USA News & Notes

Midfielder Clint Dempsey, sidelined with a shoulder injury, remains in London and hopes to be ready, if needed, for Wednsday's match against Costa Rica at RFK Stadium. Said Bob Bradley: "He has made progress this week and we will address it over the next day or two. At this time, he is still clearly an option to bring him into D.C."

USA yellow cards: Altidore, Bocanegra, Casey, Cherundolo, Clark, Donovan, Feilhaber, Hejduk. Another one will result in suspension for Wednesday's match.

Landon Donovan, on the setting in Central American stadiums: "For us, there is an aspect of intimidation if you allow it to be, but there's also an aspect of excitement. It's better than playing in a stadium that is empty. For those of us who really enjoy competing, we like situations like this.

"The unique thing in a lot of [Central American] countries is the passion of everyone in the stadium. Generally, when you play in Europe, you get a section of the stadium that is passionate - maybe 3-4-5-10,000 people. But here it's going to be 25-30,000 -- whatever the stadium holds -- incredibly passionate people. You can just feel the difference in the energy."

Bradley, on preparing for the early stage of the match: "We will certainly be ready for the fact that, with their crowd behind them, we expect them to come out flying and we need to be able to match their intensity early on and have the right kind of energy but to do it in a smart way. You can't be so anxious to establish your side of things that you leave gaps and spaces. There is an element of managing the game early on but we've learned the necessity for positive energy so now we have a good start."

Much more on the continuation of this thread.....

Donovan, on the opportunity to clinch a World Cup berth: "In a perfect world, we do it tomorrow. Our objective is to win the game. That being said, if we give it our best shot and we don't win, we've been through this process enough times that we know how to get mentally and physically ready for Wednesday if we need to.

"For me, and I think I speak for the guys who were in Germany in 2006, this would be an opportunity at redemption in some ways -- to get to the World Cup and do better than we did last time. It has certainly been part of my motivation along the way. This is obviously the biggest step to getting there: winning the final game to get you there."

Donovan, on so many players carrying yellow cards: "You have to think about it. If you have to make a play that is ensuring you are going to qualify in that moment, you make that play and you take a yellow card. But you have got to be smart and aware of it in event that we don't qualify tomorrow and be an option in the next game. You don't want to change the way you play -- and I am not the type of player who is running around the field tackling people in general -- but you do think about it if you are going into a challenge that maybe 40 percent of the time you are going to win and 60 percent you are not. Maybe you think about it for a second, but you don't want to let it dictate the way you play. The other thing is that tomorrow is the most important game right now, and if we can win tomorrow, it doesn't matter how many yellow cards we pick up."

Carlos Bocanegra, on TV coverage in the States limited to closed circuit in bars and restaurants: "It's pretty sad."

Added Onyewu: "I didn't even think [my family in Washington] knew it wasn't televised until I told them today."

Onyewu, on the attractiveness of the match: "Tomorrow might not be the prettiest of games, but if we are able to come out with three points playing a terrible game, I am going to be the happiest man in the world after 90 minutes."

Bocanegra, on what it would mean to reach the World Cup again: "I remember the passion of the Italy game [in 2006], just the feeling inside of pride, of being able to represent your nation, your country, and knowing just how many people are behind you, pulling for you. It's a special feeling, something that's not replicated ever. Even the buzz after the Confederations Cup, going back home, people who don't normally watch soccer were like, 'Good job beating Spain.' We saw [NASCAR driver] Jeff Gordon backstage at the ESPYs and he made a point to come up to us and say how cool it was. It's crazy how many people soccer touches, and the World Cup is the biggest stage of it all. It's not hard to get movitated to get back to it again."

By Steve Goff  |  October 9, 2009; 7:03 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United at Crossroads?
Next: Saturday Kickaround

Comments

Win now. Come home and win again. Let's go US.

Posted by: ratco | October 9, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I have a different take on TV watching.

Assuming that we are outraged at the fact that the rights were sold to a company that is making viewing available only to those who will go to a soccer bar and pay $15 to $20, isn't a boycott the right response? It's not as if being in the bar will do our team any good -- not like being in a stadium for an overpriced seat. The company owning the rights obviously made the calculation that it could make more money through its chosen strategy than through whatever offer it got from ESPN. The best way to make sure this doesn't happen again is to give future rights-holders clear notice that they just won't get much in the way of revenue from the English-language audience if they follow in the same footsteps

Posted by: DCUSince96 | October 9, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have some good leads on where I can watch this game online? Not only am I not able to watch it at home, I'm not AT home (and nowhere near Summers) so my choices are pretty limited beyond an online feed and the ESPN Gamecast.

Posted by: daandre3 | October 9, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

* Onyewu, on the attractiveness of the match: "Tomorrow might not be the prettiest of games..."

* Landon Donovan, on the setting in Central American stadiums: "For us, there is an aspect of intimidation if you allow it to be..."

Maybe this is a match we don't want to watch.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 9, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daandre3
---------------

I can't guarantee success, but I'm going to try www.livesoccer.tv and www.justin.tv.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | October 9, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigBubba1 | October 9, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing there will be some Justin.TV type feeds coming out of Honduras at or near kickoff. It's on free TV down there and there's gotta be at least a few computer/soccer geeks that would do it.

I'm kind of disappointed I have to pay to see it but don't feel any real outrage about it and will be at Molly Malone's.

The yellow card situation is pretty serious. If we are doing poorly Bradley might want to pull Donovan early (before he gets a yellow for whatever arbitrary reason) so he can be ready for Costa Rica at RFK.

Losing any of Altidore, Bocanegra, Cherundolo, or Clark to yellow card accumulation would be costly, too, but they are not as hard to replace with players of similar skill and value.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 9, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm not exactly "confident" after reading those quotes, but I suppose it's nothing all that new. Those guys have been through it.

Vamos Yanquis

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 10, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

I have a Rugby match in the afternoon, and plan on still being in the midst of heavy drinking at 8pm.

Posted by: alecw81 | October 10, 2009 3:09 AM | Report abuse

===

Would you be confident if they had said, "They have some good players, but in the end we should come away with three points."

I wouldn't have been. I would have been worried that they were not recognizing the gravity of the situation.

Posted by: mason08 | October 10, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Joel_M_Lane and other guys hoping to watch it on JTV,
how about emailing Honduran dudes who have a soccer channel on justin TV ahead of time. I'll be at a concert, but thats what I would do if I was hoping to watch it. You could try searching "honduras" or "marathon" in jtv

Posted by: alespar415 | October 10, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse