USA-Honduras TV Update

Information is slowly trickling in about the broadcast of next weekend's USA-Honduras World Cup qualifier in San Pedro Sula.

As you know from reading the Insider, the match will be shown on closed circuit only. No standard TV coverage. No Spanish network options. No tape-delay broadcast on regular TV. Not even live radio. Nothing. We're back in the dark ages. (Of course, you could always try to find the pirated feed on your handy Internet machine.)

To watch the game, which begins at 10 p.m. ET next Saturday, you'll have to find a bar or restaurant that has purchased the distribution package. The distributor has set up a Web site and promised a list of locations by tonight.

From what I've heard, the cost per person will start at $15 but vary depending on the establishment's expenses.

If there's a location near you, will you pay to watch?

By Steve Goff  |  October 1, 2009; 12:27 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: United's New Goalie, MLS Salaries

Comments

this might do OK on the West Coast, but can't imagine a large East Coast audience for it given the time slot.

Posted by: nairbsod | October 1, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

....and to answer your question: no, I wouldn't pay to watch.

Posted by: nairbsod | October 1, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

For me, I'm sure there won't be any local bars with the game on, so I'll just have to check ESPN News the next morning.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | October 1, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Its a four bar list right now!!!! Here is hoping this is a terrible disaster for Copa TV. I already know there won't be a bar here in Flagstaff, AZ that even considers getting this game.

I am back on the DC United band wagon. Sohen coach of the year?

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 1, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EdTheRed | October 1, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Danny Coyle's in San Francisco! I might go there. I really hope the Mad Dog in the Fog pick up the game. Its a much better soccer bar and its only a short walk from Danny Coyles

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | October 1, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Looking at that website gives me a headache.

Posted by: tab5g1 | October 1, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I challenge your viewpoint Mr. Goff, back in the dark ages or is it back to the future?

BPL, NFL, NBA, etc on a per game basis on the network controlled by the league rather than free? Over the air and cable television have made us all fat and happy, but is the business model of the future now that we're all addicted is a majority of games on a one-time rights bid? You can argue that bad games would always lose money, but what if those are the scraps bid out to broadcasters at the beginning of the season while higher profile matches fetch every disposable dollar out there?

Still a lame move by the Honduran FA.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 1, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"Handy Internet machine" is the best phrase I have heard all week. I am now going to refer to my computer as such.

Posted by: revsfanindc | October 1, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

So it's off to New York, Chicago, or California, then?

Posted by: mmathai1 | October 1, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm predicting little internet broadcast options as well. Those 'services' availability will be greatly compromised by the same lack of access.

Pay to view somewhere other than my living room?

I've missed games before, I'll miss them again. The dogs bark, but the caravan rolls on.

Posted by: JkR- | October 1, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a list of the bars and restaurants showing the game in Spanish.

Posted by: Honduran-Salvadoran-American-In-Texas | October 1, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Still a lame move by the Honduran FA.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood

"It's not the USSF's fault; the Honduran federation sold the U.S. rights (in both English and Spanish) to a media company, which, in turn, wasn't able to reach a deal with a TV outlet to carry it."

I won't bother with going out of my way to watch it.

Posted by: Reignking | October 1, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"So, during the next qualifier in 4 years, would the US have the opportunity to do the same thing to Honduras and sell their TV rights when the US hosts Honduras?"

"Yeah, next cycle, if we play Honduras, the US Fed should just not sell the rights."

Doesn't USSF have English and Spanish-language contracts for its (home) qualifiers already? Like through 2014?

Posted by: very_clever_username | October 1, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I will use my handy internet machine... and/or read the next edition of the Post. I definitely don't want to support this distribution model.

Posted by: cray | October 1, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | October 1, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Seems like the places on copatvonline.com will show the game in English, and the laces on circuitocerrado.tv will show the game in Spanish.

Posted by: Honduran-Salvadoran-American-In-Texas | October 1, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe I live in Washington, DC and might not be able to watch the game in English. Unbelievable.

Posted by: KireDCU | October 1, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Honduran-Salvadoran-American-In-Texas

Yep, that's the way I read it anyway.

Posted by: KireDCU | October 1, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

CACuzcatlan, I hear ya on Mad Dog being the better option. Danny Coyle's is a kind of a synthetic (computer-generated) Euro bar, for those that don't live here. Although they do represent soccer in a big way. I'm sure Mad Dog will pick it up, in the end.

CACuzcatlan, where are you? I'm on the 800 block of Haight.

Oh, I forgot the question. Yeah, I'd pay 15 bones.

Did someone say Haight? I'm not a big Dead fan, but I'm sure someone can roll some lyrics with that.

Posted by: EssEff | October 1, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@KireDCU -- I'll one up you.

If my cousin's wedding ends in time, and there's a bar near the hotel in Philly...then, yeah, I'd probably go...and drag my brothers, too. But...

So far, there isn't one location in the whole state of Pennsylvania -- in English or Spanish.

And, seriously, dude, It's a bar. You're probably not going to be able to hear the announcers half the time.

Posted by: fischy | October 1, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Everything about this situation is a complete and utter shambles. I'd laugh if it wasn't so serious.

And you set up a Flash site to get the word out about the 4 bars (at this moment) you've agreed with?

/web nerd

Posted by: Kev29 | October 1, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

No, I won't pay to go watch it at a bar. Well, maybe if I was planning on being at the bar anyway...

Posted by: gasdorian | October 1, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Still a lame move by the Honduran FA.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 1, 2009 12:56 PM

Well, they did what most FA's do in this situation. Sell the rights to a third party, who then (usually) distribute the rights to someone we're familiar with (ESPN, FSC, Univision, etc.). It's the vendor holding the rights hostage - not the Hondurans.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 1, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

EssEff, I'm in the middle of the Presidio

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | October 1, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

There will be a viewing party in New York City at the restaurant at MSG. Information is here: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1D00433EF3974A9E

Posted by: U2Jonathan | October 1, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I would love for just once to be able to get away with all the crap that happens south of the border. From throwing piss and batteries on opposing players DURING the game, to playing music outside of their hotel at all hours of the night the night before a qualifier. Dumping full beers on the laptops of their news reporters. Purchasing the broadcast rights to the game and holding it hostage at a price that they are unwilling or unable to pay.

Just once!

Posted by: SamDCU | October 1, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Last I heard there were concerns about possibly having to move the match because of the political situation in Honduras, is that still an issue? Are airports still shut down?

Posted by: joe_hill | October 1, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Throwing batteries at opposing players? I guess you've never sat in right-field stands in Yankee Stadium.... That stuff has never been only south of the border.

Posted by: fischy | October 1, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

restaurant at MSG?

That can't be healthy.

Posted by: Reignking | October 1, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SamDCU | October 1, 2009 1:39 PM

Again, for the sake of clarity, the Hondurans no longer own the rights. Mediapro, a company based in Spain with an office in Miami bought and hold the rights. They feel that they can make more money this way - as their asking price was not met by ESPN.

And the Mexico-US TV situation came about when an American company (NBC) held the English language rights and used them to pimp one of their niche cable channels (mun2). This is not a south of the border conspiracy, it's actually plain old capitalism.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 1, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Still a lame move by the Honduran FA.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 1, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I challenge yours VBB.

This is nothing new. In fact, this is exactly what led to the downfall of boxing. This is definitely not the future. It is a colossal mistake.

Posted by: croftonpost | October 1, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29,

I get that they're out to make money. Anyone would in this situation.

I still think it blows. And I think that, knowing that ESPN and others aren't going to overpay to show a game they will likely lose money on by airing.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 1, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Two Americans playing right now:

SV Salzburg 1 - 0 Villarreal

Posted by: Reignking | October 1, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

It blows BIG TIME, VBB. Totally agree. But it's also very complicated. Another big factor is college football season. ESPN definitely don't want to overpay for something they'll have to chuck on Classic that night.

In a way, we're victims of the better ratings that soccer's garnering lately - as that drives up the asking price.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 1, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The list is now five bars.

Posted by: sitruc | October 1, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I forgot the question. Yeah, I'd pay 15 bones.

Posted by: EssEff | October 1, 2009 1:17 PM
==========================

Rat cat alley roll them bones. Need that cash to feed that jones
And the politicians throwing stones
Singing ashes, ashes all fall down.
Commissars and pin-striped bosses role the dice
Any way they fall guess who gets to pay the price.
Money green or proletarian gray, selling guns instead of food today.
So the kids they dance, they shake their bones
While the politicians throwing stones
Singing ashes, ashes all fall down.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 1, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

This all comes down to how the Honduran federation acquires the rights to CONCACAF qualifiers held on its soil.

If CONCACAF is the original source of the broadcast rights to all qualifiers played everywhere within its federation, and then conveys those rights to its member federation (USSF, JFF, etc.) it can do so subject to certain terms and conditions. Among those terms and conditions could be requirement that the given federation MAY NOT SELL the broadcast rights to any broadcast entity that is not viewable by an audience at least greater than a closed-circuit network of restaurants. I think CONCACAF deserves the blame for this situation, not Coach Soehn, I mean, the Honduran federation.

Posted by: lgm6986 | October 1, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy |

I hear Philly places are in the works from someone who talked to ISM - though my source didn't mention what language.

Regarding the language, it's the principle not the practicality that bothers me. We’ve had an MLS team since '96 in a cosmopolitan city that’s supposedly a soccer hot bed and we don’t have one single bar definitely picking up the game in English less than two weeks before the game?! That’s sad.

I know there’s some new piece of technology most bars have to purchase in addition to the game itself but sheesh, I feel like I’ve woken up in East Pocatello, Idaho. No offense to anyone from there.

Posted by: KireDCU | October 1, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Anyone wanting to watch in Spanish in Baltimore, this is what you have to look forward to:

La Roca: a tiny corner liquor store, across the street from a bombed out lot, and a few blocks from the most dangerous area in East Baltimore. Used to drive past this on my way down to Patterson Park for league games last year. I love my city (and I was born three blocks from here), but I can't believe this place paid to carry the game. I can't imagine how they can fit very many people in there!

Posted by: davemcl | October 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Another thing to keep in mind - the match is scheduled for 10pm ET - prime time for successful bars (think Lucky Bar, Pour House). To show the match, they're either going to have to charge every patron at the door - or close off a section and charge people to watch the match in that designated area. Big pain in the a$$ at 10 on a Saturday night. Could affect their willingness to sign up.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I'll get my updates via Twitter, assuming the US has someone Twittering, which they usually do.
Def not paying to watch.

Posted by: ussccr | October 1, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I'll pay to watch.

I am confident that there will be DC locations, considering the presence of multiple supporters' groups and tried-and-true soccer bars such as Momo's. Goff said the expanded list comes out tonight.

Posted by: hoyanick1 | October 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Hells no. No hay manera.

And if I owned a bar in this area, no way would I do this. I wouldn't want my regular customers boycotting my place/going elsewhere on a Saturday night.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 1, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I will try to make it out to watch.

Posted by: yankiboy | October 1, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'll just watch MLS, College football, or the MLB playoffs. No way I pay for this.

Posted by: croftonpost | October 1, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Steve, I love your soccer coverage. But don't let USSF off the hook on this. With harder work they could have helped get a deal made, seems to me. COPA TV can't be likely to make more than a few thousand dollars. Think ESPN or FOX wouldn't have bought them out if there coulda been a deal put together? And the CONCACAF needs to change it's rules to allow each team to control half the rights. But USSF needed to make this happen for fans and failed.

Posted by: davidsbNC | October 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@croftonpost,

Oh, I know. Failure for sure. But someone will try to do it again. It's like Hockey in warm weather markets. It's like baseball in DC. NFL in Los Angeles. NASCAR not in the South East. Bi-Partisan DC.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | October 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm kind of curious where SUM have been in all this...?

Posted by: Kev29 | October 1, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

LOL at 5 bars showing it in English.

There is 0% chance I pay for this crap. I'll use my internet machine to find it. Someone in Honduras will hook us up.

Posted by: strago | October 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

..."the Honduran federation sold the U.S. rights..."

Seems like that's the problem right there.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 1, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

What do you think they paid for the rights? How many bars do you think they need to make a profit. If everyone boycotts this do you think the company could sell the rights at the last minutes to FOX or ESPN? (My hope)

Any yes, someone in Honduras will definitely hook us up. I am not not worried. I am just angry that I will have to watch the game via my laptop.

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 1, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: davidsbNC

I blame you for not stepping up and helping get a deal made.

Posted by: Reignking | October 1, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm kind of curious where SUM have been in all this...?

Posted by: Kev29 | October 1, 2009 2:39 PM
==================

Looking for all of its parts...

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

:-D

I can tell you two parts that the USSF are normally lacking...

Posted by: Kev29 | October 1, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

If they pay me, I'll watch it.

Posted by: fedster | October 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

joedoc, that doesn't add up.

Posted by: Reignking | October 1, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

That site is slow as molasses. Pretty sure I could have run a marathon in the time it's taken to load . . .

As of today you can only watch it in 5 bars nationwide 1 in NY, San Fran, San Diego, Chicago and Albany, NY? What a joke.

Posted by: delantero | October 1, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | October 1, 2009 3:26 PM
=====================

And at the Germantown Red Robin.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 1, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | October 1, 2009 3:26 PM
=====================

Again, you're looking at the wrong list. There are 2 bars in DC showing it. One in Baltimore, a few in PG County, more than half a dozen in Montgomery County, and 2 dozen places in Virginia, from Richmond to Falls Church and Arlington/Alexandria.

I'd be happy to go to any of those places, if I were in the area that weekend. I'm still waiting to see a Philly list.

Posted by: fischy | October 1, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I will not pay for this. I have enough channels I already pay for to get futbol on TV and that handy internet machine

Posted by: dfd6060 | October 1, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

nope, I won't pay to watch it. Hopefully, this is such a finacial travesty that we don't have to do this again.

Posted by: J_S_F | October 1, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh there will be a live internet feed, trust me, try this page www.rojadirecta.org, you'll find the feed.
You guys fail to understand that this "model" is geared towards the Honduran population in the US, trust me, I remember the times when they had the Southamerican qualifiers and Copa Libertadores in closed-circuit, they'd show two-three games and charge $20 and up, and the place would be rocking, filled to the brim with drunken fans. They are already promoting the game in Spanish radio and putting the ES/CR, MEX/T&T, and US/HON games together for $20 at the door. They don't care about American fans, they're catering to the Honduras fans, they would pay a leg and an arm to go to a restaurant/bar, get drunk, start fights and watch their team lose.

Posted by: WillyJoel | October 1, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I will not be going to CONFETIS DISCOTEQUE.

Posted by: Reignking | October 1, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I'd be happy to go to any of those places, if I were in the area that weekend.

Posted by: fischy | October 1, 2009 4:14 PM

Sure, I'm familar El Boqueron in Wheaton... you'd have a blast in your US shirt.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 1, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "disco"?!

"Do The Hustle!
(do the hustle...)

Do The Hustle!
(do the Hustle...)

Van McCoy and the Soul City Symphony, "The Hustle," circa 1975.

A favorite of Godfather_Of_Goals.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 1, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

A few years back several Barra types went to see the Mexico v US Olympic qualifier from Guadalajara at Las Vegas (the bar on Rt 1 in Alexandria not the gambling place in Nevada). That was one of the bars on the link posted by Irish-Tex-Mex guy from Houston.

There seem to be several options at bars in Northern Virginia. They may be mostly in Spanish but who's watching for the audio, anyway?

I'm certain I saw a US qualifier from Honduras at the Lucky Bar a few cycles ago (when Earnie Stewart and Mathis scored) but that might have been on a weeknight.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 1, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "disco"?!

...

Van McCoy and the Soul City Symphony, "The Hustle," circa 1975.

Posted by: joedoc1 | October 1, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

And a year later "Disco Duck" was a Number One hit. Music has never been the same (or as good) since. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 1, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I prefer paying $15 to see Hex Game 9 live where the U.S. has a chance to qualify than the situation in '01 when ABC pre-empted U.S.-Jamaica for the Iraq War (when the other networks with NFL coverage stayed with football), or in '97 when ESPN tape-delayed U.S.-Canada (though I was in Burnaby for that one). Of course this is less than ideal, and it's progress that we have come to expect all games live on almost-free TV, but in each of the last two WCQ cycles one road game has been PPV (Honduras during the Hex in '01, El Salvador during the semis in '04), and both times we won. If you are a U.S. fan, you find a way to watch this game, period.

Posted by: leftjab | October 1, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

It will be the Handy Internet Machine for me!

Posted by: mason08 | October 1, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

What do you expect from Honduras? I'm just going to pretentd I'm in the "way-back machine" and it's 1982!

Posted by: roadkit | October 1, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I'll be In Babylon Futbol Cafe. Who's coming with me!?

Although it'll be in Spanish, all you have to listen for is "Golazo" when Davies or Jozy puts it away from 10 yards.

You'd think being the most powerful country in the world would reap benefits, apparently not...

Posted by: adamsunited | October 1, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

If we pay for this match, we may never see a Nat's match on free TV again. Train them to see that this will not work.

They can kiss my F word-ing arsenal!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 1, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Any of those places in MD have big front windows? I'm all for going and standing out front and staring through the window to watch the game. With a big group, the more the merrier. No way I pay $15. I won't even go to a bar with a cover charge for a band. Let the bar pay the cost out of their own pocket and make it back in drinks and food. If we had a group of people standing on the sidewalk maybe we could convince the owner to let us in for free and then we run up a healthy tab. Or go to the bar and just drink water.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | October 1, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

echoing 9nine9 you can bet the Salvadoran and Guatemalan federations will be following the success/failure of this endeavor very closely.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | October 1, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Talk about a time in which I will have absolutely no reservations about watching a pirated version onthe web!

Too bad that one might not exist. There are plenty of illegally shown matches on the web for European matches. Far less for CONCACAF matches.

So, we'll find out whether we qualify for the World Cup this time by reading the morning paper. How quaint.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | October 1, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

@ fischy Don't train them to think we will pay for every US match!!!

@ adamsunited At $20 a pop we will pay $140 to watch USA win the World Cup.

@ leftjab The USSF will start PPV if you pay for this match.

@ yankiboy I wonder how much the Super Bowl will cost when you show them that they can make money this way?

@ EssEff What's next, Simpsons on PPV?

@ CACuzcatlan Don't encourage them.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 1, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

We may have a line in on a Detroit bar to pick up the match. But we need to be able to show them that they can bank on attendance. So please sign here if you're in metro Detroit and want to watch the match:

This isn't a petition or registration of any kind. Just a way to piece together a rough headcount.

Posted by: bcmc | October 2, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Check LoggTV.com there is a lot of latin programming and free TV channels

Posted by: TelexView | October 3, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

One word for this. Debacle. OK, one more. Absurd.

Posted by: ranndino | October 4, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse