soehn chants?

WE CANT DEPEND ON A 34YR OLD TO SAVE OUR SEASON.

But Soehn has had his chance and it probably is, and should over after this season.

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | October 4, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbfromfc | October 4, 2009 12:59 AM
----------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: rigs88 | October 4, 2009 2:12 AM
-----------------------------------------------------

I know everyone is piling on Tommy, but can I point out what I think is just a ridiculous, boneheaded comment string? Over 24,000 people turned out last night. How many MLS teams ever draw a crowd that size, especially when Beckham isn't in one of the lineups? Given some of the really low turnouts this year, I might have been inclined to question whether the fan support is till here. After last night, there should not be any doubt. St. Louis? Don't make me laugh.

As for the piling on Tommy -- it's deserved. Moreno is right -- there was no way for this team to develop chemistry with the endless "tinkering". Tommy was flailing for answers at the end. To say "Tommy must go" is redundant. There is no question that he will be cut loose, because someone has to take the fall. The real question is what to do about the others in the front office who share responsibility for not coming up with better talent?

As for Leonsis -- I believe I was the first to raise this prospect after I heard him at the "Kicking It" premiere. Our ownership situation has changed since then. I'm delighted the team has real fan as an owner -- and really nice guy to boot, in Will Chang. The thing is, Ted Leonsis would also provide those qualities, even it he might not grab a drum. Plus, he has much more money -- enough to finance the stadium, if he wanted. Finally, he's local. It's Will Chang's team, and I don't begrudge him that -- but, if Leonsis did enter the picture, I think it would be the best thing that could happen for this franchise.

Posted by: fischy | October 4, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Ooops -- I mean "still there"...

Posted by: fischy | October 4, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Finally, I am working on a project for another newspaper, so I broach the idea with some trepidation -- but, I still think it might be interesting and productive to to get your input. If you have any suggestions for inclusion on a list of the best players never to play in the World Cup Finals tournament, please send your ideas to thelonefisch@aol.com

I think I have a handle on the obvious ones, and am looking for some unlikely candidates -- but, it would be interesting to get others' perspectives.

Posted by: fischy | October 4, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I heard there were 24K because the game was sold as a package with the world cup qualifier.

I love the post about now being the time to START calling for the GM's head. Hello? Chang's note at the beginning of the season made clear that they are under the magnifying glass already. If this year wasn't the last straw for them I don't know what could possibly put the owners further over the top.

We had leadership who knew perfectly well the deteriorating speed of our geriatric quintuplets - Ben, Emilio, Jaime, Christian and Fred - and yet their inability to size up competition in the league, their bullheaded inability to face change, is coupled with a freakish belief that they were the reason for the trophies of the teams gone by.

And what makes anyone think Bruce Arena would have wanted to be reunited with them? I'm sure he was only too happy to leave when he had the chance to go to the USMNT.

The fish rots from the head down.

Posted by: dsheon1 | October 4, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlbinoSounder | October 4, 2009 6:24 AM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------

I laugh at thePasteyFilot-o-fish fan. Do you even think you cause a problem? Thats non-sense dude. You merely shed light on the jealousy & envy that Seattle has on us. Thats all.
We dont get mad, we just laugh! Until you have 12 championships. Try to stack'em up high enough to talk to us. Until then good luck on your second year cause I heard it goes down from there. Dont worry about analyzing us, we dont need your input.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | October 4, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Looks like I picked a perfect time to goon vacation in paradise.
Missed the match online as I was at a beautiful Hawaiian wedding.
Oh well.

Can't wait for Soehn to be gone.
Vamos United!
Aloha.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 4, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm driving this Fire Soehn Bandwagon as fast as I can now. Pedal to the metal.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

gooner vacation...
any sports bars on Oahu on the list to show the US/Honduras match next weekend?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 4, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Adu played today (and played well in 25 minutes at Sporting in a 0-0 draw)!

Posted by: Reignking | October 4, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steve,

With a cold winter looming, has there been any discussion of what to do with Emilio's DP contract? Is he guaranteed for next year?

One time target Stephen Appiah is still available. Could United pursue and make him the new DP?

Posted by: DonDraper | October 4, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Poop. The train is on cruise control, we don't need to put the pedal to the metal. It really doesn't do any good to keep yelling that the train is on cruise control...everybody knows.

While the season is still going let's just continue to hope the train takes us someplace nice.

At this point the train still has the possibility (Longshot I admit) of taking us to the MLS Cup and knockout stage of the Champs League.

When the season is over I'll help pull the horn but lets wait for the train to stop.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 4, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16
---------------------
actually, I was kind of hoping at least one other person would join Pontius in the final third. even if he got the ball in the crowd, what was he supposed to do with it with no teammates within 40 yards and four defenders to beat?

Posted by: troy6 | October 4, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

It is a well-established concept in sports that you can't fire the whole team of players when results go badly, and more often than not the coach or manager and his staff pay the price with their jobs. This practice may not be fair, but it is not unreasonable and usually the path of least resistance to getting things back on track.

However, DCU's situation goes a little deepeer than you typically see with poorly performing teams. The player personnel decisions are a substantial factor in the record of the team for the last two years. As such, no intelligent conversation of the changes needed to make this team what it should be can be held without making an issue of the performance of the GM. These are not just Soehn's players; they are Soehn's and Kasper's players. This team and the results of it for the last two years are Kasper's and Soehn's. You can't single Soehn out for this debacle; Kasper has to go as well.

Posted by: lgm6986 | October 4, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone hear about an incident in the parking lot about someone from DC busting people for having "Fire Soehn" t-shirts?

Posted by: mightymax | October 4, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Glad I was working and unable to watch what appears to have been a horrible match.

I've been saying it since last season, but Tommy needs to go.

Now.

Not at the end of the year...

NOW!

Let the first Barra member to pass a field sobriety test handle the lineup and subs during the match, and let Benny, Namoff and Jaime run the practices.

---------------Kocic----------------
Vaughn---Jakovic--James---Habarugira
McTavish---Olsen--Szetela---Wallace
------------Tino---Pontius----------

Posted by: alecw81 | October 4, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

WOW - how bad was DCU last night. I've been supporting united since 96 and have never left a match early, but last night I came pretty close. That was a disgusting performance. Benny & Jaime, thank u for your service for DCU but it's time.

Posted by: uknowmeas-GQ | October 4, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I will definitely renew my season ticket plan. True fans support their team in good times and in bad. For pete sakes, I attended an Orioles game and a Redskins game this weekend. Obviously, changes must be made but we must continue to support United because that is what fans do. Vamos United!

Posted by: croftonpost | October 5, 2009 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Wow, that was just horrible. I mean, HORRIBLE. It was a tragic performance for DC. I know that there have been many people, for a while now, that have been calling for Soehn's removal. Saturday's game really caused me to jump on the bandwagon, fully.

Jamie's right, which is what I've been thinking all season now. Soehn's constant tinkering with the roster is absolutely attrocious. Where in the hell did this guy get his coaching lessons from?

He has lost the locker room like Glen Hanlon did with the Caps. A change needs to be made and it needs to be made sooner than later (read NOW). DC can still pull it off and make it to the play-offs, but damn, it aint happenin with Soehn at the reign.

Posted by: dogboy | October 5, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Cheer up DCU faithful...we're winning this mornings WAPO sports poll....D.C.'s Favorite Pro Sports Team!!!

Perhaps we make our case for new stadium and new coach louder!

Posted by: dayface | October 5, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm driving this Fire Soehn Bandwagon as fast as I can now. Pedal to the metal.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I've been hitch hiking on a lonesome highway for about 18 months now so can I get a ride when you get here?

Posted by: SoehntheExit | October 5, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse